Expanding BGTSCC

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Ruffbassn

Expanding BGTSCC

Unread post by Ruffbassn »

Has there ever been any talk (serious talk with development team designers programmers ect) About expanding our amazing server ? Adding in the lands further north (neverwinter, spine of the world dalelands ect) Over on and sometimes off playing for several years I have always wondered if this was ever or is a thought.. I have used the toolset many times building little regions and it is a serious art in itself let alone the coding.. With help from the vault and other dedicated people it was quite quick in some instances.. I don't know about everyone else's thoughts on any of this.. For me a bigger epic variety would be so amazing and I for one would support in any way I could.. Wonder other peoples thoughts.. Is this even possible? Would size be too much?? Would a second server be needed? More help? I am excited to see what everyone else thinks. I for one seriously can not seem to play any other mmo there is.. They do not compare to DND ruleset.. that's the fact.. the diversity. Players. Rp.. its a beautiful thing.. Seeing as there will most likely never be a real nwn3 with toolset included ect ect. This is what we have.. Can we make it better??
P.S. I think bgtscc is absolutely beautiful and thank everyone so much for what they have done.
Tsidkenu

Re: Expanding BGTSCC

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

They (the devs) can't, unless the server is split into several mirror servers. NWN2 has memory issues with large modules that have a lot of 'outdoor' areas (apparently 'interiors', including caves of the Underdark, are far less resource intensive).

We're pretty much as big as we can be without commencing a server split, and unfortunately our current player population does not justify such a move.

If we recruited more players somehow, however...
Ruffbassn

Unread post by Ruffbassn »

See that's what I am thinking.. Honestly I Don't know if that would make most sense with upper and under dark one server. or just a latitude line..? I don't but how much per month does a server cost?? Monthly or yearly? WHo pays??!? Honestly im interested completely.. for it could be something amazing.. and bringing more players?? umm ya in theory? Bugger and better bgtscc 2.0? Always growing and striving to be better.? Perhaps its just a dream, but none of you can say you wouldn't want to walk into neverwinter.. just once..Or see the dalelands… I would donate for certain and Help with anything area design. npc quests ect.. Are some many other people opposed?? And why? ((besides the fact that takes too much memory as stated that I understand)) I takes literally 20 secs to log out and log back in.. would be the same to switch a server... In theory...
Maecius
Retired Admin

Unread post by Maecius »

We're considering a server split, but there are a few things we need to get in order before we take that step.

Our first move on this front might be to create a separate server just for DM maps, where we can run events in exotic locales, including some of the places you mentioned. Right now there are DM maps on the server, but we had to cut quite a few of them out as a result of reaching the limits of our memory. Having dozens of maps available to the DMs on a second server instance might be a good way to encourage broader and more varied campaigns.

An eventual goal might be to have two or three server instances, where you seamlessly cross from one server to the next without even realizing it just by transitioning maps. Several other PWs have something like this, and we may have to reach out to them to see how they overcame some of the hurdles (sending Tells across servers, avoiding exploits, etc.) if this becomes something we seriously want to try out.

Either setting up a DM event server or an expanded server effectively doubles the workload of updating and maintaining the server, however. So it's something we have to seriously consider before we take it on.

On the subject of how much the server costs, we're pretty transparent with our finances, which you can see here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52423

It costs us $112.32 per month if you count the server hosting fee, the yearly forum fee, and the Windows licensing fee. The players pay for the server through donations. When donations fail to cover it, usually I pay for it (although Endelyon's also paid for fees in the past).

Right now we're doing fine on finances. We're paid up until November 2018, with enough money in the bank to get us into 2019.

Our player population is suffering a little bit from some summertime blues, regular vacation season absences, boredom and stagnation among a few long-timers (we're discussing the introduction of some new content staff-side), and a few (to me) mysterious "BG:TSCC is broken/a mess/I'm not playing here anymore" player exoduses that I'm trying to unravel and then correct where possible. But once player concerns settle, and a few things have been shaped up staff side, we can probably more seriously look at the possibility of expansion.

