Alternative quest design

Suggestions for Improving Existing Quests, Ideas for Future Quests

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

NegInfinity

Alternative quest design

Unread post by NegInfinity »

Basically, I saw this design elsewhere, and I think it is vastly superior to what bgtscc has:

There's an npc that gives out quests. (Think Norton).
The quests reset daily at 24 hours RL interval.
You can take 3 quests at the time.
Offered quests change based on your levels, and reward can go from 500.. to 1500 xp easily. Higher level stuff gives more xp.

Here's the thing.

The quests are patrols with fluff. Usually they happen in form of
  • Reach area A
  • Kill 10 enemies in area A
  • Kill 5 enemies in area B (connected to A)
  • Kill miniboss creature in area B.
For example, a single patroll quest can make you patrol multiple areas without "reach" and "boss" goal. On other hand another quest can be all "Reach area A", "Reach area B" without combat requirements.

The objectives are tracked independently.

here's why I like it:

1. It encourages or forces player to explore the areas.
2. It make player do activity that brings illusion of life to the setting. For example, people patrol sewers all the time to keep them safe, moving from one area to another..
3. There's a central "hub" npc that hands out the quests ("mercenary guild" or "adventurer guild"), people congregate there.
4. Also, you feel like you have to do them all. You can pick ones you like from the selection.

Here's how it could be on bgtscc:
  • Norton: The port workers keep pestering us about rat warehouse infestation, while don't you clean it up a bit? Ther'es coin for you (kill 15 enemies in port warehous). Level 1+
  • Norton: It turns there all kind of nasty critters in our sewers. Well, one of them crawled out and scared an important noble. And that's where YOU come in (kill 10 enemies in palace district sewers, kill 10 enemies in harbor sewers, kill 10 enemies in in eat district sewers) level 2+
  • Norton: Well, turns out there's something nastier below the sewers! (Kill 5..10 enemis in each area around sewer bowels) (levle 8+?)
  • Thee's a trouble in graveyard, make the dead keep it down? (kill 10 enemis in graveyard) (level 1+)
  • There are NECROMANCERS in graveyard, would you believe it? (10 enemies in graveyard, 10 enemies in caves) (level 3+)
  • Orcs in the wood of sharp teeth wouldn't keep it down. (10 orcs in area around cave, 10 orcs in cave level 1, 10 in level 2, bring head of chieftain) (level 10+)
  • Turns out there's a labyrinth in the forest. We found one of our patrolmen here, in half eaten state (Kill 15 minotaurs, bring back head of Bhazarak two-horn).
  • We want to make roads safer for travellers, patrol northern areas (15 enemis in field of the dea, 15 enemies in thundar's ride, 15 enemies troll claws).
  • We found a weird house in the forest (15 enemis first floor haunted mansion, 15 second floor, bring back head of Kaos).
  • Actually since you're so skilled why don't you help us with this old problem of ours... (15 enemis cloudpeak, 15 enemies cloudpeak approach, bring back head of the great white). (Level 15+)
I think it iis cool.

This kind of system creates a single "message board" npc that handles all the request, allows player to pick the ones they like, and forces people to explore areas while generating foot traffic and performing something useful that has RP purpose (like patrolling areas).

Also, no idiot halflings to listent to, and no crazy convoluted godmodding dialogue (like with the sandwitch quest).
Tsidkenu

Re: Alternative quest design

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

dedude is already working on adding a whole bunch of dynamic quests. If you want to write some, I suggest you ask him to send you his templates so all he has to do is punch your text into however the dynamic quest system works.
NegInfinity

Unread post by NegInfinity »

Tsidkenu wrote:dedude is already working on adding a whole bunch of dynamic quests. If you want to write some, I suggest you ask him to send you his templates so all he has to do is punch your text into however the dynamic quest system works.
Uh, this is very different from "some dynamic quests".

One of the ideas was to make monster patrol quests. Go to area, kill some enmies, go to next. This encourages exploration. There are no quests of this kind on bgtscc right now.

Also, it is not "dynamic". There's a quest board which has available tasks you can pick, and you can only select some of them. With your level new jobs unlock as possible targets. You can't pick them all in one go.

I've played this, it is fun.
Quest force you to explore, encourage rp-related behavior (patrol), don't waste your time with attempts to have elaborate and witty dialogue, and you can pick the ones you like.

On the server where I played it,quests reset daily and not weekly, meaning you really felt like some sort of city guards doing sewer patrols regularly and getting paid for it.
Kaeldre

Unread post by Kaeldre »

I like this quest design you've put forth. Most of the current quests on BG pertain to the same format: Go from point A to point B and back again. I find this pretty repetitive. Adding several objectives breaks this format for a more varied one. I am also a proponent of making quests daily routines, offering some extra speed for those who go through the hassle of creating a character at level one instead of simply using the RCR mechanic to instantly reach epic levels. It would be a change that would benefit newer players more than veterans, which is something I always encourage.
Lilith, The Sorceress
"To be united by hatred is a fragile alliance at best"

Jhael, The Betrayer
"To believe in an ideal is to be willing to betray it"

J'hannis, The Devout
"To embrace apathy is to be marked by death"
Glyptar

Unread post by Glyptar »

I am fairly new to this world (less then a month). I have played several mmos and while I don't think fetch quest or daily grind quest are a good fit for a RP server their are some things they do right. For starters quest npcs should definatly stand out. If it is possible they should only offer quest you are high enough level to complete. They should direct you to areas that you could grind in if thats how you choose to level. Now I have only been around Baldurs Gate area so I dont know about other places quest lines. But something along the lines of forcing all level 1 characters to start at the docks or at least suggesting it as the best option. The first few quest that have you run around the city are great but they should end with sending you out to the farms to catch that rat. Completing them all should award enough xp to hit level 2 and the farmer should suggest you go see the next npc. The next npc should send you to the graveyard open area to kill some undead then to the caves to locate the source but you only find a clue finish it with being sent into one of the cripts to kill a group of low level necromancers. The whole thing should end with the pc around level 4 or 5 and being sent on to the next area. Continue this type if design until around level 10 or so. By that point most players should be familiar enough with the world to figure out what they want to do next on their own. Doing something like this in the underdark also so new players like me dont feel lost with no idea what to do next. Honestly if not for the friendly community of other players who helped me figure out what to do next I would have already left in frustration.
Kaeldre

Unread post by Kaeldre »

I think Glyptar's post highlights something worth considering for future updates. Quest design on the server is great in many regards, but lacks in availability for new players. The fact that our community helps these people is great, but we should not be forcing new players to rely on others.
Lilith, The Sorceress
"To be united by hatred is a fragile alliance at best"

Jhael, The Betrayer
"To believe in an ideal is to be willing to betray it"

J'hannis, The Devout
"To embrace apathy is to be marked by death"

Return to “Quests”