The Last Anchor RP Thread

In-Character News, Laws, Announcements, Rumors, and Stories Relating to the Sword Coast

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Milluw

Re: The Last Anchor RP Thread

Unread post by Milluw »

A poster is tacked up nearby the bar within the Anchor.
Hidden: show
30 x Altar Neutral
2 x Leanto (Woodland)
1 x Leanto (City)
1 x Leanto (Plain)
22 x Candelabra (Five-Flame)
6 x Candelabra (Three-Flame)
3 x Candle
6 x Picnic Blanket
2 x Merchant Stall
2 x Bottle
44 x Crystal Ball
2 x Book (Open)
4 x Wooden Signs
Seven days later the posting was removed.
Last edited by Milluw on Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
artemitavik

Unread post by artemitavik »

A few days after the meeting with the Elder and making the gift of weapons and armor to the Militia of Ulgoth's Beard, Derik would invite the militiamen, and anyone else in the town, who wishes to increase their fighting skills to meet on the cliffs overlooking town for basic drill and instruction. ((no screenshot because NPCS and stuff))

He is also seen approaching Candlekeep and stays for some hours, apparently discussing various things with the newly returned Guide Alexandra.

Derik "Crimson Bulwark" Ranloss: Thugging for GREAT JUSTICE!!! (yes, I know he doesn't wear red)
Headmaster:Bladestone Foundation.
Owner:The Last Anchor

Braithreachas Leomhainn
"My purpose is to shed blood for those who can't, and to bleed for those who shouldn't."
artemitavik

A Bandit's Bloody End
To aid in the efforts against the growing forces of the Devils of Dragonspear, Derik Ranloss had spoken some time ago to the Elven priestess Elvalia Nightstar of Doron Amar who was organizing efforts to defend the elven township in the Misty Forest near the High Moors, but the efforts quickly spread to all the surrounding settlements threatened by the forces of Dragonspear. To aid this, Priestess Nightstar had contacted Lord Dhelt of Triel and asked for his aid. Lord Dhelt had, in turn asked for aid in dealing with some issues before he was apparently able to commit long-term forces. A note arrived some 10-day ago asking for a group to help with one of those tasks.

The group was requested to seek the bandit attacking travelers and woodsmen in the Reaching Woods, taking prisoners for who knows what purpose. They set out to do just that. The group consisted of the proprietors of the Last Anchor, Derik and Lannia Ranloss as well as Niyressa Dawncrow and Lylan'Synor who both also reside at the Anchor. Unfortunately, the mages Brandrin and Dimitry were delayed and not able to join the time-sensitive expedition.

The group traveled to the Reaching Woods and found a medium sized camp. After an intense but short battle, the four veteran adventurers ended about 25 or so bandits, including the leader Lysander Blackborn. One bandit got away and was apparently a Lycanthrope or some other shifter and eluded the team in the woods.

Record of the 12 kidnapped individuals were found, but that they had already been taken to the East and towards the Inner Sea for the slave trade. The team searched for a day, moving quickly, to try to catch up to any caravans, but there was too much distance and they could not find the slavers.

The bandit's head, a blood soaked paper, and the "receipt" from the slavers was taken to priestess Elvalia Nightstar so she could inform Lord Dhelt of the success.
((Thank you DM Soulcatcher for the event, also thank you to DM Doom who saw us traveling and was going to initiate a random DM encounter, but was stymied by the event already in progress. :D ))
Derik "Crimson Bulwark" Ranloss: Thugging for GREAT JUSTICE!!! (yes, I know he doesn't wear red)

Braithreachas Leomhainn
"My purpose is to shed blood for those who can't, and to bleed for those who shouldn't."
DivinityDelayed

Unread post by DivinityDelayed »

Three crates arrive at the Anchor. The first is fairly light, but large enough for Lannia to hide in, and contains a chair. The chair is made of sturdy and ornate oak, with curved rails attached to the legs at the bottom allowing the seated individual to rock back and forth easily. Also enclosed is a stuffed pillow with ties to keep it attached to the chair's seat for added comfort. It bears the marks of a Waterdavian shipping house.

