A wand Crafters guide to using wand's

Gameplay Mechanics Explained and Helpful Advice on Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderator

Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Re: A wand Crafters guide to using wand's

Unread post by Theodore01 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:37 pm

@chad: Have you crafted all these wands recently ?

chad878262

Unread post by chad878262 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:40 pm

I haven't even been in game recently...

All of the 'orange' wands and many of the 'blue' wands I have crafted on the live server at one time or another though. In addition, I validated with Valefort that it is possible that there are some leftover changes that came from changing all wands to lowest possible CL several months ago, which was reverted. Thus my assumption that currently all of the stock NWN2 wands would be at the base Caster Level. That said, it appears this is not accurate so at some point I will have to go through and get Chambo or Valefort to help me get the CL directly from the toolset to ensure accuracy. Sadly I will not have time for that level of effort any time in the near future.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands

Kalgain

Unread post by Kalgain » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:47 am

If I say want to craft a wand of bless weapon, do I need to be a paladin or can i craft it using a scroll even as a different class.

Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:44 am

you only need enough umd to use that scroll.

Kalgain

Unread post by Kalgain » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:07 am

I found something stating the contrary. Weird......
Rasael wrote:Its worth noting that those Wands and Scrolls are only craftable by Paladins, since the latest updates. You can't use items to craft items anymore, unless you're a Warlock.

The casterlevel issue is linked to certain spells that are using the Kaedrin casterlevel definitions. By BGTSCC defaults Paladins and Rangers have full casterlevel - 4. This has been an issue forever. Its just never been flagged up.

Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:18 am

good point, where (when) did you find that ?

Kalgain

Unread post by Kalgain » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:44 am

I found it here. It seems there is a lot of discussion and it is hard to tell what is the state of these things on the server or planned in the future.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=50991&p=649866&hil ... rd#p649866

Arn

Unread post by Arn » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:19 am

I can confirm that crafting a Flame Weapon wand currently creates a CL 3 version. IIRC, I did craft a CL 17 version years ago.

Assuming wand crafting is now intended to produce the vanilla base CLs again (ie: CL 17 for Flame Weapon wands), I guess this would be considered a bug?
Mi-Le (弥勒) - "Meditate, monks. Do not be negligent, lest you regret it later." ((-Saṃyutta Nikāya 35.145))
-Monk of the Old Order and the Way. Will not kill.
-[IC Journal]
-[Bio]

Ghātikā

Crafters: Wands, alchemy, scrolls
Wendi - Wizard, haggling. [Bio]
Meredith Olma - Druid
Jehane - Cleric

chad878262

Unread post by chad878262 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:58 am

ok, updated through Quillfire... 37 more spells to go and I'll have the vanilla wands complete. It'll take more work to do the custom spells/changes so if anyone has details on caster levels for custom spells/changes feel free to PM me or post here and I'll add them. If there are any specific custom spells you'd like to request be given priority let me know and I'll look in to it. Will probably need help from Valefort or Chambo to get me the details from the toolset for any custom wands since I don't know how else to figure out cost/caster level without just doing so in game, and that would be too expensive to do as a test.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

chad878262

Unread post by chad878262 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:36 pm

All vanilla spells have been completed. At some point I will work on getting details for custom spells for BG added to the list, but if anyone has any specific requests feel free to PM me. This can be stickied if people find it useful.

Darkwind

Unread post by Darkwind » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:31 pm

Thanks for all the updates chad! I'm a -prolific- wand user, I sort of had to be because I was a 100% pure wizard up until 24 hours ago. :lol:

So wands were a life & death function for me literally. Many of them were dodgy and didn't work right so I spent untold thousands of gold "QCing" wands. It is good to know they 'work as advertised' now as I'm still a big fan of them even though I'm not quite as reliant as I once was.

Original list is spot on too and reflects my own wand arsenal pretty well. :clap: