General Relief and Recovery in the North (Player/DM IC RP)

The "Year of the Dragon" Campaign

Moderators: Moderator, DM

HappyDays

Re: General Relief and Recovery in the North (Player/DM IC R

Unread post by HappyDays »

Event: Player patrol on the northern trade way
Date: 4/17

Having heard rumors of Black Orcs between Triel and Soubar, Tad and myself did a patrol between Soubar and Triel today along the northern tradeway.

I admit the timing of our patrol was not the greatest. By the time we arrived at the tradeway it was pouring a hard rain in the dark of night. It was to dark to see anything, so I put a bright magical light over my head, in hopes that might attract anything nasty in the area.
Hidden: show

We noticed the whole place was covered in a dense mist. I could hear the wind howling, but the mist clung to the ground and left a horrible taste in my mouth. The wind did not seem to effect the mist like it should. This cut down on my visibility, but Tad could see better then myself.

Moving south from Triel we were attacked by what looked to us to be starving wolves. These creatures attacked us one at a time, and looked pretty mangy. The only other life evident was Raven that seemed to haunt the area, like cawing in the wind in the most disturbing way.
What we did not see was any goblin riders. This place had a reputation for them, and something either wiped them out or pushed them away. We theorized this might be a sign that there was black orcs in the area, but it is certainly no proof.

Not far from the road was some deserted ruins, that Tad saw a light near. We moved to check them out, and were surprised to find several tents hidden among the ruins. Someone is clearly hiding here, or at least keeping a very low profile.
We exited to Triel, which I had been told before hand was a horrible ruin, It was not, it was ruins, but there was grass everywhere. Reminded me of a large field.

Along the Trade way we were convinced something had pushed the goblins out. In the darkness and the rain, we really were not able to investigate. I plan to follow up with another patrol within the next ten day, to investigate off the road and into the forest to the east for any clues.

-- Elly
HappyDays

4/22 - Patrol East of the Tradeway into the Forest of Wurms.

After our last patrol along the trade way turned up lots of questions and no answers, we decided to follow up on rumors of orcs in the forest. We had also heard of a meteor that had come down there.

We met at the lodge, where quite a following gathered together for this patrol. A few would leave early, but by the time we arrived at the forest of wurms we had:
Elly
Klait Goldwind'
Loghain Keswick
Manah
Mo'star
Sette
Tad
Terri L
Vendor Xon
Initially we relied on Vendor to guide us through the heavy mists. He guided us to an entrance into the thick woods. Shortly there after we were attacked by a number of dragons, of various species, seemingly working together. This was a puzzle as the metallic and the colored fought side by side. Some sort of deep corruption was happening here, and we did not find answers to it.
We first encountered a grove of Mushrooms, and were attacked by walking mushroom things. The area seemed to be heavy with their scent, and we were careful not to eat any. Manah found an odd book here, one on assassins poisons. Loghain would end up destroying the book with his sword, which also ignited it into flames.
Moving on Manah began to relate stories from a friend of hers, about evil dragons holding meetings in this forest. This discussion would continue for some time, and we found alters or something that clearly looked YaunTi-ish in nature. The dicussion would turn to Tiamat, which apparently if I remember right was an evil five headed dragon. On that subject, we also found large five headed snakes.
and large snakes with single heads to.
Someone, I think maybe Vendor pointed out a dragon was just a snake with wings, legs, and brains. Another pointed out that the coincidence of a five headed snake and dragon worship seemed unlikely.

Moving through the forest, we came across an odd keep embedded in the hill, the door seemed a bit small for dragons, and was securely locked. We were unable to enter, even after trying sometime.
We wandered around in the heavy fog of the forest for what seemed like forever. The number of dragon attacks declined, as it seemed we were walking over and over on the same steps. Our discipline broke down as the danger level seemed to fade, and we began to scatter away from Vendor's lead. Eventually a party would find a portal we were unable to activate.

In time, with the dragon threat temporary suppressed, the entrance to the crater was found. With lots of yelling, some searching, a few sendings, and the fact we all seemed to leave a blazing trail as we tromped through the forest, we were all able to meet a the crater.

Eventually we pushed into the crater, fighting two large elementals. After an epic battle they were brought down back to earth. Inside the crater we noticed the statue of a large dragon staring down at us, unnervingly. The statue gave me the chills, and it looked so life like it made me nervous the entire time I was there.

We searched for a while, found a large number of skeletons, including dragon ones. As if something was visiting here and feasting on the dragons that wander into the crater. There was this large energy globe floating a few feet above the ground. I am not sure what it was, but my guess was some sort of lure.
As our investigations of the tradeway, what we did not find was more puzzling then what we found. There was meteor in the crater, it was gone. We never saw any black orcs. The whole area was alive, unlike the trade way. It was suggested Black Orcs dragged the meteor away, but it is unknown to us how or where.

