World Cup 2028

Off-Topic Community Conversations and Discussions

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Nyeleni
Recognized Donor

Re: World Cup 2028

Unread post by Nyeleni »

@Ithilan: I told you about De Gea. He is by far not that safe as a goalie :D.
Truman Capote, Breakfast At Tiffany's
"... - it's better to look at the sky than live there. Such an empty place; so vague. Just a country where the thunder goes and things disappear."
Ithilan

Unread post by Ithilan »

All I can say is he is spectacular for United :P by far our best player and makes saves on a weekly basis that I see other goalkeepers do with years in between. Maybe he considers this vacation :D lol.. I concede that was not his best game. But there is also a difference between your average West Brommich attacker and Christiano Ronaldo :P
Shandril Brightmantle
"Life is but a mystery to revel in, let the stars guide you through the mist."
Lia'Dris Maendellyn
"We remember cities now in ruin and forests murdered, yet still we sing to the stars and hope for renewal."
Ithilan

Unread post by Ithilan »

Awful game against Perú :? so passive and stationary. Feel like we got lucky with a 1-0, could easily have conceded a goal or two in fact with how much space we gave them going forward. Eriksen did next to nothing his game, apart from the assist to Yussef Poulsen.. hope this is not an indication of our approach to the remaining games, very important win though.

France game was not a lot more entertaining though, credit to Australia for matching them up nicely and Jedinak does what Jedinak does. Two correct video decisions though and a smooth usage of it that will definitely help move that part of the sport forward, this is how it should be used, not that FA cup malarkey :P

Best match today was Argentina against Iceland though, and credit to our nordic brothers for getting so much out of so little. They played their chances and tbh. should have scored another goal in the first half. Messi missing that penalty I did not see coming and even if the man is a wizard, magician and perhaps the most naturally gifted footballer of his generation, I cant help but feel its a bit damaging for Argentina though. With players like Arguero standing in his shadow and not being sought nearly as much in the final third, its a shame really because their squad is so much larger than Messi and has so much quality going forward.
Shandril Brightmantle
Lia'Dris Maendellyn
"We remember cities now in ruin and forests murdered, yet still we sing to the stars and hope for renewal."
Progressive-Psy

Unread post by Progressive-Psy »

Last 30mins I had a hard time watching the match LOL but 3 points is 3 points!
Fingal Darius.
Retired to Waterdeep with his wife - Might visit.

GMT +2
Ithilan

Unread post by Ithilan »

Yeah I was at the edge of my seat too :P and indeed, very important points. Shame about the rain, but the atmosphere in Telia Parken was insane regardless.
Shandril Brightmantle
Lia'Dris Maendellyn
Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow »

well D&D was it from danmark they play like they allways play slow
Nyeleni
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Nyeleni »

Denmark was a disappointment. Peru did more to merit the victory. But they had bad luck and were a bit incapable in front of the goal.
"... - it's better to look at the sky than live there. Such an empty place; so vague. Just a country where the thunder goes and things disappear."
Hammer_Song

Unread post by Hammer_Song »

From an Australian pov (and someone who typically watches Rugby League) I thought the amount of diving from French players was a joke. Not a massive football fan, but is this how it always is? Surely if a side is good enough, they will win without diving? French team worth $1 billion ... doubt it.

(goes off to eat his sour grapes)
Relnor Ironfaar - Silver Defender of Clan Ironfaar
Background - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=55066
Bramdur Ironfaar - War Chanter of Kraak Helzak
Lambe
Custom Content

Unread post by Lambe »

Hammer_Song wrote:From an Australian pov (and someone who typically watches Rugby League) I thought the amount of diving from French players was a joke. Not a massive football fan, but is this how it always is? Surely if a side is good enough, they will win without diving? French team worth $1 billion ... doubt it.

*runs and hides, diving for effect*

Ithilan

Unread post by Ithilan »

Well technical players vs. less technical usually has that effect. You cant get the ball from the guy by fair means, so you trip him. He cant make his ten dribbles and get past you, so he jumps at the illegal contact made and voila.. diving is perceived :P

Ozzy man narrates some of the worst dives in football history with that video, but in terms of the france and australlia game, its to be expected really. Or the rugby nation would be world cup winners by now ;)

I dont like diving and think the match officials and football associations should do much more to punish it. But the physical side of the game has its limits too, we cant have 22 Vinnie Jones on the pitch with intend to murder each other.

Also tsk tsk Spain, that was kinda apathetic display against Iran, they deserved a draw at least or even the victory. Its a bit sad to see how controlled and passive many of the favorite teams are at this world cup, no one wants to commit to taking too many risks and its a bit boring to be honest. Hope for more entertainment in the coming rounds.
Shandril Brightmantle
Lia'Dris Maendellyn
Nyeleni
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Nyeleni »

Oh come on it's always easy to critisize a team playing against a bus. But yes, it wasn't that good what Spain showed. Still better than Iran though. Even if they had some occasions in the second half. Nice touch of tunneling Piqué though, enjoyed that one a lot.

Otoh I see some teams that don't merit the points they have. Like Uruguay. Clearly they were worse than their opponents. But that's football.

No favourite so far... Russia just played weak teams. And the next opponent doesn't seem to be much better either.
Ithilan

Unread post by Ithilan »

It is yes and as a United fan I loathe the bus parking more than anything these days :P (courtesy of Mourinho). But I still expected a bit more creativity from spain, Isco played a good match though but as Slavan Billic said in the post game studio I watched, they were playing a bit like they were up 3-0 when they werent. A bit more determination and drive, quality in the final third and id have been happy I guess.

But Denmark and Australia is bound to be the most boring affair so far this World Cup. Either it will be a spectacular and open match, or far too tactical and defensive.

I cant really say I see a favorite either, I would have thought Spain but im not really convinced. Too early to tell though.
Shandril Brightmantle
Lia'Dris Maendellyn
Nyeleni
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Nyeleni »

Hammer_Song wrote:From an Australian pov (and someone who typically watches Rugby League) I thought the amount of diving from French players was a joke. Not a massive football fan, but is this how it always is? Surely if a side is good enough, they will win without diving? French team worth $1 billion ... doubt it.

France is really very bad in this circumstance. Especially Mbappé. A disgrace for this sport.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Can Croatia stop the Messi-Machine?!?!

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Bad Omens

Unread post by Bad Omens »

Nyeleni wrote:

France is really very bad in this circumstance. Especially Mbappé. A disgrace for this sport.
France has, since going back to Thierry Henry, been notorious for playing dirty little tricks *coughs* H-A-N-D-B-A-L-L-S! Zidane was a beacon for all of soccer, and especially the French. They have not been the same without him, even during their Euro run.

Return to “Community”