NEXT UPDATE : Harper Priest

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Valefort
Retired Admin

NEXT UPDATE : Harper Priest

Unread post by Valefort »

Harper Priest

Some Harpers choose to pursue a closer relationship to the deities who inspired the creation of the Harpers.

Requirements
Alignment: Any nonevil.
Skills: Diplomacy 4 ranks , Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks , Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks , Spellcraft 8 ranks
Feats: Alertness , Iron Will
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 3rd-level divine spells.

Class Features
Hit die: d8
Base Attack Bonus: Medium
High Saves: Fort, Will
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple weapons
Armor Proficiencies: All types of armor (light, medium, and heavy) and shields (not tower shields).
Skill points: 4 + Int
Class Skills: Concentration, all Crafting skills, Diplomacy, Heal, all Lore skills, Listen, Perform, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Tumble.

Class Abilities:
Level 1: Blessing, Harper's knowledge
Level 2: Blessing
Level 3: Blessing
Level 4: Greater Blessing
Level 5: Greater Blessing

Spells per Day: A Harper priest's training focuses on magic. Thus, when a character gains a new level of Harper priest, she gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in whatever divine spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (improved chance of controlling or rebuking undead, metamagic or item creation feats, and so on).

If a character had more than one divine spellcasting class before she became a Harper priest, she must decide to which class she adds each level of Harper priest for purposes of determining spells per day when she adds the new level.

Harper Knowledge: Like a bard, a Harper Priest has a knack for picking up odd bits of knowledge. This ability works exactly like the bardic knowledge ability of the bard class. If a Harper Priest has bard levels (or levels in another class with the same ability, such as loremaster or Harper scout), her Harper Priest levels and bard levels (or levels in the other appropriate class) stack for the purpose of using Harper knowledge.

Blessings: At level 1,2 and 3, a Harper priest may choose one blessing from the list of blessings below.

Greater Blessing: At level 4 and 5 a Harper Priest may choose one greater blessing from the list of Greater blessings below.

List of Blessings:
  • Deneir's Eye: The Harper Priest gains a +3 sacred bonus to saving throws against traps. This is a supernatural ability.
  • Lliira's Heart The Harper Priest gains a +2 sacred bonus to saving throws against mind-affecting spells. This is a supernatural ability.
  • Tymora's smile The Harper Priest, once per day, receives a +2 sacred bonus on all saving throws for 5 turns. This is a supernatural ability.
  • Mystra's boon The Harper Priest gains a +2 sacred bonus on all saves against spells.
  • Silvanus's Calm: You get the Combat Focus feat.
List of Greater Blessings:
  • Eldath's Soothing Pool: This spell conjures a magical pool of water. All friendly creatures staying near the fountain gain fast healing 5, are cured from any disease and are immune to all mind affecting spells.

Duration : 1 round /caster level.
  • Lliira's candle of calm:
    Level : 6
    School : Evocation
    Target: 1 to 4 creatures in a Gargantuan area.
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell conjures a lit magical candle, all creatures in a 70 feet radius must make a will saving throw. If they fail they are blind for 1d4 rounds and take a -5 AB penalty for 1 round/CL, if not they take a -5 AB for 2 rounds, then -4 AB for 2 rounds, -3 AB for 2 rounds, -2 AB for 2 rounds, -1 AB for 2 rounds.
  • Milil's Forgotten Melody:
    Level : 5
    School : Enchantment
    Target: 1 to 4 creatures in a Colossal area.
    Saving Throw: Will negates

To set this spell in motion, the caster sings the first phrase or the chorus of a tuneful, catchy song. Those potentially affected by the forgotten melody must each make a successful will saving throw at a -4 penalty or become obsessed with that song.
    Those affected cannot get the song out of their beads until they finish it, and they worry the lyrics around in their minds over and over, trying to remember them and complete the song. While trying to finish the song, those affected cannot cast spells or use psionic abilities since they cannot focus on any other intense mental activity other than finishing the song. This spell is especially devastating to very intelligent beings, since it subverts their ability to concentrate intensely.
    The duration is determined by the intelligence of the individual affected: beings who fail their saving throws are affected for a number of rounds equal to their intelligence modifier minus their wisdom modifier (a negative wisdom modifier will make the spell last longer)
  • Mielikki's Forest Hunter: Swift Tracker
    Reqs: Dexterity 13
  • Mystra's Secret Spell Stash: Magic Missile infinite times/day, cast at your CL.
    Reqs: Intelligence 13
  • Shaundakul's binding:
    Target: One Creature
    Saving Throw: Reflex negates

Calling upon the power of elemental air, you encircle the target in whipping winds.

