Profanity and swearing in RP

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Arcane

Profanity and swearing in RP

Unread post by Arcane »

Last edited by Arcane on Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Re: Profanity and swearing in RP

Unread post by Steve »

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

Thanks Steve, you beat me only cuz im limited to smartphone right now :P

This server is PG13. And yes, children do play here. Dropping the F bomb or other modern profanities is not only unacceptable, it is unnecessary. There's a whole thread of IC swearing there folks. Please use them!
Arcane

Unread post by Arcane »

Last edited by Arcane on Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM Invictus

Unread post by DM Invictus »

My own personal opinion is that while its not exactly... fitting of the setting nor is it really necessary unless it becomes a huge problem for the most part i would be willing to let it slide with a simple reminder if one or two words get out.

Just remember it is a PG 13 server.
"If a dragon falls in the forest and nobody gets to hear about it, does it make a thud?"

Please be aware of the rules!
When in doubt, ask your local DM!
Arcane

Unread post by Arcane »

Last edited by Arcane on Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Svabodnik

Unread post by Svabodnik »

Of course, with a bit of creativity, you can RP a vulgar-mouthed character without ever using a more modern swear word to begin with, by coming up with more creative alternatives (like calling something a glob of phlegm rather than a piece of sh...).

I know the Witcher series have regularly used 'plow' as an alternative to the four-letter F-word (with all the variations to boot: plow, plowing, plowed, etc.). I myself have RPed a couple characters that have used 'pike' in the same respect (telling someone to "get piked", for example).

All of it gets the initial point across, sounds no less rude, and in my opinion, quite a bit more fun.

EDIT: As another example of this being done, which just came to mind, was from the Firefly TV series, where they used 'rutting', like in one of my most favorite lines of all time: "You know what the chain of command is? It’s the chain I go get and beat you with ’til you understand who’s in ruttin’ command here."
"...I know that kind of man / It's hard to hold the hand of anyone / Who is reaching for the sky just to surrender..." – Leonard Cohen, The Stranger Song
AlwaysSummer Day
Recognized Donor

Unread post by AlwaysSummer Day »

Stlarn = F you

Tluin = F you

Hrast = Damn

Parharding = adjective swearword

Naeth = (#2)

Sabruin = Get Lost

Straek = Kill Yourself

Skorchkettle = Bitch

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Common_dictionary
Roland; svirfneblin fist of the forest and eco terrorist.
Heinrich Von Rittermark; Everwatch Knights of Helm
Frederick Von Rittermark; Paladin of Azuth/Mystra
Erik Von Rittermark; Unknown
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

Look at Dutch/Hungarian traditional swearing. Enjoy PG13 cursing.

"May the Cat Kick your arse."
"May the crow claw your eye out!"
"May you be crushed to death by a divine sulphuric boulder!" (I actually use this)
"May brimstone crush you to death!" (another translation of the above)
"Oh that prostrated end of a cigar!"
"That Anguish-bitten lord of dogs!"
"Oh, may a wheel-barrow of small monkeys rip you to shreds!"
"By his little knife!"
"Oh, may his mother feel anguish!"
"May leper take you!"
"May you fade into sorrow!"
"May you succumb to the Plague!"
"May Cramp paralyse you!"
"May a wild horse kick the air out of you!"
"May the Lord call you to his side!"
"May you live a dog's life!"
"Yours is a cattle's lot!"
"Your father was a dog!"
"Whose mother's god compelled you to do this?!"
"You coffinful of cancer!"
"Your cancerous father's god!"

Regarding the cancer ones - A certain Hungarian ethnic culture uses these who are known to use more traditional language, so I am sure it's historically correct.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
Sun Wukong

Unread post by Sun Wukong »

Swearing in any form is actually banned on this server. Do not trust those rules listed on the forum. If you use a single word that offends anyone, for any reason, you will be banned for it. The people who claim otherwise are trying to get you banned.

- Signed: Years of Experience on BGTSCC

Edit: I am writing this as someone who can out insult Shakespearean insult generators.
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

/ justcouldn'thelpmyself

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
metaquad4

Unread post by metaquad4 »

Sun Wukong wrote:Swearing in any form is actually banned on this server. Do not trust those rules listed on the forum. If you use a single word that offends anyone, for any reason, you will be banned for it. The people who claim otherwise are trying to get you banned.

Edit: I am writing this as someone who can out insult Shakespearean insult generators.

"It" offends me. BANNED.

-Sincerely, the Knights Who Say [Redacted on behalf the moderators]
aka aplethoraof

2010 - 2023 (on permanent? leave)
Playing Arelith/NWN1 now. Still on discord (aplethoraof on discord).
AlwaysSummer Day
Recognized Donor

Unread post by AlwaysSummer Day »

metaquad4 wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:Swearing in any form is actually banned on this server. Do not trust those rules listed on the forum. If you use a single word that offends anyone, for any reason, you will be banned for it. The people who claim otherwise are trying to get you banned.

"It" offends me. BANNED.

-Sincerely, the Knights Who Say [Redacted on behalf the moderators]
We are no longer the knights who say [Redacted on behalf the moderators], we are now the knights who say...

Sorry, the moderator in charge of banning people has been banned. We have finished the rest of this thread in a totally different style at great expense to llamas.
Roland; svirfneblin fist of the forest and eco terrorist.
Heinrich Von Rittermark; Everwatch Knights of Helm
Frederick Von Rittermark; Paladin of Azuth/Mystra
Erik Von Rittermark; Unknown
Tekill
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Tekill »

PG is what, 13 year olds. They are old enough to say a naughty word!
Stlarn sakes!!!

Malodia - Bae'qeshel - The Dark Minstrel - https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=76945

Gilthisanthilas - Pryat of Helm - Everwatch Knight

Skagrot Skullsplitter - Mountain Orc Warrior - The Last Skullsplitter https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=79740
Svabodnik

Unread post by Svabodnik »

I'd hate to say it, but "welcome to a 'medium' RP server, where everyone is a closed book to even their home village, and the points don't matter". Despite the potential for in-FRCS-lore alternatives available for swear words, it reeks a bit of some complaints I've read regarding 'drommon' in the UD from some older threads. Players with characters perfectly compliant with the server rules may be thrown for a loop if they haven't had the interest to peruse the relevant splat-books, or the applicable forum posts, to actually understand the words being used.

I admit that context typically gives sufficient understanding of a term (as an ESL speaker myself), but I imagine it would be a little bit frustrating to try and work through what (forging together the worst possible strawman) "Tluin, and may your hrast business go to naeth. Saubrin and straek." may mean.

As an aside, PG-13 rating on movies allows specifically for a limit of one explicitly vulgar word during the runtime of the film. If that is the distinct stance the server takes, I don't actually see a reason for an occasional muck up to doom a player. If alternatively that is an a rule which is outdated by current server culture, I would recommend changing that to a PG (personal gripes) Rating.
"...I know that kind of man / It's hard to hold the hand of anyone / Who is reaching for the sky just to surrender..." – Leonard Cohen, The Stranger Song

Return to “General Discussion”