NEXT UPDATE : Pack Horses

Moderators: Moderator, Associate Dev, Developer, Quality Control, DM

RaiderOne

Re: NEXT UPDATE : Pack Horses

Unread post by RaiderOne »

I understand that playing a game such as this is never perfect as there is never a DM to witness and control every situation. That being said the rules here are very much in favour of the individual, and the only penalty the game ever enforces is 100xp per level on death. Not that this is a discussion about the death XP penalty – which I think is fine.

You can mule items both IC and OOC – which to me seems like playing legal loop holes but having been on other servers it’s a nightmare to enforce a no mules policy.

Now because this exists it begs the question why does the server need pack mules? Because mechanically it’s just saying I want to mule items IC. In a RL game you never need a mule to carry all your magical swords/armour, it’s for provisions and travel.

So for me, if features such as this are implemented I would like them to not be hidden behind special protection rules. If your character is stupid enough to go walking in the hills all alone with a donkey then is going to get eaten by orcs, and they will steal your stuff, in the same way you steal theirs. So I would prefer open pvp and stealing from pack mules/ loss of some items on its death etc. if you choose to play the game you have to accept the consequences.

Valefort
Retired Staff

Unread post by Valefort »

That's my opinion as well, however in this version it is something you can choose to accept for RP's sake which is not too bad.
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler

Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Valefort wrote:That's my opinion as well, however in this version it is something you can choose to accept for RP's sake which is not too bad.
Would it be possible to 'Select' whether a Mule is eatable, steal-able or slay-able? Kinda like how we can adjust/select the outcome of PvP?

That way, a Player could actually Toggle Select and Invite another to try and steal his Epic Mule of Loots....! :twisted:

*plans lure adequately....*
Storybuilding

|> Jon SmytheChionthar Charter & Seaward Supply Co. — Path of the Mindful Blade & Seafarer
|> Monserrate — Circle of Rust and the Worm

Calodan

Unread post by Calodan »

Steve wrote:
Valefort wrote:That's my opinion as well, however in this version it is something you can choose to accept for RP's sake which is not too bad.
Would it be possible to 'Select' whether a Mule is eatable, steal-able or slay-able? Kinda like how we can adjust/select the outcome of PvP?

That way, a Player could actually Toggle Select and Invite another to try and steal his Epic Mule of Loots....! :twisted:

*plans lure adequately....*

I agree why not let the player choose? The applications for this are huge. Yes evil players will lure people out to ambush them most likely and so will Harpers to evil thugs.....That is the point of such mechanisms. To provide a modality of RP for those who wish to do that.
Kory Sentinel
"We should take the army head on!"

"... it sounds like a terrible idea, but look at that smile."
"And he just sounds so confident ... he is a favored soul."
"Even if we don't survive, he will, and isn't that what matters?" -Red Lancer

RaiderOne

As a followup thought, the 'item bank' system could be the 100% protection system but costs gold to store items. The donkey becomes the cheaper but riskier (and more fun for RP etc) option but only costs you when it dies/gets robbed?

RaiderOne

Calodan wrote:I agree why not let the player choose? The applications for this are huge. Yes evil players will lure people out to ambush them most likely and so will Harpers to evil thugs.....That is the point of such mechanisms. To provide a modality of RP for those who wish to do that.
I think the choice should be using the donkey or not. if you want to be safe you choose the item bank or use a character mule, if you want the opportunities to RP the threats you choose the donkey.

dedude
Retired Staff

Unread post by dedude »

I agree with pretty much all of that. But current implementation is aligned with how the rest of the server works regarding PvP, loss, death, etc. I would encourage you to start a petition for changing some of that though, especially my personal nemesis: muling. Expect a small group of very vocal opposition though.

Valefort
Retired Staff

Remember that the primary use of the donkey is to carry heavy things like IRL :P

RaiderOne

Valefort wrote:Remember that the primary use of the donkey is to carry heavy things like IRL :P
Yes but real people don't go into caves to fight orcs and kobolds that produce magical/valuable swords, armour, and other such items from their "insert descriptive terms here".

If you was an actual merchant carrying grain, cloth, spices, or whatever then the normal use of a donkey makes sense. Player characters in NWN2 (and its infinite magical gold economy) are not these people and have no means to be.

I guess for me it is that the donkey should be a primary RP mechanic and not a in-game mechanic.

also, do you not think the donkey as per its implementation is just going to be for low strength characters?

Valefort
Retired Staff

Yes, that and merchant RP.

Glowfire

Unread post by Glowfire »

I think it will be very good for merchant RP. The difficulty with merchant RP has been that it's really only been viable to store things on mules.
Kazimir Resnik Travelling priest.
Chairman of the Golden Wheel Trading Company
Tell me stories; Tell me lies
Lonely Life - Am & Shawn Lee
Adelaide van de Saer Loving priestess.
[Hiatus/On request]

Laughingman

Unread post by Laughingman »

So here is the real question: Will Paladins get free horses that gain stats with level progression as it is in pnp?

ok.... I know this wont happen but still.
Konosuba taught me cool wizards don't look at explosions.

Aurora Silverstaff (Wizardess and cleric of istishia)
Any DM's that want to work with me on her goals please send a PM!
Monday-Friday 6pm EST to 10pm EST
Saturday-Sunday on and off all day!

Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 »

Will packmules follow the player everywhere even deep into dungeon, use ladders, ropes, elevators........... or are most dungeons a No-packmule zone ?

chad878262
Quality Control

Unread post by chad878262 »

They will follow you in... good luck keeping them alive though.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands

Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

Suggestion:

Techsmith Gondsman, Druid & Ranger animal companion, Thaumaturge Planar Cohort, Pale Master Undead summons, Blackguard Undead/Fiendish servant & Baneguard cohort given the option of being a pack mule for their owner?

Basically any permanent or hour/level summon/companion/cohort would be nice to substitute as a packmule ;)
Tsidkenu wrote:Do you want to panic over something that 99.996 percent of the world population doesn't even have?
Do you want to panic over something that 99.99983% of the world population hasn't even died from?
Off exploring the Electric Universe.