The Broken Goblet

In-Character News, Laws, Announcements, Rumors, and Stories Relating to the Sword Coast

Moderators: Moderator, DM

selhan
Custom Content

The Broken Goblet

Unread post by selhan »

The sound of seagulls become feint, but the sound of the oceans waves continues into the night in Roaringshore, however muffled by the rowdy drunken scoundrels and ruffians and would be pirates singing silly songs and sharing tall tales within the Broken Goblet. The tavern consists of a dark taproom with stone floors, massive wooden support pillars and furnishings and candle lamps. The latter can be raised and lowered on chains via ceiling pulleys and from hooks located behind the bar, and consist of wagon wheels that each support a circle of seven to nine fat candles, each set in a buckler to catch the melted wax. A favorite trick during a brawl is to leap behind the bar and undo the hooks, sending the heavy lamps plummeting down atop the tables.

The staff there are armed with daggers, boot knives, and steel knuckle spikes. Overly amorous patrons are warned that the large men with many scars are large men with many scars, but the other rumors are of the buxom wenches with the long lashes and ready smiles are doppelgangers. They often respond to overly familiar touches with a dagger strike and a shift in the form of one hand into a loose curtain of flesh that can be slapped over a patron's face to smother or blind him. Tis be wise to keep your hands to yerself if such hands were not welcomed.

The front door is guarded by two house guards with orders to keep it clear so that access is denied to none! Brawls are thus prevented from erupting on the way in and out the door harming trade. This has the effect of allowing each patron to make a grand entrance on the raised entry dais, which overlooks the taproom from behind a safety rail. A trophy of a long-ago brawl decorates this smoothed oak tree-trunk railing: A black-bladed battle axe split the rail in two and crashed down to bury itself haft-deep in the edge of the floor beneath. Its owner did not live long enough to get it free so the proprietors of the tavern left it there as a warning.

The Goblet sells no food, but patrons can bring in all they like. One free glass per patron per evening is included in drink prices.

However during the slow hours of the night when most are either "Fallen on their Rumps" drunk, or making their leave to the Swordarm Inn for bed if not returning to their skiffs and ships, the new bartender who's name is Sel has the minstrels adjust the mood in music and brings the Goblet to a calm while cleaning goblets and wiping his counter.

((OOC Notes))

((I am not running a faction. I am merely offering Tavern Role Play within the themed Tavern as an official hired bartender DM approved. I welcome all players who may be traveling through to stop by for such role play or seek for such RP. Sel works for the Broken Goblet, he does not own it. If I am not present there do poke on Discord and I will arrive soon as I can unless I'm at work. I share Aussie Time zones GMT+10. Im free on evenings and weekends mostly.))
Last edited by selhan on Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
“We drink to get drunk, we get drunk to fall asleep, when we fall asleep, we commit no sin, when we commit no sin, we go to the Heaven's."

Bartender of the Broken Goblet - "What's yer Poison?"

Click to find out what time is it for the Bartender
selhan
Custom Content

Re: The Broken Goblet

Unread post by selhan »

*The rising day comes and the Barkeeper walks in to the Goblet seeing tables and floors piled with some of the dirtiest scum's this side of the coast with open bottles or spilling goblets in their sleeping hands. Some snoring away looking even more ugly then when they were sober. A feint smirk he expressed thinking "At least the boys sleep with a smile." *Some drunks might have been stabbed or lost another tooth in some disagreement or debate, after all it was the Broken Goblet. He turns to Kern and Mort and say's * " Oi! Help me flush these bodies down the grate and send them off to the Sea's. Need to clean this place up, got some important people coming over tonight. I'll pay for yer drinks tonight."

*Not too long after the clean up or what would be consider their clean up the barkeep goes back to the office and meets the boss, they have a short discussion*

"What's that boss? Oh everyone and everything is welcome'd in the Goblet? Ah ..Ah..no fighting and no damaging furniture ..I hear yea. Or what?...Ah or send them in the arena or kick em out?" *Nods nods* "Gotcha boss*
“We drink to get drunk, we get drunk to fall asleep, when we fall asleep, we commit no sin, when we commit no sin, we go to the Heaven's."

selhan
Custom Content

Unread post by selhan »

*Another night in the Goblet but this night was far more eventful. The place was more filled then the normal. A friend of the barkeeper was first to pay a visit. Soon after another traveler, and then another. Seems the sign and the presence of a pretty woman brought more attention or was it the rumors?. However as quickly as patrons arrived another confrontation quickly followed. One man accused another of thievery about arrows?. Wasn't long before fists started flying following heated curses , other drunken sailors and pirates and lowly scums saw the opportunity for fun and decided to jump from their seats and get involved in the scuffle. Soon after the fighting was subsided a few bodies laid on the floor bleeding out if not instantly dead already. Some other men were quick to flee not wanting to get involved or get hurt in the tavern with a bunch of drunken lots. The bartender spoke out... *

"OI! You dirt bags better have not broken any of the furniture! And next time if you gonna squabble, ye take that outside or down stairs where is proper!"

