Jay Lewis - Corvidae Cyanocitta Cristata

Your characters' general information and background/origin should go here.

Moderators: Moderator, DM

AgentOrange

Jay Lewis - Corvidae Cyanocitta Cristata

Unread post by AgentOrange »

First Name: Jay
Middle Name: Benjamin
Last Name: Lewis
(Formerly Justinian Benjamin Longfellow.)
Nicknames: Bluejay, Jaybird, The One-Eyed Rager Snake, Warmonger.

Appearance:
Race: Tiefling.
Birthday: 3 Tarsakh 1329 DR, Year of the Lost Helm. An arean son of the thaw, born to an Ilmateri priestess.
Height 5"8.
Weight: 172 lbs. Just broad enough to avoid looking lean or wiry; musculature upon a small bone structure. A man shorter and thinner than his warrior ilk. He has nice abs and lots of ink, so he gets away with it..
Eyes: His right eye is blood red. His left is jet black, the iris indiscernible from the pupil. Following the loss of his left eye, he wore a patch for five months, refusing any offers of regeneration in order to uphold his Tyrran oath, even after he converted to Helm. During a high-risk mission to Dragonspear, he was grievously injured and Greil Nightgale cast a spell of regeneration on him, which caused his left eye to regrow.
Hair: Light grey.
Skin: Alabaster. Slightly ashen.
Facial Hair Style: Stubble. A 5 o'clock shadow.
Ink:
-On the left side of his neck, a red heart impaled through the center by a closed, downwards-facing umbrella.
-On the back of his left hand, an upright white knight chesspiece outlined in black. On the back of right, a fallen black pawn.
-A cerberus rattlesnake coiled around the entire length of his left arm. The serpent's spade-like head is at the inside of his wrist, nose nudging the heel of his palm. The rattler extends across his shoulder blade. This is one of his better pieces, each scale done in painstaking detail.
-A whole back piece depicting a battle scene between Triadic forces and demons, mostly nude succubi getting impaled by spears and avengers. The snake's rattler on his left shoulder blade presides over it in the sky, the random melding of dual tattoos.
-On his left pectoral, the black silhouette of a dog with pointed ears. Beneath that, in blockhead calligraphy: SIR SNIFFALOT.
-Below his navel, across his lower abdomen, a cartoonish fighting rooster with talons replaced by blades and face contorted in rage.
-A lewd, naked pin-up girls on either butt cheek.
(There would be a lot more, but these are all that I have thought of thus far. His body is a canvas covered in tattoos ranging from trashy and not very well done to beautiful works of art inked upon pale flesh.)

At a glance: Jay bears the accoutrements of a bounty hunter, or trafficker. Probably the former. Traps and manacles are affixed to his belt, and a chain is slung diagonally across his torso.

On uniforms: Jay always took little care of them, and this attitude earned him several demerits during his prior military service. Even still, he's oft unkemp, armor merely functional; utilitarian like the man it adorns. Any occasion for which the albino tiefling needs to dress up will garner grumbling and resistance.

A dog of war:
-Jay now uses a well-crafted halberd with an axeblade and a long, sharp pike at the end of it. This type of weapon is more often associated with guards and shock troops, rather then knights and heroes.
-He also has a battleaxe and round shield with runes of Uthgardt origin upon the axehilt and the shield's surface. The shield features an etching of a stylized horse, or pony. Those closely familiar with the nuances of the Uthgardt tribes would know this as Sky Pony. These items were gifted to him by his stepfather (see Family below), though it can be easily assumed that Jay may have scavenged them.
-His longbow is unimpressive and he can't hit the broad side of a barn due to poor marksmanship skills (he does try sometimes, bless his heart), but he occasionally uses it in melee because bowstrings make for hilarious weapons.
-His dark red breastplate is battered but still serviceable, like the man it adorns. Functional. Utilitarian. He still takes good care of it, keeping it polished and clean of dirt and grime--better care than he takes of himself, some would say. Chain links are visible between armor panels, allowing for more maneuverability than a full set of plate would. A small symbol of Helm is sewn to his left bracer.

