Religion in Baldur's Gate (Player/DM IC RP)

The "Year of the Dragon" Campaign

Moderators: Moderator, DM

kleomenes
Recognized Donor

Re: Religion in Baldur's Gate (Player/DM IC RP)

Unread post by kleomenes »

kleomenes wrote:Once more, Brother Ameris gave a sermon on the streets of Baldur's Gate. Again Telia Santraeger stood nearby in Ilmatari colours, as did Brother Gobin of Ilmater, both bearing banners of the Broken God.

It is rumoured this sermon related to justice, and was given in support of the petition being promoted to promote mercy as an integral part of Baldur's Gate's laws.
Hidden: show
Vadim Morozov, Dreadmaster.
Former Characters: Mel Darenda, Daug'aonar, Dural Narkisi, Cynric Greyfox, Ameris Santraeger, Cosimo Delucca, Talas Marsak.
kleomenes
Recognized Donor

kleomenes wrote:A petition is left in the Temple of Ilmater, near Brother Khalso's guard post. It is in open view, and visitors to the temple are invited to read and and sign it, if their conscience so dictates.
To their Esteemed Graces, the Grand Dukes of Baldur's Gate,

Conveyed care of the Grand Narlhelm,

We the undersigned write in order to petition their Graces regarding the application of the laws of the city, mindful of the sufferings which the sufferings of 1351 and the siege of Baldur's Gate have laid upon this city's enduring citizens.

Songs are sung of how the rule of law aids peace and fosters freedom, so long as the laws are just and those who enforce them lenient and understanding. And it is said among worshipers of the Triad that the law is just when it is tempered with mercy.

We the undersigned all cherish the city of Baldur's Gate for the openness and tolerance of its people, and their rulers. This freedom flourishes because the city looks to Tyr, not Bane, for its jurisprudence.

The city is economically distressed and its people have faced bravely the threats of plague and war. Those who remain have been through much, and we the undersigned feel it is a time that the law should be applied with a nuance that accounts for merciful rehabilitation along with proper, proportionate punishment.

This petition to their Graces came about when a man, a thief but who by negilgence and Beshaba's curse, knocked down another in his flight from the watch, who cracked his head open and died. The thief, a starving man, sought bread from his family. To steal from others is not the way, but his crime was not equivalent to plunging a blade into his fellow citizens heart.

According to the strict code of the city's laws he was a killer of his fellow man and faced the noose, although the watch officers present kindly agreed to place a plea of mercy before the magistrates, so that instead of facing death, the man could instead serve the community as a punishment, alleviating the hardship he himself was victim of and was the true author of the disturbance.

Their esteemed Graces will be well aware of the fiery civil strife engendered by the nefarious virtuous soil, whose lies found ready and willing ears due to the hardship faced by the people during the plague; but the charitable mercies offered by their esteemed Graces during the plague did much to reaffirm the people's belief in their good government. Perhaps an iron fist uprooted the Virtuous Soil, but it was the just government of their esteemed Graces that meant the rebel's roots were not so deep. Such as will prove true with the Crimson Blade.

And their esteemed Graces will no doubt be aware of the lessons of recent history to the south, as well, where the lords of Tethyr demanded absolute obedience during harsh winters, inspired by the spreading faith of Bane, and heedless of the desperation of starving men. In the end they received an outburst of civil strife that shows no sign of abating. There, the lessons of the Baneite approach to law are much in evidence, and it reminds one that his goal is not order, but strife. Such ways are alien to this city.

We the undersigned believe that mercy, based on mitigating context, or a belief in rehabilitation, should be an integral part of the application of law in this city - an integral part of the justice of this city. We beg their esteemed Graces to send down a directive to the City Watch and magistrates, to punish guilt, but consider while doing so the level of culpability.

One single punishment for a crime will lead to injustice, for justice to be proportionate there needs to be discretion to replace the harshest penalties with lesser ones when there are mitigating factors.

Such is the petition of the undersigned.

