Religion in Baldur's Gate (Player/DM IC RP)

The "Year of the Arch" Campaign

Moderators: Moderator, DM

lum

Religion in Baldur's Gate (Player/DM IC RP)

Unread post by lum »

A few weeks later, Juniper delivers a drawing of what will be the invention she will be working on.
Hidden: show
Invention : Underwater vessel

Purpose : Underwater exploration, underwater assessment of damaged ships . . .

Propulsion system : either manually (pedal geared) or steam powered.

Source of oxygen : either a hose connected to a float unit (which also can be used as exhaust), or saltpeter reaction.

Diving and surfacing : ballast tanks, emptied or filled manually or steam powered.

Navigation through : periscope, a helm, and a glass hull at the front.
Questions/requests :
-I'm asking permission to have someone help me put it all together within those ten days.
-I'm looking for a supplier or crafter to provide the glass. It has to be thick and curved.
-Do you know anyone who may sell potassium nitrate here at the coast? Heading to Lantan and back may take me too long.

Thank in advance!

Juniper-
She leaves some questions, hoping they be answered soon.
Moire Rouge : 'Coins are flat, and are meant to be piled up.'
Juniper : 'Your local tinkerer!'
Kitty -Less hell, more cat-
Athyna of Apecoe -Titan in progress-
Erickar Avery -More than meets the eye-
& Soraya, Jyn R., Bash B., Lux, Rift, Jezebeth, Isabel C., Depheant M., Sona K.
kleomenes
Recognized Donor

Re: Religion in Baldur's Gate (Player/DM IC RP)

Unread post by kleomenes »

It is some months since Ameris Santraeger has given a sermon from the pulpit in the Temple of Ilmater. Yet on this night, as the great and the good gather at the Duchal palace, a public service is announced at the Temple of Ilmater, the call to prayer issued. And while magnates and dignatries attend the Court for a public session, the faithful are called to hear the visiting priest give sermon praising the Broken God.

Ameris arrives with his wife Telia at his side. He is clad in the vestments of faith, his holy symbol on display. He does not wear an eyepatch and the glassy, milky left eye is open the to the world, the wound dealt to him by a most cruel servant of Bhaal. By his side is his wife, Telia, clad in grey, the red of her lips matching the crimson twine wrapped round her pale wrist. She takes a seat in the front pew as Ameris takes up his position at the lectern, waiting with a benevolent smile for the appointed time of his sermon

Ameris smiles about at those who might have gathered, and then begins to speak, warmth in his voice.

“Brothers, Sisters, friends, welcome.”

He speaks in an even tone as he relates a parable of distant lands and times.

"I come from the south, a land called Tethyr, one some of you will know is wracked by war, famine, hate and suffering. It is not the Tethyr of today I wish to speak of, but rather the Tethyr of a thousand years ago, when my homeland was part of a great empire ruled from the vast city of Shoonach on the River Agis, false emperors who had driven the true kings of Tethyr into hiding."

"The Shoon Imperium it was called, a great power indeed, with mighty dark magic and ancient lore. From Shoonach there marched black armoured legions, superbly trained and equipped, their booted feet trampling down the green shoots of freedom in Calimsham, Tethyr, to the east to the Lake of Steam, to the north to Amn. Swift galleys brought the legions across the Shining Sea to what is now the Border Kingdoms and distant Lapaliiya. And everywhere they went, they brought fetters and the slaver's lash, taking freedom even as they took lives."

The priest's expression turns, a frown on his brow, troubled by the horrors he moves on to relate despite them being from long ago.

"So many millions bent their knee to the Emperors of the Shoon. Some lived in finery. Some lived in common drudgery, and some lived in chains, piteous slaves whose degradation would be horrific to you and I. The Emperors dabbled with binding demons, and used undead soldiers to crush resistance. They persecuted the faith of the Ilmatari for generations, as Ilmater is a breaker of chains. No horrors were beneath them, no atrocities too gross to contemplate."

Then, suddenly, Ameris smiles, looking over the congregation in a moment's silence before he continues.

"Yet try as they might, there was one foe they could not defeat. No agent could find it. No legion could crush it. It lived everywhere the Emperor's power could not reach. It lived in the hidden places and in the hearts of men just waiting for a sign."

His smile widens. A warmth in his voice.

"It was hope, the hope for freedom."

Ameris speaks triumphantly now, as if what he relates was inevitable, and glorious.

"So it was when the true kings of Tethyr returned and raised their banners, Tethyrians flocked to them in their thousands almost overnight. While their hope had been hidden deep inside it had never died. This hope was but a candle in each heart, yet it was a burning blaze when they all stood together and swept across Tethyr to Shoonach. There ended the rule of the false emperors in the pyre of their own follies and the hopes of their rebellious subjects."

Ameris is quiet for a few moments, now the parable is done. When he speaks, its with warmth, the fervour of the last passage a memory.

"Baldur's Gate's history is long and storied. Although many have tried, no invader has ever taken way this city's rights and freedoms, and so Baldurians have never been taught to kneel."

He speaks with affection.

"It shows."

The priest continues in praise.

"This is a city of free men and women, built on honest trade and hard work. Here you believe that anyone might be what they wish to be if they work hard enough. And yet when one stumbles here a helping hand is rarely far away."

He relates fond memory.

"Baldurians have open, trusting hearts that accept any and all that come to their gates. Including me. I came dusty booted to your doors, with little more than a skullcap and a quest for a purpose in serving the Broken God. I found such purpose in serving the good people of this city as priest, knight and a servant of liberty. Such a city as this has become my home for near four years, and it is only the blades of Bhaal's servants that have forced me away. I would never choose to leave."

His tone grows a more serious, more firm.

"Freedom is a precious thing, yet it has long been found in abundance here, especially when one compares Baldur's Gate with the nations of the south. It is a place worth fighting for."

A light shines in his eyes as he speaks now of blessed paladins and holy defenders.

"Many have risen to defend Baldur's Gate, and the people within, so that they might live free of fear. Most storied are Jonas Rokranon and the living Saint Merielle, but there have been others. Some walk amongst us still, like Grandmaster Arkaine Halforken, Lady Commander Elvina or Knight Commander Eldarian Al'maire. Others did their duty during the war and moved on, like Aelcar Lightbringer and Reine Arlynson."

"There have been many more heroes who have stood for this city, some sung, some unsung; some rewarded, some satisfied only with knowing they did what they could for the innocent. All of them rose to the threats that have threatened the city, and defeated them. The city has endured, and its people Endure and Persevere despite their trials. Long may it continue to be true, Ilmater willing."

Ameris pauses his sermon. Slowly his face sets into a grim resolve.

His voice, when it comes, is grim.

"And yet, now, the freedom this city enjoys is under attack. Not by force of arms, but by a more insidious foe, a subversion of ideals, a first step on a path towards teaching Baldurians to kneel, when they never have before."

The grimness is chill as he speaks with force.

