Add Color Coding to BG:TSCC?

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Would you like to see color coding added to the BG:TSCC server?

Yes.
84%
Yes, but only on map notes.
8%
Yes, but only on NPCS.
No votes
No.
8%

Total votes: 38

Maecius
Retired Admin

Add Color Coding to BG:TSCC?

Unread post by Maecius »

Hi BG:TSCC!

The DEV team has proposed an idea that they feel may benefit players (especially newcomers): color coding!

If implemented, staff would aim to make this as natural as possible when visiting areas but also clear enough so that you can tell the difference between a quest giver NPC and a commoner NPC, for example. Since this change impacts players the most, we're looking for direct player input on whether this feature would be helpful or not.

With maps, the goal would be to differentiate between guildhalls, dungeons, and important locations on map markers. Normal transitions (like from the Palace District to the East Gate district), shrines, and other small markers would not be color coded so as to make exploration still viable and interesting. Example:

Hidden: show

For NPCs, the goal would be to highlight their names with a certain color according to their purpose: Quest givers, storage, shops and those types of NPCs would be highlighted in a consistent manner and regular commoners’ names will still appear white. Example:

Hidden: show

Please cast your vote and let us know if you, as a community, would like to see this feature implemented in the future. Implementation would be a somewhat labor-intensive process, so this would not happen overnight either way. But this poll will help us to determine whether it is something worth doing at all.
VDub

Re: Add Color Coding to BG:TSCC?

Unread post by VDub »

Don't use yellow. I see yellow on an NPC and all I'm thinkin is, "That sucker has a loot bag. Kill it!"
Solomon, Luckbringer of Tymora ~ A copper to the Lady, returns tenfold in gold!!
Dartryn Mallocant, Evoker Mage ~ "Do you have time to talk about magic?"
Traegan Daershun, Archer of the Whitewood Vanguard ~ "Of course we'll help...for a price."
izzul

Unread post by izzul »

VDub wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:50 pm Don't use yellow. I see yellow on an NPC and all I'm thinkin is, "That sucker has a loot bag. Kill it!"
lol, yellow often depicts big boss, boss, and dynamic spawn leader aside from the purple. voted!
Last edited by izzul on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azzizuleia Tyrielmrande-[Permadeath PC]
Eilondruil Eldanyar-Corellon Larethian[Battle Historian]
Iz Azul-Red Knight[Active]
Krueger-Trader viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56617
Mystera Electra-Mystra[Goat Girl]

"give to yourself, took from others-Integrity and Justice"
Winterborne

Unread post by Winterborne »

I love this idea but I also second the don't use yellow. Although maybe that would make it attractive for questgivers, but I'd instinctively think "I bet he drops a copper ring."
Nathan Goldenmane - Guardian of Ilmater's Sanctuary, Mercy's Blade

Steward and Head of Business, House Darius -
Miasmata
Retired Admin

Unread post by Miasmata »

Thanks for the feedback on using the color gold/yellow/etc! It's a good idea to stray away from it and we'll be sure to take that into consideration if this is what the player base thinks is a good idea and we decide to implement it.

Keep that feedback coming!
Last edited by Miasmata on Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
KOPOJIbPAKOB
Retired Staff

Unread post by KOPOJIbPAKOB »

Before dynamic spawns were implemented, golden text was used for Underdark questgivers (and is used still), so let's make all questgivers golden, it's about time! I vote for everything, all looks amazing.
(\/);,;(\/)

Discord: Nastya Raynor#3136

Pink is me speaking on behalf of the Media Team, everything else is just my player opinion.
Heretic

Unread post by Heretic »

Yes. I desperately want this in my life. While you're at it is it possible to color code the numerical damage indicators above my characters head so I can distinguish between when my PC or my foe is taking damage?
Glowfire

Unread post by Glowfire »

Voted yes. The Underdark already has this, apart from the coloured coded maps. I don't feel strongly about the maps but the NPCs are certainly useful. Especially since there's so many "false merchants" around. Merchants who don't sell anything and don't even have a conversation.

I'd suggest that the devs working on this look around in Sshamath so that it can be consistent across the whole server, even if that would mean some things in Sshamath might need to change.
Power is the most persuasive rhetoric.
Friedrich von Schiller
electric mayhem

Unread post by electric mayhem »

I'd like to hope some specific guild halls built around intrigue will not be map marked...

But otherwise, cool!

Didn't think it was that hard getting around the server and finding everything though. Find people, ask them ICly and let your character learn.

~Claret - Proprietor of Clarity Cellars.
~Wouveir - Hellstorm Crew
~Adolamin Marblerune - Arcane Engineer and Lorekeeper citizen of the Kingdom of Kraak Helzak. [His Story]
~Harrison Remillard - Morninglord of the Song of the Morning Temple.

Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

Abstain.
AlwaysSummer Day
Recognized Donor

Unread post by AlwaysSummer Day »

Eh I'd really only want it on quest giver/merchant NPC's. If it is going to be a lot of work though don't bother.
Roland; svirfneblin fist of the forest and eco terrorist.
Heinrich Von Rittermark; Everwatch Knights of Helm
Frederick Von Rittermark; Paladin of Azuth/Mystra
Erik Von Rittermark; Unknown
Maecius
Retired Admin

Unread post by Maecius »

It looks like the player base is overwhelmingly in favor of this, so I'll give the dev team the go-ahead to move forward on it. As noted, it won't be an overnight thing. Just something to update as we work on improving our maps wholesale across the server.

Return to “General Discussion”