Signed
Brother Ameris Santraeger, Temple of Ilmater
Squire Mayra Dooran, Order of the Silver Rose
Thistle
Sirion Te'Dwa
Archmage Teharissa Vennelis, Bluesummer Acadmey
Senior Knight Erza Aldren, Order of the Radiant Heart
Krostin Dukesworth
Desrah Asher
Rayre of Torm
Alessia Nichole De'Lille
Rose Valexe
Agathion
Elvina Aira-S'efarro, Knight Commander of the Order of the Silver Rose, signing on behalf of the entire order
Telia Santraeger - Steward of Pathfinder Hall, Director of the White Mask Theater, Editor-in-chief of the Baldur's Gate Herald, Priestess of Mystra

///if your character would sign, leave a post below and I will edit this post!
The Petition Thread
Former Characters: Mel Darenda, Daug'aonar, Dural Narkisi, Cynric Greyfox, Ameris Santraeger, Cosimo Delucca, Talas Marsak.
Boddynock

Unread post by Boddynock »

A tall bronze-skinned tiefling with golden hair and resplendent blue-lacquered armor has been seen roaming the streets of Balder's Gate and the farmlands beyond. Normally not a remarkable occurrence apart from his rich garb, but this man carried with him a banner of Tymora enchanted to frame the silk cloth with a softly glowing flame. And if the lordly-looking man with the flaming banner weren't enough to draw the eyes of those he passed, he seemed to examine each person on the street; seemingly at random approaching some and offering them a handful of gold coin along with the greeting, "Tymora smiles on you today, friend." before walking away with nary a glance behind.

Liam the Golden
Illdraen, Guerilla Skirmisher of Sshamath
Guy "Knife-Ears" Masterson
Boddynock Namfoodle, Illusionist Extraordinaire! (temporary leave of absence, again)

"Liam the Golden, so I have heard,
Yet truly none can polish a...
" - Ameris Santraeger, 2016
The Harpers

Unread post by The Harpers »

A song begins circulating the inns and taverns of Baldur's Gate. Rumour has it that it was first heard when a local Priest of Ilmater recited in the palace district, looking towards the Temple of Tymora. It goes as follows:

Liam the Golden, so I am told,
Preaching loud for Tymora the Bold.

His deeds say different, if only they knew,
How he cooked up for Bhaal an Elven stew;

How he sang softly for foul servants of Bane;
How he sought to bring meek innocents cruel pain!

Liam the Golden, so I have heard,

In its original form the last word is left unsung, for audiences to shout out their suggestions, although whether that survives contact with tavern singers or not is unclear.

Yet as the song passes through the rumour mill, it becomes apparent that it is being spread from Harper sources.
Last edited by The Harpers on Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boddynock

The Harpers wrote: Liam the Golden, so I am told,
Preaching loud for Tymora the Bold.

His deeds say different, if only they knew,
How he cooked up for Bhaal an Elven stew;

How he sang softly for foul servants of Bane;
How he sought to bring meek innocents cruel pain!

Liam the Golden, so I have heard,
"Long have these "do-gooders" hidden behind
The cover of shadow, paying the world no mind.
The concern themselves not, with the burden of proof,
For a faceless group has no use for the truth.

These "paladins" they say, do good all the day,
And yet it seems to most, up and down the Coast,
That all they do well is condemn others to hell.

A "priest of Ilmater" would never be so base,
To come to a goodly temple and deface,
The reputation of a man Tymora knows true.
I don't believe that man is Ilmatari, do you?

Next time, my friend, you come to MY house,
Perhaps consider bringing your spouse!
Then you could take the time to explain,
Why a priest of Ilmater would ignore so much pain.
The pain I speak of, caused by the Zhents,
With whom your beloved worked quite a long stint.

Run along now, tail betwixt your legs.
Perhaps next time you can muster better than dregs
Of poorly matched verse, and ill spoken prose.
And perhaps next time challenge a man with a smaller hose."