"There is a castle in the north, named Darkhold. You all know it. Within, it houses men and women whose ethics and methods remind me much of the old Shoon Emperors, and are just as immoral in the eyes of Ilmater. They too dabble with dark magics, and send out disciplined soldiers and merciless agents to crush their foes. They too shackle free men and make them beasts of burden, or worse. They are hungry for power, wealth and dominion and no deed is too dark, no lie too great in order to achieve it."

And now the priest has a saddened tone, relating an unhappy truth.

"They fight by all means, including coin and lies, and false professions of benign friendship. And so it is that the banner of the Zhentarim will now be seen in the city, flying from well guarded caravans as trade begins with that castle in the north. Trade with the Zhentarim, whose soldiers have caused the death of many Flaming Fist and other defenders of the people."

The priest's hands grip on the lectern as an anger grows. Word by word his fury rises, and an angry fire burns in his one good eye

"The Zhentarim, who plotted to bring drow raiders to the surface as their allies and stood behind orcs in proxy wars. Whose manipulations let plague and suffering ravage the settlements north of here."

"The Zhentarim, who are ruled by a man declared priest to a god of hatred, strife and tyranny."

"The Zhentarim, who care nothing for the people of this city beyond how they can be manipulated, exploited, and controlled."

By the end Ameris is in high dudgeon, sweeping his hand out over the congregation.

"A shadow falls on the city, and over everyone in it, as those who use brutality and deceit to dominate all take a step closer to their goal of teaching you to serve."

The priest huffs, taking an angry breath. His grip on the lectern weakens. A smile comes to his lips. He speaks gently compared to before.

"Yet, I remember the Shoon Emperors of long ago, who for all their mighty legions and powerful magic could not break the desire of people to live free before it rose up and consumed them, and I smile."

Certainty enters his voice now.

"For try as hard as they might, the Zhentarim will not crush the freedom of this city. It will live on in the hearts of all those who know what it really is to be Baldurian, who will defy any attempts to cow, intimidate or manipulate them into acceptance of slave fetters and the tyrant's dogma."

And the Ilmatari speaks the next words with fervour, with force.

"And I vow to you this."

He preaches and promises in one.

"Your freedoms are worth fighting for, both by you and by those who love this city for what it is and should be. Knights, priests, poets, soldiers, mages and mystics, golden-hearted scoundrels and free men and women, all will fight tirelessly, ceaselessly, relentlessly against what Hearts of Steel seek to turn this city into."

He pauses, then nods, and speaks the last few words as if they are an afterthought.

"And our words will speak the truth against the selfish pragmatism of those who turn a blind eye to Bane's menace."

He raises his hand to bless those gathered.

"In the name of Ilmater, the wise, the merciful, the enduring."

///delivered ICly during the Duchal Court session last night!

Not sure if this is the right thread or if it should go in a future 1353 thread
Vadim Morozov, Dreadmaster.
Former Characters: Mel Darenda, Daug'aonar, Dural Narkisi, Cynric Greyfox, Ameris Santraeger, Cosimo Delucca, Talas Marsak.
lum

Unread post by lum »

ooc: repost per dm request

After hearing about this annual 'Wonderbringer' contest, Juniper rushed home to fill in a proper application form. She then hurried back with the paper, and when she had to wait at the door of the High House, she practically bounced on the spot repeatedly like a young horse.

Like an electric current was shooting through her body...

Am I scared? Nah... probably not, cause scared people wouldn't typically think on what is coursing through their veins, or why. Scared people would just feel and react.

Hmm... I'm still shaky... my hands still trembling...

She looked at the door. Her face was burning, yet her fingers felt icy cold.

Stop that! There won't be jerks here laughing with whatever you come up with!

Aha! So it was fear!

No, it isn't... it's like... it's like that day when I had to present my very first invention.

Juniper thought about her "smoke-spewing" machina, and how it almost blew up the southern wing of the building.

She looked at the application form she was holding in her by now sweaty hands.

Perhaps this isn't such a good idea after all... and if I turn back now it also helps me get rid of some embarrassment from wetting the paper too!

Her stomach twisted and turned when she overheard footsteps stopping behind the door. Were it really footsteps, or was it just her imagination? She peered at the lock.

Nothing...

But then the door was opened for her... and for a few brief seconds the world fell away.

"Euuhh... euhhh..."

"Yes, miss? How may we help you?"

"Euuhhhh... Hi!! I like to sign up for the Wonderbringer contest!" She spoke so rapidly that she sounded like an auctioneer.

She handed over the form and watched the paper as it moved from her hand in the other person's hand. Everything got wobbly again and she flushed with embarrassment.

Maybe... maybe it'll be absorbed by the time they read it...

"Ehh... I only need to know when we exactly start..."

After receiving an answer the Gond girl nodded, and in order to stop herself from making more weird excessive movements, she waved goodbye and rushed off, albeit bright-eyed.

Better get to work A S A P !

song : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iymtpePP8I8

Applying inventor's full name : Juniper Juhhu Bottlesocket

Place of birth : Lantan

Residence : The Last Anchor, and the Thatcher residence in Baldur's Gate. Oh, and sometimes the Twilight Rose and the Halls of Inner Light. Nevermind, just the Twilight Cabaret.

Intended invention area : Maritime Transport (though some of my ideas may fit under more than one category)
Last edited by lum on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lum

Unread post by lum »

A few weeks later, Juniper delivers a drawing of what will be the invention she will be working on.

Invention : Underwater vessel

Purpose : Underwater exploration, underwater assessment of damaged ships . . .

Propulsion system : either manually (pedal geared) or steam powered.

Source of oxygen : either a hose connected to a float unit (which also can be used as exhaust), or saltpeter reaction.

Diving and surfacing : ballast tanks, emptied or filled manually or steam powered.

Navigation through : periscope, a helm, and a glass hull at the front.
Questions/requests :
-I'm asking permission to have someone help me put it all together within those ten days.
-I'm looking for a supplier or crafter to provide the glass. It has to be thick and curved.
-Do you know anyone who may sell potassium nitrate here at the coast? Heading to Lantan and back may take me too long.

Thank in advance!

Juniper-
kleomenes
Recognized Donor

kleomenes wrote:The priest Ameris Santraeger is seen bidding his warm farewells to his fellow clergy in the Temple. And perhaps a more austere one to Brother Khalso. He makes clear that while he might be back at some point, his visits are likely to be fleeting.

Before he leaves, he pins up the text of an open letter near the painting of the Living Saint. He requests that the Adorned see it stand for a time, so that petitioners to the temple can read it if they wish. The open letter reads as follows:

Lady Elvina,

I recall your kind words about the speech I gave before the gathered goodly factions of the Sword Coast and dignitaries of the Lord's Alliance, when we all met at the behest of the High Rider, Lord Dhelt. Indeed, you have asked me since to publish that speech as the ideals therein are worth repeating. I gave some thought to this and have decided to do so. It will be placed up in the Temple of Ilmater.

