Scrying/Greater Scrying appear to have incorrect durations

Bugs or issues that have been fixed and will be live in the next server patch (the next time you download a server update)

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Kitunenotsume

Scrying/Greater Scrying appear to have incorrect durations

Unread post by Kitunenotsume »

As mentioned in my suggestions thread for the spell, both Scrying and Greater Scrying have durations far shorter than their spell-descriptions suggest.

Greater Scrying is listed as a 1-minute per level duration, but ingame is only 30 seconds per level (5 rounds/CL)

Scrying is listed as 30 seconds per level, but appears to last 12 seconds per level (2 rounds/CL)
I play a baker. Sometimes she provides counseling or treatment.
Ask about our Breadflower daily special to save five coppers off a purchase of five pastries.
She seems unusually interested in cursed items.
She has also been seeking a variety of gems and stones.
Valefort
Retired Admin

Re: Scrying/Greater Scrying appear to have incorrect durations

Unread post by Valefort »

Things are correct in the script so I'm not sure on that one, can you double check ?
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
Kitunenotsume

Unread post by Kitunenotsume »

Giving an update on this one:

I've run a few tests comparing Summon Monster 1 (1 minute/level) (hereafter [SM1]) with both Scrying (purportedly 30sec/level) and Greater Scrying (purportedly minute/level).
Expected results:
A) Greater Scrying should unsummon shortly before SM1 if cast first.
B) 2 Scrying should last slightly longer than SM1 if cast first, due to 1-minute cast time.

So far, I have the following:
1) SM1 lasts shorter than 2 Greater Scrying (7) (G.scrying cast first, then Summon, then later G.Scrying when the first times out, accounting for a -minute cast delay seems to match the delay).
2) SM1 lasts longer than Greater Scrying (7) + Greater Scrying (9). (even with the 1-minute cast for GS(9))
3) SM1 lasts longer than 3 but less than 4 Scrying (5). (Again, 1-minute cast time each)
4) SM1 lasts longer than 3 but less than 4 Greater Scrying (9). (Same results as third test)
5) SM1 lasts shorter than 2 Scrying (2) (Results same as the first test.)

From this, I conclude:
Scrying (2) has proper duration (5-rounds/level).
Scrying (5) has half duration (2-3 rounds/level).
Greater Scrying (7) has half duration (5 rounds/level).
Greater Scrying (9) has 1/4th duration (2-3 rounds/level).

My follow-up question here is "Why does scrying have such a nerfed duration, particularly considering the lengthy cast-time?", given that P&P has Scrying with minute/level, and Greater Scrying with hour/level.
Moving to standard durations would likely also alleviate duration recalculations in the code.
I play a baker. Sometimes she provides counseling or treatment.
Ask about our Breadflower daily special to save five coppers off a purchase of five pastries.
She seems unusually interested in cursed items.
She has also been seeking a variety of gems and stones.
EasternCheesE
QC Coordinator

Unread post by EasternCheesE »

With recent addition of CL being posted to PC combat log, i see that both scrying and greater scrying have their CL calculated wrong.
It applies to other multi-round cast spells as well (i checked army of death). Investigating.

Return to “Fixed (Live Next Update)”