Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Nachti
Retired Staff

PrC Suggestion: Holy Scourge

Unread post by Nachti »

[table]
[th][/th][tr][td]Holy Scourge[/td][td]
Holy Scourge

"As magic is responsible for so many of the world's greatest evils, so too is magic the greatest tool against evil." - Confessor Ruprecht Varsuun, vindicator of the Immaculate Cabal.

The holy scourge is a multitalented soldier in the endless war against evil, an arcane caster who instills within his magic the power to cleanse the world of wickedness and depravity. Although he lacks true divine spellcasting power, he makes up for this shortfall by infusing his evocations with holy power and developing abilities that help him smite evil wherever it appears.

Holy scourges were most likely typical arcane spellcasters before they "saw the light" and took up the righteous mantle of the holy scourge. Whether they've devoted themselves to a particular faith or are just committed to turning back darkness, they're now engaged in the eternal fight against evil in all its forms. They might go where the church directs, or they might be trusted to find your own adventure as long as it serves the cause. In either case, their life is one of great conflict and hardship—but also great accomplishment.

Holy scourge are fanatical believer in the cause, with the power to back up their convictions. They believe that arcane magic is the greatest of weapons, and they intend not to stop until they have gained enough power to scourge the world around clean of wickedness. The largest and primary organization of holy scourges, the Immaculate Cabal of the Church of Heironeous, is said to have invented the techniques of the holy scourge. Various orders now exist, however, devoted to Pelor, St. Cuthbert, and other deities. These orders serve as roving enforcers and soldiers of their church, striving to rid the world of evil.

Requirements:

Alignment: Any good.
Skills: Lore: Religion 4.
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 3rd-level arcane spells.

Class Features:

- Hit Die: d6
- Base Attack Bonus: Low.
- High Saves: Will.
- Weapon Proficiencies: None
- Armor Proficiencies: None.
- Skill Points: 2 + Int modifier.
- Class Skills: Concentration, Craft Alchemy, Craft Trap, Craft Weapon, Diplomacy, Heal, Listen, all Lore skills, Spellcraft.

Class Abilities:

Level 1: Code of conduct, Devoted Arcanist, Dedicated Spellcaster +1
Level 2: Arcane smite 2/day,
Level 3: Righteous Evocation +1
Level 4: Arcane smite 4/day,
Level 5: Dedicated Spellcaster +2, Righteous evocation +3

- Spellcasting: At each level beyond 1st, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a holy scourge, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

- Code of Conduct: You must devote yourself to the destruction of evil, particularly those who use evil magic and innately evil creatures. You must not resort to evil methods to achieve these goals. You might briefly ignore a lesser evil for the sake of defeating a greater one, but otherwise you must make every reasonable effort to obliterate evil wherever you find it. Should you ever violate this code or step outside the boundaries of what is considered acceptable good-aligned behavior, you lose your holy scourge class features.

Devoted Arcanist: An Holy Scourge gains access to spells that do not normally appear on arcane spellcasters' spell lists. She does not automatically know these spells, but can choose them as spells known.

1st Level: Bless
2nd Level: Consecrate
3rd Level: Awaken Sin
4th Level: Exorcism
5th Level: Vigorous Cycle
6th Level: Blessing of the Righteous
7th Level: Word of Faith
8th Level: Sunbeam
9th Level: Greater Visage of the Deity

- Dedicated Spellcaster: At first level, a Holy Scourge gains a +1 bonus to his caster level when casting good spells. At 5th level this increases to +2. A Holy Scourge may not cast evil spells.

- Arcane Smite: At 2nd level, a Holy Scourge can smite evil twice per day. This ability functions like the paladin class feature, except that he can apply the effect only to an arcane spell that requires a melee or ranged attack roll (such as shocking grasp or scorching ray). In addition to the bonus on the spell's attack rolls and damage rolls, this adds the good descriptor to the spell.

At 4th level, he can use this class feature four times per day.

- Righteous Evocation: Evocation spells cast by a 3rd level Holy Scourge are infused with a small amount of good-aligned divine energy. Against evil creatures, his evocation spells deal an extra 1 point of damage per spell level. This extra damage applies to all creatures damaged by the spell. This extra damage consists of pure divine energy and is not subject to being reduced by resistance or immunity.

At 5th level, this extra damage increases to 3 points per spell level.