I look over the words now and dwell on my own periodic failure to meet the challenge these words set to others. My time on the Coast has been marked with a multiplicity of betrayals at the hands of those I called comrade and friend, many of which you have had the misfortune to witness. I recall as well frequent censure I have met for standing for my ideals, or for falling short of those ideals. Likewise, I recall my own criticisms of others, sometimes justified, sometimes driven by the wounds that I have carried in service here on the Coast.

I have often erred, and I ask you to bear witness to that, and forgive.

Its a truth though that none of us are not perfect. It is the human condition to err, for the divine spark within us is just that, a spark. I write human condition, but I do imagine that elves, dwarves and halflings are not perfect either! We will all make mistakes, though. We all will fall short of the high ideals I spoke of, and we will all take actions that our own hindsight will view as incorrect.

It is in understanding this, and forgiving it, and persevering in reaching for these ideals that we will keep hope alive, together. It can be the hardest battle to overlook differences, I think. Yet it is holy to forgive.

Your words in the past tenday have done much to lift my spirits. Your indefatigable commitment to the people of this great city, and to safeguarding their lives and freedom, reminds me that there are those that will not give up this struggle, as hard as it is, and as inconvenient as those cold hearts that think only of profit and pragmatism find our shared ideals. As I write to you now on the eve of my departure, I wish you to remind you, as I have been saying to many others recently: you are not alone in your struggle.

I crave your indulgence for my musings, Lady Elvina. Writing to you has become the carriage of my own bittersweet reflection on the trials ahead for those I leave behind (at least for now). I see repetition from my speech. Yet the truth is, I am hopeful now, more than I was when I spoke my words to Lord Dhelt and his invitees. The enemies of tyranny face a challenge, that is a truth. Yet I see they are not idle.

I believe I shall attach this letter to the speech when I put it up. Of course, if you prefer, the letter can be taken down.

You know, of course, how to reach me.

Mercy bless you,

Brother Ameris

High Hall in Elturel, 21 Hammer 1353

Lord Dhelt, Lord Piergeiron, Lord Arunsun and other dignitaries of Elturel and the Sword Coast, I am grateful to be allowed to speak. I apologise in advance if my words are lengthy.

I have been absent in the city of Baldur's Gate for some months now, and am soon to be away, perhaps permanently, and so I can only offer words of advice, as my own conduct towards any goal will be limited in the extreme.

I spent three and a half years calling Baldur's Gate my home. In that time I served first among the Adorned and as a knight of the Radiant Heart, holding fealty to the Dukes of Baldur's Gate by my oaths.

It was there that I first fought the Zhentarim, not in blades, but with the traitor that nestled within the Order, my direct superior Eliphas Valkarian, although I did not know him false at the time, even as his machinations had him controlling both sides of every conflict.

When I learned that there was as traitor in the Radiant Heart, that is when I accepted the offer of the Harpers to stand with them so I might have aid to root him out. I was fighting a poisonous snake, but I was a mouse, not a mongoose. For there was a traitor amidst the Harp too, and so when the Zhentarim came to disrupt the attempts to heal cursed Triel I was captured not just as a member of the Order, rather a servant of freedom. And then tortured and worse for the same reason.

My sister in Faith, Cecilia Lafayette, suffered much as I. Worse, in fact, for she was left alone in the Order of the Radiant Heart to fight that snake Eliphas, and did what others could not, exposing him and ending his corruption of that virtuous order. It has never recovered.

Both my sister and I have fought the Zhentarim openly and in the shadows, and bear the marks of that, and of the betrayal of false friends wearing masks over their wicked intentions. A lesson several of the Dukes of Baldur's Gate have seemingly yet to learn.

I fought on as a Harper, and Ilmatari. Many know how I have reacted in the end to the most bitter of the betrayals I met. My wife once served the Zhentarim, and knows them and their ways well. There is nothing good about them. There is nothing true about them. I suspect there are none here that need to be told that, or what a threat they are.

I speak of the former Lord Magus Telia Navra because of the lessons her defection has taught me. I am an idealist. I freely admit that, although I struggle to remain so at times. I do not look away from the lesson that the only success I have ever had of note against the Zhentarim was based on that idealism and a belief that I need not become hard and violent in order to fight evil. I need not become iron or steel.

We oppose the Zhentarim because they believe the world is a cold, cruel, bitter place and they hold themselves the most cold, the most cruel, the most bitter. The most pragmatic. We oppose them because we see a better world and would fight for it.

I am not going to say anything about this plan regarding Triel, or any other plans, as I cannot be here to help with them, as I said. I am instead going to make an appeal to all of us here who attend on the invitation of these great dignitaries.

In the past when many here have come together, our common goals have been shrouded in disagreements, mistrust, pride and judgement. I include myself in those sins, and speak not with rebuke, just with sad memory.

Clearly, we are all mortal and all individuals, and disagreement is normal. But I urge all to think on the need for unity and harmony in such a time as this. We are faced with a Zhentarim victory, happened upon with barely any warning. We might question if we had all stood together, worked together, that we might have prevented it.

It is hard to work together. One has to actively work for harmony, forgive slights, agree to disagree. Trust and cooperate.

I ask the impossible, perhaps, but we can but try. I thank you for your patience to my words.
Former Characters: Mel Darenda, Daug'aonar, Dural Narkisi, Cynric Greyfox, Ameris Santraeger, Cosimo Delucca, Talas Marsak.
The Whistler

Unread post by The Whistler »

Shambling dead, normally corraled within the graveyard's gloomy environs, have begun encroaching the farmlands of late, egged on by an unseen force. Where once eyes were housed, baleful green flames now burned with an alien intelligence; a highly unusual occurrence with typically mindless automatons such as these. The sightings seem to coincide with a Myrkulite priest clad in ashen plate, briefly visiting the farmlands.

Various other commoners may, or may not report an increase in nightmares depicting a cowled skeleton with four arms. But nightmares sent by Myrkul were already a common enough incidence in the Realms that most did not care to pay it any mind.
Schrödinger's Cyricism: NPCs simultaneously know everything and nothing about Cyric until observed by the Cyricist. Then they default to the state that disadvantages the Cyricist the most.
BlackStork

Unread post by BlackStork »

In midst of rain, when the thunders were singing above the heads of balduirans,
she came out to the square near the Water Queen House in the Docks district.

She worn skintight aquamarine garment with open back, and she had quite well-shaped, with bit of a muscle body.

She stepped into the middle of the square and started to preach. Her voice was loud, menacing, and there was quite distinguishable Northmen accent in her speech.

"Listen to me, commoners of wall-clad city of Baldur's Gate.
Listen, and know, that both your debts and fear, as well as ignorance are known and seen, and felt. They are accounted.

As the being fearful one, one who is paying debts, one who is strong by his nature is just a prayer to Her favors,
As the ignorance to Her Will and Might is prayer for Her Wrath.

Care to fear, care to be strong. Be fit. As time of Storms is coming. Worthy will wield power, weaker will succumb, fearful and loyal will be spared and favored, and ignorant will drown.

One who is paying debt will be caressed, one who sway the Storms - consumed by them.

