Monthly 100% RCR

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

lum

Re: Monthly 100% RCR

Unread post by lum »

Dang. I've got just one toon who needs one or two skills redone. I wait so long!
But to go from 460.000-500.000xp back to level 20 for it... I just can't. No.
If it at least would be -50% and not the maximum level 20 restriction, I could live with ending back at level 23 or so.
Moire Rouge : 'Coins are flat, and are meant to be piled up.'
Juniper : 'Your local tinkerer!'
Kitty -Less hell, more cat-
Álfhildr Fältkrigare -Oaken soul-
Erickar Avery -More than meets the eye-
& Brendika F., Jyn R., Bash B., Lux, Rift, Jezebeth, Isabel C., Depheant M., Sona K.

Deragnost

Unread post by Deragnost »

lum wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:01 am
-50% and not the maximum level 20 restriction, I could live with ending back at level 23 or so.
I suppose this would be a good compromise, but it won't happen.

As a general rule, from my point of view, writing complaints or suggestions here won't solve anything. If you want be helpful you pass a good proposition to Admin / DM Team / whatever, because suggestions are always welcome I believe. Otherwise, it's just spam.
Bethany Wynne, Golden Wheel Director for the Sword Coast (momentarily retired!)
Eleazar Houbraken , Lost Soul (Retired, for now!)
Oriana Colds , Candlekeep Guard-in-Training
Myrshalee De Rahel , Selmiyeritar
Morn Greyman , Mercenary and Bounty Hunter

chad878262
Quality Control

Unread post by chad878262 »

would require more moderation of character building if they wanted to keep 3b20 rule. I forget if there was a script to check for illegal characters, but it's kind of tough as you would have to look at feats, skill splits etc. allowing you to RCR to 23 would for example allow character to build with taking all divine champion levels after level 20 for more feats.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands

Deragnost

Unread post by Deragnost »

chad878262 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:02 pm
would require more moderation of character building if they wanted to keep 3b20 rule. I forget if there was a script to check for illegal characters, but it's kind of tough as you would have to look at feats, skill splits etc. allowing you to RCR to 23 would for example allow character to build with taking all divine champion levels after level 20 for more feats.
I can tell you that it doesn't work that way; there's a script that checks actively if you take 3 levels of one class within the first 20 levels.
Bethany Wynne, Golden Wheel Director for the Sword Coast (momentarily retired!)
Eleazar Houbraken , Lost Soul (Retired, for now!)
Oriana Colds , Candlekeep Guard-in-Training
Myrshalee De Rahel , Selmiyeritar
Morn Greyman , Mercenary and Bounty Hunter

Rask
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Rask »

Scorpius wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:48 pm
Factually

If something happens for 4 years then
1 year it doesn't

Itnis correct to say that this is something thatbis "usually" happening

As this last year was the exception

So im correct
I have been on this server for over 10 years ( early 2008.) And I have only ever seen 3 100% RCR periods in that time. You're factually incorrect about it being every 6 months. Last year we did have 2 RCR periods due to big changes on the server that effected characters, but that was the only time that's happened.

Also as to the above comment, indeed there is a script that checks the 3b20 rule
Notable Characters:
Rennec Rokranon, Chosen of Helm, Knight of Dragons, Former Commander of the Radiant Heart Auxiliary.
Isra Wynterborne, Necromancer Hunter, temporarily retired.
Rask, achieved his goal of Lichdom, turned NPC

Ibnshaitan1

Unread post by Ibnshaitan1 »

Any word on when the next one may be coming around?

AsuraKing

Unread post by AsuraKing »

AsuraKing wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:23 am
100% RCR happens when some big change is implemented that severely effects classes/builds. It's better to just expect for a 100% to never happen again than to wait for one.
Just gunna quote my last post since it's still accurate 8-)
Barristan Schulltze
Vigilator of the Black Abbey
Black Abbey of Bane Guild Link
Black Abbey RP Thread

Wizziewick Warrenwarden
Rough and Rude Rockrun Ranger

Roaman

Unread post by Roaman »

I am a fairly new player; and I've already had my fair share of RCRs because the game is just complex.

Why not give an additional permanent option to 100% RCR for gold?
The higher your level the more you pay; similar to the XP option we have right now.

It also seems there is no real demand for gold for seasoned players, hence I cannot buy any good gear from players with gold, but 'trade only'.
Perhaps a paid RCR option could raise demand for gold.

cosmic ray

Unread post by cosmic ray »

Or a paid option in real money.
You are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.

JCVD1

Unread post by JCVD1 »

Roaman wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:58 am
I am a fairly new player; and I've already had my fair share of RCRs because the game is just complex.

Why not give an additional permanent option to 100% RCR for gold?
The higher your level the more you pay; similar to the XP option we have right now.

