Picking up petrified creatures?

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Ewe

Picking up petrified creatures?

Unread post by Ewe »

So there's no point in asking why the feature to pick up petrified creatures into your inventory as statues between 11-100lbs made it to the top of the development list. What's developed is developed.

I just am wondering, what would you guys use this for? I'm struggling with this, because I think bringing enemies to town whether or not they are petrified seems like it's probably illegal -- or at least allows for a Trojan Horse fiasco. Moreover, many PCs wouldn't be able to cart around such heavy statues due to strength scores; it seems a bit awkward RP-wise for a PC to have a motivation to do this anyways.

Can anyone think of any good ideas to do with this new feature power-gaming, RP, or otherwise?

I was thinking possibly you can collect creatures and later drop them, un-petrify them, and then dominate them for use in battle or RP. In this fashion it would be sort of like a pokemon collecting and battling system.

*edit* I thought up a new thing to do with it. You could in theory setup a ring or barricade of statues surrounding your PC. This would allow you to attack the white dragon from range where he would be unable to attack due to not being able to get into melee from all the statues in the way.
AKA Dae-Glyth
Discord: Dae-Glyth#1759
Zethrenx99

Re: Picking up petrified creatures?

Unread post by Zethrenx99 »

It could be a stepping stone (if not already) to transporting petrified allies out of harmful areas to get them cured by more gifted arcanists? I could find that to be particularly handy in one of my more recent episodes.
Keneki Koga- Fighting his inner devil. RETIRED
Emma Sxn'Tubxs- Suppressing her emotions.Theme!
Yuki- Probably sniffing you from a distance.
Varus Montell- Probably blowing himself up with a new bomb
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Unread post by mrm3ntalist »

Is this in game? :o
IS EMOTIONAL KEKW - GIT GUD

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

Spelling mistakes are purposely entered for your entertainment!
Raivana
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Raivana »

Ewe wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:24 am So there's no point in asking why the feature to pick up petrified creatures into your inventory as statues between 11-100lbs made it to the top of the development list. What's developed is developed.

I just am wondering, what would you guys use this for? I'm struggling with this, because I think bringing enemies to town whether or not they are petrified seems like it's probably illegal -- or at least allows for a Trojan Horse fiasco. Moreover, many PCs wouldn't be able to cart around such heavy statues due to strength scores; it seems a bit awkward RP-wise for a PC to have a motivation to do this anyways.

Can anyone think of any good ideas to do with this new feature power-gaming, RP, or otherwise?

I was thinking possibly you can collect creatures and later drop them, un-petrify them, and then dominate them for use in battle or RP. In this fashion it would be sort of like a pokemon collecting and battling system.

*edit* I thought up a new thing to do with it. You could in theory setup a ring or barricade of statues surrounding your PC. This would allow you to attack the white dragon from range where he would be unable to attack due to not being able to get into melee from all the statues in the way.
Isabella recently suggested the idea of turning my character to stone till a cure for the poison can be found.. Raivan wanted to be left at the Hall fo inner Light in the feast hall while in a dancing pose so that ppl can dance with her and she can.. sorta watch and be there during her festival.. lol.. They might not want her to stay though.. There is reason for it to be used I suppose.

Guess it all depends on how creative you are.
"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here."
Darkcloud777

Unread post by Darkcloud777 »

One thing for sure, if your petrified you will not be teleported with the party... I would love that at the very least to be fixed.
Terri Lalani
Administrator of Phoenix Company
Wolfrayne
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Wolfrayne »

Its fun and interesting and was turned off cause i kept crashing the server with it :D although i think once the problem is fixed and its back it will be of great amusement :)
Reiker Vexx - "Fortune favors the bold"
Cyrus Raviin - "Veritas Credo Oculos"
AlwaysSummer Day
Recognized Donor

Unread post by AlwaysSummer Day »

