missing +4 stat items (STR, CON, CHA)

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Invoker

Re: missing +4 stat items (STR, CON, CHA)

Unread post by Invoker »

BG does not exclude non spellcasters.

Almost all sensible non-casting builds fare rather well, and several of them are outright top performers.

I think we’re in a good place right now, under this point of view.
This twisted culture got you feeding from its hand
But you will lose that food if you don't meet all their demands
And loyal is the soldier that gets slaughtered with the lambs
Examining the blueprints got you questioning the plans
ARHicks00

Unread post by ARHicks00 »

Invoker wrote:BG does not exclude non spellcasters.

Almost all sensible non-casting builds fare rather well, and several of them are outright top performers.

I think we’re in a good place right now, under this point of view.
1. I just got an arguement a few months ago where a person dragged topic about Solar Channelers into a theorycraft about how caster-clerics are better in melee. So you can't have it both ways. I'm not even going to argue this/

As it stands:
- Anointed Knight/Warrior of Darkness have less feats that encourage you to go to 10 and very low Spell Resistance.
- Pure Fighter doesn't get Tumble and if you don't build defensively, you can't do up level content
- Pure Barbarian sort of the same
- Pure Rogue as I pointed out earlier, does bad in the beginning until get HIPS. Does better later on, but gets worst as mobs get stronger and have more HP. They were created more to deal with people one on one. Also they can be shutdown by non-critical enemies unless you get to epic level for Precision strike.
- Pure Ranger is in the same boat.
- Weapon Master gets shut down by non-critical or very HP/AC enemies. Also it terrible against multiple enemies with HP unless you mix with Frenzy Berserk.
- Frenzy Berserker is the only viable class because it does heavy damage quick.
- Pure Monk is similar to the Rogue minus the HIPS and having problems with non-critical enemies. Circle kick cause Monk to switch targets and can make a round last too long while his enemies have moved onto the next round.

I could keep going, but exclusion in this game is nerfing certain classes or not having items available for certain classes to thrive. Spellcasters have answers to not having items while non-casters do not. If a caster runs into a non-critical enemy, they have an answer for it. If a caster runs into a group of enemies, it has an answer for it. If an enemy has an High HP, the caster has an answer for it.

Exclusion means the Spellcasters have advantage in areas where non-spellcasters have problems in and the non-casters are force to make a cookie cutter build as many of noted you have to do, which making a highly defensive build that has been discussed in several topics, then you've excluded most of the non-spellcasters. You can include them for RP reasons, but as for practical reasons there is no reason to have them. We can name the function of rogue, but you only need to 3 levels of rogue to handle traps. Gish builds and clerics can tanks or melee dps.

I'm not complaining about the game, rather I'm pointing out the need to make players depending on each other isn't going to encourage people to get in groups until one figures out, which players are dependent and which players not. You're find that spellcasters need other players less of the time.

Also I remember a players saying items are great as they save spellcasters spell slots. Persistant spell achieved the same thing. I have an idea why it was removed, but I didn't an argue it since it was pointless as I know how the attitude of some players can be when argue against something. With that, I'm arguing about what classes are viable and which ones aren't.
Last edited by ARHicks00 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
DM Invictus

Unread post by DM Invictus »

Every class has its weakness and strengths. Prestige classes were designed as a way to give other classes a "talent tree" to spec in to. There really Isn't much reason to go pure anything for the most part (Other than like the druid for example)

I don't think any one class/build is the best at everything but then I'm not entirely one to build for power. I find it a little frustrating when people say things like "well this class gets this but that class doesn't" because most of the time its comparing apples to oranges.

You cant be an epic fighter with all the spells you want, all the stealthy benefits, stupid high AC etc etc etc You have to learn to cover your weaknesses with other things be it consumables, items or other people.

Yes some builds are better than others. This is never going to change. You don't always have to be the "best" at something to enjoy yourself or the content available here.
"If a dragon falls in the forest and nobody gets to hear about it, does it make a thud?"