In almost no time a "second verse" is released and the song metamorphoses into a bawdy tavern ditty, with one side of the room boisterously singing the first verse, while the second half of the room just as loudly responds with the second. Many laughs are had over many drinks, and while to tune is catchy and fun, who can say how many actually grasp the meaning of its lyrics. Despite the limited understanding of the common man over the meaning, many a drunken tavern brawl has broken out over who wrote the song to begin with, with some claiming it was the Harpers, and some attributing the lyrics to Liam himself, but who can say for certain...? Despite the uncertainty there, one thing is almost always certain; the song is practically never heard without the second verse following right behind.
Liam the Golden
Boddynock Namfoodle, Illusionist Extraordinaire! (temporary leave of absence, again)

Rhifox
Retired Admin (Acting Assistant Admin)

Unread post by Rhifox »

Rhifox wrote:The following message is put up on the Baldur's Gate message board. It is written with a common person's handwriting and left unsigned.
People of Baldur's Gate!

The gods demand respect and yet our rulers forbid worship to many. Are not death and disease and war and destruction signs of the gods' anger? Still the walls lie broken from the unholy armies that carried the wrath of Myrkul and Talona and Talos. Bane leaves threats at our doorsteps and not a tenday ago even Sêlune's face was obscured and shadows became violent with Shar's rage! When will they strike again?

We spurn the gods and they meet our disrespect with their fury! End these rulings and let worship be given to all the gods. Stop inviting their wrath!
While the original copy of the above notice was torn down (originally replaced with a simple paper depicting a smiley face, though that was torn down as well), it was replaced with a series of additional messages debating the topic.
Praised be the Triad and Seldarine! Damned be the gods who demand worship with fear.

Respect the gods who return love with love. Fight those who instill fear.

Praise Sehanine Moonbow.
The man who would fight gods leaves himself and all around him victims of their divine fury. How many more good folk must die for the pride of a few? If you spurn and blaspheme the gods we all feel their wrath.

Good folk fear the gods because the gods' wrath is terrible. Donations and orphanages and soup kitchens are made because real homes are destroyed and real people are killed. Suffering is real and we face it because of man's pride.

Stop the blaspheming. Give all the gods their due respect, not just a few.
Down with your foul gods, stranger! Down with your bloody fear mongering gods. Sehanine herself can slay them with but an arrow if the laws allowed her!
They're not my gods. They're our gods. Just like the gods of love or mercy or justice, they are in each of our lives. Every time we are sick, Talona is empowered. Every time we are afraid, every time there is strife, Bane. Every death has Myrkul's hand, and when the night is deep Shar grows.

Respect them and they will be merciful. Blaspheme against them and they will ruin us. Your pride damns us all.
Screw Talona. If you are sick pray to Ilmater to guide you through. Why be afraid when you can tell Bane to stick it. Grab a dance partner and enjoy life for Sune has blessed you with love. Time spent praising Myrkul is wasted. Enjoy your life, sing, dance and laugh, for even if one day Myrkul may take you, he does not get to keep you. Why look to the darkness when Selune lights the night's sky.

Take your evil gods and leave. We don't want them.

-Trissa
They exist. It don't matter if you want them or not. They exist and they hurt people. You can't dance when you've lost family. You can't laugh if your friends get cursed.

I can't "take the gods and leave." You can't ban them neither. The only thing that makes them go away is showing them respect. Angering them brings them to you.
Then let them come. Unlike you I am not hiding. For every evil god's wrath I bring upon myself, a good god smiles upon me. I will side with them every time.

The good people of Baldur's Gate and the Dukes will not pander to this fear mongering.
To serve a god of evil is no service at all.
After the last two messages, no further replies are put up by the original writer.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

A rather unimpressed blonde-haired elven female garbed in Mystra's distinctive blue and white made her way into the Temple of Tymora in the palace district. She immediately approached Lady Priestess Neeta and handed her a sealed and rolled parchment. The Mystran remained until it had been read over and would discuss its contents further with the head of Tymora's church in private.