*One man paid a hefty bag of coins for causing such the ruckus.* "Sorry Sir first time in the place hope that covers it."

*The barkeeper took the bag of coins and told the man tis fine only if he buy a drink. It wasn't long after that everyone in the Broken Goblet continued their drinking and business all the while more and more customers arrived to buy drinks. Once every patron had a goblet full of toxic indulgence, the barkeep set down his rag and picked up a rake and started pushing the dead bodies down the grate.

*He returned to the bar once he was done and wiped his hands clean then looked at the patrons*

"Alright who needs their goblets refilled?"

*The night continued as it had, the folks in lawless Roaringshore would call it another normal night save for the added new faces that came around and they could never forget to include pretty faces....*

selhan
Custom Content

Unread post by selhan »

-Another Day, Another Goblet-
*The barkeeper enters Roaringshore and makes for the Broken Goblet with a renewed smile and anxious to see what the night brings. He changes into his apron and begins the cleaning. Removing blood stains and puke from the night before while laughing and chuckling at the thought of the brawl. He continues the task of discarding bad corks and salvaging the ones that were still good. Once he was done with the floors and grates, he stood taking a deep breath looking at the Capitan with a devilish smile.*

"Give a day or so and my girls be arriving boss, then we will have proper entertainment for the filthy lots with some songs and tales! Oh and don't you worry they ain't the prissy sort. They be made of sterner stuff, just the type of pretty lasses the rubbish around here be needing their eye's fixed on, they wont even know how many goblets they pay for."

*The bartender then goes into explaining what sort of lasses he sent for giving the Captain detailed information with filled goblets and impish grins*

selhan
Custom Content

Unread post by selhan »

With the final arrival of his promised performer's the Broken Goblet soon booms with laughter's tales and dark ale's! Swooning men and mischievous barmaids gives cheers!

selhan
Custom Content

Unread post by selhan »

As the night nears it's end, a pair of minstrels soon left for their beds someplace likely the Swordarms Inn. A few more patrons arrived a married couple even. Was it their date? A honeymoon? Who knows but the Broken Goblet they entered with a few rounds of whiskey purchased and sharing talks and stories and having a bit of smirks and laughs until their legs got wobbly and decided to call it a night. Such seem the norm within the Goblet of late, travelers and what not seen the signs of presence and decided to pay a visit, and pay for a goblet.

*Few sounds but buoy bells and the shifting of the sea waves clouded the place of Roaringshore but even so, within the Broken Goblet, pirates, thieves, smugglers and ever other dirty scum that could be found laughs to tall tales while drinking their goblets and mean mugging others to show effort of their resolve until that is..the delectable bliss filled in their goblets..sooon puts them to snoring rests*

selhan
Custom Content

Unread post by selhan »

*The morning sun rises over Roaringshore, sweet sounds of a soothing song plays from the Broken Goblet, a minstrel provides an early morning performance for the arriving patrons. Some drunks wake from under tables with splittin headaches but smiles to the melody that soothes their filthy souls. Few other patrons made of more sterner stuff remained unmoving. Perhaps too harden to show a hint of emotions or too cold of heart to really care. Nevertheless, activity in the Goblet continued as well as the pouring of drinks.*

selhan
Custom Content

Unread post by selhan »

-The Goblet Stays Filled!-

*It was becoming near midday, the new bartender sent the minstrel to get some rest to be fresh for the night. And just when he ready to find some rest, another patron came in* "I'm HERE!!" *The woman yelled out, turning the heads of the drinking sailors. A greet was given and offer of drinks followed. They continued in their conversation until another small and strange but witty patron arrived. He left the customers to indulge in their conversations while he continued the one task he was given...Keep the goblets filled!*

*After sometime had pass, two of three travelers left the Goblet to tend to whatever business or desires,.. their hearts lead their feet's. But once again, another patron arrived. This one was familiar to the bartender a big fella he was, never settled for a goblet. He always asked for a cask! However the name calling of wench and the lack of use of proper names, ignited a mouth full of jests and threats soon exchanged, drunken sailors and shady scoundrels and smugglers remained silent, eager to see what will unfold*

"Fighting pit now!" *The big half orc called out*

"OKAY!" *The smaller figure replied.