Please be aware of the rules!
When in doubt, ask your local DM!
Invoker

Unread post by Invoker »

ARHicks00 wrote: 1. I just got an arguement a few months ago where a person dragged topic about Solar Channelers into a theorycraft about how caster-clerics are better in melee. So you can't have it both ways. I'm not even going to argue this/
I am mildly surprised by the level of aggression in the above, and also by the fact that it has nothing to do with anything I said. Solar Channeler and caster clerics aren't "better in melee". Caster Cleric, since the addition of Hierophant and Domain rework, performs in Tier 1. So does EDM Man at Arms, or Fighter/Dwarven Defender, or any Barbarian 20.

And the beauty of it is, there is nothing to argue. These are facts.
As it stands:
- Anointed Knight/Warrior of Darkness have less feats that encourage you to go to 10 and very low Spell Resistance.
- Pure Fighter doesn't get Tumble and if you don't build defensively, you can't do up level content
- Pure Barbarian sort of the same
- Pure Rogue as I pointed out earlier, does bad in the beginning until get HIPS. Does better later on, but gets worst as mobs get stronger and have more HP. They were created more to deal with people one on one. Also they can be shutdown by non-critical enemies unless you get to epic level for Precision strike.
- Pure Ranger is in the same boat.
- Weapon Master gets shut down by non-critical or very HP/AC enemies. Also it terrible against multiple enemies with HP unless you mix with Frenzy Berserk.
- Frenzy Berserker is the only viable class because it does heavy damage quick.
- Pure Monk is similar to the Rogue minus the HIPS and having problems with non-critical enemies. Circle kick cause Monk to switch targets and can make a round last too long while his enemies have moved onto the next round.
This is quite incorrect. A very good friend of mine plays pure Ranger with excellent results. Barbarian is one of the top performers we have, right now. Monk has always been very good, and nowadays it's even better.

You might want to get in game and test your statements: you'd be pleasantly surprised.
I could keep going, but exclusion in nerfing class or not having items available for certain items to thrive. Spellcasters have answers to not having items while non-casters do not. If a caster runs into a no critical enemy, they have an answer for it. If a caster runs into a group of enemies, it has an answer for it. If an enemy has an High HP, the caster has an answer for it.
If you mean non-casters are more reliant on equipment, that is true. And also normal. However, that equipment IS available.
Exclusion means the Spellcasters have advantage in areas where non-spellcasters have problems in and the non-casters are force to make a cookie cutter build as many of noted you have to do, which making a highly defensive build that has been discussed in several topics, then you've excluded most of the non-spellcasters. You can include them for RP reasons, but as for practical reasons there is no reason to have them. We can name the function of rogue, but you only need to 3 levels of rogue to handle traps. Gish builds and clerics can tanks or melee dps.
This whole story doesn't mean much. RP reasons are the only reasons, and as far as mechanics are concerned, you can exclude every single class without a problem. Or play it without a problem.
I'm not complaining about the game, rather I'm pointing out the need to make players depending on each other isn't going to encourage people to get in groups until one figures out, which players are dependent and which players not. You're find that spellcasters need other players less of the time.
This is a hazy statement. "Spellcasters" are almost all classes. "Non spellcasters" are Fighter, Rogue, Man at Arms, Swashbuckler, Barbarian, Monk. Phantom has limited spellcasting, so I leave it out. Of these, certain Fighters need nobody and are actually Tier 1, MaA is Tier 1, Barbarian is high Tier 1, Monk is either Tier 1 or high Tier 2, while Swashbuckler and Rogue tend to be extremely performant in certain cases, and far less in others (when enemies are immune to SA/Paralysis/Ability Drain, for instance).
Also I remember a players saying items are great as they save spellcasters spell slots. Persistant spell achieved the same thing. I have an idea why it was removed, but I didn't an argue it since it was pointless as I know how the attitude of someplayers can be when argue against something. With that, I'm arguing about what classes are viable and which ones aren't.
Feel free to argue, but your idea of "viable" is outdated. I think you should get in game and play, check the changes, give yourself time to form an opinion, and let go of the preconceptions.
This twisted culture got you feeding from its hand
But you will lose that food if you don't meet all their demands
And loyal is the soldier that gets slaughtered with the lambs
Examining the blueprints got you questioning the plans
Sun Wukong

