Krumarth's Journal

Character Biographies, Journals, and Stories

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Razzaband

Krumarth's Journal

Unread post by Razzaband » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:35 pm

*The journal that you examine is rather grimy and torn. The leather cover holds no title on the front nor the side. The pages have scattered dirt spots, drips of mucus, pus, tears, and blood.*

*11th April 2012*

Dear Journal,

I might not have much time, as...as I might die soon. I currently have a minuscule amount of food and water. Still I am stuck in this accursed tunnel. Seems last night one of the vermin feasted on my thigh, as if my condition was not bad enough. It appears to be the bite of a rat...oh by the gods, I won't last much longer. I sent Meeko, my weasel to look for aid, perhaps I should have rethought that as I require some company. My body currently has a high density of sores. Though I always look at my hands, so perfect they are, so smooth, so clean of this blight upon me. Today I did pick out a few luminescent flowers, heh I bet Kaltyra would like them, if I could see her again.

Maybe
Maybe not
Maybe
Maybe not

I think I just heard something, a piercing howl, a horrid beast. Even a squeal, darnit! Why in all of Baator does my leg have to be mutilated, having a running fever, all in the underdark! I hope that was not Meeko. Maybe I just need rest, forget the notes Krumarth! He d...

*The entry finishes abruptly, the last word with a smear.*
Last edited by Razzaband on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Krumarth Sorth: Orc Wizard
Audree Behiz: Guardian of the Slumbering Fire
Quinn Hijo: The Mind Mage
Razzaband Arashem: Dead
Mathew Hillock: Dead

Razzaband

Re: Krumarth's Journal

Unread post by Razzaband » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:03 am

*The next few pages have detailed glyphs and series of arcanic words to compliment them. Finally there is a new page with text instead of arcane babble.*

*12th April 2012*

Dear Journal,

Meeko has returned from his departure! Oh I thought the squeal yesterday was his death, but he survived. Unfortunately Meeko is injured as well, as it appears to be a mark from a dirlagraun's barbed tentacle. Sadly Meeko did not return with food or any drinkable liquid that may quench thirst, though he did come back with two vials. After an analysis was performed on them, I was able to distinguish the magic liquid as a healing substance. One was for Meeko and the other for me. After drinking the refreshing substance, I took a look at my leg and it seemed to be fully recovered. I still have one problem, the sickness afflicted upon me. I must seek for a healer, as I can move around but slowly. I have an idea where it came from...and I am fearful of it. The man I know who caused this intervened with my dream. He is king of the maggots, spreader of disease, and worst of all...his pale white hands had clenched for my shoulder. Only to spread his misery to atone for my rebellion.

Sincerely,
Krumarth Sorth
Last edited by Razzaband on Wed May 30, 2012 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Razzaband

Unread post by Razzaband » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:04 am

*13th April 2012*

Dear Journal,

Ah, I was able to carry myself out of the tunnels into the main city, Sshamath. There I searched for one to aid me in my problem. I couldn't walk much longer until collapsing due to limited fatigue, so I went into the tavern for help. There I found Alienor, and I could barely concentrate on breathing. Luckily she was able to withstand the conversation long enough to cure the disease that was brought upon me. I was told to leave which I did depart after I asked the question what happened the past three days. No one could answer it so I just assumed nothing major happened.

I went back to the area where I usually test spells. Those illithid do not see it coming, honestly. While exploring the loathsome home of the mindflayers, I did find Kaltyra. At first I was mentally panicking (Did not display it though) that Kaltyra was coming at a bad time. Being in the form of a baatezu, specifically a horned one. Anyhow I assumed my original form in order to talk to Kaltyra without suspicion. We had discussed matters about Gruk, and the Alhoon threat but then finally she mentioned she was soon going to head back to the surface. I was afraid the Mythal was going to strike me down if I left but it seemed not for I traveled up to the surface with her. I can't really remember how we got through the planar maze though. After exiting Durlag's Tower, we left for Beregost. There we found a scholar of the arcane by the name of Callow, strange conversation it was. There Grog came by as well and we discussed over the issue of getting Gruk out.

After the long talk of a way to free Gruk, I departed to go to the Friendly Arm Inn to see recent rumors and news on the surface. I found out that Nroc's reputation is infamous. We did argue over the issue if summoning a devil was a act of evil. My thoughts of it was that if necessary to save those in need of help then yes. One may get information out of a devil, though they do bend what the answer is but I assume they can't outright lie. I figured I needed to rest a bit. I am thinking of returning to the Underdark to not be, unnoticed for too long.

