Shadow Conjuration : Magic Missile and Shadow Evocation

It Does What It Says on the Tin: Resolved Issues

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Valefort
Retired Admin

Re: Shadow Conjuration : Magic Missile

Unread post by Valefort »

Ty, I'll remove Moonbolt though, Druid spell.
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
Valefort
Retired Admin

Re: Shadow Conjuration : Magic Missile

Sorry for the pnp purists but I won't do the 20% and will save part, otherwise the spell will really be awful.
Ewe

Re: Shadow Conjuration : Magic Missile and Shadow Evocation

Unread post by Ewe »

Are you adding custom shadowy vfx for each option? Like the shadowy magic missile?
AKA Dae-Glyth
Discord: Dae-Glyth#1759
Valefort
Retired Admin

I merely did the "shadow" magic missile, which I assumed was the vanilla effect.
Aspect of Sorrow

Unread post by Aspect of Sorrow »

Valefort wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:32 pm I merely did the "shadow" magic missile, which I assumed was the vanilla effect.
It was, thank you!
Ewe wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:59 pm Are you adding custom shadowy vfx for each option? Like the shadowy magic missile?
I don't mind taking the time to recreate shadowed visuals for those entitled spells.
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Unread post by DaloLorn »

Truth be told, Shadow Evocation is hindered by the current UI. The same issue exists with trying to use Shadow Conjuration for most spells that aren't Mage Armor, or for trying to teleport/summon during a fight: You pick a target, you cast the spell, and then you have to navigate through the menu to find whatever effect you were trying to cast. By the time you're finished, the tactical context that led you to cast the spell may have expired, wasting a spell at best, and potentially making it actively harmful to you and your allies. In the case of teleportation, you might even be dead by the time you pick your destination.

Being able to somehow select one or more options to "quickcast" would be a great improvement, IMO. You could have a Teleport option which forgoes the teleportation menu in favor of teleporting to the last destination you selected via a new "Preselect Teleport" feat, or Shadow Conjuration/Evocation options which similarly casts the last spell you chose from new "Preselect Shadow Conjuration/Evocation" feats.
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
Valefort
Retired Admin

It's a bit why I asked to make a reasonable list :D

For the same reason I stuck only with offensive spells, skipping the hostile/non-hostile step of shadow conjuration, if that is desired I'll add non-hostile too though.

https://wiki.bgtscc.net/index.php?title ... _Evocation
Dolorof

Unread post by Dolorof »

One way to fix the time it takes to actually selected the wanted spell would be perhaps to change it into one of those spells that grants a feat? If so, what could be done was to make it just like the assassin "spellbook" which is a feat that turns into a mini "menu" where the player is able to direct select the desired spell. I have no idea if this can work as i have zero knowledge about tool needed to make those things, its just a suggestion to try and make it better to select the wanted spell.

Also, any plans for the greater version and maybe shades?
Eroan Sandram - Citzen of Doron Amar
Character Sheet
Meredith Nid - The gnome mage
Character Sheet

Discord: Dolorof#1390 - Brazilian Timezone (GMT-3)
YYA

Unread post by YYA »

And here I think of the reverse of 'Reserve Feats' mixed in with some of the custom Polymorph changes...

Namely, when you cast first cast Shadow Evocation, you get a feat that can be toggled either on and off, which makes it so that Shadow Conjuration only casts a specific spell at the target. In other words, it brings up a menu of the allowed spells, and when you click one, the game remembers the selection, and allowing you to cast that one spell whenever you fling out a Shadow Evocation, or Conjuration.
If you are offended by what I said have said above, I have recieved my last warning, I have discussed Intuitive Attack, so report - for I do not mind. Getting me banned is nothing special, it happens every week. But you could also choose not to be offended, this place needs more banter, your choice.
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Unread post by DaloLorn »

YYA wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:01 am And here I think of the reverse of 'Reserve Feats' mixed in with some of the custom Polymorph changes...

Namely, when you cast first cast Shadow Evocation, you get a feat that can be toggled either on and off, which makes it so that Shadow Conjuration only casts a specific spell at the target. In other words, it brings up a menu of the allowed spells, and when you click one, the game remembers the selection, and allowing you to cast that one spell whenever you fling out a Shadow Evocation, or Conjuration.
Yeah, that would be my preferred approach. Being able to slot a "shadow quickcast" spell for those scenarios where you just need to quickly fire off a spell.
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
EasternCheesE
QC Coordinator

Unread post by EasternCheesE »