Any NPC merchant that sells potions of 'Restoration'

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Sun Wukong

Any NPC merchant that sells potions of 'Restoration'

Unread post by Sun Wukong »

Starting to be sick and tired of mobs that spam Energy Drain... So is there a NPC merchant that sells potions of 'Restoration.'
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
Sun Wukong

Re: Any NPC merchant that sells potions of 'Restoration'

Just asking, since scrolls of Restoration require UMD skill... which can fall quite a bit with a single cast of Energy Drain.
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
Sun Wukong

And the same goes with Wands of Restoration...
- Elminster, probably.
Vogar Eol
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Vogar Eol »

I've always wondered why these and potions of Remove Curse aren't available at various temples.
Vogar Eol - Dwarf, "I likes pixie wine. It just be hard catching enough pixies to squeeze."

Rashal - Lady's Man, "What do you call a male elf? Pathetic, as it were."
Sun Wukong

Some priests do offer 'Restoration' for example the priest in Soubar. But it doesn't do you much good if you need to go through... let me see... Nine or so areas to purchase that service.
Vogar Eol wrote:I've always wondered why these and potions of Remove Curse aren't available at various temples.
Because there were players who kept whining that no one needed their spell caster because people could just buy potions of Restoration and healing kits, and thus these players shed their crocodile tears on how they could not "role-play" a cleric/druid what not. The divine spell books come with Deathward and it is not going to dispelled, and even in the odd chance it is, it can be recast as quickened spell.

Oh, and those players who complained about not being able to 'role-play' their divine spellcasting characters, well, they have never actually been around. Even if they are online, they just sit at some campfire with 'AFK' glowing over their heads. Thus after twelve area transitions you run into a guy who offers no service, not to mention that a single cast of Energy Drain will drain 2d4 levels, and it can crit. Thus if you get drained by 7 levels, you are reduced to a state where you only land hits by rolling a 20, so it makes more sense to just log out and wait for a server reset. (And sadly the server never crashes when it ought to.)

Lesser Restoration = Sold in stores, fixes ability drain.
Restoration = Fixes ability and level drain.
Greater Restoration = Fixes ability and level drain while providing extra healing.
- Elminster, probably.
Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 »

It's like a curse :lol:
Sun Wukong

I just run around in the underdark checking each merchant...

... And you cannot even buy the scrolls of restoration. You can on the surface. Thus... it is a yay for more OOC muling?

Anyhow, based on how UMD tends to work on NWN2's hardcore difficulty, those scrolls still require minimum of 19 UMD to use, and then you need to beat the DC of 29 to cast it. If Energy Drain brings your UMD skill down to something like 18, you are just out of luck with scrolls.

And I am just thinking, surely the Red Wizards or some such are talented enough to brew potions of 'RESTORATION' when they have potions of 'GREATER HEROISM' and 'HEAL' in their stock. You know, why not sell something that is actually worth buying?

Theodore01 wrote:It's like a curse :lol:
The curse of bad game design?
- Elminster, probably.
Sun Wukong

Oh... And from level 1 to 25... My character has found a total of 3 potions of Restoration, and 1 potion of Greater Restoration. They all went poof just trying to explore the Ruins of Oghrann, where every single necromancer spawned casts at least one Energy Drain.

Edit: On the surface you got the vampires of the Haunted House and in the forest outside.

People have asked for a gold sink, here is one that no one would complain about.
- Elminster, probably.
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

So you're saying if someone were to make a master alchemist cleric gold might actually buy their print potions?

Of course I made mine a wizard... bah!
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
Vogar Eol
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Vogar Eol »

As much as I like the idea of using player-made potions... It wouldn't hurt to have Expensive versions available for much more than they're worth. For example, I buy a metric ton of Invisibility and Heroism potions on Auction.... mostly because they beat the NPC prices. Setting those NPC prices actually creates the service of undercutting them. It's not much different than buying +3 armor on Auction from a player because you know it's cheap than the NPC vendor sells it.
Vogar Eol - Dwarf, "I likes pixie wine. It just be hard catching enough pixies to squeeze."

Rashal - Lady's Man, "What do you call a male elf? Pathetic, as it were."
Sun Wukong

chad878262 wrote:So you're saying if someone were to make a master alchemist cleric gold might actually buy their print potions?

Buy? If you can brew with scrolls, I would bring you the scrolls.

Edit: Now I got a Master Alchemist of my own... I feel bit bad for my Bard getting hit by axe... But yeah... Got my Elixirs of Restoration... :twisted: Oh Chad, all the gold you could have gotten from me... Is now going from one character of mine to another. Got to love in game consingment store! :lol:
- Elminster, probably.
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

Sun Wukong wrote:
chad878262 wrote:So you're saying if someone were to make a master alchemist cleric gold might actually buy their print potions?

Edit: Now I got a Master Alchemist of my own... I feel bit bad for my Bard getting hit by axe... But yeah... Got my Elixirs of Restoration... :twisted: Oh Chad, all the gold you could have gotten from me... Is now going from one character of mine to another. Got to love in game consingment store! :lol:
Put stacks of 10 potions of deathward/restoration up at the lowest CL and I bet they sell pretty quick too (except like 90% of PCs have UMD for some reason...)
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
Calodan

Unread post by Calodan »

chad878262 wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:

Put stacks of 10 potions of deathward/restoration up at the lowest CL and I bet they sell pretty quick too (except like 90% of PCs have UMD for some reason...)
Deathward is far more effective than the reaction of Restoration...........Proactive beats reactive every time! :dance:
Kory Sentinel
"We should take the army head on!"

"... it sounds like a terrible idea, but look at that smile."
"And he just sounds so confident ... he is a favored soul."
"Even if we don't survive, he will, and isn't that what matters?" -Red Lancer
Sun Wukong

Calodan wrote:Deathward is far more effective than the reaction of Restoration...........Proactive beats reactive every time! :dance:
That is actually build dependant.
- Elminster, probably.
Calodan

Unread post by Calodan »

Sun Wukong wrote:
Calodan wrote:Deathward is far more effective than the reaction of Restoration...........Proactive beats reactive every time! :dance:
That is actually build dependant.
No actually it is not! Elixirs once again prove that all you need is a potion and you are good! UMD not needed for Potion consumption! :hand:
Kory Sentinel
"We should take the army head on!"

"... it sounds like a terrible idea, but look at that smile."
"And he just sounds so confident ... he is a favored soul."
"Even if we don't survive, he will, and isn't that what matters?" -Red Lancer

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”