Personality Profile:
General Health: Good. Battle scars aplenty.
Deity: Helm, primarily.
Initial Alignment: True Neutral, not to be confused with apathetic.
Profession: Soldier. Veteran. War criminal. Mercenary. Bounty hunter. Fallen paladin. Failure. Woodsman. Tracker. Commander.
Base Class & Proposed Development: 30 Barbarian.
Habits/Hobbies: Chain-smoking. Killing his liver by attrition with whiskey. Succumbing to fits of internalized desolation. Interjecting gallows humor into anything and everything. Not comprehending figurative language. Compartmentalizing. Trying to uphold some sort of an oath. Losing gold in gambling dens. Losing bar brawls. Not knowing or caring how to speak nicely to anyone. Infuriating members of the fairer sex. Doing things his way, even if his way is stupid. Making everything worse.
Languages: Common, Abyssal, Illuskan.
Accent: Illuskan.
Weapon of Choice: Halberd, see above.
Current residence: Sometimes a rented room at the Elfsong Tavern. Sometimes at the Northern Lights in Nashkel. Sometimes wherever he pitches a tent. Settle down, it's a camping tent.
Flaws: Greedy; selfish; morose; uptight; preachy; moralistic; abrasive; standoffish; often rude; stubborn; misogynistic; self-deceptive; self-medicating; resorts to barracks banter in everyday conversation with more refined company; lacks empathy for those he does not know well or feel invested in; possessing an absolutely terrifying temper (though thankfully a long fuse to reach this point).
Strengths: Fiercely loyal to those he holds close; monogamist (but he is romance: hard mode); punctual; a mind for tactics; a versatile sense of humor; not quick to anger; exhibits self-restraint and temperance; industrious; possessing true grit; aloofly altruistic.
Strength and weakness: Jay's ruthless pragmatism is a double-edged sword. He is not above allying himself with unsavory people for the greater good, or making judgement calls he deems the lesser of two evils. This attitude has caused some of the more goodly members of his faith to look upon him with suspicion; in turn, Jay believes them naive, or lacking the conviction to take action. The restless, impatient need to get the job done even if it comes with a hefty price may beget dangerous consequences, or a slippery slope. "I can live with a conscience torn asunder if it buys us a better tomorrow." Jay is also highly independent. In spite of factional and personal loyalties, he remains a lone wolf. This quality has come with the detrimental side-effects of hindering the growth of interpersonal relationships, and creating barriers for the intimate companionship he longs for in the abstract.

Family:
-Emma Longfellow, mother. Albino. Thrown out of her house when she entered a relationship with a tiefling, who then abandoned her shortly after she became pregnant. Her family would not accept back the mother of a fiendspawn, telling her she was no daughter of theirs, so she sought refuge amongst Ilmater's faithful. Within a few years, she joined the priesthood. While Jay will let most insults roll off him, "bastard" seems to stir tremendous ire within.
-Romulus Kildare, mentor and stepfather. Paladin of Tyr. Decorated combat veteran. Married Emma Longfellow when Jay was six years old. Formerly Askold Liefsen of Sky Pony, prior to being exiled from his tribe at a young age.

Background:
-Following a misbegotten campaign in The Spine, he renounced his vows by choice. It was a maneuver he saw as taking back his agency and abandoning a hopeless battle against his own nature.
-He was the sole survivor of his unit. The loss of his platoon, as well as the loyal warhound he had raised from puppyhood, Sir Sniffalot, sent him into an existential crisis, a tailspin.
-He fell because his vows were shackles. He fell because they killed his dog. The destruction of Sir Sniffalot is a figurehead for the decimation of his platoon. Wrought with survivor's guilt and traumatic memory, he started down a dark path that eventually led to his fall from grace, and a tactical decision that resulted in the deaths of civilians, followed by his shameful expulsion from the Order which he served.
-He now believes that sometimes you must get your hands dirty for a cleaner outcome, or break the law to do the right thing. When the system fails, go rogue.
-During his time as a freelance bounty hunter, he operated in and around The Spine of the World, never staying in one place for too long. His "home base" was Luskan. Round up fugitives. Haul them back. See justice done, in one form or another. Get paid.
-Rarely was he willing to team up with another, preferring to work alone. The few times he partnered turned out to be deeply regrettable.
-Spent days, weeks, months on the chase across the frozen North.
(More soon.)

Goals:
-If push comes to shove, he will try to do the right thing. He may take a circuitous route to arrive at this conclusion. However, gold is his love language. These two intrinsic traits oft cause internal conflict.
-Traveled from the Spine to help with the war against the devils to the north of Baldur's Gate. As usual, he was late to the party, but there's coin to be made in the cleanup, and some part of him wants to pitch in.