The subject can act normally, but it cannot move from its current location. The winds carry its voice away, so it can speak but cannot be heard, and it cannot hear anything but the roar of the winds.

Furthermore, no sonic or language dependent spells or effects can be cast into or out of the winds though spells cast by you upon yourself function normally).

Specifics : Your movespeed is reduced to 0, you are silenced and incur a concentration penalty equal to the caster's caster level.
  • Oghma's Greatest Book, Volume III: +10 on knowledge checks for 5 minutes, 1/day
    Reqs: Intelligence 13
  • Tymora's Luck Rabbit: spell level : 5
    Target : 1 creature
    Duration : 10 min/level

The spell target gains a bonus to natural armor equal to the caster level /5, capped at 4, +1 to all saving throws, +2 at CL 20 and +1 to all skills.

Reqs: Dexterity 13
  • Seldarine's Gift: You can summon forth a +5 magic longbow, mighty 5, the bow cannot be given and dissapears at the end of the day. You also gain the elven weapon proficiency for the duration of the spell.
  • Selûne's Radiance: Turn Undead Progression
  • Lurue's voice: Animal Companion Progression
Last edited by Valefort on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
Sun Wukong

Re: NEXT UPDATE : Harper Priest

Unread post by Sun Wukong »

Shaundakul's Binding... Kind of sounds like Divine Version of Bigby Six, followed by a Blade Barrier where the poor guy is standing. But since it has that spell resistance check, I suppose Lesser Mantle spam should counter it...

Mystra's Secret Spell Stash... It just makes me cackle with mad laughter... :lol:

Milil's Forgotten Melody... What is a saving throw against spells here? Will? It sounds like PvP ability, but it really is not. +4 Greater Heroism, +6 Superior Resistance, +8 Protection Against spells, +6 Spellcraft ranks... And high will save progression... So this ability is something to be used against some boss or nasty mob caster...

What are these saves against spells? We are not playing AD&D here...
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
Valefort
Retired Admin

It's will yes.
Sun Wukong

If you got those two feats to spare, and are going for a DC based cleric, there are very few reasons not to take it. It technically offers little bit of everything no matter what your character is.

I mean, high wisdom build with Zen Archery and Seldarine's Gift just work lovely together.
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 »

Are the available blessings tied to the clerics deity or are they free to chose regardless of his/her faith ?
Sun Wukong

I think they are free to choose any blessing.
- Elminster, probably.
Valefort
Retired Admin

Yes, free.
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper »

The MM from Mystras spell stash.. is it affected by autoquucken 0-1?
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Player Housing Guidelines

View-Intention-Speech-Action-Livelihood-Effort-Mindfulness-Concentration
Hawke

Unread post by Hawke »

I have to interject here, that once again, divines get some serious boost in power and little of the drawbacks as arcanes do. And where are the requirements at? Easier to obtain than Harper Mage? 4 Skill points is 4 skill points.

Level 1-3 blessing are fine. Nothing wrong with those.

The 4-5 level blessings, over the top. So much power oozing from this, it's ridiculous.

Eldath's Soothing Pool- Like a Mass Regeneration (lite) that cures the target from pretty much all ailments.

Lliira's candle of calm- -5AB for 30 rounds up to 4 creatures. That is pretty huge. Definite boss artillery.

Milil's Forgotten Melody- Souped up Silence spell with a -4 penalty to the will save. What?

Mielikki's Forest Hunter- You cannot get swift tracker unless you put levels into a class. There is no available feat for this, but 4 levels of this class and you are golden if that is what you are looking to get. 13 Dex requirement?

Mystra's Secret Spell Stash- Stop. Just Stop. This is BS, utter and total BS. Unlimited castings of Magic missile cast at your CL?