It also seems there is no real demand for gold for seasoned players, hence I cannot buy any good gear from players with gold, but 'trade only'.
Perhaps a paid RCR option could raise demand for gold.
I used to have my character care about coins epic or not, super rare items or not. It was aRP choice of mine, as I know there are players who hoard items for collection and barely play around. Ironicly, they will offer you 10000000 millions of coins to buy your rare item but when you want one of theirs, you need to trade for that 1 unique item they want. (not need) They sit atop a large hoard of items people would need for their characters but greed is the word here. II've had 20 mils+ in gold over the years and i kept paying new characters' gear, gearing up guildmates and sometimes make huge bits on RP events, just to share the love. Something people of means should be doing more IMO.

Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

You mean Red Wizards are the epitome of altruism?!?

What in the hellz has this world come to?!?

As to the topic: the Server and story building would probably be better off of the RCR was removed. It would likely mean Players would start new Characters more often after reaching 30 (Hi Valefort!!!).

Yes, leveling a PC to 29 to discover you “screwed up” the build would suck eggs, but we learn from our mistakes, and learn even more from the painful ones! :shock:

Thus, reading that suggestion above, and imagining that paradigm, one can—I hope—easily realize how good we have it with the current RCR situation!!!
Storybuilding

|> Jon SmytheChionthar Charter & Seaward Supply Co. — Path of the Mindful Blade & Seafarer
|> Monserrate — Circle of Rust and the Worm

chad878262
Quality Control

Unread post by chad878262 »

And I think you and I agree players would be more willing to go from 1-30 if the experience weren't so tedious. Level 16 now and once I crossed 12 it became very repetitive... there are plenty of dungeons, but they are woefully short.... I've been to every cr12-16 map except ulcaster over a dozen times...
Steve wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:11 pm
You mean Red Wizards are the epitome of altruism?!?

What in the hellz has this world come to?!?

As to the topic: the Server and story building would probably be better off of the RCR was removed. It would likely mean Players would start new Characters more often after reaching 30 (Hi Valefort!!!).

Yes, leveling a PC to 29 to discover you “screwed up” the build would suck eggs, but we learn from our mistakes, and learn even more from the painful ones! :shock:

Thus, reading that suggestion above, and imagining that paradigm, one can—I hope—easily realize how good we have it with the current RCR situation!!!
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands

Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

THE TEDIUM!!!

Sure, it’s a thing, and if you’ve done it enough like some of us, you eventually have that thought while doing it of: “why the F am I doing this again? How many brain cells does this game kill?!?”

Conversely, and to Chad’s point, another way to defeat the tedious suffering of leveling, would be to focus the Server more towards making Every. Level. Count. And to make the low, mid, and epic levels something important and useful to experience, through both Player events, DM events, and even mechanical “hurdles” that offer feelings of achievement in place of said tedious “climb” to 30, when it’s assumed your PC will be able to have the most “affect” on the Server, in terms of RP and more (the problem of a too great distance in a 1-30 level power sandbox).
Storybuilding

|> Jon SmytheChionthar Charter & Seaward Supply Co. — Path of the Mindful Blade & Seafarer
|> Monserrate — Circle of Rust and the Worm

Tanlaus
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Tanlaus »

Steve wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:46 pm
THE TEDIUM!!!

Sure, it’s a thing, and if you’ve done it enough like some of us, you eventually have that thought while doing it of: “why the F am I doing this again? How many brain cells does this game kill?!?”

Conversely, and to Chad’s point, another way to defeat the tedious suffering of leveling, would be to focus the Server more towards making Every. Level. Count. And to make the low, mid, and epic levels something important and useful to experience, through both Player events, DM events, and even mechanical “hurdles” that offer feelings of achievement in place of said tedious “climb” to 30, when it’s assumed your PC will be able to have the most “affect” on the Server, in terms of RP and more (the problem of a too great distance in a 1-30 level power sandbox).
A couple thoughts on this...

I have a decent roster of 30s at this point. Both surface and UD. I tend to RP way more at 30 then at lower levels because there’s no more reason to grind. And the grind is tedious at this point.

One hurdle in making every level count, thus reducing the tedium, is the game mechanics themselves. Often if you’re building for an effective end game character you have to build in a way that some early or mid levels are just garbage. But if you plan on playing a long time then most of that character’s life will be at 30 so that’s what tends to count the most.

Also the game is intricate and it’s not difficult to get into early epics only to find you made some choices that just don’t work well in terms of the server’s end game content.

Not that I’m advocating for something like a monthly RCR for various reasons discussed above, but perhaps often enough that someone can just stick it out, knowing they’ll be able to fix their build at some not too distant future point would be not terrible.