The Monster Within -- The journal of Azymandeus Faustus.

Character Biographies, Journals, and Stories

Moderators: Moderator, DM

kitteninablender

The Monster Within -- The journal of Azymandeus Faustus.

Unread post by kitteninablender »

What is a monster?

Are monsters mythical amalgamations of Teeth, claws, and Shadow which lurk beneath our children's beds? Ready to drag them under the moment their parents are out of sight, or their beloved teddy bear is just out of reach?

The truth is..."Monster" is subjective.

"Monster" is open to interpretation.

And oftentimes when one needs to see the worst Monster that they have ever known...they need only look into a mirror.

We are all monsters.

And I would know better than most.

I am Azymandeus Faustus. Thayan Conjurer, and Assistant Professor of Interplanar Anomolies and Thaumaturgy at the Thayan Academy of Binding and Shaping.

At least...that is what I will tell everyone, I suppose.

The Truth that these ink-stained pages contain, however, will spell out a gruesome...but also glorious truth.

I am a Monster.

But I am also a man.

A man who has made mistakes. A man who has regrets. A man who has committed unspeakable atrocities.

I have gazed into the deepest, darkest regions of the most remote and obscure Planes.

I have beholden Horrors that no normal, Sane man would ever hope to see.

But I am many things.

"Sane" and "Normal" are, quite frankly, not among them.

I have delved deep. Far too deep, some might even say. I seek one thing, and one thing only:

To find a monster more hideous...than the one I see in the mirror.

To find some proof that, just perhaps...I am NOT the worst there is.

Proof, perhaps, that in all of the deepest, nastiest, cruelest regions of the planes...

...there exists a Monster I might loathe more than I loathe myself...

I have not found it. Not yet. But I am a very patient man.

After all...what else have I to do but plot and scheme..

..for I am THAYAN!! And NONE scheme greater than WE!!
Chaos is relative. What is normal for the Spider is Chaos for the Fly.
kitteninablender

Re: The Monster Within -- The journal of Azymandeus Faustus.

Today was rather quite interesting.

A man I met just outside of the Friendly Arms introduced himself as ((REDACTED)). The man was a follower of Bhaal, the God of Murder. The fact he informed me of thus quite openly was a testament either to the man's foolishness...or his bravery. I am betting upon the former. One can hope it is the latter.

"You're on o' them Red Wizards, then? Then Tharrans?" the man queried.

"Thayan.." I corrected.

We spoke for some time about how he had been, in his mind, called to this region by his God to bring his touch upon the masses here. We spoke of many things. He spoke of his fascination with the Planes, the Hells, though he'd never seen another plane himself.

So I did what any Professor of Interplanar Studies would do...I showed him. I opened up a minor, minor "Window" to the Iron City of Dis, upon the Nine Hells, and showed him the smoldering streets.

He then turned to me and asked me, plainly:
"Thayan...what if I wished to gaze Death itself in the eye? Can you open a portal to the Realm of the Dead?"

"No." I stated plainly. "Myrkul forbids it. Otherwise any who could cross planes could merely retrieve their loved ones in the Fugue. But if you wish to meet Death I can introduce you to one of His Oldest, Closest Friends..."

And with that I called forth, through my Thaumaturgy, a creature known as a ((REDACTED FOR SECURITY MEASURES)). This creature, whom I knew only as "Entropy", appeared forthwith and spoke at length to ((REDACTED FOR SECURITY MEASURES)). They spoke of LIfe, and Death, and of the Cosmos, and at great length Entropy spoke of the wild nature of his home plane of ((REDACTED FOR SECURITY MEASURES)).

{{REDACTED]] thanked me, at length, for the education that I had given him upon other plane of existence.

Today I, Azymandeus Faustus of the Thayan Enclave, may have in fact performed the impossible.

A Red Wizard may have, in fact, actually made a friend...
kitteninablender

Met a few other Red Wizards today. Nice blokes.

REDACTED FOR SECURITY in particular was quite nice.

I'll have to monitor them closely, of course. They are Red Wizards after all.

Keep your friends close. Keep your enemies even closer. But keep friends who may BECOME enemies closest of them all...
kitteninablender

Had quite the interesting experience by the campfire today.

My first would-be Assassin.

I do not know the bloke's name, but he was clearly of Rashemi origin. One look at my robes and the bloke saw fit to draw his daggers, charging me like a deranged lunatic.

Sufficed to say...it did not end well for him.

To add insult to injury I took from around his neck a Rashemi artifact of some power, an Ancestral Relic known as a Hialaryeen.

While a powerful and rather nice magic item...I felt like filth merely for holding it. So I did what any sane person would do: I gave it away.

