Monthly 100% RCR

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Rask
Recognized Donor

Re: Monthly 100% RCR

Unread post by Rask » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:00 pm

Every 6 months or every quarter would be really nice for those of us who dont get to play that often.
Notable Characters:
Rennec Rokranon, Chosen of Helm, returned to the gate under orders from the church.
Isra Wynterborne, Necromancer Hunter, temporarily retired.
Rask, achieved his goal of Lichdom, turned NPC
Avacus Spyre, Aspect of Myrkul, defeated by the Radiant Heart. Whereabouts Unknown.

AlwaysSummer Day
Recognized Donor

Unread post by AlwaysSummer Day » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:18 am

Free rcr periods make me feel like I'm playing with absurd.

Joe the bard paladin rogue wizard cleric ranger bard fighter of chauntea sune lathander mask bane
Roland; svirfneblin fist of the forest and eco terrorist.

Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:28 am

I'm pretty sure that changes such as any established PC goes from Level 30 fighter to level 30 mage or Cleric would get addressed by the DMs...though likely a private affair and privately rectified.

The RCR was meant initially for PC retirement, then suited rerolling because of added content, then became a way to reinvest XP toward new PCs entirely.
Storybuilding

|> Henryk UrdeSword of Justice, the New Church of Tyr
|> Simsae OrcslayerStonesinger of the Telormar Gultor & citizen of the Kingdom of Kraak Helzak
|> Monserrate — Circle of Rust and the Worm

Gorirah

Unread post by Gorirah » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:28 am

I'd agree with both of the above. To thrive, the server needs to cater for "character/story" play, "build/run" play, and all the shades of grey between.

Mistakes happen that we cannot take back without completely releveling. I left the server last year after some such difficulties on Guern. When I came back, I found classes had changed more, but it was just after a free-RCR period had ended. So I paid the xp cost to fix him, didn't get him quite right, paid the xp cost to fix him again, and now think he's right albeit at the cost of 75% xp.

Fixed periods after significant server changes may not be best complimented with more fixed periods. For example, a system that awards x free-RCR credits per year, per player. So the free-RCR NPC may give options for your next use to be free or taxed. I'm not sure what x should be though, I'd personally be comfortable with 4 or less.

Planehopper
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:39 pm

I'm with you, Rask. A new character concept, with my play times, means I better plan for level 10-15, 20 if I am lucky. The RCR 100 periods always reinvigorate my engagement with the server.
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Zahven Thruel - Mysterious Mage
Wizzelbert Cranksproket - Lantanese Gnome

Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:49 pm

think of this you chars have some weakness and than what?

Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:51 pm

we can roll dice 1d100 then we can see each moneth we roll and you have to roll over 85 and if you do so you get 100RCR

Caelin

Unread post by Caelin » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:22 pm

*rubs the paddles together* "Clear!" *ZAP*

This is something about the server that has always been a frustration to me. We allow for different playstyles as long as people fall within the rules. Powerbuilders have their home here, along with hard-core role players. Provided people behave in a way that is consistent with the spirit of the server, and is respectful of the community there's a lot of latitude and rightly so. We all want different things.

RCRing is no different. In the same way that some people love the depth of history that is built up with years and years of playing the same character, others find that same depth stifling and restrictive. At the same time, DnD is built around adventure. Constantly making new characters at level 1 and grinding to get to the point where you can safely travel between the major locations (BG, the FAI, Beregost) isn't particularly fun if you're looking for new experiences. On the same vein, we don't all enjoy role playing weaker characters, or inexperienced ones.

Put some guidelines in place for RCR, and let people have more opportunities to do so. When RCR is happening, activity on the server goes up. Old players come back to try something new. The place is more vibrant. It helps RP on the server, not destroying it.

RCR lets people try a fresh start or fresh experience without having to do the complete grind. If I'm sick of my level 26 cleric, why not give me the opportunity to RCR him and come in with an itinerant wandering sellsword who is in town for a couple of months before moving on to greener pastures? Who is hurt by this?

At the end of the day, giving people more options to play on the server in a way that doesn't harm the overall environment or culture is a good thing. Every time I RCR, I make a new, lore-complaint character or I fix something I messed up with an existing build. Does it matter if my new character comes in at level 18, or level 30? What does the penalty achieve besides making it less likely that I'm going to play? Whether it is a once-a-month token per account, or full-time 100% RCR, opening up avenues to people only helps the server.
James Merlin - Traveling, Treasure Hunting Troubadour of Tymora
Garet Sunder - Monk of the Fallen Star
Duncan Thorne - Sellsword and follower of the Red Knight
Vivian Blake - Wheeler and Dealer (Merchant)
Bran Emberfist - Monk of the Order of the Four Ways

Tanlaus
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Tanlaus » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:57 pm

One thing I would add to that. Seeing how every other character is now a tiefling, I'd love nothing more than to reroll mine just to change his race. Not worth taking the massive XP hit, but if variety is the spice of life that's doubly true for RP.