A lot of the code in the toolset is hidden because of the principle of intellectual property.Azmodeth wrote:My toolset never crashed in 3 day of being open..
anyways, I have a few questions..
how can I rework the textures for some Items I find needing them...
I mean I can find the items and mix and match them all I want in the toolset, you know the individual parts and such..
Like I want to find the P_**M/F_CL_Helm97/98.MDB and TGA and such, and like rework some embroidery into it...
some MDB's I open in the UV ripper I'm using don't show anything, some do..
Been trying to understand how to do some of this stuff for days and I'm getting abit frustrated, I can open and access the content from the official game, but nothing I download from the vault, nor can I even find the custom content on this server..
Is there a easy way to navigate to what pieces of armor your looking at, when in the toolset .. I TAG /ReRef.... but I can't really find that stuff...
Like say I go to the Jegs module, and look at clothing, and theres the garb of shadows..
tag is 34_shadow_clothes wheres the part that points to the individual pieces that make it up..
or do I have to go to Armor Set, and then make note of the Number of things like
left/rightshoulder
left/right bracer . . etc
in this case its all 0 and like pretty default clothing just tinted black..
any help would be appreciated... the tutorials I'm finding don't seem to give clear instructions... unless I take a stab at stuff I find in the OC
how do I get the file I want into gimp to color it and play with it...
can't even get the friggin dds plugin to work..or install..
should I be using photoshop instead?
Not lecturing in any way, just establishing a point to further explain why the toolset doesn't let you access everything or spell it out for you easier. As I've been getting back to the toolset in order to step up towards an earlier goal of learning C# (which NWScript is based on), Unity, and Blender - I'm marveling due to my new POV I've been gaining networking with media professionals. Because they really were being super altruistic. Most people that learn a trade skill like scripting keep their education to themselves because it was so hard won (tuition and effort) - and they were providing help in so many ways, on neverwinterconnections, neverwinter vault, the DMFI initiative.... I learned so much in the last months of me playing with the toolset back in 2007-2008 and ploinking questions on the neverwinterconnections scripting forum. And as I'm getting the rust off from the nine year or so break, I'm appreciating them more than before.
But that part is just me trying to help people understand why its not very self-explanatory. They were giving back to the DnD community, is all I'm saying.
Anyway, blender is a free resource and where you would create a model or a texture, using a jpeg. Basically, you make a jpeg with some kind of painter program (I use a education version of Corel X3) - then you take the drawing to blender and stick it on a ragdoll with bones. (That's literally the terminology) - then (I assume) theres a way of changing that model into a hak but I haven't gotten that far or investigated it... Like I said, I'm going with my old experience with NWN1 and 2 in order to step up to that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HryXEpIz-cg (stitching a jpeg model onto a ragdoll tutorial)
https://forum.unity3d.com/ (unity forum, like the NWlexicon sorta)
As for the default scripts being buggy, they were doing a job for a paycheck and had deadlines so what they did manage to squeeze in was probably a 'on their own time' kinda thing. But generally, the files to check out are the ginc include, the common inc, secret inc, the ga_ and gc_ scripts, the activate item and other switches scripts for the variables, the inc_partywide, the gai_ for special ai, and the henchman inc - but not to alter them. Just knowing how they work helps make using the toolset easier - and that is a learning experience that can help you figure out your own stuff.
Naming conventions for tags and resrefs are also vital for sanity haha. Like, using a two letter prefix for your mod allows you to use the tagbased scripting function - that's an on module load script (just search in the toolset with the word "mod").
Hope that helps someone.