Paladin cannot take Lendys as a deity

It Does What It Says on the Tin: Resolved Issues

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Rhifox
Retired Admin (Acting Assistant Admin)

Re: Paladin cannot take Lendys as a deity

Unread post by Rhifox »

Hoihe wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:13 am
Rhifox wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:01 pm Lendys and Null are listed as only having dragon worshipers and concerning themselves with draconic issues. So they are not allowed for clerics or paladins on BG. Asgorath is currently allowed for clerics, but really shouldn't be for the same reasons.

Hlal, Tamara, and Tiamat are listed in lore as having non-draconic worshipers, so that's why those ones are open.
I think for draconic worshippers only, although niche, Sorcerer/Dragon disciple 10/ClericX would technically qualify if Halfs are allowed. Not sure if it's possible to set that specific case up though.
Yeah, we talked about it. Sadly, not possible to set it up.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
abousalif

Unread post by abousalif »

So it will never be possible to take Lendys if you are paladin or cleric?

That makes me sad. I had it before RCR and now I have to change deity for build reason.
Blake Highotwer
abousalif

LazyTrain wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:17 pm You literally can't have a deity that only X worships, it's not possible. The whole of D&D is not as monolithic if y'all would like to believe.

Just use a substitute dragon god and if anybody asks, say you worship Lendys. For all intents and purposes, your character can worship whoever they want.
you can take lendys asanyone that is not cleric or paladin right now on the server. My character had it before RCR.

Blake Highotwer
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

LazyTrain wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:17 pm You literally can't have a deity that only X worships, it's not possible. The whole of D&D is not as monolithic if y'all would like to believe.

Just use a substitute dragon god and if anybody asks, say you worship Lendys. For all intents and purposes, your character can worship whoever they want.
Gods can refuse to acknowledge a worshipper, and declare them False when they die.

They can also refuse to grant spells to certain races, even if they do consider them True.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
abousalif

LazyTrain wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:11 pm
abousalif wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:07 pm

you can take lendys asanyone that is not cleric or paladin right now on the server. My character had it before RCR.

Yeah I mean just use a substitute deity that works for now, preferably trying to keep it draconic.

I only meant that you can't have a deity that only a certain group worships in lore because it makes no god damn sense, not talking specifically about mechanical stuff.
yes that is what I am doing atm.
Blake Highotwer
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

Yeah I mean just use a substitute deity that works for now, preferably trying to keep it draconic.

I only meant that you can't have a deity that only a certain group worships in lore because it makes no god damn sense, not talking specifically about mechanical stuff.

People may worship a god,

does not mean the god will respond and especially not:

Grant powerful divine boons like:
Ability to heal disease
Ability to heal wounds by laying on hands
Immunity to disease
Ability to smite evil by infusing the divine essence will of a god in your weapon.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper »

That is quite clearly incorrect in regard to Forgotten Realms.

Your feelings on it aside, thats the world the server is set in and the lore that its built around. Gods can and do limit who gains power through worship.

I wouldn't recommend going around those restrictions by playing opposite your player sheet, either.
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Player Housing Guidelines

View-Intention-Speech-Action-Livelihood-Effort-Mindfulness-Concentration
Alexander Holgart

Unread post by Alexander Holgart »

LazyTrain wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:20 pm Best takeaway from this thread is that folks are fine to bend lore or go off on their server lore for their characters but when someone else wants to do it they'll find a hundred different reasons to make sure someone else can't do it.

The BGTSCC experience.
Please, let's keep the conversation constructive around the topic at hand.

I'm giving a warning now, the message could be considered borderline with forum rules so let's not derail the talk.

Let's be nice and civil without pointing fingers, if there is any pointing fingers to be made the forum rules are pretty clear about solving that privately.

That said, carry on!
Rhifox
Retired Admin (Acting Assistant Admin)

Unread post by Rhifox »

All gods can have worshipers from all races. I would agree with removing racial restrictions from all deities, personally. If you want to take, say, Lolth as a patron as a surfacer human, you should be able to.

