Make Intimidate a "Clickable" skill with uses in combat.

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

kitteninablender

Make Intimidate a "Clickable" skill with uses in combat.

Unread post by kitteninablender »

So here's how it would work:

You drag Intimidate to a Hot bar, just like the Heal skill.

You roll Intimidate. It has an area of effect centered on you of 30 feet. It's a standard action to intimidate.

Defenders rolls Will Save and then adds Base Attack Bonus.

Defender wins: no effect.

Intimidator wins: Enemy gets Shaken (-2 to attacks and saves.) Mindless creatures or creatures immune to fear are immune to this effect.

You could potentially add Feats to improve this ability. Like Intimidating Rage, for a Barbarian: which could be something like If you make a critical hit you make an intimidate check as a free action against all creatures around you. If you succeed by 20 or more they become Panicked for 1 round.

This would make playing a Ghost-Faced Killer a LOT of fun. xD
Chaos is relative. What is normal for the Spider is Chaos for the Fly.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Re: Make Intimidate a "Clickable" skill with uses in combat.

Unread post by Steve »

You know about Taunt, right?

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Ravial

Unread post by Ravial »

Or... You could play Man at Arms that can even put fear into his enemies.
"I sometimes wonder if Ravial is actually rav'ialquessir irl" ~ Colonic 2017

~Viridiana Lydhaer - Retired. Silverymoon!
~Arundae Dyraalis - Retired.
~Amaevael Laelyssil - Retired, Selu'Taar on Evermeet
~Laeria Amarillis - #HideThePainLaeria

Ravial ~ By CommanderKrieg ~
wurdpass

Unread post by wurdpass »

Ravial wrote:Or... You could play Man at Arms that can even put fear into his enemies.
So only Lawful warriors focused on combat while wearing heavy armor are able to scare their foes?

Taunt is taunt. You wouldnt roll taunt in RP when you want to intimidate

Bear Warrior and Orc War Drummer have intimidate based abilities, which is pretty cool ill say.

But it doesnt replace the idea that a level 30 barbarian is just as (un)intimidating to a NPC mob as a level 1 commoner.

I dont even feel that passionate about kitteninablenders idea, I just dont appreciate these bad faith arguments taking place in a constructive suggestions forum
Young Werther

Unread post by Young Werther »

http://bgtscc.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_Howl

I know I was surprised too.
Lockonnow wrote:greatest fear like the movie Hellraiser they show you what you most fear and take a Image of IT
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

What kitten is actually referencing is Demoralize Opponent, which is an aspect of Intimidate Skill.

Intimidate Skill is equally used to make an NPC "friendly" to your...interactions...in order to "...chat, advise, offer limited help, or advocate on your behalf while intimidated."

Maybe my terse response comes across as "bad faith" to some, but really, if Intimidate were to be made as the OP suggests, then wouldn't we also want to balance the request, and make something equal for Diplomacy (well, Bluff already has, right?).

Imagine using Diplomacy skill in order to weaken the resolve of your foe through...nicey talk?!?! LOL.

But now having thought about it in this way, if all social skills were then given mechanical usage, I guess it would be somewhat interesting to put into play! 8-)

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

Steve wrote:What kitten is actually referencing is Demoralize Opponent, which is an aspect of Intimidate Skill.

Intimidate Skill is equally used to make an NPC "friendly" to your...interactions...in order to "...chat, advise, offer limited help, or advocate on your behalf while intimidated."

Maybe my terse response comes across as "bad faith" to some, but really, if Intimidate were to be made as the OP suggests, then wouldn't we also want to balance the request, and make something equal for Diplomacy (well, Bluff already has, right?).

Imagine using Diplomacy skill in order to weaken the resolve of your foe through...nicey talk?!?! LOL.

But now having thought about it in this way, if all social skills were then given mechanical usage, I guess it would be somewhat interesting to put into play! 8-)

Diplomacy could apply a part buff somehow? Like +rank/10 AB to nearby PCs except for the one who used it.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
wurdpass

Unread post by wurdpass »

The harsher language in my response was more focused in this case on the idea that man at arms was a "mic-drop" response to the original topic, and more generally at a perveived negativity to any and all suggestions here.