Boddynock

A number of new songs have popped up over the past few days, the music written seemingly to be as catchy as possible to facilitate the songs spreading; which they do with the aid of a tall, golden-haired bard.

-----

The time has come again, friends, for one of our games.
I'll tell you the hints, see if you can guess the name!

This woman pays a lot of coin, to make herself look good,
Yet most would be happy if she simply did as she should.
Due to her charity, she thinks the court of public opinion,
will forgive the lack of evidence supporting her position.

She murdered a man, during a time of great grief,
Undead were in the City, killing innocents in the streets.
This woman choose that time, when innocents were dying,
as cover for her crime, for mass confusion requires little lying.

Yes she murdered her man, using an invasion as cover,
What was the reason? Naught but the complaint of a jilted lover!
After the undead were slain, and the killings had abated,
She acted innocent, yet she should be defenestrated!*

Hundreds of innocents lost, and this woman saw fit
To murder a man over nothing; so please have a sit,
And think to yourself, "Who could this be?"
"Who is this monster, and will she come after me?"

Alas my friends, I have no doubts she will,
But hope still abounds, there is salvation still.
But this woman's name, murderess in disguise?
"Endelyon Castillo", oh my, but don't act surprised.

I have said this before, I have listed her crimes,
And yet for my trouble I wasn't given the time
To explain what she did, show all the true way.
Instead I was assaulted, while she threw truth away.

But if you fear the wrath of Endelyon the Traitor,
The total lack of mercy in the heart of this instigator.
If you tire of her deceit, her facade of lies,
Then with her, I suggest, you break all your ties.

I implore you, instead, come and seek the Lady's Hall
For the Lady Who Smiles welcomes one and all.
Come give up your worries, your trouble and strife
And let Lady Luck guide the fate of your life.

*-To save those of you who aren't native english speakers the trouble of googling this, defenestrated has two definitions (cleverly, both work here), 1: to throw someone out of a window, 2: to remove someone from a position of power or authority

-----

Lets talk this time friends, about the groups on the Coast
This one loved by many, perhaps loved the most!
And yet, for some reason, by some mystery,
We allow them the courtesy of no identity.
Their members kept secret, their agenda is hidden.
But who calls the shots, and makes them do as they are bidden?

I may have been content, to let these pigs stay in their sty,
But they must have missed the lesson; "Let sleeping dogs lie."
And a traitor, I fear, has infiltrated their ranks.
And now like a river, burst beyond it's banks
Their original course, their purpose, their intent,
has been subject, I'm afraid, to wild dismemberment.

Where once we had trust, now we have lies.
The time has come to pull away the disguise.
The have betrayed their own codes, a very sad fact,
but we must unmask the Harpers, so we can clean up their act.
Let us return this group to its former glory,
Build it back up to the things once storied.

But before we can start, a purge is in needed,
We must root out the traitors, so truth can be seeded.
I think we all agree, we want the old Harpers back.
People willing to defend against evil's attack.
I you feel this way, if you agree with me,
Call for the truth of their identity.

Pull off the masks, without worry or fret,
It's a traitor were after, and we'll cast a fine net.
What we call for is a return to truth and good,
We call for a band of Harpers that act the way they should!
If the thought of a masked traitor has your life in distress,
Please worry not friends, we can clean up this mess.

I implore you, if concerned, come and seek the Lady's Hall
For the Lady Who Smiles welcomes one and all.
Come give up your worries, your trouble and strife
And let Lady Luck guide the fate of your life.

-----

This time, dear friends, let's talk about me.
How I'm not the man, you all think me to be.
Most have heard my story, but none get it right.
Let's take now the time, to bring it to light.

For much of my life, I cared little for others.
I cared for myself, heeded only my druthers.
It was, perhaps, the result of a lifetime of loss.
But any reasons for greed are worth less than dross.

So I'll not be taking, the time to explain,
The cycle by which tragedy leads to so much more pain.
The path I'm now on, with what time I have left,
Is to bring joy to others who are feeling bereft.