Ex-Holy Scourges
If the holy scourge violates the code of conduct or step outside the bounds of the class's acceptable alignments, he loses all spells and class features. He may not progress any further in levels as a holy scourge. He retains his abilities and advancement potential if he atones for his violations.
[/td][/tr][/table]
Last edited by Nachti on Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kiran

Re: PrC Suggestion: Holy Scourge

Unread post by Kiran »

I honestly like it.

Seems a good fun way to add a rp element to your cleric if part of a order of good.
Player of:

Damian Pascal, - Run away/dead. - Background - Corruption from Within
Amenthes Serb, Knight - Gone missing/Supposed dead Background
Tamzim Renima, mercenary - Handed over to the fist. Background
Kiran, Golden Wheel - Presumed dead
Althalous Fenwick, Paladin of Mystra. - A memory lost
izzul

Unread post by izzul »

looks awesome!
Azzizuleia Tyrielmrande-[Permadeath PC]
Eilondruil Eldanyar-Corellon Larethian[Battle Historian]
Iz Azul-Red Knight[Active]
Krueger-Trader viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56617
Mystera Electra-Mystra[Goat Girl]

"give to yourself, took from others-Integrity and Justice"
Zanniej
Barn manager

Unread post by Zanniej »

Kiran wrote:I honestly like it.

Seems a good fun way to add a rp element to your cleric if part of a order of good.
I'd like to point out that it's an arcane class ;-)

That said, I think it's a cool class. Looks great. I don't think it'd be overpowered, but I'm not QC for a reason, so don't take my word for it ;-)
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
Barn Manager: We do not have a barn, nor anyone in there to manage... yet here I am!
Server Owner & former Global Admin. Still always around (and still playing), but not as involved.
Keeping a close eye on the Server Finances.
Ariella
Retired Staff

Unread post by Ariella »

Not sure how you are going to do the Devoted Arcanist abilty. But a good caster class would be nice there are far to many evil options.
izzul

Unread post by izzul »

how about Vampiric Feast, this PrC cannot cast evil spell right?
Azzizuleia Tyrielmrande-[Permadeath PC]
Eilondruil Eldanyar-Corellon Larethian[Battle Historian]
Iz Azul-Red Knight[Active]
Krueger-Trader viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56617
Mystera Electra-Mystra[Goat Girl]

"give to yourself, took from others-Integrity and Justice"
Sun Wukong

Unread post by Sun Wukong »

Ariella wrote:Not sure how you are going to do the Devoted Arcanist abilty. But a good caster class would be nice there are far to many evil options.
Those spells would need to have arcane copies made of them, and you need some script that just adds them to the list of spells. I think that would work for wizards, as they can just learn spells from scrolls - but as for sorcerer... I wonder if it is going to cause problems... You know, not being able to pick new spells because of having those spells from the PRC.
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
Valefort
Retired Admin

Unread post by Valefort »

You can add them to the list of arcane spells in the spells.2da and run a check when they're cast, if it's not by a devoted arcanist they'll fail miserably, or maybe even a magical backlash hm !
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
dedude
Retired Staff

Unread post by dedude »

Which is also how you go by adding spells to Spirit Shaman without adding them to Druid ;)
Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow »

:(
TeoDeathDealer

Unread post by TeoDeathDealer »

Do bard spells count as arcane for this prc?
TeoDeathDealer
Teo, What lies beneath is hidden for a reason
Angel, Swabby and cook for the DragonWing
Missy, Knight General of the Order of the Rose
Lea Littlefoot, Knight in training and ranger of the Order
Jerel, The eyes are indeed a window to the soul
Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow »

it could maybe but it dose say up to spells lvl 9
Invoker

Unread post by Invoker »

izzul wrote:how about Vampiric Feast, this PrC cannot cast evil spell right?
Can't cast it. Goes entirely against the code of conduct.
Zanniej wrote:
Kiran wrote:I don't think it'd be overpowered, but I'm not QC for a reason, so don't take my word for it ;-)
Take mine. It's not a balance concern at all, if implemented like that. And it has a lot of reasons to exist, since it does a number of things no other PrC does.
This twisted culture got you feeding from its hand
But you will lose that food if you don't meet all their demands
And loyal is the soldier that gets slaughtered with the lambs
Examining the blueprints got you questioning the plans
metaquad4

Unread post by metaquad4 »

It isn't overpowered (or even that powerful), so no balance concerns imo. And it adds a fair bit of flavor, flavor we don't have atm!

Yes? Yes. Yes.
aka aplethoraof

2010 - 2023 (on permanent? leave)
Playing Arelith/NWN1 now. Still on discord (aplethoraof on discord).

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”