Best and Wost PVP Encounter

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Tekill
Recognized Donor

Best and Wost PVP Encounter

Unread post by Tekill »

Lately I have seen a the odd question/issue/complaints regarding paticular pvp encounters. In these posts it is clearly frowned upon to talk about the specific names and dates of the incidents - and that makes sense. It could cause unecessary drama to sensitive person or situation.

But personally I find the discussion on the specific situations very interesting and informative - and also highly entertaining.

So I thought it could be fun if we all gave vague examples of one of our best PVP momments and one of our worst.

I will go first. But let make one rule, it has to be from this server.

Best: The time a drow was bullying me (in character). A true evil drow, the "how dare you look me in the eyes" sort of drow. I thought I was toast, but my PC stood up for himself anyways and gave her some lip. She immediatly toggled me hostile and started to buff. I thought to myself, heck I am probably going to die anyways why not take a long shot. So I tried Baleful Polymorph- and it worked!!
I turned the drow into a weasel...or similar rodent. The weasel kept attacking me. I was laughing so hard I didnt attack but let her chase me around in circles....eventually though when she wouldnt stop I knocked her out.
It felt soooo good to get that spell off in pvp!

Worst: It really was not that bad but I have been lucky with pvp encounters on this server. Anyways, my paladin had just lopped the head off of the latest orc chieften and was heading back to BG to finish the quest when a halfling appeared out of the shadows. I was all like, hey there mr. halfling is there anything I can do for you?
He was like, nope just waiting for some friends.
Well his friends happen to be two necromancers that had used the hafling to distract and stall me while they circled behind from the other side with all thier undead minion in tow. It was a trap!
I new pretty much from the start how it was going to end. But as a pally I thought I would give them fair warning to destroy thier summons and surrender to me. They did not. I really cant remember the details regarding who hostiled who first but I think I actually tried to get the first blow in. I began chopping at one of them. I actually got a hit or two in, before they set the undead after me. The hin started sneak attacks from the other side and the other necromancer cast some sort of death spell on me which wrapped things up pretty quick.
I was not fugued which was cool of them. And they sent me a tell to make sure I wasnt upset - I told them it was fun.
The only thing that bothered me was that it seemed pretty set up. In the scry tool I had "Merciful Sword of Tyr" in my description. I think they were just paladin hunting, found a juicy one in the orc caves, b-lined it there, and then zerged me.
But whatever- it got the blood pumping, and was kind of funny.
Malodia - Bae'qeshel - The Dark Minstrel - https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=76945

Gilthisanthilas - Pryat of Helm - Everwatch Knight

Skagrot Skullsplitter - Mountain Orc Warrior - The Last Skullsplitter https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=79740
The Whistler

Re: Best and Wost PVP Encounter

Unread post by The Whistler »

Best: those I've won
Worst: those I've lost
Schrödinger's Cyricism: NPCs simultaneously know everything and nothing about Cyric until observed by the Cyricist. Then they default to the state that disadvantages the Cyricist the most.
Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow »

I once have one what i can remember in a long time Worst there was 2 and i didt see the 2 one Best: I won
Aspect of Sorrow

Unread post by Aspect of Sorrow »

5v1'ing my teammates.
Akroma666

Unread post by Akroma666 »

Best: Any and all even; the losses, the cheaters, the people who out-level you by a landslide.
Worst: People who abuse the new RP out system.
Storm - The Blade Flurry
Druegar Grizzleclaw - The Mountain Ruin Tsar
Akroma Thuul - The Creepy Enchanter
Liliana Duskblade - The B*tch of Bane
Jamie Dawnbringer - The Light in the Darkness
Ithilan

Unread post by Ithilan »

Worst: When people hide and play mister nice guy for 29 levels then turn in to a murderous PvP monger at 30 and offer people no way out. Also people that go to extremes after winning PvP and keep you there for half an hour to RP mutilations and trophy collection that is borderline rule breaking.

Best: When my Selunite encountered some Malarites in the wild, vastly under leveled but still able to stand her ground for a few minutes. The PvP itself was not very entertaining but the RP was stellar and I enjoyed every moment of it.

Honorable mention: One matron mother vs. 5 surfacers outside the old Nashkel. A good day for Lloth ;)
Shandril Brightmantle
"Life is but a mystery to revel in, let the stars guide you through the mist."
Lia'Dris Maendellyn
"We remember cities now in ruin and forests murdered, yet still we sing to the stars and hope for renewal."
AlwaysSummer Day
Recognized Donor

Unread post by AlwaysSummer Day »

Best: Maxwell the Halfdwarven cast a confusion spell during Kraak Helzak training. He defeated like half a dozen dwarves in one spell. Only Grimm survived and defeated Max.