Hear my call, my preach, and bound to The Queen's Will.
Currents will protect or tear You. And precedences for each case are known."

She clapped with her hands and myriads of cold salty oceanic water droplets flown around, touching everything around. Carrying her missive to the wall-dwellers of the Baldurs Gate - loyal and fearful, ignorant and careless alike.
Ithilan

Unread post by Ithilan »

Draped in garments spun from blue silk and linen, the Selûnite priestess Shandril smiles kindly to those whom she passes on her way to the dock, offering them blessings of the Moonmaiden and a few coins to those in dire need as well as invitation to the Halls of Inner Light and the orchards of the garden. She makes her way through the docks district carrying but a basket full of flowers, a silver aspergill and a belt pouch stacked with flasks of an opalescent fluid shimmering faintly in the pale moonlight breaking through the clouds on a cold winters morning of Alturiak. She climbs atop a stack of boxes and places the basket next to her, her feet swinging bellow as she clears her throat and speaks up as loudly as her gentle and soft voice is able.

"Fear? Ignorance? Neglect.. The Moonlight never falls idly, though proclaimations of divine will often do! Accusations that you have wronged and need to appease their malevolent machinations, that you should seek to sate the wrath of those whom would direct it at you, though void of reason or logic there in?"

"Steer not by such falsehood, that you would be spared by submitting to such conveniently fabricated debts, for such would only be one of many in a never ending line, leading to a life of servitude without reward, and depravity wrought of fear and tyranny."

"The sun rests in the third decan of the Eagle, indicating a time of succesful labours and prosperity through diligance, hard work and patience. The fruits of such labours are yours to reap, ripe and ready for the taking, so long as you maintain the virtues of your heart and the intregity of your soul."

"Good sailors from far and wide, as differing as each wave breaking upon your vessels. Do not be lost in the squall, for the storm will subside and the calm waters will grant you safe passage and recompense without demands."

"The winter storms will cease and as Selûne moves through The Stone, do not be afraid from the emotions that are in flux, do not act irrationally and pay lip service, do not forsake the light and seek to traverse darkness impenetrable, you lumient being of beauty and brightness, unparelled on this plane."

"Waste not away, your fleeting time here in servitude of those whom would have you crawl and bow, when you would be embraced and welcomed amongst others, with love and joy, a warm caress and the gratitude for your sincerity and honesty. Never would you be met with scorn or threats, demands or scolding accusations of ignorance. You are the gemstone beneath the sea of night, for whom the Moons lucid rays yearns to caress and guide to your hearts content."

She jumps down from the stacked boxes and offers blessings to those whom would wish it, freshly drawn navigational charts, light gems and ritualistic blessings of any vessel whom would so desire, sprinkling sacred Moonfire upon the hull and decks of the ships dispensed through a silvery aspergill.
Last edited by Ithilan on Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shandril Brightmantle
"Life is but a mystery to revel in, let the stars guide you through the mist."
Lia'Dris Maendellyn
"We remember cities now in ruin and forests murdered, yet still we sing to the stars and hope for renewal."
Pommel
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Pommel »

Calodan wrote:
DM Hera wrote:Deep with in Baldurs Gate Harbor District, a series of twisting streets and dark allies stretch forth. A particular street whispered and gossiped of leads to a tall green house, with shutters hanging from hing and lights long gone. Locals speak of this mansion once belonging to a Merchant who made his coin selling snake oil hope. He offered victims during the year of plague that once struck this great city bottles for a price, and then charged higher as he ran through his stocks, even though he knew the cure did not work.

This green bottle was nothing more then salt water with a few beans and a bit of other sparklies to sell it to hopeless, desperate and needy folk. His victims became the nameless, faceless dead, the witnesses were few and he skirted himself around mortal laws. Though no man goes beyond the reach of the gods story goes as one day a man in armor came.

This large man in armor metered out the gods justice, removed the rich Merchants door from its hinges and brought judgement upon the Snake Oil salesman. The merchants victims shall suffer no wrong so rumor goes.

Now up that lonely long street the Merchants door sits against the wall of his now empty mansion. Prayer like candles flicker before it, dimly lighting the street and notes tacked to its faded green wood. The notes are plea's for justice, wrongs perceived and needs for vengeance.
Following a deep seeded need to journey down the streets a man clad in black and grey robes with a long red sash about his waste and black gloved hand wanders until he finds that street where rumors whisper and prayers are lit for vengeance he would inquire what the prayers were and who for as he read the notes and talked to those who knew the merchant.........
One rainy night a large, armoured man returns, watching candles flicker and sputter in the lee of the house. They flicker and splutter, winking out one by one as he watches. His dark eyes are hard. There is anger. There is self reproach. It has been too long since he walked these streets like this, with vengeful purpose.

His path still remained shrouded, unclear. The meaning of his call uncertain.

He had thought at first he was not like the others. He had thought he had a lone purpose. He had looked to avenge those who had no other recourse.

And then, he had lost that focus. Swung his blade more widely.

But now, he had found brothers and sisters.

He strode forward, taking one knee before the votive messages, taking in the tart smell of the sizzling candlewicks. Those dark eyes scan across the messages, reading every one.

They had work to do, the Hunters of Vengeance.

And from then, his visits were frequent.
Don't be angry, Patroclus, if you learn -
even though you're in Hades - I gave Hector back
to his father for a worthy ransom
But I shall give a proper share to you.

Talas Marsak, Blademaster and Avenger [Hiatus]
Darius Holding Company
Bladestone Foundation
kleomenes
Recognized Donor

The priest of Ilmater, Ameris Santraeger, gives a sermon in the East Gate district.

Ameris looks out over those gathered, a welcoming smile. When he speaks, there is apology in his tone

"I apologise now for the length of this sermon. It is a cautionary tale, and a tale of truth. Truth is enemy to brevity."

Another smile, apologetic.

"With apology made, I will begin."

Ameris begins to speak the sermon proper, his tone clear. He keeps emotion out of it for now, focusing instead on relating fact.

"The elves of Doron Amar and the Black Orc tribe long warred, as their peoples do, but in 1348 it was different. The orcs were equipped with fine weaponry, and pressed the elves hard. They called upon allies, including the Dukes and the Flaming Fist. The cruelty of such brutal foes was fiercely opposed. Yet the war went badly."

Ameris' tone is still neutral, factual.

"An entire Flaming Fist outpost was overrun and cut down nearly to a man, and the Black Orcs eventually assaulted Doron Amar itself. They were defeated, but with the Flaming Fist fighting there, another column of Black Orcs was able to attack the farmlands outside the East Gate of this city and put much that is Baldurian to fire and sword."

"Only then, when brave soldiers rushed back to defend it, did the identity of who lay behind the black orcs become clear."

The priest's tone is forceful here, the words ringing with judgment.

"The Zhentarim. The same will that had sold the orcs the arms they needed, the same will who had overrun the Flaming Fist outpost with its own mercenaries, now marched on Doron Amar with violent intent. Zhentarim soldiers were barely driven back. Between them and the orcs they had set in motion the blood had run like water."