*The bartender looked at the Captain and gestured that he was going to follow the two. In moments to follow two people stood in a faceoff. The bartender sitting casually watching intently*

*The drunk patrons would only say they seen all three that went below, soon return shortly. Two of them with wounds and bruises , the bartender going back behind his counter pouring drink once again as if everything was simply a normal day. After all..the goblets must stay filled..*

selhan
Custom Content

Unread post by selhan »

*There comes a time when a person, no matter how good their battle prowess is, or how dangerous their sword arms executes or how witty their minds are or even how powerful their spells become. There is ...someone...that ...is ...always...more...dangerous..*

"I seen quite many things in my human life time, and been through some scary stuff. But ain't nothing like what I experienced today." *The man said more so to himself while packing up his signs*
*He suddenly smirks* "Out of all the things to possibly be scared of...it had to be the Boss...something very off about that one..."

"But never the mind. Work is work and goblets need to stay filled."

selhan
Custom Content

Unread post by selhan »

*Within the walls of the Broken Goblet, tis was a normal night like any other. Brawny sailors and local scoundrels with looks of thuggery, probably committed some crime recently or plotting too. Regardless if they were men or woman nor any of the different races in these lands, they all had one thing in common. "The need for a strong drink...."*

"Yes" *He thought, "the need for a strong drink". The universal language, thee one thing that could even make enemies sit down and have talks. The bartenders brown orbs saw the many froth lips and loud cheers , some patron's danced and caroused until their goblet's ran out. Some still had coin to afford more, others were not so lucky or fortunate and were carried off by a friend while peering into their goblets or mugs as if trying to will the delectable liquid to magically appear...*

*Strange, he use to be one of them, jumping around in different taverns blowing his coins on drinks and barmaids. But now behind the bar, he looks upon others, just like how in the past, bartenders use to look at him. Such a pitiful sight it was...but gods he still missed it...*

selhan
Custom Content

Unread post by selhan »

"My..oh..my...Who would've thought, my little Goblet, brimming with action"

"Yer free to get people to perform, but they work on tips, not the Goblet's coin" *The voice sounded aged, brittle and creaky but also with a sternness to it with a cold fearless stare. "Ya ain't the boss, Pike ain't the boss, I'm the boss. Lastly, I don't care about whatever ruckus that don't break my chairs. Now ya turn, what's the request?" *The bartender was smart, he knew not to piss off the Boss by trying to pull a fast one. She was obviously far more then what she appeared to be. Plus he wasn't ignorant of rumors. Often times rumors be full of shite, birthed by foolish people wanting some attention and twisting tales to become far taller then what they were. But also, there could be some truth in rumors. He wasn't going to take any risk, he never does.*
"Firstly, I could use a helping hand for the times I can't be around, and I know a person with some experience behind the bar. Besides, some of the boy's prefer being served by a pretty face. Secondly I need a bruiser. Got one in mind ain't know him all that well but I need one that could help take out the ..trash and mop up the mess after." *Her smirking expression was eerie, he felt as if she was sizing him up, her eyes seemed like she cared not for what he said. But he knew however she would approve the request, she has too, he already thought things through. He's brought in more activity and coins in a few days than what Pike does in a ten day. Any business owner knows, if they have something essential, best to hold on to it.*

"...about the lass, I want to talk to her first. Now go tell the orcblood to come in". *He gave a nod then stood up from his chair and went for the door* "Thank ya for yer time, boy." *He glances over his shoulder and grins approvingly* "Nay, Thank you for your presence...Boss."

*Later about after a candlelight, he stood cleaning goblets and held conversations with a new employee. As he expected his requests were approved. He knew it would. Now with the added help it was time to get the momentum going, after all, the days has became far more interesting and fun.*

The Intriguing Bartender Sel
The Half Orc Bruiser Agrobal Biletusk
The Spirit Shaman Bartender Lamthi'ari Carvel

selhan
Custom Content

Unread post by selhan »

*The night was near its end, the bartender left the Broken Goblet to pick up some supplies, leaving Captain Pike to cover for him, since his other partner was still deeply in her slumber. He happened to meet two adventurers at the Friendly Arms Inn. Some talks and chuckles and laughs lead to exchanging of names and offerings of gifts. * "No need to repay me, simply remember the name and where I work. Visit sometime if you happen to pass by."

