New Kit Suggestion: Fighter (Samurai/Commando)

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

zyztem

New Kit Suggestion: Fighter (Samurai/Commando)

Unread post by zyztem »

The idea behind this suggestion is for the server to have a fighter class who is optimized in many weapons instead of just one. Just like the Ninja class is changed to Phantom on this server, this class can be called Commando, but the inspiration behind it is from Samurai, whom are highly trained worrier in many weapons of war.

--------------------------------Samurai/Commando(Fighter Kit)---------------------------------

Samurai loses access to the following abilities:

Fighter Bonus Feats
Samurai who uses a shield will have a -8 AB penalty to all his attacks

Alignment: Any non-chaotic

Class: Fighter (This kit has 25 levels)

1: Weapon Proficiency (Exotic)

2: Iron Will

3: Weapon Focus(Yari/Spear), Weapon Focus(Yumi/longbow), Weapon focus(Katana), Weapon Focus(wakizashi/Short Sword)

4:

5: Toughness

6:

7: Weapon Specialization(Yari/Spear), Weapon Specialization(Yumi/longbow), Weapon Specialization(Katana), Weapon Specialization(wakizashi/Short Sword)

8:

9: Versatile Fighter

10:

11: Greater Weapon Focus(Yari/Spear), Greater Weapon Focus(Yumi/longbow), Greater Weapon focus(Katana), Greater Weapon Focus(wakizashi/Short Sword)

12:

13: Steadfast Determination

14:

15: Greater Weapon Specialization(Yari/Spear), Greater Weapon Specialization(Yumi/longbow), Greater Weapon Specialization(Katana), Greater Weapon Specialization(wakizashi/Short Sword)

16:

17: Weapon Mastery (Slash), Weapon Mastery (Piercing), Weapon Mastery(Ranged)

18:

19: Elite Versatile Fighter

20:

21: Epic Weapon Focus X4

22: Epic Will

23: Epic Weapon Specialization X4

24: Epic Prowess

25: Legendary Versatile Fighter

Versatile Fighter

Beginning at level 11, Samurai get a +2 bonus to AB, and +2 Bonus to Damage and +2 Bonus to AC for 5 rounds whenever he switches weapon, this ability has a 10 rounds cool down.

At level 19, The ability now lasts for 10 rounds with a 10 rounds cool down.

At level 25, The ability now has a 5 rounds cool down, this ability stacks.

I personally think that a fighter who switches weapons around in combat would be really cool to play. There is currently no class like that(other than the builds which don't focus on any weapon)
Last edited by zyztem on Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Re: New Kit Suggestion: Fighter (Samurai/Commando)

Unread post by chad878262 »

My guess is with the loss of feats and requirement to take what amounts to 24 levels of Fighter to at least get Epic Weapon Specialization that these builds would not be used. Will and Reflex saves will be trash and with only 7 feats (8 for human/strongheart halfling) they are going to need at a minimum ICE (because they can't use shields), KD/IKD, Blindfight, NH or IPA, probably Luck of Hero's, One Weapon (possibly)... The idea is ok, but in practice it's going to be a very weak character.
zyztem wrote:Beginning at level 11, Samurai get a +2 bonus to AB, and +2 Bonus to Damage and +2 Bonus to AC for 5 rounds whenever he switches weapon, this ability has a 10 rounds cool down.

Not sure how this would work...Switching weapons doesn't have a cooldown so might be difficult to avoid exploitation. In addition, for the most part this will equate to +2 AB/Damage/AC in every battle, or most of them. So long as it's possible to ensure no stacking it's not a major issue for me. I still think it's not worth building kits/PRCs that only one player (or very very few players) will use. A build with this kit is going to have poor AC, poor Saves and only average damage (though AB will likely be quite good). Why would anyone play something that in epics is basically going to get destroyed by the first caster mob that comes along?
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
zyztem

Unread post by zyztem »

chad878262 wrote:My guess is with the loss of feats and requirement to take what amounts to 24 levels of Fighter to at least get Epic Weapon Specialization that these builds would not be used. Will and Reflex saves will be trash and with only 7 feats (8 for human/strongheart halfling) they are going to need at a minimum ICE (because they can't use shields), KD/IKD, Blindfight, NH or IPA, probably Luck of Hero's, One Weapon (possibly)... The idea is ok, but in practice it's going to be a very weak character.
zyztem wrote:Beginning at level 11, Samurai get a +2 bonus to AB, and +2 Bonus to Damage and +2 Bonus to AC for 5 rounds whenever he switches weapon, this ability has a 10 rounds cool down.

Not sure how this would work...Switching weapons doesn't have a cooldown so might be difficult to avoid exploitation. In addition, for the most part this will equate to +2 AB/Damage/AC in every battle, or most of them. So long as it's possible to ensure no stacking it's not a major issue for me. I still think it's not worth building kits/PRCs that only one player (or very very few players) will use. A build with this kit is going to have poor AC, poor Saves and only average damage (though AB will likely be quite good). Why would anyone play something that in epics is basically going to get destroyed by the first caster mob that comes along?
Wow, that was a fast Reply! Thank you!
I am still editing and twerking around, as you suggested, I added Iron will at lvl2 and Epic will at lvl22, that would fix some problem with the will save.
Also, since all those weapon feats you get for free, my idea for this build is you basically have all your feats free to spend elsewhere into CE/ICE, NH and such.
zyztem

Unread post by zyztem »

chambordini wrote:We can't really bar the fighter bonus feats from being chosen.
Well, maybe we can make this a separate class that requires a fighter level. (when you get the first level of fighter, you get the qualification feat) And make this an PRC so that there wont be exp penalty
Blackman D
Retired Staff

Unread post by Blackman D »

cant you just take fighter levels and pick the feats to do the same thing though? not to mention get the +2 AB/dmg feats for weapon type that last as long as you have that type equipped

granted harder to do with four weapons, could probably easily get epic spec with two skipping out on a lot of other stuff, but honestly high level fighters run out of feats to take i hear

idk, just doesnt seem like it would get taken when you can just style a fighter after a samurai and make something just as good or better
everyone is evil till proven otherwise
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

Samurai as implemented by Sigil. Obviously omitting the dual adamantine masterwork blades given at level 1, something similar is how it should be adapted in BG, if we even need anything like it at all.
Svabodnik

Unread post by Svabodnik »

Rather than Fighter, the MaA kits brought up a while back seem to do more justice to the concept. Notably, since the conversation stayed a bit askew of Sigil's presentation of a dual-wielder for the knights of the far East. Even if you take a look at Legend of the Five Rings, as reinterpreted in Oriental Adventures, only one of the clans ever bothered with dual-wielding.
"...I know that kind of man / It's hard to hold the hand of anyone / Who is reaching for the sky just to surrender..." – Leonard Cohen, The Stranger Song
ARHicks00

Unread post by ARHicks00 »

Fight class is Synergy class meaning they are meant to be combine with other classes to make them melee oriented or to connect them with better melee PrCs. Fighters have enough feats to be made into classes you want so there is no real reason to give Fighters a kit.

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”