I'm very happy that you're enjoying the server, though, and that you want to see it expand its borders and its content. :)
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Expanding BGTSCC does not have to equate to "more Areas," as I see it.

Expanding BGTSCC can be more story building, more storyline support, actual changes to the existing Areas, actual changes TO existing Areas.

One can get a look at the entire Server in about one months play, and once accomplished, you realize how static it is, though quite vast, if you consider it in "real" terms, not just through easy transitioning and the ability to Teleport.

It may be a tendency to look for "new" Areas afar, because as we experience the Server now, the Orcs never die, the gnolls never quit, the goblins never eat those Halflings, and etc etc.

But one only has to imagine what it would be like if current Areas "cycled," and there really was the possibility to make storylines cause real changes to the Sword Coast.

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Maecius
Retired Admin

Unread post by Maecius »

Rotating dungeons and cyclical map changes are also on the agenda. :) And we've, quite fortunately, just recruited several new builders to help in these areas if we can give them our collective support and encouragement.

So you're right, Steve, it definitely goes beyond just "new maps!" And a more changeable world, that lives and breathes more naturally, with adjustments to maps and spawns and so on (to reflect player character actions, to reflect changing seasons, to reflect adjustments in monster demographics and DM plots), is definitely something we want to see more of.
Valefort
Retired Admin

Unread post by Valefort »

Personally I don't think we should expand the server more geographically speaking (reaching into Amn, moving more to the north and so on.

Instead we should fill the insides ! Sharp teeth wood is one poor map even though it's immense, we travel through the server in a few transitions .. the western heartlands is more than enough if we actually fill it. Also having plenty of maps at our disposal would indeed allow consequences and map rotation, monsters being beat for good and such things.
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

Valefort wrote:Personally I don't think we should expand the server more geographically speaking (reaching into Amn, moving more to the north and so on.

Instead we should fill the insides ! Sharp teeth wood is one poor map even though it's immense, we travel through the server in a few transitions .. the western heartlands is more than enough if we actually fill it. Also having plenty of maps at our disposal would indeed allow consequences and map rotation, monsters being beat for good and such things.
I agree 100%, vive le Valefort!

We have a lot of potential interior transition points that are just waiting for some builder to create a dungeon! The number of area's to adventure in epics is sorely lacking and D&D is supposed to be about adventurers! Interior maps do not take nearly the space that exterior maps do! That's a lot of exclamation points!

Seriously though, more/new interesting area's to explore/adventure/loot would be more fun to me than having another city where you generally only see NPC's. Adding Amn also adds the potential for players to want to create brand new lore based guilds (Cowled Wizards/Shadow Thieves/another branch of Radiant Heart etc.). Such guilds could cause some pretty difficult to manage IC/OOC issues such as Radiant Heart in Amn trying to 'command' the Auxiliary in Baldur's Gate or Shadow Thieves wanting to infiltrate/take over BG underworld.

Meanwhile, new dungeons gives us new places to explore and, if built/balanced properly new reasons to form up in groups!
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

chad878262 wrote:
Valefort wrote:Personally I don't think we should expand the server more geographically speaking (reaching into Amn, moving more to the north and so on.

I agree 100%, vive le Valefort!

We have a lot of potential interior transition points that are just waiting for some builder to create a dungeon! The number of area's to adventure in epics is sorely lacking and D&D is supposed to be about adventurers! Interior maps do not take nearly the space that exterior maps do! That's a lot of exclamation points!

Seriously though, more/new interesting area's to explore/adventure/loot would be more fun to me than having another city where you generally only see NPC's. Adding Amn also adds the potential for players to want to create brand new lore based guilds (Cowled Wizards/Shadow Thieves/another branch of Radiant Heart etc.). Such guilds could cause some pretty difficult to manage IC/OOC issues such as Radiant Heart in Amn trying to 'command' the Auxiliary in Baldur's Gate or Shadow Thieves wanting to infiltrate/take over BG underworld.