Possible Plot-Hook Ideas and Misc Facts:
-Will deny that his drinking is a problem, or that he does it for anything other than enjoying the taste of whiskey. However, it's a problem.
-Racked up a lot of gambling and loan debt in Luskan and is vaguely fearful his that creditors might track him down around Baldur's Gate.
-Has Asperger Syndrome (undiagnosed, obviously).
-Has thalassophobia, or fear of deep water. While he wants to overcome this in theory, he succumbs to fits of abject terror when he confronts it. This caused his recent near-drowning in a cave full of troll.
-Knocked down Wisp's tent north of the Farmlands. Angered by the prank, she paid Maximilien Blackthorne to champion her in an arena brawl over the slight. Jay suffered a humiliating defeat upon the sands as a result. He maintained that the tent didn't break, it just flopped.
-Suffered another humiliating defeat in the arena at the hands of a monk who caused Jay to have a heart attack due to an almost-effective Quivering Palm, and put the albino tiefling in the infirmary for a few days. The monk was killed by one of Jay's colleagues shortly after his sudden and bizarre collapse.
-A doppleganger, or some other insidious being, assumed Jay's form, seduced Wisp, stabbed her in the back, and abducted her by way of teleportation before his very eyes. This prompted a massive, disorganized manhunt to locate Wisp. Much to Jay's irritation, everyone assumed he was the leader of the search effort. Wisp was mysteriously returned to the Halls of Inner Light, bloodied and beaten, but still clinging to life.
-Marshal of The Golden Shield, the budding private army and mercenary company of The Golden Wheel. He is proving to be a gruff, ruthless commander but a lousy recruiter because he lacks the people skills for it.
-Wrote a smut novel called "Becoming" that contains almost no plot or character development. It is for sale at The Shelf of Many Books for 75gp, but he hands out signed copies all the time. He's quite proud of his literary achievement. The inspiration for his work came from a conversation he overheard in a sketchy tavern: a young Flaming Fist private bragged, in colorful detail, to his buddies about the massive amounts of strange he got while on leave. Jay suspects that the soldier fabricated most, if not all of it. Very few people know the true origins of "Becoming."
-Has been spending more time around Soubar on his guard detail for Agent Jane Price.
-Helping to organize and oversee the construction of watchtowers and ramparts to fortify defenses at Winding Waters South.
-Was barred from The Lewd Lyre by Fingal Darius due to Jay's rescue of a rat that suffered violent abuse inside the bar room at the hands of Kitzy.
-Held a Contact Medallion to his arse and let one rip to see if he could Send a fart. To a paladin. Of the Red Knight. (#6CharismaThings.)

Consider this
Consider this
The hint of the century
Consider this
The slip that brought me
To my knees failed
What if all these fantasies
Come flailing around
Now I've said too much

-R.E.M, "Losing my Religion"

Artwork:

Jay, Jastice Tarot by Wangxiuming

Sketch by CommanderKrieg
Last edited by AgentOrange on Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:34 pm, edited 248 times in total.
.:Marietta Thairo:. Former Dreadlord. Hell on heels. Retired with her family somewhere.
Freedom will not bring a better tomorrow.
AgentOrange

Re: Jay Lewis - Corvidae Cyanocitta Cristata

Relationships and Associations:
I'm revamping this section, and assigning a song for each relationship. This is still a work in progress, and I'm having a lot of difficulty finding songs that are not about romance or breakups or unrequited love. Hence, I started with exes and love interests. If you know of any more songs about bromances or friendship, let me know.

None of them seem to be a perfect fit, but oh well!

Ursa
Hidden: show
Gloria
Snow Fox
Imperator
Venator
Last edited by AgentOrange on Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 32 times in total.
.:Marietta Thairo:. Former Dreadlord. Hell on heels. Retired with her family somewhere.
AgentOrange

Faith:
I selected a song for each diety Jay respects. None of them are a perfect match, and I may be interpreting the meanings differently than you would.

Tyr
Red Knight
Tempus
Ilmater
Sune
Sharess
Garagos
Hoar
Lathander
Selune
Last edited by AgentOrange on Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 26 times in total.
AgentOrange

The Jaylist:
"6 Underground" by Sane (Sneaker Pimps cover)
"Teardrop" by Sane (Massive Attack cover)
(Sane is good likeness for Jay's voice and Illuskan accent)
"Momma Sed" by Puscifer
"Gold Guns Girls" by Metric
"Bixby Canyon Bridge" by Death Cab for Cutie - What he wants to say to Tyr about their complicated, unhealthy relationship.
Last edited by AgentOrange on Sun May 12, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AgentOrange

OOC Stuff:
On conflict-driven RP: Yes please.
On PvP: Hard pass. NwN2's combat mechanics are boring, clunky, and glitchy. I play to write a story, not rely on some bad mechanics. If your character wants to attack mine, we're writing the scene with the help of dice rolls. Your powerbuild doesn't impress me, but your RP might.
Availability: EST, GMT -5. Most evenings. I can be around earlier in the day on some weekends.
AgentOrange

Say Cheese:
I've started taking screencaps when the lighting inspires such.

"I lost a bet."

"Tell us about your skillset."

"I don't want anyone dumping their problems on me."

"They say black is slimming."

"I'm kind of a big deal."

"I know I'm forgetting something."

"There was a spider in your tent. It's gone now."

Return to “Character Biographies”