Unread post by Sun Wukong »

ARHicks00 wrote: As it stands:
Anointed Knight/Warrior of Darkness can be taken for 4 levels to get elemental damage to finish trolls. This is a common sight with builds. They can be taken up to 6 levels for additional feat, or more for the potential extra epic feats. I do not think they get spell resistance on this server. Wouldn't mind if they got the 20 spell resistance they get in PnP. It would be handy when running through low level areas with caster mobs that spam magic missile.
ARHicks00 wrote:- Pure Fighter doesn't get Tumble and if you don't build defensively, you can't do up level content
Erm... Tower Shield combined Improved Combat Expertise brings their AC to around 50 without that big of a feat investment. The AC could be higher with feats.

10 (Base)
+ 4 (Natural Armor Amulet)
+ 4 (Armor Enchantment Bracers)
+ 4 (Deflection Enchantment Item)
+ 4 (Dodge Enchantment Boots)
+ 4 (Shield Enchantment Shield)
+ 1 (Tumble)
+ 8 (Regular Full Plate)
+ 1 (Maximum Dexterity Bonus of REgular Full Plate)
+ 4 (Tower Shield)
+ 6 (Combat Expertise)
= 50

You can get Mithral Full Plate or spend feats for +2 AC. Luck of Heroes is another +1 AC. Armor Skin yet another +1 AC. There is fighter 18 feat for +1 AC as well. There are shield feats for +1 AC.

So yes, you can build for something defensive if you want to.

But generally speaking Epic Weapon Specialization, strength modifier of 10, and Melee Weapon Mastery is something like +18 damage to whatever your weapon does.

If you need to tank, you can.
ARHicks00 wrote:- Pure Barbarian sort of the same
Any Barbarian 20 build will do fine. That includes Barbarian 30 that gets more uses of rage, more DR, and those extra epic feats. There is nothing wrong with Barbarian 30, and in a way the faster Rage Progression does make it easier to level than something that has to follow the 3 by 20 rule.
ARHicks00 wrote:- Pure Rogue as I pointed out earlier, does bad in the beginning until get HIPS. Does better later on, but gets worst as mobs get stronger and have more HP. They were created more to deal with people one on one. Also they can be shutdown by non-critical enemies unless you get to epic level for Precision strike.
Pure rogue does not get HiPS, they do get the custom HitS... Anyhow, with HitS I think you can pull off a pure Rogue. You basically get to spend those Rogue Special abilities pre-epic on anything you need or think you need. Now, while the number of epic bonus feats is limited, just two at 24 and 28... You can afford to grab extra Sneak Attack Dice. Also, ranged rogues are best rogues. Distance creates safety, and half-elfs come with sneak attack range low-light vision. (Unless you use visual mod that changes it.)
ARHicks00 wrote:- Pure Ranger is in the same boat.
I got a pure ranger. A wisdom based Zen Archery one. It was actually one of the most pleasant characters I have had palyed in a long time and I got one to level 30. Buffed up animal companion to tank and ranged damage is the king maker, and the speed it slays those trolls...
ARHicks00 wrote:- Weapon Master gets shut down by non-critical or very HP/AC enemies. Also it terrible against multiple enemies with HP unless you mix with Frenzy Berserk.
I have never liked Weapon Master, too many feats and that critical hit immunity reduces the PRC to +1 AB. However, it is a bread and butter PRC and you just need to take 7 levels of it... And it does raise your damage output against anything that is not immune to critical hits. Fighter/Dwarven Defender/Weapon Masters are a thing on this server.
ARHicks00 wrote:- Frenzy Berserker is the only viable class because it does heavy damage quick.
Frenzied Berserk is a strong class to add any build that wishes to use Power Attack. The Supreme Cleave is also quite wonderful ability. But sometimes you need to tank out and the extra damage might not help you as much as Improved Combat Expertise for +6 AC.

