NEXT UPDATE : Pack Horses

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

dedude
Retired Staff

NEXT UPDATE : Pack Horses

Unread post by dedude »

Pack horses will be open for the public. Note that the system is in a BETA state for the time being, so don't start storing your epic items on horses until you/we feel confident that no serious bugs managed to sneak past our internal tests.

Also note that it is currently only available on the surface. The UD will get their own version in one of the following updates.

I created a wiki page for the system.
Lockonnow

Re: NEXT UPDATE : Pack Horses

Unread post by Lockonnow »

it is a idea take from a other game like dungeon siege
Laughingman

Unread post by Laughingman »

What happens to stored items when the horse dies?

How much will it cost?

Can players run around killing them (in a troll like manner)?

Is there a secure stable for them somewhere that will effectively become a bank?

Will there be naming rules?

How long will the beta likely take assuming no major problems?

Why was this implemented over the static storage/banking system formerly in place?
Konosuba taught me cool wizards don't look at explosions.

Aurora Silverstaff (Wizardess and cleric of istishia)
Any DM's that want to work with me on her goals please send a PM!
Monday-Friday 6pm EST to 10pm EST
Saturday-Sunday on and off all day!
dedude
Retired Staff

Unread post by dedude »

Laughingman wrote:What happens to stored items when the horse dies?
https://wiki.bgtscc.net/index.php?title=Pack_Horses wrote:If the horse dies, it is dead. You can buy a new one at a horse merchant and have the option to pay him to have all content of the old saddlebag retrieved.
Laughingman wrote:How much will it cost?
Talk with your local horse merchant about that (after the update)
Laughingman wrote:Can players run around killing them (in a troll like manner)?
Yes they can, if the horse is out it can be killed. For now, that is considered against the PvP rules if no PvP consent is given. Horse killers are automatically reported to the DMs though. This may change in the future, though.
Laughingman wrote:Is there a secure stable for them somewhere that will effectively become a bank?
https://wiki.bgtscc.net/index.php?title=Pack_Horses wrote:Horse Merchant Services:
  • Sell/Buy pack horses
  • Stable horses
  • Help locate lost horses
  • Retrieve lost saddlebags in case the horse was killed (as part of buying a replacement horse)
Laughingman wrote:Will there be naming rules?
I'm assuming the same rules that apply to characters apply to horses. Just keep it IC.
Laughingman wrote:How long will the beta likely take assuming no major problems?
Hard to say, but if no problems are found I would say 1-2 months.
Laughingman wrote:Why was this implemented over the static storage/banking system formerly in place?
It was not. Both systems are available next update.
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

A note on storage vs. pack horses...

Storage:
The idea is that if you store items with merchant a, then only merchant a can be used to retrieve them. Thus if you are at FAI and you store items with someone at FAI then great! However, if you left some item in Nashkel then you're going to have to trek down there to retrieve said item.

Packhorse:
The idea is you can take your packhorse from BG to FAI, to Nashkel, or wherever else. You can stable the packhorse in town, go adventure and then retrieve your packhorse as needed between adventures to load it up with any goods that you don't want to sell at the time. There is danger involved when traveling with a packhorse, but this can easily be mitigated with things like teleport, invisibility, buffs and the like, or simply by not traveling any roads that are overly dangerous.

Point being to do our best to make both systems as IC'ly accurate while still useful. If you just want someplace to store an item that you utilize only for certain events then static storage is the way to go. Such as perhaps a Morninglord of Lathander storing ceremonial garb in storage somewhere in Beregost because they will only use it during specific events with players/DM's related to RP within the Temple. However, if you need access to your storage, such as for merchant RP then you'll want a packhorse. Many of my characters will likely utilize both for different circumstances! :D
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
Laughingman

Unread post by Laughingman »

dedude wrote:
Laughingman wrote:What happens to stored items when the horse dies?
https://wiki.bgtscc.net/index.php?title=Pack_Horses wrote:If the horse dies, it is dead. You can buy a new one at a horse merchant and have the option to pay him to have all content of the old saddlebag retrieved.
So will people be able to loot it was more what I was curious about.
dedude wrote:
Laughingman wrote:Is there a secure stable for them somewhere that will effectively become a bank?
https://wiki.bgtscc.net/index.php?title=Pack_Horses wrote:Horse Merchant Services:
  • Sell/Buy pack horses
  • Stable horses
  • Help locate lost horses
  • Retrieve lost saddlebags in case the horse was killed (as part of buying a replacement horse)
This really doesn't say if horses would be accessable while stabled. However it's not a big deal since this is not replacing normal storage but merely supplementing it. Personally the risk of ooc trolling will probably make it not worth messing with for me. I am extremely happy we will be getting back storage (this has been a tough few months for wizards!)
Konosuba taught me cool wizards don't look at explosions.