Razzaband

Unread post by Razzaband » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:46 am

*The writing on this page seems to be distorted in relation to the other pages*

*14th April 2012*

Dear Journal,

Well I have been sitting in the tavern for nearly half the day nursing on a stein of cider. A fight did almost break out between two drunks but it was stopped almost instantly. Perhaps I shouldn't of attempted to increase it to 15 feet in diameter. My hand is nearly blown apart from that...and now I must write with my left hand for today, sitting in a tavern to rest. I tried to improve the gate spell so it could become a mythal spell. I have been experimenting with what can come out of the gate I produce and it hasn't been so great. One time I was so confused, I almost summoned a devil, which probably would of been the end of me. What is making this spell so hard to perform, I know beyond the basics but I can't do it.
Last edited by Razzaband on Wed May 30, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Razzaband

Unread post by Razzaband » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:50 am

*18th April 2012*

Dear Journal,

It has been a couple of days since I have written in my journal due to the improved Gate spell I have been working on lately. Regardless, quite a lot has actually happened these past few days. Though sadly I neglected my journal for too long to remember some of the fine details. Seems the entire plan to join the Seventh Circle was a waste of time since Gruk is free to run about now. Still, since I gave my word to fight against the illithilich and his servants I must stay down here until the war is done. I am very happy for Gruk, for he can visit the Sword Coast. If I do make it out of the war alive, I will return to the surface to join him, but for now I must prepare myself for the upcoming events to unfold. I just need to keep practicing, to keep studying, and to keep experimenting. A couple of days ago, I did meet a fellow named Guilhem. Despite his way with words, his charisma often leads to indirect insults that he may be oblivious to. As if he thinks I am arrogant enough to judge one who may be at a lower level of society than me. I had to keep my self calm when he made rude jokes about Gruk...real snob that drow is. Our meeting was interrupted by a tiefling I had met earlier by the name of Alys. Her initial innocence made it even worse, it's like everyone in the underdark is crooked in some way, shape, or form. I can't trust anyone down here.

Razzaband

Unread post by Razzaband » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:25 am

*24th April 2012*

Dear Journal,

I question the point of my existence, for I only besmirch myself and disturb the people I interact with. Am I just a mere pest, only bothering those among me. What good am I if I can't share something of benefit. Should I allow instincts to control my life, should I be an animal. I attempt to undo what you can't by will.

Razzaband

Unread post by Razzaband » Wed May 30, 2012 8:52 am

*29th May 2012*

Dear Journal,

Maybe I should go back to the Endless Waste, it is not like I am needed. Go back to the life I used to have. To roam the barrens once more, the hot summers, the cold winters. Hopefully I can get there before the dust storms hit. I will have to live by myself I guess, my tribe is most likely dead already, not like I care about them anyways. I still remember the nights I was sent out to scout ahead. Winters were the worse since the wind would blow off the Great Ice Sea. It was only a cart, Meeko, and I, the best of friends. We would walk the lands, searching for a new group of people to kill. Set the explosive, and you see the fiery hells before you. The ashes of burnt flesh arising in the sky was always unpleasant, the screams only made it worse. Slowly I grew more, and more desensitized to the uttermost horrors of murdering innocents. I don't know how I survived out of that, both physically and mentally. This was all just for food and shelter back at the tribe once I told them of the news. Even then, food was sparse, water was even more so. Every time I came back, I noticed that a few people were gone, most likely killed over supplies or another raid had happened. Our people always were so broken, yet moved on, life in the Hordelands was rough.

Razzaband

Unread post by Razzaband » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:20 am

*4th June 2012*

Dear Journal,

"How is it that an orc can achieve such a thing"

Those words still dwell in my mind, can we not just accept what has happened. It was on a night, the fierce dusty winds striking against me. I searched persistently, but then eventually I had to find shelter, for the dust storms killed many. I waited within a nearby cave, checking what was inside. It was a robed man, clutching at a book of his. He never did blink, nor move. He was just a nest for flies and maggots, as well as the rats that were feasting on him. I ignited a spare stick of wood I had using one of my roughly produced alchemist fire vials. I advanced, carefully moving closer to the corpse, the sudden light caused the rats to scurry off. I knelt down to the cold rocky floor, observing the man. His face screamed of hopelessness, terror, and doom. Slowly I slid the book out, allowing the maggots to crawl on my skin. I laid the book down and picked off the maggots. Then I opened the book and my eyes saw a vast collection of knowledge. I flipped through pages seeing various glyphs and diagrams. Then I noticed a sharp pain on my hand, as a weasel was bitting it. I grabbed by the throat, slowly crushing its neck, but it looked at me with sad eyes. I freed it from my hand and it ran to the corner. I then offered it a hunk of my spare bread, and it took it. I have no idea why I called him Meeko, but it seemed to fit. We sat in the cave for hours, waiting for the storm to end, in the meantime I started examining the diagrams. There it started, a spark of interest struck me. I went for the rest of the man's supplies and when the dust storm ended, I ran out. I had something new to do on spare time, to learn the wonders of this new concept. I was determined, I had something that the rest back at the tribe didn't have, arcane knowledge.

