Celebrating 20 Years of Baldur's Gate

Off-Topic Community Conversations and Discussions

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Maecius
Retired Admin

Celebrating 20 Years of Baldur's Gate

Unread post by Maecius »

Art by Mat Heldwein

As some of you may already know, today marked the 20th anniversary of the release of the original Baldur's Gate:

https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-anniversary/

Baldur's Gate: The Sword Coast Chronicles (BG:TSCC) was created 10 years after Baldur's Gate's release, in 2008, and was in so many ways an homage to this game (and the games that came after it, including the Icewind Dale series and Baldur's Gate II). It remains an homage today, with many familiar maps, dungeons, and non-player characters from the 1998 game making appearances on our server.

BG:TSCC went from alpha into open beta around the start of 2009 -- and 2019 will be the year we celebrate 10 years of mainstream NWN2 success, as that was the year we opened to the general public and really started to attract people to the server. From alpha, to a very long open beta, to today, BG:TSCC has tried to both honor the game on which it is based (e.g., it's the reason Candlekeep's colors are blue instead of the canon-lore-based mauve), as well as to allow the world to shift away from that game -- and the canon timeline -- in response to player actions (in true D&D fashion).

But whatever our version of the Sword Coast looks like by the time Sarevok is hatching his master plans, one thing remains certain, and that is that we owe a great deal of our inspiration as a server to this 1998 masterpiece. As such, I felt it appropriate to briefly acknowledge its anniversary today. I won't overstate its impact on gaming, or RPGs, or D&D, or anything else; the articles out about it do that for me already. But there is no denying the huge role it played in creating our little slice of Faerûn here at BG:TSCC!
TeoDeathDealer

Re: Celebrating 20 Years of Baldur's Gate

Unread post by TeoDeathDealer »

Having been here since close to the beginning, I wish to recognize the great work done by all the staff and players who've made BGTSCC the best NWN2 server ever. Its been one hell of a journey and I wish BGTSCC the best for the next 10 years! *Raises a mug of ale* :clap:
TeoDeathDealer
Teo, What lies beneath is hidden for a reason
Angel, Swabby and cook for the DragonWing
Missy, Knight General of the Order of the Rose
Lea Littlefoot, Knight in training and ranger of the Order
Jerel, The eyes are indeed a window to the soul
Pan-some
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Pan-some »

I second...That!!!!
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

artemitavik

Unread post by artemitavik »

Baldur's Gate was one of THE most amazing games....

I loved it.

I still love it... though it is, admittedly, a bit hard to hack and slash through now. Life only got better with BG2 :D
Derik "Crimson Bulwark" Ranloss: Thugging for GREAT JUSTICE!!! (yes, I know he doesn't wear red)
Headmaster:Bladestone Foundation.
Owner:The Last Anchor

Braithreachas Leomhainn
"My purpose is to shed blood for those who can't, and to bleed for those who shouldn't."
Ravial

Unread post by Ravial »

"I sometimes wonder if Ravial is actually rav'ialquessir irl" ~ Colonic 2017

~Viridiana Lydhaer - Retired. Silverymoon!
~Arundae Dyraalis - Retired.
~Amaevael Laelyssil - Retired, Selu'Taar on Evermeet
~Laeria Amarillis - #HideThePainLaeria

Ravial ~ By CommanderKrieg ~
Maecius
Retired Admin

Unread post by Maecius »

:lol: I feel like we should recreate this vaguely awkward picture with BG:TSCC staff.
Hawke

Unread post by Hawke »

Thanks Maecius, now I am feeling really old! LMAO!

I think I finished my second tour through Bosnia when this came out.

Return to “Community”