Ameris looks out over the crowd, a frown on his brow.

"Will we ever know what purpose the Black Network had in those assaults? All that can be said is that those who fell in the war were sorely missed by their families, and by the settlements they defended when further conflict came. We know that this city has needed every defender it can get in the years since."

Ameris' pauses. After a few moments he continues, his tone neutral and factual again.

"In 1349 the same Black Orcs again menaced another settlement. This time the village of Triel. The Dukes of Baldur's Gate rallied to defend against the orcs, Flaming Fist soldiers defending the village and allies gathering to oppose the barbaric warriors. A show of unity in the face of cruelty, a march of the righteous and the charitable and the dutiful together. A noble thing."

He smiles at this point. Then the smile fades.

"Yet, once more, the Black Orcs had aid in their conquests. The allies rushed supplies to Triel to prepare the defence. They were ambushed, the way blocked by a phalanx of black armoured warriors. Assassins struck at the leaders of the allies."

"Human warriors."

He clenches his fist, emphasising his words. Anger evident.

"Human assassins."

His anger fierce. The priest's voice keeps the edge of anger. It conveys that he relates a crime, a terrible crime.

"Despite those supplies being blocked, a force of mercenaries did make it to Triel to aid in the defence. Those mercenaries had taken coin from the Zhentarim. When the battle came they turned on their allies. They slew the Flaming Fist and other defenders from behind. They ensured Triel's fall, heedless to what it meant for the people. That is what they had been paid to do by the Zhentarim."

Ameris grips the podium, leaning back a little, looking over the crowd, a stern look.

"It is only the bitterest form of justice that the Black Orcs slaughtered their unlikely allies too. Perhaps the Zhentarim had hoped this would be the case, so their criminal manipulations would disappear from memory."

A wry smile, then. It enters his tone.

"It has not, and will not."

Ameris smiles wider, with more warmth, relating something happy.

"For those who Harp learned of the subversion of Triel's defence at the last moment, and even as the Doom descended on that poor village, they spirited away the majority of the people to Elturel and Scornubel."

The smile fades, and the priest's voice is stern, resolute.

"They remember how the machinations of the Zhentarim would have consigned those people of Triel to months of slavery and brutality at orcish hands. They remember how the Black Network used anything it could to gain advantage, lies, deceit, murder. They remember how the Black Orcs were raised up as a threat, and how that led to the deaths of many brave defenders of this city in repeated wars. They remember how Zhentarim arms and coin aided the Black Orcs seize Triel."

Ameris now speaks plainly, openly. Speaking of his own experience.

"I did not know what lay behind the Black Orcs' victory at Triel and the treachery of the mercenaries when I first arrived on this coast. A junior priest, I had sworn to the Order of the Radiant Heart."

He continues.

"I learned of the battle from a barbarian skald who had been present, Nerys of the Greyfox, as she recuperated in body and spirit. And when the goodly marched to try and retake Triel from the orcs I did my duty as a chaplain and healer for my Brothers and Sisters. I organised healing supplies and prayed for blessings, and in service to Ilmater and the Order did my part."

Memory fills his tone, a sad memory

"When the Zhentarim showed themselves openly at last it was a surprise to me. The Battle of Three Pennants, they call it, the Zhentarim besieging and seizing Triel in advance of the allies, using a trained dragon to break the Black Orcs' resistance. They presented Triel as a gift to the former people, and presented themselves as saviours and victors over a grave threat. A masterful deception, one might think, if their sabotaging of its defence were not known."

He speaks didactically.

"A threat they had nurtured, armed, aided, manipulated, profited from, and then finally defeated. I know this now. So do my brothers and sisters in the temple. And so will those who listen to this tale."

Ameris speaks with regret.

"I come to the end of my words. There is more I could speak of, as there was no happy ever after for the people of Triel. Far from it. Yet no surprise, a gift from the Zhentarim is a poisoned chalice. Those words are, however, for another day. I promise they will not be silenced."

Ameris' voice has a questioning tone.

"Why do I speak so? I relate evils, of course. Ilmater stands against evil, cruelty, suffering. In his name I must denounce the brutal plotting that led to war in the Sharpteeth, attack on this city's farmlands and Triel's sufferings. Yet that is not why I speak. A treaty was signed recently; a peace with the Zhentarim, a trade deal."

Ameris looks about at those gathered.

"I speak so openly so as to make clear how the Black Network operates. How far it will go for its goals, and how violent it will be towards those who stand in its way. *a sad smile* Or even just those who have what it wants."

He speaks firmly.

"And I remind the people here of the suffering that nearly befell the people of Triel at the hands of those orcs, and what would face a score of small settlements if the Zhentarim expanded unchecked. Of what would happen if they had no opposition, if everyone only asked what was good for themselves and cared nothing for their neighbours."

"Ilmater has compassion for all. He loves the people here, but he loves those in the Sunset Vale, up and down the coast, everywhere."

His gaze scans the crowd, eyes squinting. His good eye resting somewhere towards the back of the crowd.

"Even those who server darker goals, if they seek change. And he has loved this city during its struggles. Think on this, when you hear someone speaking of how the Black Network is no threat to this city - leaving aside how shortsighted that is. Instead, think of those others whom they make no secret of being a threat to, who face slaver's chains even on this day."

"For Ilmater's compassion is not just a gift, for how we can make a better world."

"In the Name of Illmater the Wise, the Merciful, the Enduring."

He raises his hand to bless the crowd.

After the sermon, the priest and several others who are known opponents of the Zhentarim are seen entering Pathfinders Hall.
///and some diplomacyImage
Shalos

Unread post by Shalos »

a small Gnome gives this entry for the Invention Contest to the Priests:
Dear Gondarian Clerics.

I heard of your Invention Contest and wanted to share my Concept for an Invention. It is for the Category "Transportation" but I would like to add that "Civil Infrastructure" may also work. Please feel free to put it, where you think it fits best.

Signed
Shalos endurtus de hebrina nasylum lantanum Splinterbang, Glitterfinger, Ironeye, Wonderworker Natrina. Illusionist, Inventor and Golem Builder."

Golem Letter and Package Delivery Tower

Basic Idea:
A large Tower which is based on a Pigeonry but also connects some strategic Key Points of the City with long metallic Cables. It should be able to deliver Messages and small Packages to specific delivery points around the City of Baldurs Gate and its surroundings. It does this with two basic Types of Golems:
Pidgeon Golems and Spider Golems.

Technical Details:
The Tower would have to be at least 100 Feet high, preferably even 200 Feet, so the cables could connect to more places around the City. It would have a base diameter of 10 Feet and on the Top of 20 Feet to make room for at least 12 Pidgeon Golems and 4 Spider Golems.
The Message would be placed in a small container in the base of the Tower and then with transported up with a pulley, where a Pidgeon or Spider Golem would grab it and transport it where the Customer wanted it.
The Pidgeon Golems would be to deliver small messages and the Spiders to deliver Packages with a payload of around 4-6 Pounds along the Cables. Which could speed up delivery of small but important packages tremendously.