Razzaband

Unread post by Razzaband » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:47 pm

*3rd July 2012*

Dear Journal,

"I would...take a daughter...of yours"

What type of sick man is this, to even say such a thing. The first thought that ran through my mind was Kaltyra's children. Fortunately he doesn't know yet or even has a clue. He is causing far too much stress on the both of us, and also imposes a danger. There are also rumors of him running a group of bandits, which sounds like his "mercenary company" he has previously mentioned to me. This gives me another reason to just kill him. I cannot allow him near Kaltyra or her children at any cost. The very thought I abhor to its core. And to think I trusted him as a friend, someone to fight alongside with, how gullible of me. I care for her deeply, I am affectionate about her. I wrote this to get it off my mind, a way to express my inner feelings. Wrath will slowly devour and destroy your very nature, something I do not wish for. I know of this personally from my experience back home, in the Hordelands. But someone you thought to be a friend who said what he said...

Andros, I am coming after you...

Razzaband

Unread post by Razzaband » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:08 pm

*24th July 2012*

Dear Journal,

I craved something in my life, a force pulling me stronger than my affinity toward magic. Something I loved more than Mystra's gift. It is quite strange for a wizard to state that, as our lives revolve around the arcane energy that flows through almost every corner of existence, and yet, there was something I found far more important.

Even when I was allowed the chance, I still failed. I am completely lost in emotions, I can't seem to function like I used to. I even resorted to burning my notes and books to release the anger and pain kept within. It meant nothing, it was all just ashes drifting in the wind when you look right down to it. My dream shattered in front of me, watching it all fall apart. Ever since that night. . .that one night, I have attempted to pursue her out of curiosity. The feeling was new to me, I actually enjoyed it but kept it to myself. I didn't want her to know, I was partially ashamed of it. The shout from home still echoing in my mind, telling me to stay away. I didn't try my best, I failed her. . .acted completely selfish and only thought of myself. To have her all to myself.

Reminds me of Andros, who wants an orc lass all to himself. I have found similarities between us, despite my hatred toward him. Both exiled from our lands, seeing war all our lives. I still kept him alive, I could of killed him in that spar. I am growing soft, that murderous frame of mind fading away slowly.

I don't know if I should try, or just let it be. To just watch in anguish as I am reminded of the dreams once forged in my mind. Apparently our connection meant nothing, as if all I had planned was just a waste of time. If only I could explain to her what I feel, one chance. I want to succeed for once. . .

Just once. . .

*Below is the symbol for universal magic*

Razzaband

Unread post by Razzaband » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:20 pm

*2nd August 2013*

Dear Journal,

Ever since my return to the Coast, for some time now there has been a number of different things going on and I am starting to wonder if I can even handle them all. The Trillium is reorganizing ever since Azmodeth 'left' and we are looking only at the three of us. I am not even a full member yet, just a mere apprentice but after some time has passed and I show my commitment, that is when I can truly voice my opinion. Then there is Triel in which I have aided a bit but now we must worry about the expansion of the Zhents. Then there are these ancient elven books I have in my possession that I must take into consideration of any potential threat in the future. If only the Coast could get a break from all this nonsense and we could just live in peace. But I must keeping looking forward and hold my head up high, for there is much to be done.

Razzaband

Unread post by Razzaband » Sat May 13, 2017 10:40 pm

A white void is laid out as far as the eye can see. All around rushes bone-chilling winds in every direction with only a few steps or so out visible. It then grows dark and quiet with only the sounds of heavy footsteps to be heard. "What to do. . .", Krumarth mumbles to himself. He pauses and runs his hands along the icy cavern walls around him, feeling the smooth cold surface on his fingers. He sighs and for a moment stares blankly at the wall.

A sudden rush of hot blood runs through him and he roars with all the rage built up in his heart. He grows silent,
"It isn't fair, none of it is." He moves to a desk and pulls out a chair to seat himself. He slides out a leather-bound book from a nearby shelf, flips through the pages then places it down softly. He takes a quill, dips it into ink and begins scratching into the pages.

