Domain Spells Overhaul...

Suggestions or Mechanical Requests for Classes, Feats, Races, Etc.

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Sun Wukong

Domain Spells Overhaul...

Unread post by Sun Wukong »

https://wiki.bgtscc.net/index.php?title ... s_overhaul <= Missing domains like Storm. Could be more.
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Re: Domain Spells Overhaul...

Unread post by chad878262 »

I told Valefort I would look in to updating based on some detail he provided in QC forums. I simply haven't gotten around to it yet.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
Sun Wukong

List of missing domains: Cavern, Fate, Illusion, Planning, Portal, Spell, Spider, Storm, Suffering, Trade, Tyranny.

Anyhow...

I think if that goes in... from the first glance, I think you will see an increase the number of Clerics of Chauntea, Gwaeron Windstrom, Lurue, Malar, Mielikki, Shiallia, Silvanus, Ubtao, Thard Harr, Aerdrie Faenya, Fenmarel Mestarine, Baervan Wildwanderer, and Segojan Earthcaller. Some of them also have plant domain for Barkskin.

Just imagine all those Divine Power Shapachange EDM cleric builds you can have.
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
chad878262
QC Coordinator

At first glance I don't necessarily see this as a major issue. If you go plant domain you aren't getting STR domain which essentially can be under the effect of Divine Power for a full rest cycle. Barkskin is only +1 AC over what you get from an amulet and honestly Cleric doesn't need the AC anyway with freedom of movement+deathward+extended stonebody and regeneration as needed.

In any case, I think Domain Spells is something currently being worked on both from a lore and balance perspective.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Valefort
Retired Admin

Unread post by Valefort »

Thing is these changes had been pending for a couple of years, before these new domains you're talking about were even added @Sun Wukong :P
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
Sun Wukong

Chad, my cleric only needs 3 regular and 3 extended Divine Powers to last through a rest cycle or a dungeon run. Just need to know when to cast and all that. Strength domain is nice, but, not needed.
- Elminster, probably.
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Same with the Plant Domain you mention (or any of the 'strong' domains, really). They are all nice, but not really needed. A cleric is going to be powerful with the right considerations for play style, spell selection and domains regardless. While I would agree you can 'get by' with 3 extended/3 regular casts of Divine Power that is only giving you ~27 minutes between rests and rebuff sessions. Plenty for the rest timer, but personally the longer I can go between rebuffing, the better.

Point is I don't see such a rush of Plant domain deities being an issue.... If anything, it'll continue to be water domain that 'owns' character concepts in terms of top domain. Obviously those deities with both will have plant as a strong second domain, but it's not that strong (as I previously mentioned.) Heck, I consider woodland stride a better benefit than getting Barkskin, personally.

Sun Wukong

A wisdom based cleric already does well in melee with Divine Power... now add in those stats from Shapechange forms and you got a new breed of melee juggernauts that can do 'everything' under the sun.

I think Nature's Avatar would be a better 9th level spell, let them buff up their animal companion.
- Elminster, probably.
Sun Wukong

Valefort has updated the page: https://wiki.bgtscc.net/index.php?title=Cleric_Domains

With a quick glance:

Destruction Domain has Storm of Vengeance as level 8 spell. Will I be able to have an extended Storm of Vengeance in game? I presume that the targets of the spell fail their reflex saves consistently, and thus it would deal about 630 damage on avarage per creature within the AoE.

Sun Domain has Elemental Shield as a level 5 spell. Combine Freedom of Movement, with Deathward, then cast Stonebody for 10/DR, apply Regeneration for 10 points of regeneration, and proceed to use Elemental Shield. Unless the mobs are immune to fire, or at least highly resistant to fire, the mobs will just kill themselves trying to kill the cleric.
- Elminster, probably.
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Unread post by mrm3ntalist »

Good tactics if one has a lot of time to waste.

Maybe we will see a naked cleric as well.
IS EMOTIONAL KEKW - GIT GUD

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

Spelling mistakes are purposely entered for your entertainment!
Sun Wukong

So when will these pop in? Don't mind myself a priest of Kossuth with Destruction and Fire Domains.

Edit: Nevermind, seems to be in already.
- Elminster, probably.

Return to “Mechanics”