NEXT UPDATE: Spellfocus Conjuration

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Nachti
Retired Staff

Re: NEXT UPDATE: Spellfocus Conjuration

Unread post by Nachti »

Planehopper wrote:In my previous experience it was AC that was pretty horrible, even buffed. Did the AC get adjusted at all?

Can't wait to try out all the new summons soon!
No change to AC. Outsiders have DR to help being hit and arcanes can buff AC by +13.
Such as True Name (new feat? )
No new feat. Its included into current system. Basically you cast planar spells on an item instead on ground. See wiki.
I can also see there was a bell curve where summons didn't get weaker until about midway up, then capped at 18HD with Gate. Which means Greater Plan Binding (which should be at least 16HD based in my opinion to match with Summon Creature XIII as they are the same level spell.
Outsiders are 2 levels lower because they are a superior race compared to undead, animals or elementals. It gonna stay like this.
What I can't see agreeing with is why Red Wizards getting a +1 HD for focusing in Conjuration.
Read the lore about red wizards. They basically live the school they pick.

With true naming anyone can get up to the HD of a red wizard.
On another note.. .does True Neutral have the ability to summon ANY alignment restricted planar summons? Or would you only be having true neutral beings to summon? Just saying...
Yes. true neutral is propably overpowered because they can summon everything. A creature just cant be summoned if you have the opposite alignment to it.

Sometimes I think true neutrals should face alignment changes with every step they do.
Last word on Thaumaturge... it is OK for what it does. Even a 5 level PRC. All it really gives is extended summons (which most buffs fade out anyways extended) and saves you using a higher spell level.. where it shines is casting level 9 summon spells, but that is about it. Augment summon can be had for the same number of feats. I think going 5 levels of Thaum should be included in the calculation for HD, even if it is only +1 HD at level 5. Just my two coppers.
You forgot planar cohort. It gives you a extra creature up to 19 HD. Thats pretty damn strong.
Nachti
Retired Staff

Unread post by Nachti »

Planehopper wrote:
In my previous experience it was AC that was pretty horrible, even buffed. Did the AC get adjusted at all?

Can't wait to try out all the new summons soon!

No change to AC. Outsiders have DR to help being hit and arcanes can buff AC by +13.
Oh wrong. some true named beings have increased AC.
Glowfire

Unread post by Glowfire »

I'm wondering something over the True Name creatures bound in diamonds.

Do all the Thaumaturge feats affect them?

Do they have the auto-extended use, and does the permanent planar binding affect them too? IE you can have one of them out without the timer.
Power is the most persuasive rhetoric.
Friedrich von Schiller
dedude
Retired Staff

Unread post by dedude »

Yes they function just as any selection from the planar spells.
Nachti
Retired Staff

Unread post by Nachti »

Just a word....

Balancing can always happen. While I stick to the concept of getting additonal HD through spellfocus, the numbers might change in the future due to balancing.
ubergish

Unread post by ubergish »

Nachti wrote:Just a word....

Balancing can always happen. While I stick to the concept of getting additonal HD through spellfocus, the numbers might change in the future due to balancing.
I'm new here, but I like that spellfocus increases summon strength. Previously, spell focus in any 'non-dc' school was useless (Specialization is still pretty useless for most schools). I'd like to see more of these boons, but not necessarily in a fashion that hurts current 'generalists'.

Return to “Archive”