TIPs to Swearing in the FR setting

Moderators: Moderator, DM

thids

Re: TIPs to Swearing in the FR setting

Unread post by thids »

Banite edition

"Aumarrath!" (contraction of "In memory of Aumarrath!" [Aumarrath the Tyrant-King was an early prophet of Bane, and this oath is polite enough to be used to superior clergy, denoting holy awe or satisfaction, somewhat akin to the real world: "Blood of the Virgin!" or "Name of the God!"])
"Blackfire!" ("Blood of the God!" [used in awe, admiration, or profane amazement, but never when angry or disgusted; is much less formal than "Aumarrath!"])
"Clathenar!" ("Holy crap!" or: "Jesus!" [Clathenar was an unintentional martyr of Bane whose long-ago holy service was one long sequence of disastrous screwups, so this oath is always used like a groan of dismay or spat out in despairing anger, when something has gone seriously wrong]; pronounced 'CLATH-en-ar')
"Embarranar!" (a gloating thanks to Bane for something that's gone well, or a victory, or unlooked-for aid or good fortune, roughly equivalent to a delighted: "Son of a BITCH!" or "Don't that take all!"; pronounced 'Em-bar-RAN-ar')
"Hand of Hate!" ([contraction of the rarely-heard "Feel the Hand of Hate!"] an expression only snarled at foes or victims being slain; rough equivalent of a real-world: "DIE, mother(do-me)er!")
"Holy Fist!" ("Jesus Christ!")
"Krisk!" ("(#2)!")
"Lurruk!" ("Bloody hell!" or "Damn!"; pronounced 'LUR-uh-kh')
"Sark!" ("Blast!" or: "(do-me)!")
"Talar!" ("Well, damn!" [a mild expression of surprise or dismay])
"Tondrabbar!" ("To the God!" [a war-cry or exulting expression uttered when an offering is touched aflame or broken, a foe is struck, or an attack is launched (i.e. it would be the first shout of a surprise attack); pronounced 'Tawn-DRAB-bar')
"Whiteblood!" ("Bloody hell!" or "Jesus (do-me) Christ!" [profane shock or disgust])
Lord Maximilian Blackthorne - retired
Hawke

Unread post by Hawke »

Folks, I know the point of the thread, but you need to refrain from personal attacks or actual cursing or being offensive to PCs, Players, and let's keep religion and politics out of it.

I do not want to take further action, so please mod your own threads, before I have to drill down.

Thank you.
twigs

Unread post by twigs »

Zanniej wrote:Dwarf:
Bearded gnome
Half-man

Anyone got any other race- or class-specific curse words?
I personally like "rock-humper" for dwarves :)

I have in fact made a long list of (hopefully) server appropriate swear words in the past, to make playing some of my more foul-mouthed characters easier. I'm happy to share! I myself keep them in a table, adjectives left and nouns right - then mix to your heart's desire. Enjoy!

Nouns:
Hidden: show
• bog hag
• bug bear
• dung heap
• beast-lover
• harpy
• turtle-lover
• beetle dropping
• bullywug
• troll barf
• tunnel worm
• rust bucket
• sewer rat
• hell spawn
• gelatinous cube/pus
• scab on a troll's wart
• gnoll face
• oaf
• sod
• orcsnack
• orcwit
• pignut
• ratsbane
• rock humper
• twig
• flea trap
And the Adjectives to go with any of those:
Hidden: show
• unshaven
• pox ridden
• butter-fingered
• limp-chested
• mewling, rotten
• craven, unwashed
• porridge eating
• warty
• witless
• repugnant, lice-ridden
• cross-eyed
• miserable mound of
• sour faced
• clay brained
• fly-bitten
• scabby
• pissing
• flap mouthed
• shoddy
• wrinkly
• sweaty
• barking
• pebble-brained
• goat-fathered
Ramas Khan
DM Lobo

Unread post by DM Lobo »

//want to give this thread a bump, some good stuff here.
...Black wolf of the night

All text in Blue is My personal opinion and NOT related to the DM team
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

Just a reminder for players to refrain from using modern-day swear words in-game please.

I am bumping (and soon stickying) this thread so you can swear in lore appropriate ways to your heart's content. Copy your favourites into your IG journal and use them as often as you can :)
Kasus_Cloud

Unread post by Kasus_Cloud »

I got a couple for you. Pretty wide range, I draw from mid 1100's to 1700's. most of these are real-world insults which could be applied safely to a fantasy setting such as FR.

Common/Otherwise Potential Swears:

Harpy [I, E] ~ A Foul, ill-tempered, wicked or manipulative Woman

Maggot [I, E] ~ A worm.

Miscreant ~ A Hoodlum or otherwise unsavory or villainous type.

Harlot ~ (germbag).

Ingrate [I, E] ~ An (hero).

(Inbred) Swine ~ Comparing someone to a pig. Frequently used with 'Inbred' for effect, thusly calling someone a foul-blooded swine.

Churl ~ Peasant

Cad ~ A mean or unsavory fellow, a con artist.

Fop/Foppish ~ A pretender, someone who is vain, ostentatious, or otherwise ridiculous.

Dog ~ A morally reprehensible person, occasionally 'dirty' is used as adjective for effect and further insult.

Gadabout ~ A hedonist, or someone who restlessly travels between venues seeking entertainment.

Heathen ~ I think this one should be obvious, but as a refresher.... A faithless or blasphemous person, an uncultured/uncivilized individual.

Ruffain ~ A bully.

Scamp [I] ~ Used to describe a worthless fellow or a roguelike individual.

Infectious [I] ~ A blight on those near them.

Varlet [I] ~ Two-faced.

Craven [I] ~ A coward, cowardly.
"All Things End. It is the universal truth of our world. From the tiniest plant to the tallest mountain, from the frailest infant to the mightiest god, all things shall expire.
Omnium Rerum Finem!"

Return to “Archive”