So back to the present, the story at hand,
The details of my travels, here in this land:

I once met an elf maid, fair haired and mild.
She made me question my path, one started as a child.
At first, my old self, I tried to get her in bed,
But as I watched her blossom, she planted a seed my head.

She tended it lovingly, she watched it grow,
She made clear different paths, new ones I could follow.
She gave such gentle guidance, this Mielikkan priestess,
And a seed of hope grew, ending struggles I thought ceaseless.

And so my heart expanded, thanks to this woman's love.
But then my checkered past hit me like a gauntlet-ed glove.
While I might have made plans, to make this woman my bride,
I had also forgotten, she was in fact my woman on the side.

But unfortunately for me, and for everyone involved,
There was a much bigger problem, needing to be solved.
There was a goddess in my head, crafting cruel deception.
Changing what I knew, changing my perception.

She told me that my friends, everyone I loved and knew,
Had been taken in her grasp, lies I could not see through.
And so I went on a quest, my heart having grown,
To save all my friends, repay the loyalty they'd shown.

Little did I know, the monsters that I faced.
Were all of my old friends, not monsters in their place.
But Beshaba's great lie, that these were monsters in masks,
Was all I could see, and killing monsters was my task.

I laid low the masses, is the story I'm told,
Is that my only Legacy, the curse of Liam the Gold?
But now you all know, all the little details,
The parts most don't tell, the parts that keep me from jail.

So next time you endeavor, to take a man to task,
Try to learn the full story, perhaps find him and ask?
Lest you want the truth, of your actions revealed,
Of how those that were sick are persecuted, not healed.

Do you think Ilmater, with all of his mercy,
Smiles down at you now, over this controversy?
You think the god of the broken, the injured and lame,
Takes pride when you force a man to relive his shame?

Perhaps he would prefer that you reach out, instead.
Offer the forlorn peace, and not a life of dread.
Not go to his temple, his one place of solace,
And belittle the man, make his life out to be lawless.

But what do I know, if I'm such a disgrace,
About the love of Ilmater, and his infinite grace.
Perhaps you are right, perhaps Ilmater would rather,
That his priest slander a man, with no evidence gathered.

Do you represent him, the Lord on the Rack?
Did he call you to do this, to lead this attack?
You take to the streets, you preach in his name,
While servants of good, you seek to defame.

Perhaps you missed a lesson, a sermon on forgiveness,
It seems to me apparent, retaliation is your business.
If vengeance is your aim, revenge to what you cater,
Then walk the Halls of Hoar and not the temple of Ilmater.

If you, like me, agree, that these actions are absurd,
Seek out Tymora's Temple and ask for Liam the Golden "Turd."

Come and be my guest, come and seek the Lady's Hall
For the Lady Who Smiles, will welcome one and all.
Come give up your worries, your trouble and your strife
And let Our Lady Luck, guide the fate of your life.
Liam the Golden

Boddynock

Over the past few days, a tall resplendently clad man has been running a small gaming booth under the banner of Tymora. It seems he is playing games of chance with the populace, encouraging the people to leave their fate in the hands of Lady Luck.

Among the visitors claiming to be an adherant of Tyr, exclaiming loudly that Tyr would not be pleased with her gambling...right before placing another bet. She walked away after playing for some time, seeming dejected perhaps, at having won nothing. Though it would appear that she lost nothing either, despite several magical items having changed hands multiple times over the course of her games.

Other visitors were not so eager to leave something so valuable as magical items in the hands of fate, yet despite this, it was perhaps the willingness to let Lady Luck have her say at all that saw this woman walk away with her purse fuller than when she arrived.

There was, at one point, some commotion caused. A dwarven visitor, apparently unhappy that he had lost a bet, accused the Tymoran of cheating, exclaiming "I saw that wink you filthy cheat, what are you trying to pull here?!" By all accounts the Tymoran resorted to protective magics to prevent violence while the guards took care of the problem. The dwarf, on being hauled away, was heard to shout, "Nobody pulls one over on Rufio Romero, just wait till my brothers get here you charlatan!"