*After returning back to the Goblet , he got right back into work, sweeping the stone floor, then wiping his bar and cleaning the Goblets. After sometime had pass, he heard his head to look at the front door upon hearing voices. "New customers" he thought and quickly gestured them over for drinks. What do you know, it happen to be the same two he met earlier in the day. " So what's your poison?" he asked. Twin order of dark ale they ordered. The male , a mage in dark robes couldn't help but admire the goblet given to him. "I really liking this Goblet, its the best part" *The bartender grinned, satisfied the man admired it. The night continued with conversations and refilling goblets, as it should be. It was some time later the mage left, his wits clearly without grasp from enjoying his drink in the admirable goblet. The bartender wondered if he would ever return again.*

*The other patron, the woman with the orange hair remained. A new face, but seems to be quite familiar of the coast other then current rumors and events. "I like this place you know? Yeah you should know." She was clearly enjoying the atmosphere of the tavern she was in now, and seeking opportunity perhaps? Or was it merely finding a better means for coins? Or spending coins..? Who knows. She took her drinks well however, with only minor hiccups. Resting her fresh boots from the roads, she lingered longer indulging in conversations with the bartender, "Don't make me blush! Don't you dare, its the Ale anyways if I do!" He chuckles "Careful love, don't get too drunk on your way out, them drunken lots over there may try to make a pass at you in such the state." After her third fill she decided to take her leave in search for opportunity or better work since her coin purse became rather empty. The night went without violence, only the sounds of crude laughter's from drunks who did what they always do each night, drink from their goblets...*

selhan
Custom Content

Unread post by selhan »

-The Death Cart-

"Puetus, here's a another one to add to the cart. Yeah the idiot couldn't hold his drink well enough. For so little rules in the Goblet, you would think they wouldn't be so hard to follow, he just had to try to touch a barmaid." *He smirks* "Well the sharks going to be happy today. Have a good one and try not to work so hard eh? Oh by the way Puetus, if you see my bruiser, let him know I cant be hauling bodies and serving drinks at the same time." *He chuckles* "Im kiddin old man."

*The "Cart", made of wood however stained in a red tone, from all he blood that soaks into it. A drunkards violent conclusions or executions ordered by the High Captains are two of the main reasons the "Cart" gets filled. The buzzing of flies, the stench of decomposing bodies reeks in the hot sun. But its the way of Roaringshore. He was simply a bartender, he had no say . He knew better and thus stayed out of the High Captain's business, nor did he try to pry into things. He surely wasn't goin to meet the same fate as those within the "Cart".

selhan
Custom Content

Unread post by selhan »

*A flyer was posted outside the Broken Goblet*
"Ahoy!"

"The Broken Goblet will have live performance sometime this weeks end!"

She's a cute lass, with hair as red as pirate's ruby, and a voice that could put a Krakan to sleep!
Her fingers can sail a lute like a Captain sails a ship!

The Broken Goblet presents!
"Rose Wintertal"

She's a sharp lass, like the edge of keen blade, charming and witty!
A true entertainer that can make you feel bewitched and drench yer leggin's!

The Broken Goblet presents!
"Elektra Velora"

selhan
Custom Content

Unread post by selhan »

"Roaringshore, the isolated village nestles in a small deepwater cove on the coast about a third of the way south from the mouth of the Winding Water toward the city of Baldurs Gate. With war upon the surrounding lands between the forces of good an evil, there's one tavern that seems to ignore such events and continues to welcome any and all patrons a good wholesome drink, to chase away their troubles... The Broken Goblet.

The new bartender's seem to care naught of the on going war, nor political matters that side of the Coast. Thus who's to say from drunken lips they've not heard tales and matters. However as instructed by the "Miss" .."What's said in the Goblet stays in the Goblet." A firm policy is its, but the Broken Goblet rest upon the ground of Roaringshore nevertheless...

With promise of performance and refilling of goblets, the tavern was quite busy. Minstrels far and near arrived with the setting mind to leave the night with a heavy coin purse.

Elektra's performance of "Bouncy Belle's Bottom Line", had everyone in the tavern laughing, a witty and crafty song it was, and if one didn't follow closely, the lyrics would had gone over their heads. For the keenest of ears however, expressed impish grins and discomfort britches added to the intoxicating goblets in their hands.

Rose's performance of "The Winter Sky" was the somewhat the counter balance of the previous performance, keeping the patrons emotions rising and falling with a swaying tune. Aye the perfect pair they were. And very crafty.

A heavy coin purse indeed they later had...
after patrons upon patrons arrived, tipping minstrels and raising glass.

One bartender weak and weary and in much need of sleep, turned the bar over to Captain Pike to keep the goblets filled. However not too long after, the other bartender had arrived to add the woman's touch of serving drinks to patrons during the course of songs an more carousing.

Later that night, both bartenders where present, serving drinks and holding conversations with the less drunk patrons, all the while performance of songs still continued. Indeed it was a busy day, the most the Broken Goblet has had in a very long time. The coffers would be pleasing to the eyes of the "Boss". Well pass the late hours, most patrons were drunk under the tables, or had left to whatever place they will call home for the night. The bartender started cleaning while thinking of all the faces and conversations that came and transpired today. Even the subtle ones or so they thought were subtle.."

Return to “Sword Coast Roleplay”