These days high strength builds can make use of a Northlander Hewing feat. Thus Frenzied Berserker is no longer the only path to high damage per hit. Northlander Hewing can be taken by anyone.
ARHicks00 wrote:- Pure Monk is similar to the Rogue minus the HIPS and having problems with non-critical enemies. Circle kick cause Monk to switch targets and can make a round last too long while his enemies have moved onto the next round.
Pure Monks get spell resistance, and it is a very strong defensive ability. Pure monks can get Intuitive Strike which allows them to for a wisdom based build, which opens up wisdom based abilities such as Blazing Aura, grants them more AC and AB, while boosting their actual monk abilities in general.

As for Circle Kick, you do not have to burn a feat on it. I advice against it, and yet some always want to take it. And If it is granted by an item, just ask a DM to remove the feat. Problem solved.

And you can actually make strength, dexterity, or wisdom based pure monks. They are all feasible. It is just that in the low levels you just have to buy those potions of Cat's Grace and Owl's Wisdom to get +4 AC. But once the ball starts rolling, the ball starts rolling.
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
Hendrak

Unread post by Hendrak »

I would repeat what was stated before.

Tough in DnD PrC are intended to be stronger than base classes. Therefore there is a "tax entry" in requirements.

In DnD spellcasters are all powerful. Like you would imagine in a fantasy world. On this server i guess they have problems with at least some boss encounters.

Regarding Monks: I like playing my dwarven monk. A lot of fun for me. But medium BAB and an obligatory pick of E.Prowess / Exp.Weakness + no cold-iron/silver gauntlets puts them into tier 2 of melee classes. Maybe high tier 2 for the AC bonus of MotLD. With Monk 20 their dmg output also doenst come close to Tier 1 melee classes.

But they are fun, different ways to play them too. With some ressources i was able to solo the Balor on a dwarven Monk 20/ DD 7/ FotF 3 with intuitive strike. So they are definatly not weak if played right.
Sun Wukong

Unread post by Sun Wukong »

Hendrak wrote:Regarding Monks: I like playing my dwarven monk. A lot of fun for me. But medium BAB and an obligatory pick of E.Prowess / Exp.Weakness + no cold-iron/silver gauntlets puts them into tier 2 of melee classes. Maybe high tier 2 for the AC bonus of MotLD. With Monk 20 their dmg output also doenst come close to Tier 1 melee classes.
A wisdom based Intuitive Attack monk could use a Cold-Iron/Alchemical silver Quarterstaff/Kama to overcome DR. It will generally lower the damage output, since monk fists have much higher damage dice than a quarterstaff or a kama. But against high DR, you might actually end up doing more damage this way. It also allows you to switch EB gauntlets into something else temporarily.

A dexterity based monk could just swith to Kama to overcome DR.

A strength based monk could just switch to Quarterstafff to overcome DR and not have all that high drop in his damage out. After all, you do get 1.5 * strength modifier to damage.
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
Hendrak

Unread post by Hendrak »

Thats how i soled the balor with my fist monk. CI Kamas in both hands....
Svabodnik

Unread post by Svabodnik »

With a STR monk/pally/SF as my currently highest-level character, gotta say they seem quite fine for now. May not be super powerful, but has been a lot more fun to play due to monk quality-of-life:

> Silly-fast movement speed. Swapping to playing another character after running around as a monk makes me feel like I'm wearing a ball and chain.

> High saves, improved evasion, poison/disease immunity, SR: Can effectively ignore traps and many spells/abilities. Occasionally bite it due to a natural 1 here or there, but c'est la vie.

> If you've got fast fingers, you can actually drop-target spells by ki-stepping behind the caster as it is mid-cast. That's in addition to all the other utility ki step provides (gap-closer, escape mechanism, being to navigate across otherwise impassable terrain, etc.)

> May not be able to deal with silver/cold iron DR if unarmed, but is the only class with a ready means to bypass adamantine DR.