Aurora Silverstaff (Wizardess and cleric of istishia)
Any DM's that want to work with me on her goals please send a PM!
Monday-Friday 6pm EST to 10pm EST
Saturday-Sunday on and off all day!
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Laughingman wrote:So will people be able to loot it was more what I was curious about.
No, the dead horse would not leave behind a loot bag. While this would IC'ly be more accurate, it leaves the door very wide for potential griefing and is not to be encouraged.
Laughingman wrote:This really doesn't say if horses would be accessable while stabled. However it's not a big deal since this is not replacing normal storage but merely supplementing it. Personally the risk of ooc trolling will probably make it not worth messing with for me. I am extremely happy we will be getting back storage (this has been a tough few months for wizards!)
No, the only way to access Packhorse storage is to get the horse out of the stable and then 'talk' to it to remove the saddle bag. This then puts a lootable container on the ground. When this container is on the ground is the ONLY time there would be any risk of another player taking your stuff. So long as you remove the container, get what you need, and then 'talk' to your horse to replace the saddlebags there are no issues. There was one issue where you could leave your saddlebag on the ground and then leave the area, but dedude fixed it so the saddlebag is auto-replaced if you transition from the area, just in case someone forgets.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Glowfire

Unread post by Glowfire »

If the container is on the ground and the server crashes, will the contents be lost?

I also assume that the horse will follow its owner through all transitions? So if one goes to FAI, one should stable the horse before entering the interior or there's an awkward moment with Bentley wondering why a horse was brought inside?
Power is the most persuasive rhetoric.
Friedrich von Schiller
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Glowfire wrote:If the container is on the ground and the server crashes, will the contents be lost?

I also assume that the horse will follow its owner through all transitions? So if one goes to FAI, one should stable the horse before entering the interior or there's an awkward moment with Bentley wondering why a horse was brought inside?
I don't know how to cause a server crash so can't respond specifically to that. However, I did test leaving the horse out and then checking after reset as well as leaving the loot bag out and waiting for reset. In both cases I was able to have the stable master send someone out to locate and return my horse and all storage was still there.

As to RP of a horse being brought in doors I imagine the DM's would say something to the extent of "god modding NPC's cuz they can't react without a DM present".

Glowfire

Unread post by Glowfire »

Was more or less wondering if the horse always follows along... Which it seems it does! Guess one has to be mindful in places with exteriors and interiors.
Power is the most persuasive rhetoric.
Friedrich von Schiller
dedude
Retired Staff

Unread post by dedude »

When you are leading the horse it is in effect dominated and can be controlled like a summon. But I would advice people to tie down the horse before entering an inn. :lol:

Or stable it at a horse merchant. When stabled the horse is safe and not present in the game world.

When a saddlebag is on the ground the player is aware whether the contents are persisted or not.
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper »

Does opening the container bring you out of stealth (like a chest?)?

Is there any protection from player B running up and snatch-n-grabbing player A's saddle bag when it is on the ground?
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Player Housing Guidelines

View-Intention-Speech-Action-Livelihood-Effort-Mindfulness-Concentration
aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 »

still think this should happen when a mule is killed:
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley
dedude
Retired Staff

Unread post by dedude »

Planehopper wrote:Does opening the container bring you out of stealth (like a chest?)?

Is there any protection from player B running up and snatch-n-grabbing player A's saddle bag when it is on the ground?
Hmm, I hadn't thought of that actually. I added the same sneak removal as chests have, and a message to the owner that someone touched his stuff.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

dedude wrote:
Planehopper wrote:Does opening the container bring you out of stealth (like a chest?)?

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that actually. I added the same sneak removal as chests have, and a message to the owner that someone touched his stuff.
Can you add a Epic Mule Kick on the perp, as well?!? :o
:lol:

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.

Return to “Archive”