Once we were frustrated with our search, we asked Vendor to guide us out, which he generously did. As we exited we found a large hole. Terri felt there was black orcs down it, and Loghain was sure it was just ants. Terri mentioned it was one of the last strong holds of the black orc war a few years back. Loghain seemed to have personal experience down there. If we can ever get the climbing gear together, I am eager to find out.
Like our last patrol, this patrol left us with far more questions then answers. All we know for sure, is the forest of wurms is not what caused the devastation on the trade way.

*signed*
Elly
HappyDays

*letter written on 4/24*

Hello Mayor Matthew of Kheeldriver,
I am writing to offer you the aid of Phoenix Company to your town. I have heard of horrible miasma near by, threatening trolls, and a resurgent plague.

My company has some skill in assault patrols, guarding, and problem solving. Many of our members are mages, familiar with the arcane and direct applications there of. While it is true we are not particularly dedicated to anyone one task, we are a well rounded force well suited for many roles.

Hoping to hear how we may assist you soon,
*signed*
Councilwoman Ebonezzer
Phoenix Company
Touri

Unread post by Touri »

Inside the Kepp of the Order of the Silver Rose a gathering discussed a plan to free Kheldrivver from the blighted trolls.
Daamien

Unread post by Daamien »

DM Golem wrote:Rumours spread of the trade route through Thundar's Ride being patrolled, although not by Baldur's Gate or some other settlement.

Caravan drivers speak of a body of eight or so dark clad warriors who area seen walking the route - slowly, it must be said - and hunting and killing any bugbears or similar hazards who stray too close.

Although the caravan drivers do not speak of ever seeing the mercenaries actively seeking out battle, they do say these soldiers are contributing to keeping the trade route itself safe.

When hailed, the warriors state they march under the banner of the Ebon Blade, and its generous captain. Although they are quick to say their blades will be red, if they get any trouble, no reports come back of these soldiers acting as bandits or the like.

There is some talk of how disturbed Thundar's Ride has been over the last few years, wtih infighting amongst the humanoids and then the impact of the recent war against the undead. Some caravan drivers wonder if this armed human presence might provoke a reaction from the tribes; others suggest it might keep them firmly down.
Another group of warriors, clad in similar garb, might be spotted marching between the hillocks and alongside the streams of Thundar's Ride. An observant traveller would count their number at half a dozen, including a half-naked berserker with long, raven hair.

This group differs from the other; it marches in formation and at a quicker pace.
They also seem to be combing a wide area around the main trails, and are not afraid to tackle larger groups of the resident humanoids. The slain bugbears are left to rot where they fall, as a grim warning to any who would threaten the safety of the trade routes.

Travellers passing near Soubar may hear the locals speak of the same Ebon Blade patrol swinging Northward into the High Moor. Many columns of smoke are seen that night, with rumors trickling in from local hunters of burnt out camps and heaps of blackened hobgoblin bones piled as high as a man.
DM Dialectic

Unread post by DM Dialectic »

Funds raised and donated in a fair hosted by Manah in the Farmlands of Baldur's Gate today are said to be enough to house and sustenance ten or so families in the Farmlands of the city for a few months at least. The people cared for seem quite grateful.
MopKnight

Unread post by MopKnight »

It has been said that for some time, a fairly heavily battle scarred woman has been roaming the various communities on the fringes of civilisation. She has been doing this for months now and occasionally returns to visit those places she has seen, merely claiming to represent an order called the Everwatch. She wanders from place to place carrying mostly just herself, her armour, enough food to survive from tavern to tavern and generally enough water to allow others to survive as well. She gives her name readily in an exceedingly common accent, carries no title and holds brief triage sessions where she bandages wounds and cures diseases.

Those who encountered her would describe her as having a common demeanor and wearing red bands knitted by a red game piece around her gauntlets. She only stays in each place only long enough to solve a few problems and then moves on, leaving uprooting tree stumps, mystically cured people, harvested crops and is sometimes told by town militia as having taken night watch during the heavy, dark nights.

On occasion she disappears into graveyards and mires known to be haunted. Those who live near them describe their quietness after she leaves as calming. Those few who have seen her in combat against the roaming dead describe her as fighting with a ferocity unbound and with a powerful looking fiery sword, though few amongst the common folk bother to believe such nonsense.
Pommel
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Pommel »

22 Eleint 1352

Darius Holding Company employees and allies patrol the back route between Baldur's Gate and Soubar. First they heading down the Chionthar to keep the banks free of any threats to trade barges. Then they head north, through where Triel once stood, approaching Soubar from the south and slaying any threats to travel on the way. The expedition ends with whiskey in the Winding Way.
Don't be angry, Patroclus, if you learn -
even though you're in Hades - I gave Hector back
to his father for a worthy ransom
But I shall give a proper share to you.

Talas Marsak, Blademaster and Avenger [Hiatus]
Darius Holding Company
Bladestone Foundation

Return to “The 1352 (2016) Campaign”