Custom Appearances

Suggestions for Aesthetics, Graphical Changes, and Other Media Team Items

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, Quality Control, DM

DM Echo

Custom Appearances

Unread post by DM Echo »

DM Ghost will be covering custom appearance requests until further notice!

A quick video guide I did for creating your own custom items. I hope this makes it a bit easier for people. ~Echo

Out of respect for the artist I should mention this song is Echo, by Crusher-P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQKGUgOfD8U
Thankfully, Bloodlust did a lot of the forum work for me so I will just copy his post here. I decided to take over his job of customizing item appearances. Follow Bloodlust's guide but, I wont limit the number of items you can have customized, unless it gets out of hand. Also, I will have a priority system in place. It will be first come first serve for those who send me 1 item, those sending me 2 will come after, and so on. The more you send me at once, the longer you can expect it to take to receive your items. If you do not have toolset experience and you see an appearance you like and you want a bit of your own modification, such as color or such, send me a screenshot of the properties of the item you possess and a screenshot of the appearance and I will get to building it in the toolset.. but you will be low priority due to the time it takes. Also, I give everyone IP rights for their own creations. If you want to copy a player's appearance, you must have their consent. That is all. :)

If you fail to follow the steps below, I won't bring your item into the game

Step 1:

Open the toolset. Where it says items, right click and pick Create Blueprint -> Module

Step 2: Creating a Weapon or a Shield

In the beginning, it looks like this:
Hidden: show
Now, you should start to change a few things:
  • At the top of the screen under "Icon", you should pick an icon suitable to the item.
  • Under classification, write "bgtscc". Yes, no capital letters.
  • Under baseitem, pick the type of item that it is.
  • Under localized name, pick a name for the item. You MUST name the item after the PC. Otherwise it's very annoying for me to figure out who the "sword of orcs" belong to.
  • Under resource name and tag, write something appropriate like in the picture below. No capital letters. The two lines must look exactly the same.
  • Under template resref, there should not say anything. Delete the text "item1" that was there before.
  • Under droppable, check the box to true.
  • Under Item properties, choose the properties that your item have. If the item has a special material, you pick that under material. Make sure the "Item property activation preference" is always set to "Active only when equipped".
  • Finally, change the look of the item. You do this by changing the numbers of model part 1, 2 and 3. Each time you change it, press preview in the top left part of the window to view how it looks like.

Step 2.5: Creating an armor, boots, helmet or gloves

When the item is first made, it looks like this:
Now, I want you to change several things to make this an armor:
  • Under icon, pick a suitable icon
  • Under classification, type "bgtscc", no capital letters
  • Under baseitem, select "Armor"
  • Go down to "Armor type (for game rules) and select the type of armor that it is. Default is cloth. As you can see in the picture below, I created a fullplate.
  • Pick a localized name. The name MUST include the name of your PC.
  • Do the rest, fill in resource name, tag, let template resref be blank, set the item to droppable, pick item properties and make sure it's only active when equipped.
Now that you're done with all that, look at the top right corner of the window and you'll see "Armor Set". If you don't, just make sure you've changed the baseitem to armor and click on the item name in the window and it should come up:

The window you're looking at now is this:
You can change the look of the armor within the highlighted box. Make sure no area is open while you do this, or you won't see the appearance changing.

Here is an example armor:
Notice that I changed the type to fullplate, number 50, and added some colour in the topright part of the screen. I also added some shoulderpads, and coloured them as well. You can add several things here: bracer, elbow, hip etc etc.

However, I do NOT want you to add any helmets, cloaks, gloves or boots to the armor. Why? When you equip an item, it will overwrite the appearance anyway. Second, it just uses up unneccessary space. Third, in the case of helmets it would allow you to be masked without even wearing a helmet, which is a bit exploitative when it comes to RP. The only exception is adding belts. Here is a picture of the armor with a belt added:
As you can see, I checked the belt box so its visible, then picked a belt. Belts include armor overlays, like the tunic I added to this armor. I also coloured this tunic.

----------------

Step 3: Exporting the items

Topleft corner of your screen, hit "file" then "Export".
Then, this new window comes up. Change the type from "conversations" to "Itemblueprints"
Last, go through the list and click on the items you want to export so they end up in the right column of the window. Like in the picture below:
Press OK. Name the file and save it somewhere. Then use a fileuploader to send it to me in a PM.

----------------

If you want more options than what's available with the basic toolset, download these files. You can also just make the items in Jegs training module

Extract and put in your module folder
Extract and put in your hak folder

----------------

RULES

It works like this: You create an item that's an exact copy of an item you have on the server, but with a changed appearance. You then upload it and send it to me in a PM.

So please, don't make items with +4 AC when you have no such items. The only differences you are allowed to make is to remove light sources, but not add them. That's it. Otherwise the item must be exactly the same.