Other notable visitors included a protector of Candlekeep who insisted his winnings be donated to the temple of Tymora, and a woman in Red Wizard garb.

((I would like to point out OOCly that I am not seeking DM intervention in the case with Rufio, as the threats and brandishing of a weapon were appropriately met with an arrest, as shown above.))
Liam the Golden

Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

The following poem finds itself pinned to the public noticeboard in the Gate's central square. Some folks might even feel inclined to put it to song, but it's message seems clear enough in any case. If removed, a second copy would soon be emerging in a far more accessible format for the masses.

An Ode to Truth

What is this game you play,
Guilt by association, all the day?
For if it truly were to be believed,
Is an oak by a thistle therefore a weed?

Of course you forget or ignore,
(it must indeed be quite the chore!)
That a heart can change
Despite your apparent rage.

Dark magics once her hands did swirl,
A heartless, cruel and unkind girl,
All which changed upon the day,
That Mystra took her pains away.

For truly, now, you surely see!
A Zhent a Mystran cannot be!
Taking oaths to the Mother of Magic,
oh now it would be quite tragic!

How the two have fought from old,
Now that's a story you've left untold,
That oaths to the Lady one cannot make,
If one's heart is black as slate.

It is clear, you see, when truth is spoken,
That magic's gift can be awoken,
And become the joy that it should be,
Rather than a past of misery.

But all these things, I surmise,
Come to you as no surprise,
Because the truth is not your goal,
Just to bark; groan and cajole.

The Dukes decreed some time ago,
That a break occurred, or didn't you know?
That a Zhent can turn against her god,
And start to turn a brand new sod.

Not to bury those whom she killed,
It is not denied, but now is willed,
To promote the good, and fight against,
Those with whom you've some interest?

Ah, alas! My fears are borne,
Upon the chaos of your storm,
You think that libel is you anchorage,
Against whose home's an orphanage?

What can I expect from words so bold,
Or guess, if only you were told,
That life has no value, meaning or worth,
Except to sit by wealth's warm hearth?

But far more comely, this I say,
To find a home not so far away,
Where love's strong ties have cast aside,
Yestermorn's chains that bound her tight.

Liam the Golden, could it be true?
That someone has not permitted you,
Her banner high for all to see,
And in her name spout tyranny?

Peace you say, but I see none,
Just tempers raised by what you've done,
Although I perceive there is no need,
To preach a lie because of greed.

In Tymora's name you proclaim,
That Telia is more or less the same,
But I digress to prove you wrong,
That lies are the lot of your unwholesome song.

Go tell the faithful what you've done,
And when offerings stop, what will come,
When your priestess kicks you in your bum,
Assuming you've not already turned to run?

Perhaps, next time, when you grow a brain,
You will think upon that blissful name,
Tymora, whom you claim to serve,
Now besmirched by your thoughtless nerve.
Boddynock

In short order a page is tacked on below:

Once again, you come, your words empty with boast.
You strut around spreading lies, up and down the Coast.
I've called you all out, and I'll do it again
To come and seek truth, where this fight did begin.

But it seems to me, alas, it seems to us all,
You fear finding the truth, in good Tymora's Hall.
I've invited you to come, a chance you did dismiss,
So I say to one and all, in your duties you are remiss.

I think it's safe to say, of this I have no doubt.
The seeds of truth in you and yours have found nought but drought.
I'll give you one more chance, to come and see me face to face,
I shouldn't have to tell you where, I assume you know the place.

I'll offer also this, a bit of friendly advice,
But only since you seem ill-prepared, your facts so imprecise.
Next time you step to me, to engage in a battle of wit,
You'd best actually come prepared, you insufferable ignorant twit.

((Just a quick OOC reminder, all this mud slinging is purely IC, I don't think anyone is an "insufferable ignorant twit."