*May 13 2017*

Dear Journal,

As a child, I was told those of us who survived, who kept on living on were Gruumsh's favored. By our endurance and strength, we were his chosen. All the other tribes were weak, false, and deserved to be under us. Such is common of a Gray Orc's mindset. They were to be hated, just as the same as any other human, elf, or dwarf. Anyone who wasn't us was filth. We took what was ours whether by forcing submission or prying it from their cold dead hands. Usually the latter. Those ones were always the most haunting. Their eyes always seemed desolate, defeated. Everything they lived for, gone and to be long forgotten.

Many years later, all of us learned that -we- were never Gruumsh's chosen, the hard way. The lies we told ourselves to bring meaning to our hellish existence were soon exposed for what they were. Pathetic excuses for why we followed Gruumsh and praised him. Why the strongest demonstrated their might for Bahgtru. Why Luthic allowed the mothers to birth healthy children. Why Illneval gave us insights to what was to come in battle. Why under the darkness of night we lived our fullest under Shaargas's cover. And why Yurtrus kept his pale hands away from our throats. In witnessing the death of my tribe, I saw the agony that filled them. The fear that they were nothing but waste on the steppes we lived and died on.

It was when the sun set beyond the distant mountains. It was a beauty to watch. I felt the warmth of the sun upon my skin. A gentle breeze coming from the northern glaciers, and before me a canvas with so many relaxing colors washed over from bright reds and yellows to dusty magenta. A hand had found it's way to my shoulder and I looked behind me. "Krumarth, you did well these past few days.", the chieftain said to me with a wide grin. It was one of the few times someone was pleased with my work. "It was easy for us to recover the supplies of the Tuigan tribe. There wasn't even any of those little runts to silence, crying and babbling about their dead parents. Thought it's always fun to chase then down and slice them up. My axe cuts through them so easily!" He chuckled, then his expression became serious. "Time for you to go again, find some others for us to take from." What? WHAT!? I just got back! I want rest and I want to relax and watch the sun, and. . .I don't have enough supplies. I need time to prepare the alchemical mixtures! "It really pisses me off when a weakling like you wrinkles his face up in anger like that when I'M AROUND." Damn, I really messed up this time, I had thought. Usually I played the coward who knew his place but this time. . ."Almost like you want to kill me, is that a challenge boy?" He grabbed me by the neck, lifting a grown orc's body off the ground. My feet were kicking, trying to push me off of him. My hand trying to pry his off. My head was spinning, the world around me beginning to unravel. I clawed, and clawed, and clawed. . .but my life was fading from me. His eyes were locked onto me with no discernible emotion. He was going to kill me without a worry in the world.

Next thing I know I'm hitting the ground with the last of my breath knocked out of me before again gasping for air. The world was coming back to me and I was hearing horns echoing in the distance. The chief gave me one last stomp, "I'll deal with you later.", then walked away from me like I was garbage that he left behind.

Razzaband

Unread post by Razzaband » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:32 am

14 Chess 1355

It's always good to spend time reflecting, both in the internal self and the external world. For now, the pain in my heart and the rage in blood has settled. It appears as long as you have coin and cause no trouble, the Amnians will tolerate your existence. So I am settled down in Nashkel for now, one of the few towns that will allow an orc such as myself to live. Soubar has grown rather dangerous, moreso than the usual. Devil summoners, necromancers, the Ebon Blade. They grow bold in their demonstrations, and seem less scared to those who would oppose them. Combined with the devils who come from the hells to the material plane in search of artifacts, the darkness is growing stronger everyday.

I wonder what Gruumsh thinks of me these days? Amused? Angered? Who knows, but I will continue to exist as an antithesis to his intentions. Nonetheless, he has failed in his attempts to ruin civilization and he has failed my kin greatly. Every passing day, adventurers wander into the woods and slay his children. Each orc dead must be humiliating for him surely and yet, he does nothing for us.

Despite being our creator, my kin should abandon him, for he offers nothing to us but suffering and failure. One day I wish for us to leave his command and walk our own path as a race. But such a thing will not happen anytime soon. The elves, and the humans, they harbor great hatred of our kind. Much is the same for orcs when we look at them. Standing from a more distant point and observing this relationship, it almost seems a viscous cycle feeding on itself. What can we do to break this?

Atria has expressed quite passionately trying to reform orcs. I have spoken much to her about our culture, our lives and how we see the world. I have become distant from our way of life, but I still remember closely what life in the Hordelands was. I do not know much of our mountain cousins, but grey orcs are indoctrinated since the day we are born. The religious fervor is deeply rooted in our minds and is all we know how to live for. I too used to be that way. I think it practically impossible to take a tribe and remove them from the influence of the gods. The clergy itself must be removed to stop the teachings from reaching the youth, to allow the younger of our kind to think for themselves. We must teach self-reflection, self-reliance, and constant thought of the world around us. All of this while defending ourselves from the elves, dwarves, and humans.