REDACTED FOR SECURITY was reluctant to accept my "gift", as he should have been. But the gift did serve a purpose: If it was cursed in any capacity...it's now not my problem.

Allow Filth to keep Filth. The artifact will go with REDACTED FOR SECURITY quite nicely...
kitteninablender

I was approached today by a Drow, of all people, in the city of REDACTED FOR SECURITY.

The Drow introduced himself as REDACTED FOR SECURITY, and informed me that his house was seeking to further the negotiations started by REDACTED FOR SECURITY.

Though I did not know much of the dealings that REDACTED FOR SECURITY had with them, I knew that this could potentially be beneficial to my research.

I am loathe to make arrangements with such creatures. But while I may despise them...their coin spends as good as any other.

And, to be honest, of all the organizations that I've interacted with in this region the Drow are most like us. Which, of course, means they are absolutely not to be trusted.

The Enemy of my Enemy is NOT my Friend. They are merely less of an Enemy at present.

This could bode well for the Enclave, I think. I merely have to play my cards right, and extremely close to the chest.

Fortunately for me, as a Mathematician, I happen to know that card games can be beaten. You simply have to know the numbers.
kitteninablender

It is rather a moment of Epiphany when one realizes the depths of their own monstrosity.

The Rashemi who attacked me the other day had drawn something out of me that I hadn't shown in a while. My own Sadism.

When I transformed into the Iron Golem and slammed the Assassin's head into the ground I could have stopped there. I could have simply ended it. He was defeated. He was beaten.

But I put my massive, two-ton Boot upon his forehead and offered him the chance to beg for mercy.

When he did not...I crushed his head like a grape underneath my Heel.

Underneath my Heel. Where all Rashemi truly belong.

I felt liberated. Justified. Filth wiped away from my boot like excrement. A fitting end for one such as he.

The Khazark would be proud.
kitteninablender

It is rather a moment of Epiphany when one realizes the depths of their own monstrosity.

The Rashemi who attacked me the other day had drawn something out of me that I hadn't shown in a while. My own Sadism.

When I transformed into the Iron Golem and slammed the Assassin's head into the ground I could have stopped there. I could have simply ended it. He was defeated. He was beaten.

But I put my massive, two-ton Boot upon his forehead and offered him the chance to beg for mercy.

When he did not...I crushed his head like a grape underneath my Heel.

Underneath my Heel. Where all Rashemi truly belong.

I felt liberated. Justified. Filth wiped away from my boot like excrement. A fitting end for one such as he.

The Khazark would be proud.
kitteninablender

Today I made the acquaintance of several Dwarves, members of REDACTED FOR SECURITY.

Their Leader, the Elder, challenged me to a spell duel in the Arena which, I am sorry to say, i was quickly defeated. Not due to a lack of skill, or power. The man simply launched a fiery burst the likes of which I was not prepared to evade. I shall learn better next time: It is never a bad thing to be Fireproof. At ANY point.

But I digress: I showed the Dwarves of REDACTED FOR SECURITY around the Enclave...the public places, anyways...we we did much business.

Two of them, REDACTED FOR SECURITY spoke of their dissatisfaction with the current administrator of their Clan, whom they felt was far too idle of late and lacked the ambition for the growth of their clan.

REDACTED FOR SECURITY hinted at the option of the potential arrangement of an alliance. I would not be entirely opposed to this. Though they are Dwarves, they are Dwarves who have cast aside the stubborn traditions of old and seek to explore new Horizons. Something I, as a Traveler of the Planes, am far too keen on providing.

This could be quite lucrative. The Khazark shall be most pleased.
kitteninablender

Today I met with the Dwarves of REDACTED FOR SECURITY. I spoke with their councilmen of many things, including Thayan finances and Thayan support.

I informed them that I wished to see their clan not only survive, as it had been doing, but also thrive.

I told them that I wished to see them in their own Mithril Hall. Streets adorned with Gems, and dozens of little Dwarflings scurrying about.

But I told them that oftentimes Prosperity requires a culture to make...decisions. And sometimes those decisions are less than moral ones.

It is easy to forget that the Empires of Man are built upon the Bones of their enemies.

But yes, I will help to see their Clan restored to their former glory. And gain more glory still.

All I ask is for a Thayan Enclave built within their walls. Guests of their new Kingdom.

An Enclave that will need a Khazark.

I am not opposed to my position at the Balduran Enclave. In fact, I quite like it. Magus Griska and the others have been most welcome. And Belagruz is a right bastard whom I have greatly come to respect and admire. I could even call him a friend...if he were not also my Rival. But in Thay...Rival and Friend are far too often the same. He would depose me in a moment if it meant securing a higher position. But the same is true in return.

The fact that we would seek to depose each other, however, means that we see each other as a threat.

