Make XP usefull post level 30.

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Valefort
Retired Admin

Re: Make XP usefull post level 30.

Unread post by Valefort »

Speshul outfit and face made by athorn for 500k exp ! (totally didn't ask him :P)
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
metaquad4

Unread post by metaquad4 »

Hoihe wrote:
metaquad4 wrote:
Hoihe wrote: Risk of favoritism. DMs get accused of favoritism even if there was never any. Imagine what this would cause.
If DMs are going to get accused of favoritism no matter what, they might as well do the job right instead of being fearful of doing the job at all. Not rewarding players for the efforts doesn't seem right, especially when there are risks on the server that the player needs to take (perma-death, reputation damage, etc.). If there is going to be a risk to me, but no reward, why should I bother playing with DMs and taking the risk?

Also, going outside can cause you to get run over.

Also, if people are going to yell favoritism over someone else putting in work and getting a reward for it, then they need to be set straight. Why should petty behavior be pandered to? What incentive is there to put in the work with the DMs at all?

I mean, hell. By this token, we shouldn't even allow "Lord" titles, DM given items, or any sort of rewards at all. Yeah, that'll be nice. In-fact, players shouldn't be given audiences with powerful NPCs, for fear of that ever-present favoritism. And players shouldn't be allowed to request DM events, for fear of favoritism.

Honestly, fear mongering is not a good way to drive policy. Its one of the very worst ways. This should never be a valid argument.

As you said, they are going to get accused even if there is nothing going on at all. So, why not do that job right anyway. Either way, nothing changes, since they get the accusations thrown out.

Application-based classes or anything are a big no go for risk of accusations of favoritism. Even the existing application based classes can cause massive headaches if a player is denied their application or if someone witnesses someone they dislike getting approved.

I've personally been the butt of countless favoritism accusations for Hoihe->Atria. It doesn't matter how much work you put in, whether you try to involve countless players, if a DM does something for you then it's obviously favoritism.

I did DMing for a certain guild. Gave them like 3-4 events over an entire month and I already heard back rumors player side from people who were opposing this guild that they are obvs getting DM favoritism.

Noble titles get countless accusations of favoritism. Successful guild leaders get tons of accusations of favoritism by DMs. This server is at a retarded level of accusing others of favoritism.
My point is that either way people are going to make baseless accusations. You might as well give rewards where rewards are due, if people are going to just blindly throw them out even if you don't.

As long as the necessary paperwork is there (I.E. Screenshots and logs of RP), then real corruption is pretty easy to fight. Rather recently (within the past couple years), we have had DMs expelled from the team for corruption, we know the team is doing what they can to fight it.

Even if the entire team were magically corrupt, it would still be better to give rewards out for RP. Because, if the entire team were corrupt, they'd be giving out rewards regardless, just not to the general populace.

Its better to give rewards, rather to withold them for fear they will be done incorrectly. If we can't trust our staff, then they shouldn't be holding those positions because even if they can't give rewards, they can still do other stuff (give XP, take away XP, etc.). Just let the DMs do their job unimpeded.

So, I return to my original proposal. DMs are the ones who reward for RP and "post 30 progression", as the two are the same on this server. If a DM feels you are worthy of a reward or if your RP with them has been building up to something, you should get it. Weither it is a nice magical item, a couple points in a skill, or whatever. That is part of their job.

It shouldn't be anything too broken (like hide in plain sight, epic dodge, or a +6 adamantine scythe with 1d20 magical damage and 3 vampiric regen), gear should be comparable to what we get now, skill points shouldn't be given out in the 100s, etc.. But, that is all common sense and what is appropriate and what is not should be dictated in DM training and guidelines. IMO, it might help to have DM guidelines and the rules that the DMs themselves follow publicly availible, but either way, that is how it should be. That is post 30 progression for an RP server.
aka aplethoraof

2010 - 2023 (on permanent? leave)
Playing Arelith/NWN1 now. Still on discord (aplethoraof on discord).
artemitavik

Unread post by artemitavik »

And how do you retain those skill points during a RCR?
Derik "Crimson Bulwark" Ranloss: Thugging for GREAT JUSTICE!!! (yes, I know he doesn't wear red)
Headmaster:Bladestone Foundation.
Owner:The Last Anchor

Braithreachas Leomhainn
"My purpose is to shed blood for those who can't, and to bleed for those who shouldn't."
metaquad4

Unread post by metaquad4 »

artemitavik wrote:And how do you retain those skill points during a RCR?
Easy. DMs record rewards that are given. They'd be doing that anyway. You might need to justify an RCR, depending on how hardass the DM team is, but I'm sure one would be prepared to do that anyway.

Heck, that is another benefit. If you were getting these skill points for XP that you got through grinding post 30, then you'd lose them when you RCRed. So, if we do it via DM instead of via XP, you actually keep the post 30 rewards when you RCR. Again, depending on the DM team.

If you did this mechanically though, because your XP gets set back to 20, you wouldn't keep mechanical post 30 rewards.
aka aplethoraof

2010 - 2023 (on permanent? leave)
Playing Arelith/NWN1 now. Still on discord (aplethoraof on discord).
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Unread post by mrm3ntalist »

Valefort wrote:Speshul outfit and face made by athorn for 500k exp ! (totally didn't ask him :P)
:lol:
IS EMOTIONAL KEKW - GIT GUD

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

Spelling mistakes are purposely entered for your entertainment!
Lambe
Custom Content

Unread post by Lambe »

Post 30 XP traded in for access to factional epic quests for reputation points. To be redeemed for special/unique/vanity items/perks/whatever. Many factions around the server who can offer varying rewards to those who have enough experience to work for them.

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”