Worst: I transitioned from FAI to lions way and as I loaded in a certain guild (5 level 30 surface drow players fully buffed with summons) began attacking me without any RP whatsoever. Obviously I died although it took a minute for the simultaneously vampiric feasts, SoV's, and assorted lagtacular attacks to realize Venture Dungeondelver has stupid high hp.
Roland; svirfneblin fist of the forest and eco terrorist.
Heinrich Von Rittermark; Everwatch Knights of Helm
Frederick Von Rittermark; Paladin of Azuth/Mystra
Erik Von Rittermark; Unknown
aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 »

best: the hyper-exciting chance encounter with an obvious foe. no rp needed. just bumping in to each other and going at it. so immersive.

worst: abusing the RP out (ignore out) and acting like an A-hole in OOC when i dont know if you saw me. if you dont want to fight. be reasonable. i will and we both can leave happy. not mad.
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley
Valefort
Retired Admin

Unread post by Valefort »

Best : being surprised and surrounded by a psycho Lolthite drow, an ominous wizard and another drow cleric in the wilds in the underdark (back when going there was not trivial) while questioning another drow, a narrow escape !

Worst : the ones where the post-fight OOC behavior escalated to the poor DMs who were online..
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Deathgrowl »

aaron22 wrote:no rp needed. (...) so immersive.
Does not compute.
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Obahzk Elf-Skinner, Blackguard of Gruumsh and orcish war drummer

Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

Deathgrowl wrote:
aaron22 wrote:no rp needed. (...) so immersive.
Does not compute.
I think he means that his Orc was an obvious enemy to the elf (or whatever) he ran in to, but certainly could be mistaken.

Best: Turn-based RP-PvP with Grymhild during a chance/random encounter with her character, mine and one other player. Going turn based may take a lot longer, but such a PnP style feel and totally worth it if you are an old school D&D player that likes such things (Like me!) Was so cool to be able to go with grappling, using songs, having spells cast and the like and the three of us had a grand time... for me it was extended when a certain drow took my Bard prisoner and had to spend a bit of time down in the Underdark. She was a good sport and good RP'er, let me go in the end, but not without requiring a lot of promises/begging from my PC to give her a reason to let him go.

Worst: An event in the very early stages of HoV that wasn't handled all that well on all sides.

Personally I find turn-based combat to be quite fun both for PvP as well as in DM events. Unfortunately the game requires such activities to take about as long (sometimes longer) as a PnP encounter so it's rare that players/DMs have the time to invest in such activities.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 »

chad878262 wrote:I think he means that his Orc was an obvious enemy to the elf (or whatever) he ran in to, but certainly could be mistaken.
yep. we already know where we stand. we are foes. we fight and respect each other all the more because it is clear we both "get it". i have had a few encounters like this. these players stand out to me to be the quality sportsmen i had thought. trusting of each other.

nothing against the RP build up conflicts and quiet dealings behind the curtain conflicts, but these to me are just less fun than a spontaneous run in with a known enemy. each one has a place. for me, that one is the most exciting. most fun.. best
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley
KOPOJIbPAKOB
Retired Staff

Unread post by KOPOJIbPAKOB »

In general, the best recipe of a good PvP is when people are taking their time and don't rush, paying as much attention to the RP as possible and clearly showing their intents.

A bad PvP tends to include rush, powergaming (such as toggle hostile right before the attack, warding oneself completely before even starting the talk etc) and pre/post pvp OOC whining and PvP rule abuse.

Shortly speaking, the worst memories related to PvPs for me were two times when my character was slain during DM Events without proper RP but with toggle hostile abuse which forced me leave the said events with a sour taste in my mouth. But there were also many good ones! (one of them even happened yesterday)
(\/);,;(\/)

Discord: Nastya Raynor#3136

Pink is me speaking on behalf of the Media Team, everything else is just my player opinion.
ZestyDragon
Retired Staff

Unread post by ZestyDragon »

Best: A bunch of orcs surrounding my unarmed elf paladin (dressed for party). The surprising power of epic smite fists, and well natured response to it.

Worst: A mage attacked my monk without any RP or RP Out. Then when knocked out complained about how unbalanced it was and tried to get a DM to retcon it.
c2k

Unread post by c2k »

The Whistler wrote:Best: those I've won
Worst: those I've lost

Probably why PvP will never leave the state it is in on this server, because this mentality trends server-wide. Its not something that can be fixed, but something that needs to be accepted.

Return to “General Discussion”