Whether or not a deity will grant spells and powers to clerics and paladins of certain races, however, is up to the god.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
Hydros

Unread post by Hydros »

Rhifox wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:42 pm All gods can have worshipers from all races. I would agree with removing racial restrictions from all deities, personally. If you want to take, say, Lolth as a patron as a surfacer human, you should be able to.

Whether or not a deity will grant spells and powers to clerics and paladins of certain races, however, is up to the god.
I'd entirely agree with this. Characters are free to worship whoever they want. But if said gods would grant them any forms of spells or powers or whatnot, is a completely different issue. It's the same situations with a lot of the Seldarine, they have non-elven worshippers, but non-ruathar are rarely, if ever, granted powers by the Seldarine, because they only really care about elves.
Alarielle Nulei'ren, The Hawk of Evermeet - "Shunti tel'adar's dath nha teague feer, nhel nu nesh ath tel'quiet foqal"
Hydros

Unread post by Hydros »

LazyTrain wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:07 pm
Hydros wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:53 pm
Rhifox wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:42 pm All gods can have worshipers from all races. I would agree with removing racial restrictions from all deities, personally. If you want to take, say, Lolth as a patron as a surfacer human, you should be able to.

I'd entirely agree with this. Characters are free to worship whoever they want. But if said gods would grant them any forms of spells or powers or whatnot, is a completely different issue. It's the same situations with a lot of the Seldarine, they have non-elven worshippers, but non-ruathar are rarely, if ever, granted powers by the Seldarine, because they only really care about elves.
Regarding the Seldarine(ish), Silverstar and specifically the church of Selune are incredibly diverse and have 0 race restrictions. I'm sure there are much more selective and secretive groups of Seldarine worshipers but there's definitely at least one very prominent example of a very open deity.

Edit, but leaving the above post for posterity cuz I'm thinking of the WRONG GODDDD: Selune is not part of the Seldarine I'm just dumb and can't remember who belongs wheeeeeeeeere

Edit2: I was thinking of Deep Sashelas, Idk how I managed to get dolphin and moonlady confused
I did say a lot of the Seldarine, not all.
Alarielle Nulei'ren, The Hawk of Evermeet - "Shunti tel'adar's dath nha teague feer, nhel nu nesh ath tel'quiet foqal"
Roofshadow

Unread post by Roofshadow »

I think that's the main thing-- most of lore says "usually, mostly, often", etc. Qualifiers that tell you: it's not all. In this case, the lore for Lendys even plainly says that there are non-dragon worshippers. If a non-dragon paladin is upholding the dogma of the deity, it stands to reason the deity might offer them divine power as long as they do so, just as deities will randomly hand-pick chosen ones to be their Favored Souls who haven't even done anything remotely dogmatic yet. Gods have odd whims, whims that are not always so rigid or clear, as established lore already shows. The sanctity of a server's lore is not threatened by allowing for the overall flexibility of Forgotten Realms lore. If anything, that flexibility can be enriching.

Some lore-books even have a little addendum to tell you, 'hey, look, the world's not a monolith, we're just showing you the average thing!' Here's one in the Complete Book of Elves:

Of course, this is one specific playground that can set its own rules and limits, allow what it allows and block what it blocks, but overall FR lore doesn't seem to be intended as a steel-plated box from which there is no escape, and certainly has not evolved to be so.

Also, given the large, large amount of dragon-blooded folks on the server, I don't think the server's position on dragons is very far removed from humanity. If flesh and blood dragons are so very, very ready to mingle ;) , I can't imagine deities are so far behind, for keeping to server lore.
Lyra Roofshadow - Scout & Trap-Remover
Rowan Quinn - Medic & Farmhand
Riva Rootclaw - Druid & Huntsman
yyj

Unread post by yyj »

A suggestion for OP:

Submit a request to the DM team, either for an event or a way to see if there's some for to roleplay such a deity taking note of a human because how it seems to be right now is that it only cares for dragons, then maybe such request can have more weight if backed up by RP, in order for having such change in the world setting.

Return to “Solved Problems”