The second crate is much heavier. Upon opening there are a number of tiles inside. Perhaps first mistaken as roofing materials, it is soon apparent these slate tiles are for writing on with chalk. There is also case of white chalk sticks. There are 30 slates, and 200 sticks of chalk. In another case inside the crate is a set of stationary papers and inks with a couple feather pens. This crate also bears the marks of a Waterdavian shipping house.

The last crate looks more well-traveled. It bears the marks of a Cormyran shipping house as well as the before mentioned Waterdavian shipper. Inside is a set of exotic spices from Marsember, and scented soap that smells of fresh pine. There are also several carefully packed jars of bath oils.

There is a letter with the soap:

"Growing is not easy. I hope this shipment managed without breakage. Here are some things to help your community and family grow. With love, and lots of Luck, I.S."
artemitavik

Derik would grin, setting the spices and soap out on the nightstand for Lannia to find and moving the rocking chair into the suite in the corner as well for now. The slate and chalk he puts into the cellar for use.

"Nice, Iris..." he chuckles to himself out-loud as he does so.

Braithreachas Leomhainn
artemitavik

Lannia Ranloss, one of the proprietors for the Last Anchor has not been seen much of late in public.

Late last night, her husband Derik brought her home from some sort of trip. The staff fussed over her some, particularly the cook, as she did not seem well at all. Derik, however, shooed them all off after a few minutes and took her downstairs.

In the morning, he appeared in full kit again and strode out the door without a word.

He didn't look like he had slept at all...

Braithreachas Leomhainn
Tiberis79

Unread post by Tiberis79 »

Lannia barely lifted her head for weeks, milling about in an almost zombie-like state. Sometimes she got up and did Lannia-like things such cooking in the kitchen, or fishing. More often than not she seemed to forget what she was doing, leaving goodness knows what mixed together on the counter top, or burning on the stove. She would then be seen swinging her fishing poll toward the water and either forgetting to release the line or put any bait on the hook. Since the shaman was renowned for her hunting, fishing, and cooking skills, the onlookers at Ulgoth's Beard watched with morbid horror, worried, and unsure of what to do. Lannia had long been a light in the sleepy hamlet, bringing healing to their sick and the blessings of Chauntea to their crops.

So everyone watched. Dove, who had come to the near-famous shaman for spiritual healing got worse without care. Other such pilgrims showed up for guidance and turned away when empty, listless blue eyes looked at them but could not seem to see them. They all watched and shook their heads in despair. What would come of the girl who walked into their lives as a scared, lost child, and became a warrior, a priestess, a great shaman, and the heart of her community?

Near three years had built the name of Lannia Ranloss, and knitted it firmly on the hearts of those around her. Those that couldn't help but miss the love that radiated in her presence, now gone cold. Empty, and hollow she always sat unblinking and lifeless while still breathing. She had helped saved Baldur's Gate from three great seamonsters. She had helped to free the demon silver mine slaves. She had helped track and put down a demon bear menace, and helped the druid circle reclaim it's magic acorn relics. She was a legend of sorts, and people felt that they were watching the legend fade before their very eyes.

But most of all they missed her laughter. They missed the motherly figure that always pulled them into her inn and fed them ridiculous amounts of food. To Lannia, once you were met, you were family, and you felt it. The mood in the fishing village grew dimmer as she did. Seeing her moving about no longer brought hope that she would recover. It was only a ghost that shuffled among them and reminded them of who they were losing.

They watched her husband come and go. He looked more haggard and tired by the day. Mara, the inn's cook when Lannia wasn't around, reported that Derik would sit beside her bed and watch Lannia sleep. When she was up and about he would talk to her, and her eyes would trace the sound of his voice and then wonder off again. It was heartbreaking to see. He never stopped talking to her, for just the empty glances it won him. He would pack up and go somewhere... Mara couldn't say where. She could only offer that he was looking for a cure. Few remained hopeful he would find one.

Then as Lannia stood staring at the bay, with a fishing poll in her hands that she wasn't even bothering to cast, a blinding blue light shot across the sky. It was not common for people to see things of a spiritual nature, and they could not have told you what they saw. Just a blue light that ran right into Lannia Ranloss' chest, radiating out to her fingertips, toes, and into up through her eyes, and then sunk into her. She collapsed forward into the water, and Bob drug her out before she would drown, sending a runner to the Last Anchor for help.