I will fully admit ignorance to demoralize opponent feat and I do feel that it does enough for this suggestion, even if it doesnt seem very powerful it provides access to the desired playstyle.

My apologies if I offended anyone with my perhaps instinctive reaction to what I perceived to be unnecessarily reductiveness and defensiveness in engaging with a user base interested in providing constructive feedback.
Okan

Unread post by Okan »

I think the application of Demoralize Opponent would be a good addition. It might be very close to Taunt but I do feel flavor wise they are separate enough. Bonuses to fear and mind-affecting statuses are not hard to come by, not to mention enemies that are straight up immune, so I don't believe it would be a balance issue.

I don't see how to justify Diplomacy having a similar effect though. I can visualize an opponent being shaken down by an intense glare or loud warcry or an enemy caught off guard with feints, but nothing in the realm of Diplomacy makes me think a combat bonus really.
Fignar Brokenshield - The Melancholic Defender
Higan Hammerfist - The Stalker of Caverns
aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 »

perhaps diplomacy would instead provide minor and temp bonus to saves vs fear or will saves in general. Diplomacy does already have an unrivaled benefit to assist in "named" summons. This could be considered equal compensation.
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley
Ravial

Unread post by Ravial »

No harm done, wurdpass. Takes more than that to offend me :P

I myself didn't realise that there's demoralise opponent in intimidate skill check! You learn something every day.
"I sometimes wonder if Ravial is actually rav'ialquessir irl" ~ Colonic 2017

~Viridiana Lydhaer - Retired. Silverymoon!
~Arundae Dyraalis - Retired.
~Amaevael Laelyssil - Retired, Selu'Taar on Evermeet
~Laeria Amarillis - #HideThePainLaeria

Ravial ~ By CommanderKrieg ~
Archaos

Unread post by Archaos »

Steve wrote:You know about Taunt, right?
Taunt is similar but not the same with PnP's Demoralize.

"NwN2 Taunt: Check: The enemy must make a Will save against a difficulty class equal to 5 + the attacker's taunt skill or suffer -2 to AC and -2 to concentration for five rounds."

"PnP Demoralize Opponent:
You can also use Intimidate to weaken an opponent’s resolve in combat. To do so, make an Intimidate check opposed by the target’s modified level check (see above). If you win, the target becomes shaken for 1 round.
A shaken character takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws. You can intimidate only an opponent that you threaten in melee combat and that can see you."
AlwaysSummer Day
Recognized Donor

Unread post by AlwaysSummer Day »

Bear Warriors can roar.

http://bgtscc.wikia.com/wiki/Bear_Warrior
Roar
At 1st level, a bear warrior gains the roar ability. A bear warrior can let out a terrible roar that causes fear in all enemies that hear the cry. Affected creatures must make a Will save (DC 10 + Bear Warrior Level + 1/2 Intimidate ranks). Duration: 3 rounds Cooldown: 45 Seconds
Roland; svirfneblin fist of the forest and eco terrorist.
Heinrich Von Rittermark; Everwatch Knights of Helm
Frederick Von Rittermark; Paladin of Azuth/Mystra
Erik Von Rittermark; Unknown
metaquad4

Unread post by metaquad4 »

It already is. Take a look at your general feats next time you level up (and have 3 BAB :D).

Demoralize Opponent is a MAA class feature here, instead of a general feature.
aka aplethoraof

2010 - 2023 (on permanent? leave)
Playing Arelith/NWN1 now. Still on discord (aplethoraof on discord).
Rasael
Retired Staff

Unread post by Rasael »

The reason man-at-arms (MaA) intimidate wasn't considered for general / free availability is because it uses the MaA taunt settings.
That's the part where you can store taunts which are then spoken by your char when you use the MaA abilities.
https://wiki.bgtscc.net/index.php?title=Man-at-Arms

Its not a huge obstacle. But its more convoluted than just making the MaA demoralize feat available.
I think its a good idea to make it available though.

Not sure if there's a significant balance impact to having multiple taunt / intimidate effects.
Because you could use them in sequence. What do you think?

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”