If you fail to follow the steps above, I won't bring your item into the game

Also, I've a list of all the people who got custom items the two previous times. If you've gotten 3+ item appearance changes already, then I'll only accept 1 item from you. For anyone else, 3 is the limit. And please, don't send in items if you're not going to collect. I've 5 items that I've now destroyed, from people that haven't been playing since it seems.

I'll stop accepting items to my inbox on June 18th, 12 GMT.
Last edited by Ghost on Fri May 18, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Reason: Edited who will be handling this.
DM Echo

Re: Custom Appearances

Unread post by DM Echo »

EXAMPLES OF ACCEPTABLE APPEARANCES
EXAMPLES OF UNACCEPTABLE APPEARANCES
Rask
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Rask »

For the purpose of said customer appearances, what haks/custom appearance packs does the server use ?? I have not been in the loop on these things for a long, long time.
Rennec Rokranon, Chosen of Helm, Retired for now
Isra Wynterborne, Necromancer Hunter
Rask, The Lich, Retired
S.Ravenpath, collector an author of tall tales.
Nathka Blacksand - Khazark of the Enclave
Richter Bedevere - The Reveler and enjoyer of fine wines
DM Echo

Unread post by DM Echo »

If you read through the post you will see a link to the Jegs training module. It has the haks you'll need for custom appearances.
Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Deathgrowl »

Rask wrote:For the purpose of said customer appearances, what haks/custom appearance packs does the server use ?? I have not been in the loop on these things for a long, long time.
The ones in your hak folder starting with "bg_". Plus a few others maybe, but you'll get far with those.

Anyways, I'll offer the same as I did when Bloodlust was doing this: I can make the appareance for you if you're not toolset savvy enough. Send me a PM with the item's stats and a description (bonus points if it also includes a picture or two with inspiration/suggestion).
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Obahzk Elf-Skinner, Blackguard of Gruumsh and orcish war drummer

Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
DM Echo

Unread post by DM Echo »

Thank you Deathgrowl :)
Rask
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Rask »

DM Echo wrote:If you read through the post you will see a link to the Jegs training module. It has the haks you'll need for custom appearances.
I didn't realize Jegs came with those, thanks for that.
Rennec Rokranon, Chosen of Helm, Retired for now
Isra Wynterborne, Necromancer Hunter
Rask, The Lich, Retired
S.Ravenpath, collector an author of tall tales.
Nathka Blacksand - Khazark of the Enclave
Richter Bedevere - The Reveler and enjoyer of fine wines
Realm1993

Unread post by Realm1993 »

I am only slightly good with the toolset. Is it possible to combine different parts of different articles of clothing? Like an armor piece (Say the top half) with a dress (Say, the skirt)?
I have seen clothing combinations on PCs on the actual server. I can't figure it out myself and I'm unsure if this is armor or just everyday wear.
Meshana Mikhal - Gypsy Dancer from Suzail
Clarissa Hawthorne - Tempest of the Shadows
Rita Faheeling - Noble Archer, Elf with the Heart for Exploration
Gailen Rathios - Charmer, Trickster, Apprentice of the Arcane Arts
Keeara Tare'dagon - Guardian, Hyperactive, Favored of Helm
roke42

Unread post by roke42 »

Is there a deadline for sending in the appearances?
Laya - Cookiemaster of Doron
Valaklith - Shadow of the past
DM Echo

Unread post by DM Echo »

Nope. I decided, unless I get any objections from other DMs, which I haven't yet, to have this open permanently.
DM Echo

Unread post by DM Echo »

-Bump-
A reminder, there is no deadline, so feel free to send me your files.
Ghost
Global Admin

Unread post by Ghost »

As this one has no deadline, I am setting it to sticky so it doesn't disappear to the back pages. Other DMs can also import (the ones who know how to), so you are free to ask us, though we prefer you use DM Echo! :D
Valefort
Retired Admin

Unread post by Valefort »

It was pointed out in the IRC that these links no longer work :

Extract and put in your module folder
Extract and put in your hak folder
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
DM Eminence

Unread post by DM Eminence »

If you would like a custom appearance for the masquerade tomorrow at 18:00 GMT (forumtime), please send the appropriate files at least 5 hours in advance (13:00 GMT) to me. The how-to and all is described in this thread.

Please consider making it a costume outfit only with no added attributes etc, so it will be much smoother and quicker to hand over the outfit instead of fiddling around with removing stats from an already owned item.

You can also add boots, gloves, a helmet & cloak directly attached to the clothes to make it easier as well. (This means you would have to un-equip all those slots when you equip the outfit or else your already equipped items will overwrite the costume).
"Let us ever remember that our interest is in concord, not in conflict."
"And that our real eminence rests in the victories of peace, not those of war."
Retired.
Convolutedline
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Convolutedline »

Please make a cloak that appears as a quiver :o

please

PLEAAAAASE

PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE

I tried but, I failed... Not as much fail as when I tried making a map because I made a map w.o creatures or items...

But, I failed..

PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE

Return to “Media”