Game of thrones RP

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Balthomer

Game of thrones RP

Unread post by Balthomer »

Is it going to stop anytime soon?

I feel like a lot of people on server feels like they are a char in the series and honestly it kills immersion for me.

Forgotten realms is supposed to be a magical place, everything is so divided and sometimes rp is self absorbed and leaves little for others to become NPCs for the chars or they jst find somewhere else to rp.

Intrigue is cool and all but its also nice to have variations!!

I know its rhe cool stuff and all the hype but not everything has to be like that, just my two cents, sometimes its fun to have goofy or lighthearted rp, as long as it fits the setting.
metaquad4

Re: Game of thrones RP

Unread post by metaquad4 »

The flavour of the month comes and goes, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I remember when Fairy Tail names were all the rage :D
aka aplethoraof

2010 - 2023 (on permanent? leave)
Playing Arelith/NWN1 now. Still on discord (aplethoraof on discord).
Young Werther

Unread post by Young Werther »

Back when I started it was House of Cards RP with the eliete Role-Players then they all quit.
Lockonnow wrote:greatest fear like the movie Hellraiser they show you what you most fear and take a Image of IT
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

I'm quite fond of Game of Thrones!

Nothing divides a community more, imho, than pissing on others' pop culture. 8-)

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Wandering_Woodsman

Unread post by Wandering_Woodsman »

Eh, I myself am behind the times so badly, I'm probably ahead of the next big thing. I have yet to see a single episode of the series, nor will I see it anytime soon, nor do I give a fig about spoilers. In short, I just don't care about it. :D

Remember Moon-shoes from the 90s? They were popular and first invented in the 70s roughly. I'm not quite that old, but I'm kinda feelin' like that. Out of touch. :lol:
"Now see, that's good information there. For a second, I thought you'd just met a chicken god."

Toman Ironarm
- Blacksmith of the Phoenix Company

You know, only on the Coast would that have needed to be said. :?
Darradarljod

Unread post by Darradarljod »

Wandering_Woodsman wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:00 pm Eh, I myself am behind the times so badly, I'm probably ahead of the next big thing. I have yet to see a single episode of the series, nor will I see it anytime soon, nor do I give a fig about spoilers. In short, I just don't care about it. :D

Remember Moon-shoes from the 90s? They were popular and first invented in the 70s roughly. I'm not quite that old, but I'm kinda feelin' like that. Out of touch. :lol:
You and me both, it all passed me by
Maecius
Retired Admin

Unread post by Maecius »

The nice thing about a server like this is that it allows for a sandbox experience. People can -- within the constraints of the setting and the rules -- write the stories they're most interested in writing.

Game of Thrones is big news right now, as you say. I don't watch it myself but I still somehow hear all about it on my news feeds (which are naturally filled with spoilers, so now I don't even have to watch it to know what happened last night on the show I don't watch :lol:).

Personally, I'm glad it's generating interest in the fantasy genre, and hopefully it drives a few people to discover us here.

But if it's really just not your thing, my advice would be to disengage from that type of RP (I'm guessing intrigue and super serious RP?) if you don't find it exciting and refocus the story (or go RP with others) on what you do want to write about!

Right now there are 60 players in game. I can guarantee you all 60 of them are telling a slightly different story, with 60 different main characters. It's part of the fun of it: Everyone's engaging the shared story in their own way!
Blackman D
Retired Staff

Unread post by Blackman D »

crown of horns what? :P
everyone is evil till proven otherwise
Svabodnik

Unread post by Svabodnik »

I'm 100% behind you. Ever since George R. R. Martin had invented the concept of "intrigue" in 1996, it has been an invasive cancer corrupting all manner of fiction into its nefarious grasp. ;)
"...I know that kind of man / It's hard to hold the hand of anyone / Who is reaching for the sky just to surrender..." – Leonard Cohen, The Stranger Song
Tekill
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Tekill »

I'm 100% behind you. Ever since J. R. R. Tolkien had invented the concept of "intrigue" in 1932, it has been an invasive cancer corrupting all manner of fiction into its nefarious grasp. :dance:
Malodia - Bae'qeshel - The Dark Minstrel - https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=76945

Gilthisanthilas - Pryat of Helm - Everwatch Knight

Skagrot Skullsplitter - Mountain Orc Warrior - The Last Skullsplitter https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=79740
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Balthomer wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:06 pm Is it going to stop anytime soon?

...sometimes its fun to have goofy or lighthearted rp, as long as it fits the setting.

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Winterborne

Unread post by Winterborne »

I totally avoid intrigue as I find it exhausting. My workday usually leaves me stressed and tense and when I come home I want my character to engage in lighthearted silliness most of the time - with bouts of serious things sprinkled in so that he can be more than simply a cartoon character.

I also try to make sure that the more tense moments are broken up by something that can be laughed at.

I can't get into edgy RP, it's not enjoyable to me so I avoid it. And it's not hard because there's enough people playing and engaging in different things that it's not the only game in town.

My advice to you would be if you are looking for something different and are tired of what you perceive as the same thing going on, branch out and play with people you don't usually play with and see what you find.

The beauty of a place with such an inclusive community with so many different personal tastes is that you can have a character for each mood you are feeling like playing that day and swap around at will.
Nathan Goldenmane - Guardian of Ilmater's Sanctuary, Mercy's Blade

Steward and Head of Business, House Darius -
SoThereIWas

Unread post by SoThereIWas »

Winterborne wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:20 am The beauty of a place with such an inclusive community with so many different personal tastes is that you can have a character for each mood you are feeling like playing that day and swap around at will.
The diversity is also it's flaw, as you have been able to see we are heavily divided and at each other off and on. The curse of a larger server is of that.

DMs and Moderators need to be able to show more force and express that they will not be pushed around as much as they will not allow others to be pushed around.

Internet is not like face to face interactions and are heavily reliant on those with authority to take necessary actions.

Basically they need to be jerks in a way. Trust me on that! And it's not a bad thing to have that to keep order.

-----
Back on topic, i doubt it will stop anytime soon.

But you are always welcome to have fun as an individual so long as it does not impair others fun. And yes, it is left to interpretation.

There are others out there that do not engage in it either, such as Winterborne and many more.

Others like me, are a bit more willing if in the right mood to do so.

The overall goal to playing the game is to have fun afterall, right? :)
Kingmaker

Unread post by Kingmaker »

In today's day and age, it's hard to believe that one can't find social interaction/chatroom anywhere on the internet, and is forced to look for such on a roleplaying server.
"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other."

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”