Anyways, finding it a bit funny that only about 1/3 of the thread is actually talking about the three +4 EB Ability items by this point. :^)
"...I know that kind of man / It's hard to hold the hand of anyone / Who is reaching for the sky just to surrender..." – Leonard Cohen, The Stranger Song
Rain

Unread post by Rain »

Just throwing my two cents in:

Let's also mention that while spell casters are all powerful. Spell casters also needs constant rest and rejuvenation to keep their 'power' from dropping into nothingness.

Many people seem to forget that some DM events (Atleast the good & well thought-out ones) can last hours without rest! And in those hours spell-casters need to think considerably about how they distribute their buffs and power ups. And let's not even talk if the main bulk of the party gets wiped and then needs to be revived mid way through before even making it to the SUPER MEGA LICH NAMED TED at the end. That spell-caster will be just as good as driving a car without a gas canister attached.

Then who do you think he turns to to finish the quest?

The non spell casters who are quite dangerous with ONLY a sword, shield and bow to their name.

Yes. Spell-casters are powerful and can solo short term things. But in the long term non spell-casters triumph over them with stamina and do not need to prepare before-hand to be useful.
Cerebella Dreambreaker - Insectomancer

Larfleeze Keres Hamoa - Plague Doctor

Batibat Kok-Lir Kasdeya - The All-Seeing Eye

"The Ruined Queen" - Leader of The All-Seeing Eyes.

"For the night is dark, and full of terrors."
ARHicks00

DM Invictus wrote:Every class has its weakness and strengths. Prestige classes were designed as a way to give other classes a "talent tree" to spec in to. There really Isn't much reason to go pure anything for the most part (Other than like the druid for example)

I don't think any one class/build is the best at everything but then I'm not entirely one to build for power. I find it a little frustrating when people say things like "well this class gets this but that class doesn't" because most of the time its comparing apples to oranges.

You cant be an epic fighter with all the spells you want, all the stealthy benefits, stupid high AC etc etc etc You have to learn to cover your weaknesses with other things be it consumables, items or other people.

Yes some builds are better than others. This is never going to change. You don't always have to be the "best" at something to enjoy yourself or the content available here.

1. DnD originally was not created with cross classing in mind. That came later.

2. I included the PrCs amongst that list. Simply put getting surrounded and facing enemues with either High AC, high damage, and cannot be critcally hit is a non-casters bane.

3. As I said, Rogue/Fighter/Weapon Master/Divine Champion. It would have been Anointed Knight, but since they got "fixed" I had to find a more viable melee PrC. Turns out the Evasion aspect got "fixed" so unless I wear mithril chainmail, the Rogue class was useless out UMD and disabled device.
ARHicks00

Invoker wrote:I am mildly surprised by the level of aggression in the above...
I could have shown I made it clear I am not going to argue this. I am not husband so not try not to get the last word in. I am not poor so do not offer your two cents. The moment I said, I am not going to argue this, you should have left it at that. To show you I am true to my word, I am not read past that part of the sentence.
Last edited by ARHicks00 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

end of the day, from a build perspective even if +4 STR/CON/CHA items are introduced most melee builds without ready access to Bull's STR Will be better off finishing on odd STR/CON to use Belt of Growth. Non-Casters or low CL casters are very item dependent. Thus 'killing two birds with one stone' like maximizing STR/CON is a huge boon. Barbarians would rather finish on even, but they only need +2 items with Epic Rage to reach the cap (standard rage for CON). Thus, in the end +4 STR and CON items, if in separate slots would mostly benefit lower HP Gish types. Consider that Bears Endurance can kill you if you're not careful and +4 CON for an elven Bladesinger would probably get them up over ~300 HP.

There is a lot more to consider with stat items than just 'it evens out non-casters with casters'...It doesn't, and if we did enough to truly even them out it would actually make things far too easy and difficult to balance from a PvE perspective.

