Keen for Bows?

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories
Sanguini

Keen for Bows?

Unread post by Sanguini »

Would it be possible to make an item like the Lodestone/Whetstone for ranged weapons or arrows? Maybe like...a Jar of Special Wax for bowstrings, Or some sort of oil for a stack of arrows to make them Keen?

I'm getting Improved Critical eventually, but it'd still be nice.
Tsidkenu

Re: Keen for Bows?

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

I don't think ranged weapons can receive any of these properties mechanically unless the spells are changed (or a new spell developed) to work with ranged weaponry. I'm not even certain you can make a 'keen' ranged weapon in the toolset.
Mallore

Unread post by Mallore »

I believe you can make Keen ammunition in the tookset. Such as Keen arrows and Keen Bolts.

This would also be more in like with 3.0-3.5 rule set which to my recall and not quoting.... such things can not be put on the weapon usually and only on the ammunition. Further that is why by technical rules no bow is +1 enchanted. It is +1 attack. And it is the arrow that is +1 enchanted.

Further means a bow it self for the most part can not get though dr requiring such states.. ((unless your using it as a club)) and it’s only the ammunition in most cases that does negate the dr. This is to affirm a boy does not simply being a state imbune that state upon the ammunition and vice versa.

Sorry if that’s more detail then asked. This is as I recall with our page quote.
Jane of Here and There (Jane Price)

...also

Jennifer and A Drow.
Endelyon

Unread post by Endelyon »

The engine won't respect keen as an item property on anything ranged.
Ghost
Global Admin

Unread post by Ghost »

There are items that grant permanent improved critical feat for some ranged weapons.
sir_blacksoutalot
Recognized Donor

Unread post by sir_blacksoutalot »

There are items that grant permanent improved critical feat for some ranged weapons.
That's mightily nebulous... :roll:

Care to elaborate on a couple/few examples? Inquiring minds would like to know!

|> Glymuldor Gryxulmyr — Moon Elf Shadowmancer
|> Voskul Gloamfathom — Genasi Shadow Archer
|> Vyrana Ravenmoor — Priestess of Misfortune
|> Grum Grognazdiak — Dwarven Trickster
izzul

Unread post by izzul »

sir_blacksoutalot wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:36 pm
That's mightily nebulous... :roll:

Care to elaborate on a couple/few examples? Inquiring minds would like to know!
Elven archer bracer
bonus feat: power critical longbow
+2 dexterity
+3 listen
+3 spot

Widowmaker, greater widowmaker, Epic Widowmaker(not sure if this is in game or not)
bonus feat: improve critical longbow, bonus feat: power critical longbow

belted quiver of supreme skill
bonus feat: improve critical light Xbow, heavy Xbow
Azzizuleia Tyrielmrande-[Permadeath PC]
Eilondruil Eldanyar-Corellon Larethian[Battle Historian]
Iz Azul-Red Knight[Active]
Krueger-Trader viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56617
Mystera Electra-Mystra[Goat Girl]

"give to yourself, took from others-Integrity and Justice"
Wolfrayne
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Wolfrayne »

Power Critical is just +4 to confirm the hit is a critical hit which is basicly a +4 to attack on the second roll its not increasing the threat range. If i remember correctly its

Roll attack - Crit - Confirm Roll (This has to beat the AC) - AC beat = Critical/ AC miss = Normal hit.

Technically you should be able to put Keen/Impact on Ammo

http://dungeons-and-dragons-35.wikia.com/wiki/Keen_Edge
http://dnd.arkalseif.info/spells/spell- ... act--4763/
Reiker Vexx - "Fortune favors the bold"
Cyrus Raviin - "Veritas Credo Oculos"
Ghost
Global Admin

Unread post by Ghost »

It's possible that you might be able to make ammunition in the toolset with the feat. I don't know - never tried. You'd be locked to using that ammunition, though and when it runs out, the feat is gone. It'd also be ridiculously expensive, I think. Static feats tend to ramp up the price of items.
Sanguini

Unread post by Sanguini »

Well, like I said, how about some sort of "Arrow Oil" with 50 charges for a stack of arrows? The Whetstone and Lodestone last about 45 minutes, 500 arrows lasts about 30 minutes with continuous firing so it could work just fine.
sir_blacksoutalot
Recognized Donor

Unread post by sir_blacksoutalot »

Well, like I said, how about some sort of "Arrow Oil" with 50 charges for a stack of arrows? The Whetstone and Lodestone last about 45 minutes, 500 arrows lasts about 30 minutes with continuous firing so it could work just fine.
Dev team, any chance this might actually work? Would love to something like keen implemented for bows... it at all possible. Could it use a mechanic similar to applying poison?

|> Glymuldor Gryxulmyr — Moon Elf Shadowmancer
|> Voskul Gloamfathom — Genasi Shadow Archer
|> Vyrana Ravenmoor — Priestess of Misfortune
|> Grum Grognazdiak — Dwarven Trickster
Wyatt
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Wyatt »

Moved to suggestion forum
*Yellow text means the marshall is in town*

Characters:
The Copper Fox - Scoundrel and Sailor, in that order.
Ol' Ran'll Cobb
Kellan Armstrong - Deacon of Lathander
Endelyon

Endelyon wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:38 am The engine won't respect keen as an item property on anything ranged.
I don't know what the suggestion is outside of adding a keen property on bows, which as I mentioned previously simply can't be done. The engine doesn't allow it to work even if you force the property on the item.
Endelyon

I'm an idiot. DM Ghost made me aware of a way to do this by putting Imp Critical on the item instead of Keen.

However, I don't think adding it to an item is a great idea, as I similarly dislike the whetstones and the lodestones and would actually like to see them removed since they essentially amount to "a free feat for everyone" and the properties from them can't be dispelled.

What I would suggest, instead, is perhaps a character researching a spell that temporarily adds an "Improved Critical" feat to a ranged weapon. We haven't had many characters research buffing spells, and I think this would be an interesting spell research to see!
Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 »

Endelyon wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:08 amHowever, I don't think adding it to an item is a great idea, as I similarly dislike the whetstones and the lodestones and would actually like to see them removed since they essentially amount to "a free feat for everyone" and the properties from them can't be dispelled.

What I would suggest, instead, is perhaps a character researching a spell that temporarily adds an "Improved Critical" feat to a ranged weapon. We haven't had many characters research buffing spells, and I think this would be an interesting spell research to see!
Oh no, another nerf to non-casting builds - while on the other side allmighty casters get even more power. :doh:
If anything remove the keen edge and weapon of impact.

Adding i-crit (powercritical) items for each weapon could be a solution. (Like that i-crit kukri belt or that i-crit longbow bracer,....)
As this would add it only to one specfic weapontype and not for all weapons like the wet/load stones and the spells.

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”