When I first came to the coast, I was cautious, scared of humans and elves. The unfortunate part, is that it still remains now. Humans are varied in their nature. Like orcs, they too seem to be shaped by their environment, especially the social context they exist in. Atria spoke great lengths of human society to me. They differ much from our tribes as despite our 'survival of the fittest' mentality, we still function as close communities. Humans, they place themselves in categories based on the power they have access to, whether that be what seems like coin, divine right, or noble rule. They too have quite a problematic society. As for elves, they are so alien to me. I try to speak with Atria of their culture but they keep things hidden. In their isolation their minds will remain closed and the hatred they have for others will boil. Elves are not as just as they think and that arrogance they carry is sickening.

I do not know for where we will go from here. Despite living in protest to Gruumsh, I still care deeply for my kind. Every day I wonder how many tribes are going extinct as humans and elves hunt us. Atria states I should build influence in Nashkel. Perhaps as I meditate some more on our existence, I should. But deep down, I do not wish to do this. I wish to live, to breath as any other being would. I wish to live freely and without fear of the eyes that watch me. There is much work to be done.

Razzaband

Unread post by Razzaband » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:30 pm

13 Kythorn 1355

An Efreet, a Black Dragon, and an Elder Tree all together. Why are they together? If you do not know and the reason for why they must be kept secret in their use then do not investigate the text of the entry any further than the plain ink on these pages.

I reflect back on the choices I have made to arrive as the person I am now. It's an odd mixture of pride, regret and longing. How many people have been hurt to place their hopes on me to grow and flourish? If I were to pass right now as the gods have deemed it so then so shall it be. One thing for certain is that very few individuals will care. Most of everyone I knew is gone or dead and my heart aches too much to reach out to others. But should I be given the chance, should I be gifted with a good long life, I must continue to help to care for others around me. I have a duty to make up for the past, a duty to show my gratitude to Mystra for all she has given me with the Weave, and a duty to provide a better future for all.

With that in mind there is also what I want to do, separate from what I should do. I wish to make this world more cooperative, more peaceful, and more comfortable to live in. Some may claim such desires to be wishful thinking, but this is what I seek to work towards, even if I make small strides in such. Of course this requires one to actively combat the evils that haunt it but more importantly is the patience to endure and influence what can be changed to move in such a direction. Secondly, a more selfish desire is to settle down, maybe raise a family and teach what children I have the wonders of this world. But, such is unlikely for what I am and who I really am inside.

For the time being I have given Meekos to Atria to take care of as I take my leave to finish some business. I trust her enough to take care of my familiar and lifelong friend. I know the risks associated with this are hard on the both of them but this is something I must do, not only for myself but to ensure I can continue providing my services for the future.

If I do not return I would like this book to be reduced to ash, my spellbooks (arcanabula and great book) and notes torn apart and collection of texts to be shared. Meekos would return to his original animal state so I would like for him to be let go. Whatever else I possess that is found I have no need for and can be used for whatever one finds a use for them with.

What prompts me to think of such? Well lets just say I always doubt everything I observe and experience.

Mystra guide me. Eldath keep me safe.

Razzaband

Unread post by Razzaband » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:04 pm

18 Kythorn 1355

I feel like I was almost two decades ago again, when I was young orc. Yet another sacrificed themselves. A duty of theirs, and now they see it fulfilled. Now that duty lies on me, and I must give in return for the hopes placed on me.

I have noticed both visible and sensory effects since the journey I made. In my reflection I no longer see grey in my hair, my skin looks a healthier shade of green, and my teeth, especially my tusks, seem to be repairing. I also don't feel the ache in my bones and muscles as I had before. Everything seems to have worked. Meekos is happy too being back with me and seeing me fare better than I had before. I missed the little guy, I really did.

For what has been given to me I will now try to use it to heal this world in my own way. Since meeting the near end of my research all of it feels empty lest I use it for something. As of late I have been trying to make efforts to combat the devils. The humans and elves do not trust me, but as long as there are fiends infesting the material plane so aggressively I cannot stand back and hide. I've journeyed through the lands, seeing nothing but the destruction, the harm, and the cruelty they have left behind. I will not let them continue destroying my home while I stand.

Hopefully the humans and elves will come around to see I mean nothing but good intention helping them. But it is okay if they do not and remain in their ignorance. What matters is that we save these lands and the lives that inhabit them.