The Pidgeon Golems should be relatively cheap to make and to replace if necessary and the spider Golems could crawl along the Cables with a great deal of protection for the Packages.

Alternatively, it could be tested in a smaller Scale with only the Pidgeon Golems first.
kleomenes
Recognized Donor

Ameris Santraeger again gives a sermon, as promised.
Ameris looks out over those gathered, a welcoming smile is directed to the crowd. "First I would like to thank you all for coming."

"Today, I am going to speak a sequel to the words I spoke a ten-day ago: then I spoke of the rise of the Black Orc threat, of how the Black Orcs were manipulated by the Zhentarim to first attack Doron Amar, and then I spoke of Triel. Triel; a town that was captured by the Black Orcs who, in the end, were driven out of there by the Zhentarim posing as saviours. And not the architects of the menace."

"Which, of course, they were." A quick smile.

His gaze wanders over the crowd. It does pause on Ashan a moment. "There are many, I am sure, who would hold Zhentarim betrayal regarding a horde of bloodthirsty savages of little account. I can understand that. Yet such betrayal is part of a pattern of deceit that runs much deeper. I speak today on the ruin of Triel."

The Ilmatari leans forward for emphasis on his words, starting towards the back of the crowd at first, then his gaze moving about. "Indeed, the very act of saving Triel from a Black Orc menace they had helped create, and directly aided with their own soldiers and coin-purses, was a deceit upon the people of Triel. The Black Network gave those people back their homes and subdued a barbaric menace. They restored order, just as Baneites often say they do."

Ameris leans back with hands on the pulpit. A regretful tone laces with his words. "One cannot blame those who looked only on the facts they knew, and seeing only kindness from the Black Network. Yet the truth was and is, the plight of the people in Triel had arisen because of Zhentarim machinations."

The priest's tone becomes didactic. "It is a common tactic amongst those who seek power over others to use the divine as a weapon. You must fear the gods,they say. Who can argue with that?" Ameris looks about questioningly.

Some fire enters his voice as if the words he speaks are distasteful to him. "But then, they say This man, this man who is my friend, he speaks for a god. Fear that god; fear the man who speaks for him. The man who stands near me. The man who is my friend. Fear him, and fear me. And so by teaching people to kneel before divine fear, they accustom them to fear mortals. With fear comes obedience, and obedience, servitude. The goal all along."

Ameris’s tone turns calmer, sadly relating unhappy events. "So it was with that goal the Zhentarim's aid to Triel spawned preachers for the Lord of Bones. They whispered words to draw people away from Triel's ancestral faith in the Grain Goddess, Chauntea, a deity far removed from Myrkul's cold and domineering creed."

The priest offers a bitter smile."Of course, the converts were encouraged to look north, to Darkhold, for their earthy salvation. And of course, those who remained faithful to Chauntea and would not yield to the tyrants grew ever more afraid."

His voice changes with stentorian firmness. "This was no accident, for Myrkul is to Bane akin Ilmater is to Tyr. Ally. Comrade. Support. And let us not forget that the Zhentarim are no mere merchants, but also the power of Bane in the secular realm. The Black Hand's is the Black Network;" He clenches his fist, denoting that ownership. "Strife's vanguard. Captains and servitors to the being that would rule all, both gods and men."

The priest's voice quiets. His brow furrows as the topic grows serious. "Yet the Zhentarim did not just seek to bring fear to the soft hearted; they sought to encourage those hearts to be hard, and more amenable to the gods of darkness. That is how those who seek to corrupt others work. They do not preach for people to abandon virtue openly, no, they are more subtle. Instead they arrange things to make it so that those they wish to corrupt have the opportunity, and the encouragement to sin. They seek to blind others with lies. They play on anger, greed, lust and pain. They make it seem that doing evil is the only course open, and stand back with amused triumph when souls choose to damn themselves."

"And so it was." He emphasizes the three words, denoting he means to relate fact, and he looks across the crowd once more. "That hiding their own part in the rise of the Black Orcs, the Zhentarim brought Black Orc captives to Triel . Here, they said, a gift. The ones who harmed you." Ameris offers a stern look. "Do what you will with them. And then they turned the captives over to an angry mob."

Ameris takes a breath. His voice remains firm. "I am Ilmatari. I stand in the tradition of mercy practiced by far more illustrious forebears in this city. By the Living Saint herself. And my god commands me to heal all who hurt, no matter who they are. He commands me to pity the meek, the weak, and children, no matter who or what they are. My words come to bask in his light. I do not expect everyone to agree with my anger. But I say this. It is how we treat the weak and those within our power that make us different from beasts and savages."

Suddenly the priest's words heat up, a fire in them. "The Zhentarim did not do something as simple as bring chained orc warriors for retribution to Triel. No. No. They brought something far more insidious and corrupting. They brought orc females. They brought orc pups. Non-combatants. Children. Savage children, and yet, children."

He grips the lectern tightly, repeating earlier words with fervour. "It is how we treat the weak and those within our power that make us different from beasts and savages. It is evil to strike down a being for what it might do in years to come. Like some devils from a tale, tricking a poor soul into a pact, the Black Network placed temptation before the angry people of Triel. The temptation to act without Ilmater's mercy. The temptation to choose evil."

Ameris’ shoulder’s slump, sadness filling his words as he dwells upon the horror of them. "An easy answer, to give into such fury and seek vengeance. An easy answer, to place those non-combatants onto a fire, and burn them for the sins of their kin. Easy for the Zhentarim to present the righteous folk who tried in vain to save the pups as foes to Triel, as friends to the savagery of orcs, and not as what they were: those who held the line between justice and vengeance."

He shakes his head, sadly. "What a victory for the Black Network. In a single day of barbarity, humans became as cruel as orcs and the light dimmed, with those still praying to Chauntea ever more isolated."

His head bows, he is quiet for several long moments, gripping the lectern.

There is darkness in Ameris' words when he speaks again. A tension in his body. "Of course, one cannot slaughter so many without it going unmarked. There are more powers in the realm than Ilmater and Bane."

He continues speaking, his head still bowed. The darkness still there in his oration. "The orcs have their own gods, too, and one of those heard the cries for vengeance from savage throats."

He looks up now, dismay on his features. "So it was that the priests of the Maggot Lord reached out their pale hands in vengeance against the settlements of the north, to punish the people there and the Zhentarim for past events."

Ameris's eyes are hard. "They sowed a plague born of magic in Triel and Soubar, one that that could not be cured by any normal means; a plague whose victims were consumed inside out by magical maggots. A horrible death, I witnessed it. A horrible death."

The the pain of memory is written on his face. "The quest to find a cure occupied many of the most learned minds on the coast. A race, before the plague blossomed into a taint upon the lands, and before it reached this city. And in the end, it was successful."

He takes another breath, and continues. "Goodly allies headed north to deliver the cure to Triel and Soubar. Yet at Triel, the Zhentarim stood in the way. They had obtained a sample, to which they used to cure Triel's leader and win his loyalty. They did not want to lose their control of Triel to healers bearing this curing boon to all."

