- DM Cradh
- Posts: 1008
- Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:52 pm
This is an Underdark race.
Tanarukks are orcs with some degree of evil outsider blood, in most cases but not restricted to that of a Tanar'ri. They appear as short, stocky orcs with bristly hair and horns or ridges along the sides of their heads. Also, tanarukks have a distinctive smell of brimstone about them along with a limited ability to manipulate fire. The Tanarukka originated as orc-demon crossbreeds in the region around Hellgate Keep. However, years of dwelling on Faerûn has led to their being regarded as a separate species, rather than simply as tieflings. They're nasty, brutish and not terribly blessed with intelligence; they are, however, extremely dangerous fighters. They can often be found acting as muscle for cambions and other fiendish creatures.
The Tanarukks of Sshamath were purposefully brought to the city to serve as brutal shocktroops for the slave armies of the Conclave. Most bear the mark of the Conclave prominently on their face and right hand indicating their status as servitors, tasked with keeping the rest of the slave population in check and ensuring their compliance. In Sshamath society Tanarukks are below the other resident races of Duergar and Svirfneblin in rank, treated as useful tools of their masters. Most reside in the slave pens of the Conclave, meting out terrible violence on the slave population of orcs, goblins and kobolds. Some have recently been seen in the Darkspires, living amongst the other non-illythiri in a pack organization. It is rumored this group, led by a particularly intelligent and magic-capable Tanarukk has negotiated a special arrangement with the Conclave allowing them more autonomy in return for their service as fearless, secret shocktroops.
- Ability Adjustments: +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -1 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma.
- Darkvision: Tanarukks can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
- Fire Resistance: Fire resistance 5.
- Natural Armor: Natural armor +1. This bonus stacks with everything.
- Weapon Proficiency: Tanarukks are naturally proficient with all simple and martial weapons.
- Reach to the Blaze: Once per day, a tanarukk can call upon his demonic nature and radiate flames which damage all those within 5 feet, doing 2d4 points of fire damage per round (Reflex save for half damage). This effect lasts for 5 rounds.
- Favored class: Fighter. A multiclass tanarukk's Fighter class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
- Level Adjustment +1: Tanarukks are more powerful and gain levels more slowly than other races. It will take more experience for a tanarukk to reach level 2 than it would for normal races, for example.
This is an Underdark Race.
Secret and few, the deep Imaskari are heirs to the lost empire of Imaskar. One of the earliest human empires, Imaskar rose in what is now the Dust Desert and Plains of Purple Dust. Wizard-kings of heady power, the Imaskari were destroyed by the slaves they had abducted from other worlds (who eventually became the folk of Mulhorand and Unther) and the machinations of unusual creatures of their own creation (the phaerimms). The Imaskari faded away into history as their empire crumbled, leaving behind nothing but mysterious ruins. A secret few, however, charged with epic wizardry, managed to preserve themselves and their kin. Fleeing deep into the bowels of the earth, they sealed themselves away from both the knowledge and the recriminations of the surface world.
The deepest fissures of the earth have long hidden an ancient secret: The descendants of the Imaskari still live. Thousands of years of isolation combined with purposeful magical modifications have transformed these deep Imaskari into a human subrace adapted to life underground. The deep Imaskari have long managed to conceal the existence of their hidden kingdom even from other Underdark races by enforcing complete separation. Now, however, deep Imaskari isolation is coming to an end. The magical seal that so long protected the kingdom of Deep Imaskar has been breached, and a few deep Imaskari have begun to wander the deep ways of the world that their ancestors fled long ago.
- Ability Adjustments: -2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence.
- Low-Light Vision: An Imaskari can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination.
- Spell Clutch: Because the deep Imaskari have studied magic for ages on end, a certain facility with magic has seeped into their blood. A deep Imaskari can add one extra 1st-level spell to her known spellbook (after the first time they rest).
- Feats: Imaskari gain Skill Focus (Hide) as a bonus feat.
- Favored Class: Wizard. A multiclass Deep Imaskari's wizard class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.