Meanwhile, new dungeons gives us new places to explore and, if built/balanced properly new reasons to form up in groups!

More epic dungeons, balanced around various party compositions/play styles (maybe not as extreme as Ulcaster's but similar vein) would be great!
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
Ithilan

Unread post by Ithilan »

Id rather see the current missing locations added to the server,than an expanding in any other geographical location. Key locations like Elturel, Berdusk, Iriaebor and so on. Fort Morninglord, Citadel of Strategic Militancy, Scornubel, Trollbark Forest, Warlocks's Crypt and so on.. There is a lot missing at the moment, which is completely understandable, but I think that should be made a priority over adding say, the Storm Horns and Cormyr, or Amn, Daggerford, Waterdeep or what not.

Elturel in particular would be a high priority in my book.

Peace
Shandril Brightmantle
"Life is but a mystery to revel in, let the stars guide you through the mist."
Lia'Dris Maendellyn
"We remember cities now in ruin and forests murdered, yet still we sing to the stars and hope for renewal."
matelener
Custom Content

Unread post by matelener »

More dungeons pls. There's a lot of room for them on existing maps, for example:

Lyran's Hold in Forest of Wyrms.
Bunch of caves and a ruin entrance in Reaching Woods.
Even the xvart village has a cave ready to be filled with grindable little blue xp piñatas.
aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 »

I personally, would like to see the current map split and open room for zones to be made in duplicate to be crafted to show effects of DM events. such as was soubar. the RP that was generated still continues from the little change.

soubar was changed a little bit to reflect the destruction by trolls. but wouldnt it be more fun if all of a sudden the entire map was pretty much burned rubble and dead bodies to really reflect such an event.

obviously this would have to be done with some discretion as with anything. too much of a good thing can be worse that nothing.

this would mean to me, like you (admin) would treat (x) amount of TB space as the max. say 70% is the max and the other 30% is this work space for the devs to use to liven up our play space however that is deemed for the time..
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

matelener wrote:More dungeons pls. There's a lot of room for them on existing maps, for example:

Lyran's Hold in Forest of Wyrms.
Bunch of caves and a ruin entrance in Reaching Woods.
Even the xvart village has a cave ready to be filled with grindable little blue xp piñatas.
The Ziggurat in the Deep Highmoor. So much potential, but you basically get one room with three chest. Would be amazing if this was made in to a true high CR dungeon going multiple levels down. The Salamander Prince could be beefed up to CR30 and placed at the very bottom or a new boss could be created, with different variety of enemies as you descend.

the Deep Highmoor is dominated by this huge Ziggurat, there is only one entrance to the area and it doesn't lead anywhere else so it's kind of out of the way. This would be a prime spot to add a dungeon starting at CR~25 and going higher as you get lower in the structure.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
Endelyon

Unread post by Endelyon »

Ilithan wrote:Citadel of Strategic Militancy
Sadly this one doesn't exist until after the Time of Troubles, I think it would also be cool to have it out in the farmlands. On the topic of Elturel we did request a builder to make it, and they agreed, so it was going to be implemented in some form. Unfortunately they retired before finishing the project. Hopefully we can find another builder to make a new version for us. I could try to slap "something" together myself but it wouldn't be pretty. :p
V'rass

Unread post by V'rass »

Cham is already working on splitting the server into 3 or 4 separate ones so if you want this to happen i would give him all the support you can. Once he does do it will need a ton of new area builders to create all the new zones so builders will have plenty of work. We definitely should add more areas... i want to visit Athkatla and Amn at some point. The server is way to small compared to others and needs to grow. At the very least add a few more areas between each of the towns so travel takes longer and the world feels a little bigger.
"To understand magic one must first understand magic."

Agathion Benedictus: Holy Priest. Retired for now.
Tiax Rules-All: Gnomish madman. Retired permanently.
Exordius Vrass: Cleric/Mage. Currently active.

Return to “General Discussion”