My main is a Rogue type. I have played non-caster fighter melee types with great success in PvE as well including a F12/WoD10/BG4/TK4 which even as a Halberd user was able to solo everything within reasonable CR range. Even UMD use is not strictly required if you're patient and do some research in game. Master Alchemist players can provide elixirs of up to level 7 spells! Thus without UMD you can still get Shadow Shield, Deathward, Deez's Shadow Barrier, Greater Heroism (though cheaper to buy from Thayan Enclave), etc... In addition to the readily available potions of up to level 3. In addition, you can get these up to caster level 30 (though it is more expensive) so if you really need a long term ward that won't get dispelled, you can get it.

So many things have made the server far easier for players (like me) that never had any epic gear/DM reward gear/grandfathered gear, etc. New PRC's, more spells that can be placed on wands, Master Alchemist Elixirs, Epic Shops, Traveling Merchant. Use/day and charge items that don't require UMD, Evasion change (which in conjunction with availability of mithril chainmail has significantly reduced the cost to obtain Mithril Full Plate while still keeping mithril chainmail affordabble) Expose Weakness as a mode (which while no longer as strong, is easier to get to fire since you can set it and forget it), new feats like Blinding Strike, Northlander Hewing and One Hander and so many more.

Simply put there is a LOT of information out there, frankly it's too much to take in. However, if you narrow your focus to what you are trying to accomplish it is much easier to search and navigate the wiki then it ever was in the past and asking build/feat advice in the character building forums or on Discord almost always results in lots of positive feedback/advice on what can make a given build type more survivable, more fun or better suited to what you are trying to accomplish either in RP or mechanically.

1. D&D 3.5 is what NWN2 rules are based on, cross-classing is a huge part of the design and has been since 1st edition (humans got to dual class, other races multi-class).

2. There aren't really any high AC enemies on the server. The reason you want ~45 AB for a non-HiPS melee is because highest AC enemies have around ~35 AC, meaning on a roll of 2 or higher your 1st, 2nd and 3rd attacks are guaranteed to hit and your 4th and 5th attacks are more than likely going to hit. Mobs on this server are mostly made with loads (too many) hit points and DR. Honestly might be nice to see some ~45 AC mobs with lower HP and no/low DR as blasters would have a place to adventure and, while melee PC's might hit less, that would be ok because not as much damage would be needed to defeat each mob.

3. Anointed Knight is the very best melee PRC out there. Gives you Tumble, Spellcraft, high Will saves, Tower Shields (for Paladins and other non-fighter bases), more skill points and for taking Iron Will (which is nice for improving saves anyway) you get Blind Fighting, Toughness (opens up Steadfast!), and Alertness (Dash for WoD) on top of DR 3/- (great for grabbing epic DR for non-Barbarians) and 2 EPIC bonus feats which are not as limited as Divine Champion or Fighter Bonus Feats (can be used for Great Strength and other feats Fighter/DC feats can't be used for. DC is still a fine pick, especially if going for Epic DR as a Barbarian, still a solid improvement to saving throws and such. However, Anointed Knight and WoD give a small damage boost (~2.5 damage per hit is better than Weapon Specialization) as well as all the things mentioned above. Spellcraft being a huge boon for fighter types, obviously.

Mithiril Chainmail is 1 less AC than Mithril Fullplate and Fighters get a feat that gives them some resistance to elemental damage in medium/heavy armor. So you decide if you want the 1 extra AC with some resistance or if you want 1 less AC and evasion. In PnP evasion doesn't even work in anything heavier than light armor so this 'fix' is accurate to PnP, while still giving something to heavy/medium armor users to make the decision a bit less one sided. Not to mention everyone dipping Rogue/Monk is a bit weak anyway. Almost no one RP's that aspect of the character so the option to simply not go that route and still have it be a solid choice is kind of nice.