"I know this, and I know why, because it was my beloved wife, while she served the Zhentarim, that delivered that sample into their hands." The priests words halt for a moment, and he looks about the crowd. He is judging the reaction.

He continues on. "I remember the day the goodly tried to deliver the cure. The Zhentarim prevented access to Triel for many candle marks. Finally, a deal was done. Healers would be allowed to distribute the cure under Zhentarim supervision. I was one of those healers. Yes. I was part of a deal with the Zhentarim." Ameris’s smile fades just as quickly as it arrives. "I saw how it ended."

He speaks of these events with a dismayed pain. "Plague blossomed even as the deal was struck, with the piled bodies of the dead reanimating and slaying all but a handful of those who remained. The vengeance of Yurtrus seeped into the land, his poison tainting and cursing it to be a home of the walking dead."

"If they had let the cure in one hour sooner. Just one hour sooner." With resignation. "The survivors that were left were <i>thankful</i> to the Zhentarim for defending them."

Then, there is a short and hot burst of anger from the priest. "Thanked them despite the fact that at each and every stage the Zhentarim and their ideals had brought forth this horror. Right back to when the Black Orcs were armed by the Black Network to bring war to the Sharpteeth, years before. If only those poor souls knew the truth of those they called benefactor."

The anger fades and he is silent for a moment or two, looking over the crowd. "Truth I speak today."

There is an intimate tone in the last words, perhaps a confession of sorts. "I served in the Order of the Radiant Heart during the events I spoke of today. As both a priest and a knight. I had taken up my sword to defend the weak and innocent and punish the guilty."

He continues in the same vein, hands resting lightly on the lectern. "I served with righteous Brothers and Sisters, some who are still in the region, some of whom who have moved on. I fought to continue a legacy established by Jonas Rokranon and Arkaine Halforken."

He looks about as guilt seeps into his tone. He meets eyes as he scans the crowd. "Where were we, you might ask, while Triel slowly fell, step by step, under Zhentarim sway? Where were we, while fear and anger filled the hearts of the people? Why were we silent? Why were we not there?"

He lets the question hang.

As he continues there is pain in his voice. "I served in the order under a man I admired and respected. I believed in the strength of his faith. Like me, he had a tyrant for a father. Unlike me, he had the strength to slay his own father to bring an end to his tyranny."

He continues, the pain growing. "I served as this powerful man’s right hand and emulated him in all things. He was my mentor. I loved him as a father, in many ways." Emotion is clear. "I felt we were alike, except where he was better than me.

He suddenly spits out the bitter words. "What Eliphas the Deceiver had not told me was that when he slew his father, he had replaced him. Prelate Eliphas Valkarian was in command of the Order of the Radiant Heart's forces at Triel. Prelate Eliphas Valkarian was also Dreadlord of Darkhold, and commanded the Zhentarim forces that barred our entry."

The priest is visibly angry now. "The Deceiver watched silently, as a puppet master, while the goodly struggled to oppose the Black Network. There was not a thing that occurred that he did not know about, control, or manipulate."

Hhis fist slams into the lectern, anger clear. This is not scripted, it seems. "So it was, when Brother Alexander called on the Order to bring light and hope to Triel, to come to them in their hour of need to counterbalance fear and hate, that Eliphas ordered us to stand down. The Zhentarim will respond with force. Do not start a war, he said, and held us back. And left the field open for the Zhentarim."

Ameris grips the pulpit, knuckles whitening as he looks at the faces of the crowd. Attempting to calm himself. "So it was, when I stood outside Triel by his side and watched the goodly plead and beg to be allowed to save the people, it was a farce."

Calmer. At least on the surface. And its a relative thing. "On Eliphas's order, a deal could have been struck in four moments, not four candle-marks. We could have brought the cure inside the village. He spoke regretfully once, afterwards, about how something could have been saved with compromise. I took him to mean the people. He meant, of course, of the gains the Zhentarim had made."

Ameris leans back, taking a breath. "There have always been many arguments about how and why how Triel fell to ruin. Mortals are not without mistake. I carry my own share of blame for following my leaders blindly."

Firmly. "But it was one organization..." He gesticulates with an accusing finger. "...that worked hard to see the Black Orc's seize Triel, so they could exploit it."

"And there was one man ..." He again waggles that accusing finger. " ...that had the power to save its people with a single word. Instead, he clung tight to power. No matter the cost. Deceit and lies his tools. False smiles of a false friend. Nothing but power his goal. Power, wealth, dominion. The Zhentarim's words, for that is the Zhentarim way."

"I thank you for hearing my words. In the name of Ilmater the Wise, the Merciful, the Enduring" He raises his hand to bless the crowd and then takes a deep breath, dipping his gaze.

The priest then answers some questions and has an exchange with Ashan Wayne, before yielding the podium to Eldarian Al'maire, who had stood guard during the sermon. He was seen heading off to Pathfinder's Hall to talk further with Ashan Wayne.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

kleomenes wrote:Ameris Santraeger again gives a sermon, as promised.

>>>

The priest then answers some questions...
"Good Priest!" an armored man with a mustache, calls out, raising a hand, trying to get the priests attention for what may be a following question.

Ameris looks towards Aldebaran. "Yes, sir?"

Aldebaran walks closer to the podium, to make sure he is heard by the priest. Ameris leans over the ledge.

Aldebaran speaks: "Is it in your voice, good priest, that you speak against the flow of decision that has been made by the Ducal Court, in this fair city, to let the Zhentarim, within its walls?"

Ameris turns to answer Aldebaran: "This city is a free city, and the people here love their freedoms. I have not spoken of the treaty. It is a matter of record, though, that the Ilmatari oppose it, as they oppose the treaty with the Enclave. As we will always oppose those who profit from slavery and misery. For, for us, it does not mater that that slavery and misery happens in another land, far away, if the coin that is earned here supports and promulagates it."

Aldebaran responds: "It is difficult to go against the way...but I see you have conviction to present an alternative flow. May you prevail!" Aldebaran smiles, kindly, up at the priest.

Ameris smiles to Aldebaran, then turns to others near the stairs to the podium. "Now...I was to yield the podium to Sir Eldarian...."

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
kleomenes
Recognized Donor

Ameris Santraeger once more gives a controversial sermon on the streets of the city.
Ameris looks out over those gathered, a welcoming smile. When he speaks, his voice is hoarse. Those who have a good view might see a healing scar wound across his throat. "Thank-you all for coming." The priest's smile fades, and he does not speak, letting silence draw on a little.

He begins to speak, an even tone. "I have spoken much about evil this past month. One particular evil in fact, the Zhentarim." A pause. "There are other evils I could speak of." He looks out across those gathered, his gaze finally pulling towards the Thayan Enclave. "Evils that stand out in the open." A frown growing, an angry frown. Then a sadness. His gaze dips.

His fingers drum on the lectern.