Shaundakul's binding- Another silence spell for offensive magics. It works like a souped up Bigby.

Oghma's Greatest Book, Volume III- This is actually ok.

Tymora's Luck Rabbit- This isn't too bad, it acts like a heroism/spiderskin. Feels pretty balanced.

Seldarine's Gift- Stop smoking whatever it is. Just.... stop. a +5 enhancement range weapon. Even a level 7 spell does not even have this capability. Plus it gives you the ability to equip Rapiers and Longswords? For the entire day?

Selûne's Radiance: No issues.

Lurue's voice- No Issues.

Let's look at Harper Mage real fast.

Skill Focus Spellcraft.
Knowledge Skill Focus - Any
Extend Spell
Spell Focus - Any

Not one of those "feats" are overpowered or exclusive to a class. Extend spell? Nice to have. Spell focus... meh depends if you are going to go Thaumaturge or AM. Skill foci? Nice to have, has nothing to do with game play.

I seriously reject what is being given to the Harper Priest. It's Heiraphant all over again. All of the Archmage boons, plus more, with ZERO drawbacks. This is not balanced, not even in the slightest.
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Unread post by mrm3ntalist »

Hawke wrote:Stop smoking whatever it is. Just.... stop.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: > :arrow: No
Level 1-3 blessing are fine. Nothing wrong with those.
Nothing wrong with those blessing. That is good.
The 4-5 level blessings, over the top. So much power oozing from this, it's ridiculous.

Eldath's Soothing Pool- Like a Mass Regeneration (lite) that cures the target from pretty much all ailments.

Lliira's candle of calm- -5AB for 30 rounds up to 4 creatures. That is pretty huge. Definite boss artillery.

Milil's Forgotten Melody- Souped up Silence spell with a -4 penalty to the will save. What?

Mielikki's Forest Hunter- You cannot get swift tracker unless you put levels into a class. There is no available feat for this, but 4 levels of this class and you are golden if that is what you are looking to get. 13 Dex requirement?

Mystra's Secret Spell Stash- Stop. Just Stop. This is BS, utter and total BS. Unlimited castings of Magic missile cast at your CL?

Shaundakul's binding- Another silence spell for offensive magics. It works like a souped up Bigby.

Oghma's Greatest Book, Volume III- This is actually ok.

Tymora's Luck Rabbit- This isn't too bad, it acts like a heroism/spiderskin. Feels pretty balanced.

Seldarine's Gift- Stop smoking whatever it is. Just.... stop. a +5 enhancement range weapon. Even a level 7 spell does not even have this capability. Plus it gives you the ability to equip Rapiers and Longswords? For the entire day?

Selûne's Radiance: No issues.

Lurue's voice- No Issues.
You can select two Gr. blessing and that is it. You wont have them as spells, rather like SLAs 1x per rest. No extend no empower. You are very quick to "balance" ( :lol: ) those blessings, probably because you feel it lacks in comparison to Harper Mage - which it doesnt.
Let's look at Harper Mage real fast.

Skill Focus Spellcraft.
Knowledge Skill Focus - Any
Extend Spell
Spell Focus - Any

Not one of those "feats" are overpowered or exclusive to a class. Extend spell? Nice to have. Spell focus... meh depends if you are going to go Thaumaturge or AM. Skill foci? Nice to have, has nothing to do with game play.

I seriously reject what is being given to the Harper Priest. It's Heiraphant all over again. All of the Archmage boons, plus more, with ZERO drawbacks. This is not balanced, not even in the slightest.
This is Bladesinger all over again. In order to avoid 26 pages of back and forth, the possibility of someone rage quiting, lets avoid comments like smoking drugs, or "seriously reject" comments etc. You expressed - very critical - your concerns. Now wait to play the PRC.

There was no balance concern with this PRC. The Gr blessings are close to useless and like a mentioned before, there are not spells. You cannot memorize more than one. You Get 2 Gr. Blessings, 1 use per day and that is it.
IS EMOTIONAL KEKW - GIT GUD

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

Spelling mistakes are purposely entered for your entertainment!
Valefort
Retired Admin

On Eldath's soothing pool : it looks like a powered up vigorous cycle but it is stationary.