Finally, it is a bit rude to throw out an opinion which doesn't show a full understanding of the changes to the server and then simply state "Not arguing/not reading anyone else's thoughts/opinions". Folks are trying to help make clear why non-casters are perfectly viable and even quite strong in many cases on the server, but if you do not wish to read than I suppose nothing that's typed will reach you and help you understand what you can do that makes your PC stronger, if that is your desire. Knowledge is never a bad thing and maybe you'll learn something you did not know which will give you a unique idea for a mechanically viable and fun to play build and character concept to RP.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
ARHicks00

Oh god. This what I tried to avoid.
Sun Wukong wrote:
ARHicks00 wrote: As it stands:
Anointed Knight/Warrior of Darkness can be taken for 4 levels to get elemental damage to finish trolls. This is a common sight with builds. They can be taken up to 6 levels for additional feat, or more for the potential extra epic feats. I do not think they get spell resistance on this server. Wouldn't mind if they got the 20 spell resistance they get in PnP. It would be handy when running through low level areas with caster mobs that spam magic missile.
So ignore +5 to saves to get 4 level for killing trolls for a few rounds when bombs and flask are buyable as well as drop quite often or the fact you can find, make m, or buy fire wands....Brilliant!!!

[
Erm... Tower Shield combined Improved Combat Expertise brings their AC to around 50 without that big of a feat investment. The AC could be higher with feats.

10 (Base)
+ 4 (Natural Armor Amulet)
+ 4 (Armor Enchantment Bracers)
+ 4 (Deflection Enchantment Item)
+ 4 (Dodge Enchantment Boots)
+ 4 (Shield Enchantment Shield)
+ 1 (Tumble)
+ 8 (Regular Full Plate)
+ 1 (Maximum Dexterity Bonus of REgular Full Plate)
+ 4 (Tower Shield)
+ 6 (Combat Expertise)
= 50

You can get Mithral Full Plate or spend feats for +2 AC. Luck of Heroes is another +1 AC. Armor Skin yet another +1 AC. There is fighter 18 feat for +1 AC as well. There are shield feats for +1 AC.

So yes, you can build for something defensive if you want to.

But generally speaking Epic Weapon Specialization, strength modifier of 10, and Melee Weapon Mastery is something like +18 damage to whatever your weapon does.

If you need to tank, you can.
Quote, "Also as a fighter type, you have to pray the DMs/staff didn't deviant too much from the source material from the player handbook. (Which happens all to often) A fighter type that doesn't cross class will get 50 AC and 52 if you get 30 tumble. (Not counting combat expertise feats for 53 to 56 AC and 55 to 58 respectively) However, most will have below this because you also need to dedicate feats to CCs, damage, and high AB. Most DMs do not take this inconsideration or don't care, which is why a lot of Fighter types fall to the waste side and servers become spellcaster dominate."

I am not being a jerk, but I am not argue about classes because it will go into theorycraft or not make a point at all.
Last edited by ARHicks00 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Svabodnik

Unread post by Svabodnik »

chad878262 wrote:[...]end of the day, from a build perspective even if +4 STR/CON/CHA items are introduced most melee builds without ready access to Bull's STR Will be better off finishing on odd STR/CON to use Belt of Growth. Non-Casters or low CL casters are very item dependent. Thus 'killing two birds with one stone' like maximizing STR/CON is a huge boon. Barbarians would rather finish on even, but they only need +2 items with Epic Rage to reach the cap (standard rage for CON). Thus, in the end +4 STR and CON items, if in separate slots would mostly benefit lower HP Gish types. Consider that Bears Endurance can kill you if you're not careful and +4 CON for an elven Bladesinger would probably get them up over ~300 HP.[...]
Considering not wanting to split the potential of +4 STR and CON to two different slots for the above reason, not wanting to split +4 STR and CHA due to EDM, and as the primary casting attribute for Wiz gishes is INT (which already exists in head slot), what would be your thoughts on adding +4 STR/CON/CHA as only head-slot items? It would put Sorc gishes in the same camp as their wizard counterparts, and would keep +4 ability slot as specific as possible (with only +4 DEX gloves and +4 WIS amulet being excluded from the slot, due to them already being available in the game).
"...I know that kind of man / It's hard to hold the hand of anyone / Who is reaching for the sky just to surrender..." – Leonard Cohen, The Stranger Song

Return to “General Discussion”