Well, no one here anyway... :lol: ))
Liam the Golden

Boddynock

Liam has taken the proceeds from his gaming activities in the city and handed them over to the Temple, whilst simultaneously informing Leeta of his recent goings-on about town. He sticks around for a while, rubbing elbows with the patrons and playing a few games, before heading back out.

Liam the Golden

flipside43

Unread post by flipside43 »

Luke returns to temple of Tymora leaving a sizable donation upon the altar. The Tymoran moves through the temple searching for something before he sets up beside the wall to start playing a song for for the few gathered:

"This goes out to you player, you know who you are…"
The bard speaks softly over the sound of his lute as he develops the complexity of his song.

"Got to be careful, can’t let the evil of the gold trap ye,
so when you see me brother you better holla at me…"
The bard utters after playing through the melody a few times, still uttering softly before lifting his voice in song....

"Are you confused? Wonderin’ how it feels to walk a mile
in the shoes of a man who’s got nothing else to lose?
I grew through things ye arse will only sing about,
Ye run your mouth but ye don’t think or plan, ye lucks run out."

"Your simple words just don’t move me, your minor, we major,
you all up in this stage but don’t deserve to be a player!
Without your word you are a shell of a man,
I lost respect for brother, somethin’ you’ll never understand."

"I suggest ye take these words home and think them through,
Ye keep speaking on Tee I’ll split your arse in two..."

*he utters leaving the last words hanging as he finishes and moves to a back room to gamble.*
Luke Darius - Clansman of House Darius, Noble of Baldur's Gate
Boddynock

flipside43 wrote:Luke returns to temple of Tymora leaving a sizable donation upon the altar. The Tymoran moves through the temple searching for something before he sets up beside the wall to start playing a song for for the few gathered:

"This goes out to you player, you know who you are…"
The bard speaks softly over the sound of his lute as he develops the complexity of his song.

"Got to be careful, can’t let the evil of the gold trap ye,
so when you see me brother you better holla at me…"
The bard utters after playing through the melody a few times, still uttering softly before lifting his voice in song....

"Are you confused? Wonderin’ how it feels to walk a mile
in the shoes of a man who’s got nothing else to lose?
I grew through things ye arse will only sing about,
Ye run your mouth but ye don’t think or plan, ye lucks run out."

"Your simple words just don’t move me, your minor, we major,
you all up in this stage but don’t deserve to be a player!
Without your word you are a shell of a man,
I lost respect for brother, somethin’ you’ll never understand."

"I suggest ye take these words home and think them through,
Ye keep speaking on Tee I’ll split your arse in two..."

*he utters leaving the last words hanging as he finishes and moves to a back room to gamble.*
A reply is delivered in short order, also recited in the Temple in the form of a song, it's author trusting to rumor mill to carry it to the ears of it's intended recipient.

Risks and brave acts beat plans, nine times out of ten.
Or don't you read Tymora's teachings? You should try to, now and then.
So when you accuse me of acting, without thought or plan,
That's because I trust Lady Luck to guide the whole of my lifespan.

And they say some times she smiles, and sometimes she laughs out loud.
But she's smiled at me for all my life, and to her I am avowed.
You say my words don't move you, but they have moved you to song.
Yet another lie from your ilk, like the ones you've spouted for so long.

If you think I don't deserve to be a player in this game,
Then why get up on my stage, and put your own self to shame?
Your verse lacks elegance, your ignorance shows in every line.
So take yourself and your lack of skill, away from my ladies' shrine.

And if you step to me again, my friend, I say please come prepared.
If you come with no better than this again, from humiliation you'll not be spared.

((By the way, it seems, at least to some degree, several of us have differing play times, if any of you interested in this bit of RP wants to try to actually meet in game, shoot me a tell and we can try to arrange some similar play times!))
Liam the Golden

kleomenes
Recognized Donor

Once more, Ameris holds a sermon in the chapel in the Temple of Ilmater, preaching at his regular time.