Liirra's candle : Well a bigby 5 gives -10 AB and offers no save, here it's -5 AB and a save.

Millill's forgotten melody : it offers a will save, casting silence at someone's feet will still be more effective.

Mystra's Secret Spell Stash : the max number of magic missiles is 9, 9*(1d4+1) = 9*3.5 = 31.5 damage, it's reserve feat power level...

Shaundakul's binding: that one is undeniably strong, we'll see how it goes

Tymora's Luck Rabbit: funny how I think it's the best one !

Seldarine's Gift: is just a +1 EB compared to the longbows that can be found, hardly something huge. As for rapiers and longswords I'm not sure what's the big deal :?
Mallore

Unread post by Mallore »

Shaundakul's binding:
Target: One Creature
Saving Throw: Reflex negates

Calling upon the power of elemental air, you encircle the target in whipping winds.

The subject can act normally, but it cannot move from its current location. The winds carry its voice away, so it can speak but cannot be heard, and it cannot hear anything but the roar of the winds.

Furthermore, no sonic or language dependent spells or effects can be cast into or out of the winds though spells cast by you upon yourself function normally).

Specifics : Your movespeed is reduced to 0, you are silenced and incur a concentration penalty equal to the caster's caster level.

I like this ability, it is rather fine to. Its not a bigbys infact its better in some ways and worse in others. Its nice to see a bigby like affect that shuts down spell casting, but to be fair is this subject to some sort of counter spell?

I like this ability because its Ref Save, so its not going to stop a Rogue or Monk which can be two very scary things for a Priest Class to Face. In truth a lot of the other higher save Builds out there will probably end up with a 50/50 shot against this and will survive. I do think this ability is pretty cool over all.

Question will we see this affecting bosses? a stationary boss is a big deal
Jane of Here and There (Jane Price)

...also

Jennifer and A Drow.
Hawke

Unread post by Hawke »

I did not mean to offend personally. My apologies.

I still stand by the greater blessings being too strong compared to Harper mage. I disagree that Harper mage and priest should not be compared. These classes are comparable as a specialized offshoots of the prime class Harper agent.

The greater blessings are issue. Does not matter you only get 2, what matters is that you get some very beefy abilities that you cannot get anywhere else or it is part of specific classes.

The power level should be comparable between the 2 classes. For 5 level prc, it is very strong.

I still stand by my opinions with Harper Priest and heiraphant. Both are examples of divines being much stronger than the arcane equivalents.
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

If I may make a recommendation, give things a few months to settle in. Fact is that GMW = +5 swords and has forever, very little that the Greater Blessings do is not available mechanically in some similar type of fashion. In addition, at least from a PvP perspective DC Mage is unequivocally at the top of the heap (can that even be argued?) so it is not as if Harper Priest is somehow changing that around. It should also be considered for any Harper class that the 2 feats requirements are basically useless whether you are focusing on being a caster or a Gish so in most cases you are giving up some power in order to just be allowed to take the class. Harper Mage getting Extend spell and Spell Focus somewhat makes up for the 'feat tax' while Harper Priest gains a couple of minor and greater blessings. As I said, they don't really do anything all that different than other abilities that already exist, they just do it with a different flavor.

Several of us did test these PRC's and did not find them capable of changing the 'power rankings' of PRC's for either divine or arcane PC's. I can't speak with the voice of "QC", but based on my findings and the posts from others during testing there is not anything that is going to make the Harper's of this server the undisputed rulers of our little corner of the internet.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
Rudolph

Unread post by Rudolph »

Thanks as ever for all the game-expanding work! Something new to build around - yay.

Questions:
1) Does one creature in Tymora's Luck Rabbit include the caster? It sounds like it does, just wanna confirm.
2) Is the longbow in Seldarine's gift a +5 EB or AB longbow? Can it be wielded by halflings without them having the Monkey Grip feat?
3) Where can I find a clear description of the Combat Focus feat line (how the focus gets triggered, etc.)?
4) "All types of armor ... and shields" - does that include Tower Shields?
Last edited by Rudolph on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Archive”