She was carried to her home and dressed in dry clothes by Mara. Mara covered the shaman with blankets and began to weep, fearing that the end was near. Then Lannia opened her eyes, looking wearily around the room. It was not the empty, almost dead look she'd been giving. Her eyes searched. They were directed and present.

-Warrior?- Lannia's weakened voice lifted in draconic. Her draconic was a bit messy. She learned it later in life from her husband. -My love? I'm so cold.-

And she immediately fell back to sleep. Mara wept for joy to hear Lannia say anything. Mara didn't know draconic, but she had heard the couple speak to each other in it. She patted Lannia's hand and muttered, "Oh thank the Gods... It's such a treasure to hear yer voice, Lani. Rest now."

The women left the shaman sleeping, hopeful for the first time in weeks that it might just be okay.
Lannia Tannen - Bunnybow the vicious, scourge to tasty animals and talker to snarky spirit dogs.
Linela Fyar - Fey Bard.
artemitavik

A few hours after this episode on the beach, there is a flash of teleportation light near the Last Anchor as Derik and companions that had left a day or two earlier, including the Bardess Iris, Niyressa and Lylan who board at the Anchor and have often been seen traveling with Derik, Dove the Gentle Guide, and Teris the Druid, materialize.

Derik thanks those with him and enters the Anchor moving through the main room with slow, tired movements. In the last 4 days he had perhaps a total of 9 hours of sleep. The staff greeted him, but did not stop him as he descended the stairs to the meeting room, then through the office to the suite he shared. There he found Lannia, wrapped in warm blanket, asleep on the bed.

"Na'qpote." He addressed the empty room. "I know you can hear me. It was Twi this whole time. I don't know if you could have told me that earlier, but Twi was trying to force his way into her soul as her spirit guide. He's weakened now."

"And he's all yours..."

He pulled a chair over to the bedside, taking Lannia's left hand in his and kissing the fingers of the sleeping woman tenderly.

"I'm here, Turtledove..." he whispered to her. "I will always be here..." Holding her hand, his eyes closed, and soon he was asleep in the chair.
Last edited by artemitavik on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Braithreachas Leomhainn
Tiberis79

Unread post by Tiberis79 »

Her left hand closed around his gently, though both were soundly asleep. A howl was heard, echoing across the spirit realm as the great hunter, Na'qpote, began his vengeful hunt.
Lannia Tannen - Bunnybow the vicious, scourge to tasty animals and talker to snarky spirit dogs.
Linela Fyar - Fey Bard.
artemitavik

DM Gargoyle wrote:
Beach Party!
As night settles over Ulgoth's Beard a thick fog rolls over the shore, the air is heavy, cold, and quiet.
Many of the locals have retired for the night, and sailors drink in the taverns.
One poor soul enjoying the night alone fish on the beach finds his life cut short at the end of a blade,
pirates quietly beach a few small boats along the coast line before the silence was broken.
Cannon fire hails down over the town and pirates begin to set building on fire. Alarm gongs ring out the call to arms, beckons burn signaling the attack. People flee in a panic screaming and hiding, the local guard try to hold off the attackers as long as they can,
however things go south very quickly as some of the pirates conjure dark powers.

Finally others come to the aid of the town, from near by islands and tradeways these brave souls assist in fighting back against the waves of Pirates.
Between the waves of pirates the ship at sea fires more and more shots of cannon fire clearing the beach for the next wave.
Dragging on into the night a few gather together in hopes to take the fight to them,
taking one of the last boats on the beach 5 souls board the boat and sail out to the pirate's ship.

Aboard the ship a skeleton crew fights the five however are easily defeated.
Strange how so many attack the beach and yet there are none on the ship,
only the markings of some sort of arcane or Infernal text on the floors and walls. . .
Finally two of the five leap from the ship into the water, another two jump out of reaction just before cannon fire rains over the ship.
One shot crashes though the railing of the ship hitting the dwarf and blasting him over the side of the ship.
Injured and confused all five manage to swim back to shore. Another ship turns and sail away into the mist, just as the sun begins to rise.

