Optional Permadeath - implemented.

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

DM Doom

Optional Permadeath - implemented.

Unread post by DM Doom »

As some may or may not have noticed I've implemented optional permadeath mechanics on the server.
Keep in mind that the feature is new and there may be issues.

Details are below in QA form.

Q. How do I sign up?
A. In nexus, talk to our friendly neighborhood grim reaper - aka "Character Deleter". Select second option. The npc gives thorough explanation. You'll have opportunity to back off and would be required to confirm that you really want to do it.

Q. What are requirements?
A. Your character has to be level 1 with less than 100 xp. Only those characters can gain the token through the npc.

Q. What are restrictions?
A. Marking characters for permadeath disables RCR bot for that character. You will not be able to store or withdraw XP with permadeath character.

Q. Are there any benefits?
A. Currently you only gain greater thrill and no mechanical benefit of any kind. The situation may or may not change in future, but don't wait for anything specific.

Q. How does it work, mechanically?
A. If you're sent to fugue, that counts as dying. Resurrection saves you from xp penalty, but the death still counts towards the limit. Once you've died too many times, Myrkul will claim your character's soul and it will not be possible to raise your character. It also won't be possible to respawn.

Q. What if I got fugued by a glitch?
Q. What if I get killed in a DM event?
A. Still counts. Any death that sends you to fugue counts. Normally you see "you were killed X times by monstes and Y times by players" when that happens.

Q. Does that mean character will be deleted?
A. Currently, no. But you will not be able to return to the world. You'd be allowed to haunt nexus, discuss your adventure with "Character Deleter", but won't be able to do anything else.

Q. How many deaths till my character meets final death?
A. You don't know. It is more than one. So be careful.

Q. What if I change my mind?
A. The decision is final and the npc warned about it. The mark intended to stay permanently on character.

Q. What if I found a bug?
A. Report to dev team and CC or BCC me specifically.

Q. Am I required to take permadeath on my character?
A. No.

Q. Is there some sort of color indication for permadeath character? Is it planned?
A. No, there is no indication, it isn't planned, and it won't be implemented as it would be against spirit of the original idea. The player is supposed to pick the option for greater challenge, making the "mark" visible may result in different treatment. So I chose not to implement it.

Q. Can I trade with permadeath character?
A. Yes, you can. They should be treated like normal characters for practical purposes.

Q. Will there be equipment drop for permadeath characters?
Q. What about some sort of exclusive dungeon for permadeath charactes?

A. Those features were discussed with the staff, and currently there are no plans to implement them.
Tanlaus
Quality Control

Re: Optional Permadeath - implemented.

Unread post by Tanlaus »

I love this option. Definitely makes for a more intense experience, even and maybe especially for level 30s... if you make it that far.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

It is a cool, new feature.

There have been many a Toon leveled to 30 by the campfire chat room. :think:

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
krighaur
Recognized Donor

Unread post by krighaur »

Is it possible to RCR a low level character and activate this option ?

I just began a drow, who is lvl 2 now, and would like to try this option but don't want to redo the boring 1st level ;)
Luniel Kumerian half angel/half barbarian follower of Séluné, returned to her small insignifiant village and lives her insignifiant life quietly

Xullrae Illivara, former weapon master of house Bhaelyndryn small house in Elyndryn

Onyx Amberdark (current PC) young female warrior from the Red Tigers
K'yon Oblodra
Recognized Donor

Unread post by K'yon Oblodra »

I would think if you rcr and click the the option before you transfer the xp you should be fine?
K'yon Oblodra
Necromancer of the school of Necromancy
Silent seat for the school of Necromancy
Korchas

Unread post by Korchas »

Taking the option disables you speaking to the RCR buddy, so you'd essentially throw away the XP or have to take them on another char.
You'd have to take the bitter pill and level from level 1 onwards.
Talio - Sergeant at Arms of the House of Blackrose

Braithreachas Leomhainn
K'yon Oblodra
Recognized Donor

Unread post by K'yon Oblodra »

krighaur if you want I can just accompany you with my character and help you level that first bit a bit faster, that way I get to know someone new and you won't have to take that painful path alone XD.
K'yon Oblodra
Necromancer of the school of Necromancy
Silent seat for the school of Necromancy
izzul

Unread post by izzul »

I opt for this one and created a new character. please join me and the fun :D
Azzizuleia Tyrielmrande-[Permadeath PC]
Eilondruil Eldanyar-Corellon Larethian[Battle Historian]
Iz Azul-Red Knight[Active]
Krueger-Trader viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56617
Mystera Electra-Mystra[Goat Girl]

"give to yourself, took from others-Integrity and Justice"
DM Doom

Unread post by DM Doom »

krighaur wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:24 am Is it possible to RCR a low level character and activate this option ?