Ameris gives the sermon dressed in flowing robes indicative of the Ilmatari of Calimsham, wearing the traditional skullcap of the Adorned and a holy symbol in the shape of the bloody rack. A rock violet is pinned to his right breast.

The priest would speak before those attending the sermon at the appointed time. His wife, Telia Santraeger, would be present, sitting near the front in a fine looking red and grey dress, the colours of Ilmater. On the first day of the sermon, the foster children Timmy and Amanda from Pathfinders Hall would also be present. As before Amanda would sit quietly, with a serious and thoughtful expression on her face as she listened. Timmy would fidget a bit, move closer to Telia and whisper to her a few times. His hand, magically, would find his way around sorceress' sleeve.

The Ilmatari priest looks out over the gathering of people, and begins to speak in warm tones.

“Brothers, Sisters, friends, welcome.”

He smiles warmly, his tone familiar.

“Again I have been musing upon the nature of this great city I now call home. Again I have been asking myself the question: What is it to be Baldurian?“

He holds forth, his hand gesturing as if to indicate the shops and warehouses he refers to.

“One cannot mistake the truth of what occupies the daily life of so many of the city's citizens. One need only see the bustling streets lined with shops or spend a morning counting the sails in the harbour and the busy warehousemen, to see that Baldur's Gate is a city of honest trade and coin, a place where hard work is commonplace and where many feel most at home in the city's markets.“

He smiles to those gathered, as if congratulating them for these virtues. When he speaks, it is with a respectful tone.

“Commerce is Baldur's Gate's life blood, one might say, and the purchase and sale of goods from near and far provides for the wealth and sustenance of many. Yet what about this is true only of Baldur's Gate? I am from Tethyr, and I have lived in Athkatla in Amn, and both those countries are well known for their trade. What is different, to my eyes, is how the flow of coin here benefits all people, not just a few. It was new to me that here, trade is not dominated by monopolies owned by landed noble families; nor do great merchant houses dominate both commerce and daily life.“

Now he speaks with pride.

“No, here, even the meanest citizen buys and sells in his own right, or is free to. The wharfs are filled with bold sea captains, the streets with diligent craftsmen working for their own benefit. When the wealth of the city increases, the hope is that some of that coin finds its way into the pockets of warehousemen and clothiers and all manner of citizens. That when the community prospers, so do all.“

An admission in his voice now, a defence.

“Yes, there are high nobles, with great wealth, his Grace Duke Entar is an example. Yet he holds his great station by the acclamation of Baldurian citizens, not birth, and the nobles beneath him gain their status due to service to the city, and its people, not through Tymora smiling on their parentage. Those with coin in Baldur's Gate are mindful that they are part of a community, and we see all around that commerce serves the people of Baldur's Gate, it is not their master.“

Again he speaks, his own voice filling with wonder, and affection for the city.

“This can be seen in the open parks and beautiful and wondrous buildings for common use such as the Hall of Wonders or the White Mask Theatre, paid for by those with sufficient coin. It can be seen in the reputation for fair dealing the city has and the way its merchants collaborate for the common good in the Merchant's League, the Sword Coast Commercial Exchange, and in the Foreign Exchange Committee. “

A grateful tone.

“And it can be seen in the ready flow of charitable donations that this very temple receives from nobles, adventurers and from all of you, the faithful, who can afford it. For I do not speak of a utopia, there is poverty, there is sickness, there is hardship. There is need, and such is what the Ilmatari stand to meet. But in this city, the servants of the Broken God merely act as encouragement to the better natures of those who have sufficient means, who give freely, and generously.”

He speaks firmly, with some strength.

“For we all share a community, rich and poor, sick and healthy, weak and strong. And our community is the sum total of all of us; each of us contribute. Let us, then, look to each other, and share our prosperity, share our kindness and our wisdom and our mercy, and so make each and every one of us life free of suffering's chains.”

The priest bows his head as the sermon comes to an end.

“In the name of Ilmater, the wise, the merciful, the enduring.“
///Diplomacy roll

Return to “The 1352 (2016) Campaign”