WARNING: Charlie's Appearance Changer/Avernus Shop Items

Moderator: Moderator

Endelyon

WARNING: Charlie's Appearance Changer/Avernus Shop Items

Unread post by Endelyon »

I'm noticing a lot of people losing their items because of this.

Several of the new armors sold at the "epic shop" have various accessories attached to them which reside on the "Belt" appearance slot of the item. People trying to appearance-change these items with the NEW appearance changer will notice that the belt stays after they pick a new appearance for it. As a result, they try to change it with the old appearance changer, and it eats their item.

*** PLEASE DO NOT USE Charlie's Appearance Changer (the old system) on these epic shop items. It will cause them to vanish from your inventory 100% of the time. ***

These belt items CANNOT be removed from the item through any in-game method, currently, so don't bang your head against the wall trying for some solution, or you will end up frustrated and sans your epic item. The "belts" can only be removed in the toolset or through .bic file modification.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
Maecius
Retired Admin

Re: WARNING: Charlie's Appearance Changer/Avernus Shop Items

Unread post by Maecius »

Just to clarify for those like myself, who aren't quite as tech savvy as the rest of the devs, said "belts" can include quivers and medallions and other decorative pieces of equipment. They're not necessarily going to be actual belts just because they're in the "belt slot" in the Toolset.
Shad

Unread post by Shad »

Please clarify what old appearance changer is and what is new one, cause only two I've seen don't have manufacturing date on them :)
Maecius
Retired Admin

Unread post by Maecius »

Shad wrote:Please clarify what old appearance changer is and what is new one, cause only two I've seen don't have manufacturing date on them :)
Old appearance changer: Charlie's appearance changer. The one you can access whenever, wherever through the use of your lower-left hand options menu.

New appearance changer: The one we just released. You need to buy an appearance kit to utilize it. Changes one piece at a time instead of full suits.
Shad

Unread post by Shad »

Thanks!

I thought it was about one in Maltz's shop and second Options menu, or reverse. Is Maltz's the same as Options in respect of new items - eats them?
Endelyon

Unread post by Endelyon »

Maltz's shop only changes mithril items, so it shouldn't be able to change these new armors except for one.

However, Maltz's appearance changer should not eat them, no, since it works through conversation options a lot like the new one I implemented.
fearknight2003

Unread post by fearknight2003 »

Wait, does it eat ALL items, or just new shop items?
It was a fun year (I think). Bye.
Arn

Unread post by Arn »

So actually, there is sort of a workaround to sort of get rid of the "belt" accessory, at least for the Robe of Eyes.

The "belt" accessory for the Robe of Eyes seems to only show up if you transition into an area while wearing the Robe of Eyes. If you transition in while wearing something else, and then put on the Robe of Eyes after you transition, the "belt" accessory does not show up.

So I just try to wear another set of clothes before each area transition, and then switch back to the Robe of Eyes.

Not perfect, but it is sort of a workaround. Not sure if it applies to the other items, though.
Marathados
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Marathados »

[quote="Maecius"][quote="Shad"]Please clarify what old appearance changer is and what is new one, cause only two I've seen don't have manufacturing date on them :)[/quote]

Old appearance changer: Charlie's appearance changer. The one you can access whenever, wherever through the use of your lower-left hand options menu.

New appearance changer: The one we just released. You need to buy an appearance kit to utilize it. Changes one piece at a time instead of full suits.[/quote]

Just to clarify: Where can these new appearance kits be bought?
Maecius
Retired Admin

Unread post by Maecius »

Fearknight, just the new epic shop items. Most of the rest are built differently.

Marathados, per Endelyon's state of the server message:
Endelyon wrote:Instead, you will find the an item called "Appearance Kit" for sale at the following vendors:

Aello in Baldur's Gate
The Barkeep in the Winding Way Inn
Bentley and his wife, at the Friendly Arm Inn (and the Temple)
The basic equipment vendor in Gloura's Wings.

Over time, I will try to add this to more vendors, but these are the four places where we had consignment shops so it seemed like a good start, at least.
Apex

Unread post by Apex »

There's an Epic Shop?
" When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes ! "
Shad

Unread post by Shad »

One last question. Is it ok to use old app changer with weapons from new epic shop, would they not vanish?
Maecius
Retired Admin

Unread post by Maecius »

Apex wrote:There's an Epic Shop?
There are at least two! Some might even say three depending on how they define "epic."

There's mrieder's shop in the basement of the Bearded Mermaid in Baldur's Gate. I think it has a mirror in the Underdark, but I'm not sure where. If it doesn't, maybe one of the Underdarkers can PM me so I can see about getting you guys hooked up?

The other more recent one is tfunke's shop in Avernus, which can be released from both a surface dungeon and an Underdark dungeon. You'll have to explore a bit to find it!

The shop that's causing the issues this thread is warning against is primarily tfunke's, because some of the accessories on a few of the items will not go away no matter what you do.
Shad wrote:One last question. Is it ok to use old app changer with weapons from new epic shop, would they not vanish?
I expect that it is fine to use the appearance changers on the weapons, yes. Take screenshots of the item in your possession and a screenshot after it's lost if it does disappear, however, just to be safe.
Ithilan

Unread post by Ithilan »

Arn wrote:So actually, there is sort of a workaround to sort of get rid of the "belt" accessory, at least for the Robe of Eyes.

The "belt" accessory for the Robe of Eyes seems to only show up if you transition into an area while wearing the Robe of Eyes. If you transition in while wearing something else, and then put on the Robe of Eyes after you transition, the "belt" accessory does not show up.

So I just try to wear another set of clothes before each area transition, and then switch back to the Robe of Eyes.

Not perfect, but it is sort of a workaround. Not sure if it applies to the other items, though.

It does and its quite frustrating, I can imagine there is one out of a hundred players wanting that belt across their entire chest ;) But the item designer could not have known that of course.

In any case, would it be a massive undertaking to remove the belts and update the shop, so rather than a persistent flood of toolset edited items the staff has to implement on the server, we could reduce it to that 1 out of a 100 wanting said appearance, to have to undertake these measures?

Personaly for me my toolset doesnt work, no matter what ive tried and that means im now stuck with an armor I loathe and cant do anything about :S Minor problem of course, but im far to vain not to let it get to me ;)
Shandril Brightmantle
"Life is but a mystery to revel in, let the stars guide you through the mist."
Lia'Dris Maendellyn
"We remember cities now in ruin and forests murdered, yet still we sing to the stars and hope for renewal."
Apex

Unread post by Apex »

The Bearded Mermaid is in Ulgoth's Beard and no apparent merchant of any kind is in the basement. Perhaps you meant the Blushing Mermaid in the Gate? I'll check there
" When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes ! "

Return to “Archive”