And, to a Thayan Red Wizard, that is also the ultimate form of RESPECT.

All Thayans seek to become Khazark. Just to start.

For any Thayan that does not aspire to become Zulkiir himself is a Red Wizard that, frankly, is not ambitious enough to be of any real consequence.

In many regions of the world Power is represented in many ways. Gold. Political Influence.

But not in Thay.

In Thay...POWER is Power. Pure and simple.

And if one seeks to obtain power...it is a good idea to make some friends along the way.

For it's lonely at the top.

But I am Mulani.

The Top is the only place that I belong.

Those whom shall join me willingly may kneel in my presence and admire my majesty.

And those whom do not...can be crushed underneath my heel.

As Thay demands.

Glory Be To Thay.
kitteninablender

I've been a naughty, naughty boy.

Recently I have taken the interest of an Elf. One whom calls himself REDACTED FOR SECURITY.

He made me an offer: Eight-hundred years worth of Elven Historical knowledge in exchange, only, that I never used that knowledge against the Elves.

And so I gave him a counter-offer...I would provide him with knowledge that was...significantly older.

Sufficed to say...the Elf was intrigued. And obviously thought that I was quite full of sh-t.

And so we came to the Enclave..and I made with him a Bargain.

We cast a powerful spell together, and we formed the basis of a Pactus Minorem...though of a Mortal Nature.

It was a Greater Bestow Curse, cast willingly upon us both, which would have drastic effects if either of us willingly violated the terms of our agreement.

It was then that things took a very interesting turn.

The results were promising. The details of which I shall keep to myself.

But, suffice it to say, sometimes Chains do not take the form of actual chains.

Sometimes they take the form of knowledge.

And I have Bound this Elf quite well.

Thayans, by tradition, do not keep Elven Slaves.

But I have always been willing to defy tradition in the name of progress. It's the only way actual progress is ever made.

First rule of Science: If you are not willing to change and adapt - new Knowledge is completely useless.

I think I will rather enjoy having a new Minion...
kitteninablender

Oftentimes I question the blatant stupidity of the common folk here in Baldur's Gate.

Today I met the acquaintance of a man whom called himself REDACTED. Nice enough bloke...but about as intelligent as a box of marbles.

"Adamantine? Ain't that what that metal can cut through anythin'?" REDACTED asked.

"With enough Force, yes." I replied.

"You think it could cut through one of them magical Mage barriers?" he asked.

"It can overcome a Premonition spell, easy enough. Doesn't do anything to a Wall of Force or a Forcecage, but it bypasses a few things. Cuts right through a Stoneskin spell." I noted.

"So if I hit my buddy that's been turned to stone by a Basilisk, it ain't gonna kill him? It'll cut him out of it?" He asked.

I was about to answer "No." But then the most evil of wicked thoughts came to me. So I chuckled, and I replied:

"Only one way to find out, really." Which, of course, was not TECHNICALLY a lie. It was an Omission, true enough.

But I NEVER actually Lie...code of conduct.

I wonder if he found out for certain?

Eh hehehehehehehehe....
kitteninablender

I think I am going to rather enjoy my time here in Baldur's Gate. I've taken on a new apprentice. His name is REDACTED. A fellow Conjurer new to the Enclave.

Between the two of us, as the poor unfortunate Xvarts found out, we can conjure no less than a LEGION of monsters.

And so we sat back, enjoying a spot of tea, watching the Hordes of the Enclave tear through the Xvarts as if they were tissue paper.

Quite enjoyable, I must agree. Their screams filled the night air as they were torn, limb from limb, by monsters from their worst nightmares.

I really am a sadistic tosser, aren't I?

Oh well. Nothing wrong with a man who enjoys his work...
kitteninablender

So today I have achieved the rank of "Master Alchemist" from the Thayan Academy.

I teleported home in time to receive my degree from the Academy in Chemistry and Biology.

Azymandeus Faustus. Planar Scholar. Philosopher. Historian. Master Chemist. Interplanar Biologist.

Five Diplomas from the Academy....and counting.

What to pursue next? Hmm. Not sure. Will take time to consider.
kitteninablender

I have been doing extensive research into the Planar anomolies upon the Coast. And the discoveries that I have made are quite...disturbing.

I will have to present my findings to the Dukes in due time. As well as...my proposed solution for solving the crisis.

I just hope that they are keen to listen. Because the solution that I have is...not a pleasant one.

I hope for the love of all Gods that I can make them see reason.

It's time for the Professor to teach...
kitteninablender

Laboratory Notes, entry number 347.

Just a reminder: Always cast Immunity to Fire before entering the laboratory.

Also: No smoking in the laboratory. Especially while mixing Alchemist fire.

The results can be explosive....

Return to “Character Biographies and Journals”