I just began a drow, who is lvl 2 now, and would like to try this option but don't want to redo the boring 1st level ;)
You have to start at level 1, and once the character has been "marked" RCR bot wont' talk to him/her. So you won't be able to withdraw xp. You also won't be able to store xp earned by that character either.
Zaelphion

Unread post by Zaelphion »

I love this, I'll make a new char just to try it.
Arael Elseran - Wandering Cleric of the Loyal Fury
Warath

Unread post by Warath »

This option is phenomenal. I love it.

Quick questions:

1. Is there an option at a later date to have some sort of indicator/coloring on a players name to indicate they are a permadeath character?
2. Would any DM events where death is a part of it (happened a decade past) count towards the death total?
3. Within RP, is trading acceptable or normal as a permadeath character? (As long as trading in Fugue doesn't occur)
4. Is anyone interested in creating a permadeath guild?
DM Doom

Unread post by DM Doom »

Warath wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:31 pm 1. Is there an option at a later date to have some sort of indicator/coloring on a players name to indicate they are a permadeath character?
This is not planned and won't be implemented.

The way I see it making this visible could result in some sort of special treatment, and that, to me, doesn't feel right. The option is supposed to be picked by the player for greater challenge, and not to make other people afraid to interact with the character.
Warath wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:31 pm 2. Would any DM events where death is a part of it (happened a decade past) count towards the death total?
Any circumstances that send characters to fugue counts toward total. DM events included.
Warath wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:31 pm 3. Within RP, is trading acceptable or normal as a permadeath character? (As long as trading in Fugue doesn't occur)
"Marked character" should be treated the same way as any other character in rp and behavior. So yes, you can trade with them.
Ewe

Unread post by Ewe »

Firstly, thank you DM Doom! I love it and really appreciate your work! It's systems like these and new creative ideas that really fire me up!

The moment it went live I tested it out. I have a few observations I would like to share,

1. Amount of Deaths
It took me about 10 deaths to be perma'd. My hypothesis is that you get at least 4 free deaths and can die anywhere between 5-19 times before being permanently claimed. This to me feels like a d4 is rolled each death until you get to 20 or higher.

2. Possible Glitch?
I am able to kill myself in Fugue (or in Tutorial Room of Nexus). This allows me to amass many deaths. My theory, though I did not have enough time to prove it yet, is that if I am able to kill myself enough times I can overflow the counter and get back below the threshold of being perma'd, and get un-perma'd. (Possibly, this is a crackpot theory I've not actually proven, it may well be another property is set upon perma that wouldn't change even if the counter did).

I also have a little bit of feedback,

3. Loot Dropping?
Would it be possible for your gear and/or gold or something else drops from your corpse (or final corpse?) to make it even more thrilling?

4. Perma Only Dungeon?
An end-game dungeon that can only be accessed by perma characters? Not sure how this would work lore wise, but it would give some incentive to people trying to level up one without giving any direct mechanical advantage.
Last edited by Ewe on Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Dae-Glyth
Discord: Dae-Glyth#1759
Tanlaus
Quality Control

Unread post by Tanlaus »

I’m not sure I’d agree with a perma only dungeon. Even though I plan to make a perma character, it doesn’t feel right to lock other players out of any areas, especially new areas. Punished people who may not have the time or desire to play a perma character.

Along those lines, I was just saying to someone the other day I wish entering avernus was still an option. Even without the store, a challenging area for a party of maxed out epic characters would be nice. If it were a party of perma death characters that would be more thrilling.
DM Doom

Unread post by DM Doom »

Ewe wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:06 pm 1. Amount of Deaths
It took me about 10 deaths to be perma'd. My hypothesis is
No comment! :lol:
Do keep in mind that the implementation is not set in stone and may change in future.
Ewe wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:06 pm 2. Possible Glitch?
I am able to kill myself in Fugue (or in Tutorial Room of of Nexus). This allows me to amass many deaths. My theory, though I did not have enough time to prove it yet, is that if I am able to kill myself enough times I can overflow the counter and get back below the threshold of being perma'd, and get un-perma'd. (Possibly, this is a crackpot theory I've not actually proven, it may well be another property is set upon perma that wouldn't change even if the counter did).
I don't believe this can be done. Additionally the amount of time and effort required to overflow the counter - assuming it is possible - would be ridiculous. I'll check it later, but I don't believe this is a serious concern.
Ewe wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:06 pm 3. Loot Dropping?
Would it be possible for your gear and/or gold or something else drops from your corpse (or final corpse?) to make it even more thrilling?

4. Perma Only Dungeon?
An end-game dungeon that can only be accessed by perma characters? Not sure how this would work lore wise, but it would give some incentive to people trying to level up one without giving any direct mechanical advantage.
I'll consider that and put it to discussion.

Return to “General Discussion”