PSA on RCRing with same names

Moderators: Moderator, DM

DM Wafflehouse

PSA on RCRing with same names

Unread post by DM Wafflehouse »

Hello ladies and gentlemen just a quick service announcement about RCRing your characters.

When creating a new character do not use the exact same name as a pre-existing or recently deleted character. If your deleted Joe Blogs create Joe Bloggs instead. Using the exact same name will cause bugs in the database which effect your language selections and maybe more.
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Re: PSA on RCRing with same names

Unread post by mrm3ntalist »

DM Wafflehouse wrote:Hello ladies and gentlemen just a quick service announcement about RCRing your characters.

When creating a new character do not use the exact same name as a pre-existing or recently deleted character. If your deleted Joe Blogs create Joe Bloggs instead. Using the exact same name will cause bugs in the database which effect your language selections and maybe more.
If you want to keep the same name, RCR you character using the bot and wait till the next reset to make him with the same name. The reset clears any stored variables regarding the languages.
IS EMOTIONAL KEKW - GIT GUD

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

Spelling mistakes are purposely entered for your entertainment!
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Unread post by mrm3ntalist »

Or even RCR using the bot, get the xp, level up but select NO languages. After the reset you can select them with every language being available to you
IS EMOTIONAL KEKW - GIT GUD

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

Spelling mistakes are purposely entered for your entertainment!
NeOmega

Unread post by NeOmega »

I did a test with my character RCR FRIEND 1000. I made another one with the same exact name. After I logged, and got to the character selection screen, only the original RCR FRIEND 1000 was available. Which, confirms my suspicions, to never name a character the exact same name as one you already have.

Also, if you rename a character the exact same name as when you RCR one, you will have the same quests... ...which means many will probably be broken.
Darradarljod

Unread post by Darradarljod »

Recreated with the exact same name yesterday and it was a very broken experience, languages etc aside...

I did not get access to level 10 rogue feats, and one of my level ups awarded 24 skill points instead of 12, and allowed me to rank skills up by 2 points each instead of 1. The next level up awarded the regular 12 skill points but I had to spend them all in a skill I hadn't ranked to progress, because my main skills were already maxed for that level. Its all fixed now with another RCR ... but yes, it is dodgy business.
Garn Greymoon

Unread post by Garn Greymoon »

So is there currently anyway to RCR a character with the same name without any glitches?

Vabo . . . . . Gnome Druid - The Mushroom Man
Dag . . . . . Gnome Bard - The Twang Fury
Tantive

Unread post by Tantive »

Make an alternative name, wait for reset ..then ask Dm to change your name to original, is the best solution
Elyssa Symbaern - Bladesinger
Isioviel Fereyn - Elven Ranger
Charisa Flomeigne - Scion of Siamorphe
Garn Greymoon

Unread post by Garn Greymoon »

Great, thank you!

Vabo . . . . . Gnome Druid - The Mushroom Man
Dag . . . . . Gnome Bard - The Twang Fury
Tantive

Unread post by Tantive »

Mind you, it can be just a mispelling or extra addition of a letter to your name that could suffice, as an alternative name.
Elyssa Symbaern - Bladesinger
Isioviel Fereyn - Elven Ranger
Charisa Flomeigne - Scion of Siamorphe
TarnishedSoul
Retired Staff

Unread post by TarnishedSoul »

I've RCRed with the same name without issue. The language selections are borked not because of the same name, but because INT modifiers aren't taken into account when a PC has racial or class language skills applied.

During one RCR, I used a different name. There was no change in what languages I could learn versus my regular named PC.
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

And if you're worried about losing custom journal entries/info (I personally record names of met PCs there), you can just copy the contents of said journal txt file from your NWN2 folder into the txt file for your newly RCRed character. If you keep an identical name, you can omit this step (but, as others have pointed out, you may run into other issues).

Return to “Archive”