He looks out over the crowd again, with anger once more. "Evils stood among us now. Or crazed cultists following a dark god of dragons, bending their own knee and plotting to bend ours. Or nihilistic servants of pure,unadulterated evil, craving eternal night for the Lady of Loss, numb to others, numb to their own sense of self, seeking to make everything nothing." As he relays these, there is a strange tone to his voice, the anger giving way to pity.

The hoarseness of Ameris' voice does not suit fiery rhetoric, and it wavers.

He takes a deep breath, resting his voice a moment.

He continues, a calmer delivery, the angry edge in his voice quieter. "Or evils lurking in the shadows, slithering like Viper's to coil around the city's wealth and nobility, their Eyes cold with murder. Their lies are now a Song to be sung, far and wide; their own instruments ready to be unstrung."

A pause, another breath. He takes a flask from his belt and wets his throat. Public speaking seems to be testing him.

Ameris offers a sad smile, and he continues on almost as if it is an aside. "These last care nothing for those who serve them, leaving them out as carrion when they fail, when they are sent against such an impossible foe as the slayer of the Angel of Decay, Insen. Such cruelty is a mark of evil. It is goodly to show mercy to any who abandon such a cruel cause. You know where I stand." The last, as if addressing a particular group, its not apparent which.

Ameris leans back, hands on the lectern. "Yes, I could rant with righteous fury about any of those evils, and yet more. I could speak words of fire and warning. For as those of the Watcher say, preparation is half of any battle, and by my words I could prepare the people of this city against coming threats, and threats already here, all the things there are to fear."

He looks about, quietly, his gaze meeting those who look in his direction. "I am not going to do that."

He speaks with reflection. "Two days ago, Wren De Corvi, Herald of Darkhold, was shot and killed here in the city. You will have all heard this. Many of you will have heard how I was arrested for this crime. Some will have heard of the crossbow alleged to have been found within the Temple of Ilmater. I can tell you now that I did not do this."

He shakes his head. "No, the Herald had been marked for death by servants of the Lady of Loss, and it is they who stand as clearest suspects in this wrong. Her last days were lived as her service to Darkhold began, in fear of a monster." He then leans forward on the lectern, and stares at Kahanak in the crowd.

His gaze moves about the crowd, still leaning forward, an intensity in his voice. "That fear was a failure of mine. A failure of all the goodly. All the righteous. Every soul has a right to live free of fear, unless they work to place such chains on others. Every soul needs protection. Every soul has worth. It is time that is understood."

A passion enters his voice. "I know many understand this. I have had the honour of working with many people who believe in the worth of others.I have fought beside them. I have healed beside them. I have distributed alms beside them. We have looked over lost children together, we have helped the lost together, we have stood together, for better things. Noble things. And against worse things. Cruel things."

He nods firmly. "Yes, I know many such people, whose hearts are filled with love and tolerance, wisdom, duty. Who share their time and effort to aid others. Whose hearts burn with compassion for those in need, and righteous fury against those who hurt others."

Ameris smiles, as if relating a glory. "I speak of the paladins of the Radiant Heart and Silver Rose, the knights of the Everwatch and the Lathanderites of Beregost, standing as they do against monsters and undead to fight in defence of the innocent. I speak of the druids and rangers of the Elder Circle, guardians of nature, who fight as fierce against unnatural threats as any paladin."

He continues. "I speak of the faithful of goodly and righteous gods in the city, not just of my own faith but of the Triad, or the Watcher, or of Tymora, or of the many visiting goodly clergy we welcome. I speak of that great project, the Halls of Inner Light, bringing together gods of love and tolerance in unity and understanding, and spreading that message to all."

He continues. "I speak of the likes of the Phoenix Company, the Darius Holding Company, the Order of Lions, and the Sword Coast Commercial Exchange, whose charitable efforts have uplifted many out of want and need, slaying the dragons of hunger and want."

He continues. "I speak of the tireless Hellriders of Elturel, at Lord Dhelt's command keep vigil over the lands knows no rest, who harry monsters and villains, and keep the roads in a modicum of safety beyond Duchal lands. A noble task, one emulated by many this past tenday, as many of the groups I have just spoken of, and many other voluneers, took to the roads and brought safety and peace where there was once cruelty and danger."

He continues. "I speak of all those adventurers and champions not in any of those organisations, that stand ready nevertheless to set themselves against that would harm others, guardians by spell or blade, or by soft and gentle word and charitable endeavour."

He continues. "And I speak of those who would seek to help others to help themselves, like Ashan Wayne and his Bladestone Foundation, teaching any who wish for it how to defend themselves, so they need not fear the predators in the world. Noble work, to remove fear."

Ameris falls silent and looks about the crowd. Slowly, his smile fades, and he grows stern in aspect.

A hardness in his voice. "Yes, yes, I have met them. I know many of them well. I know what those who fight to defend this city can do, when they are roused to act. So did the legions of the Blight so find." His hands grip the lectern.

He leans forward. "I do not speak words of warning now to the people of this city. No. I want them to listen to what comes. It is for them I speak, so they understand they can sleep easily at night. But not to them."

He grips the lectern, a fire in his voice. "I speak instead to those who set aside their empathy and hold themselves above others in selfishness. Those that pursue evil and cruelty, and set aside mercy and kindness. Those that think their own greed makes it fair to deny others freedom, happiness, safety, and life. I speak to all the predators and tyrants and slavers and murders and torturers. I speak to the followers of dark gods who preach of death and ruin; I speak to crazed culists to dragons and fiends; I speak to those who kneel before a hag with a serpent's mark and those who offer up their service to a lich of bones."

That fire is an anger. "I speak to you, who defy the law and use fear blended with lies to bring this city to heel, and make it a thing of profit for you, or a thing to further your divine, insane goals. I speak to those who think that it is unmarked that a woman lived in fear until she was slain on the streets of Baldur's Gate – a woman, who despite being my foe, did not deserve this. I speak to those that think it is acceptable to play out the war between evils with another here, in these walls."

Ameris gestures to the nearby eastern gate. "Right by the eastern gate, that one gate that stood firm against even the Blight, under my Sister Reine Arlynson's command, insulting all who gave their lives to hold the line."

Ameris takes a breath, calming. Some moments pass. His gaze dips. He drums his fingers on the lectern. He looks to his left, then his right, then to the crowd once more.

"I speak in case you think you will teach this lesson of fear and all will look and calmly accept it. I speak to you and say this. You are not unmarked. You are not unknown. You are not unwatched. The shadows do not hide your cruelty as you think they do. The blood red footprints you leave mark your passage, allowing pursuit to close. Those who have slept, awaken. Their compassion and mercy for those who suffer turns to fury at your cruelty. Set it aside now. Now. Choose a better path. I will help you." He presses his hand to his chest. "Many will help you, if you seek to change."

A pause. "But continue in your ways, sinners, and there will a time when you will hear music play. A song of justice. And your deeds will be held to account."

Ameris raises his hand to bless the crowd, his very long winded threat to a large variety of evil organisations done. "In the name of Ilmater the wise, the merciful, the enduring."

Return to “The 1353 (2017) Campaign”