I really dislike this. People walking around with literal giants in their pockets is extremely immersion breaking for me.
Roland; svirfneblin fist of the forest and eco terrorist.
Heinrich Von Rittermark; Everwatch Knights of Helm
Frederick Von Rittermark; Paladin of Azuth/Mystra
Erik Von Rittermark; Unknown
Zethrenx99

Unread post by Zethrenx99 »

AlwaysSummer Day wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:20 pm I really dislike this. People walking around with literal giants in their pockets is extremely immersion breaking for me.
You might be playing the wrong setting then as humans can carry over 1400 lbs on their back and be fine >.> Not to mention the literal armory people have in their backpacks.
Keneki Koga- Fighting his inner devil. RETIRED
Emma Sxn'Tubxs- Suppressing her emotions.Theme!
Yuki- Probably sniffing you from a distance.
Varus Montell- Probably blowing himself up with a new bomb
Blackman D
Retired Staff

Unread post by Blackman D »

that actually would have been great back in the day honestly

back when drow use to raid the surface i turned izzy into a stone statue and captured him, we rp'd carrying his statue back to town but of course had to undo it so he could actually walk, but we were ambushed by his friends who fought to get him back and i had to go ooc when someone had grabbed him and explain izzy was still a statue which they went along with without issue and we continued to have fun fighting

they ultimately won back izzy but my toon was evil and didnt care anyway, she just had to keep up appearances :P
everyone is evil till proven otherwise
DiceyCZ
Quality Control

Unread post by DiceyCZ »

Well as for carrying statues, you can always shrink at least humanoid creatures with Reduce Person, it would be nice if this interacted with the weight of the item, though I am yet to try any of it. Not sure if this works only on NPCs or also PCs but it's very cool magic for RP....everything doesn't have to be for the glory of PB. Anyways what I mean is, now you can actually turn an enemy during DM event into stone and carry it somewhere for interrogation unlike before having to deal with them on the spot (Yes my character already used/attempted this many times). If it worked on PCs (with some time limit I presume/agreement) then the answer is easy....best prison - remember all those figurine people in witcher? Hehe. Etc...really it can be used in plenty RP situations, saving comrades without having to "break them to pieces and revive" would be a great use, if it can be done to PC.

Just reading through the comments there's one thing worth mentioning probably...seems people don't realy get that flesh to stone is not paralysis but a COMPLETE tissue fossilization. So nothing works including your brain until the magic is reserved, while I suspect this could technically work as suspended animation, the stone can't be "chipped off from around the person" and you probably shouldn't feel or remember anything that happened to you....just a little sidenote, sorry :)

I for one love that we are adding RP things like that! Cudos team.
Niyressa Dawncrow (bio) - Head Magus, Bladestone Foundation
"Magic is Chaos, Art, and Science. It is a curse, a blessing, and progress. It all depends on who uses magic, how they use it, and to what purpose. And magic is everywhere. All around us.” - Yennefer
AlwaysSummer Day
Recognized Donor

Zethrenx99 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:19 pm
AlwaysSummer Day wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:20 pm I really dislike this. People walking around with literal giants in their pockets is extremely immersion breaking for me.
You might be playing the wrong setting then as humans can carry over 1400 lbs on their back and be fine >.> Not to mention the literal armory people have in their backpacks.
Sure, but an 8 strength wizard cannot carry 1500 lbs. A normal hill giant weighs 1400 before being turned into stone. Frost Giants weigh 2800. To hell with it though my fire genasi Frost mage of grumbar will have three.
Wolfrayne
Recognized Donor

Just so you know i turned a dragon in to stone and it only weighs 200lb.
AlwaysSummer Day
Recognized Donor

You aren't the first.
Wolfrayne
Recognized Donor

I personally dont see the problem with it. its something different, a bit of fun and still perfectly acceptable within the realm of possibilities.
Xorena

Unread post by Xorena »

Can you put the creature down and have it look like a creature instead of a bag on the ground?
Eroica Hersbrucker, dungeon scout and hired blade

Helpful references:
Complete arcane spell list.

Return to “General Discussion”