“It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure,
and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating."

Jack Handey
During this attack Derik Ranloss would be seen, flaming sword in hand, holding a line near the Last Anchor with whatever other residents and staff of the Last Anchor would join him, allowing townsfolk to flee past to the relative safety of the inn or to the cliffs behind the town.

After the immediate threat was done and the adventurers were making counter attack, Derik and two bouncers, his bartender, and custodian in the least would aid in putting out the fires that had been started. The other residents of the Anchor would be left to either watch those taking shelter or assist as they saw fit.

The Anchor would open its door the next couple of days to provide food and shelter for those in need from the town while their homes were repaired. If necessary, the Ranlosses would offer financial assistance for materials.

((thank you DM Gargoyle for responding to my inquiry quickly about being able to react to your wonderful post))

Braithreachas Leomhainn
artemitavik

Several notices are posted about:

Come One, Come All

This month on the 15th the Last Anchor in Ulgoth's Beard will be hosting a Late Harvest/Early Solstice party!

All are welcome to attend. Food and drink will be provided at no cost! Some of the furniture will be removed to make a dancing area and all bards who wish to perform will be paid 1,000 gold provided their songs are season-appropriate.

The party will begin by ((19:30 GMT)), but don't let that stop you! Come early if you like, enjoy fun, food, and song at the Last Anchor!

Feel free to contact Derik Ranloss, proprietor, with any questions.
((the Parchment option doesn't seem to be working, sorry about the view. :) ))

Braithreachas Leomhainn
artemitavik

Fresh Posters and such are put up announcing the upcoming party at the Last Anchor:

Braithreachas Leomhainn
artemitavik

The Winter Solstice and Harvest Festival at the Last Anchor was a smashing success this day. It was the first day in nearly a month and a half that one of the Proprietors, Lannia Ranloss, was seen in any lengthy social contact since her mysterious illness at the beginning of last month.
She was seen dancing the day away and socializing with many of the visitors that came by. As many as 20 to 25 people were at the Anchor at any given time during the celebration and it had an overall attendance of well over 30 party goers, socialites, and adventurers both known and unknown.

There was a great deal of dancing and performances by the Sun Elf known as Lylan, of course the famed Iris Sorin who played the vast majority of the night, there was even a song played by the Proprietor, Derik Ranloss, towards the end of the night. But only one because he didn't want to torture anyone for long.

There were rumored a few incidents, one older bloke seemed to be taken to the Gate for medical attention and one or two people were asked to leave the party due to one reason or the other, but overall the party was a good time had by all who attended.

Half of the leftovers from the party were donated as a special treat to the Northern Watch and were gifted to their Command Wren Di'Corvi. The other half were taken to the villagers that did not manage to attend the festival and distributed out so that all who wanted a meal could have one as long as the supplies lasted.

Imagerussian image hosting

((Thank you SOOOO much for everyone who came by today, it was a fantastic event! I hope you all had as much fun as we did!))

Braithreachas Leomhainn
Ithilan

Unread post by Ithilan »

The itinerant silverstar Shandril Brightmantle is seen entering the anchor at the first light of dawn on the 3rd of Hammer in the Year of the Harp, 1355 by DR. Carrying naught but a bundle and her lantern, she greets those present with a warm and broad smile. Her inquiries are brief, yet she asks if Derik or Lannia is present and relinquishes she is looking for a bit of friendly advice, as well as dropping off a bundle of freshly caught fish by her betrothed.

She stays through the early hours of dawn and departs before mid day approaches, wandering about the hamlet of Ulgoth's beard conversing with the locals and offering her meager priestly abilities to those in need.
Shandril Brightmantle
"Life is but a mystery to revel in, let the stars guide you through the mist."
Lia'Dris Maendellyn
"We remember cities now in ruin and forests murdered, yet still we sing to the stars and hope for renewal."
artemitavik

*A note is taken by John the Bartender for Derik and Lannia, who are currently unavailable, but John finds it likely either one or both will seek out Shandril soon after being given the note*

Braithreachas Leomhainn

Return to “Sword Coast Roleplay”