28/96
Last counter update:
2018-04-23 17:12:26

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Freed Bird - Huego Bellecovum's Journal
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:13 am 
Recognized Member

18 Ches 1354
Today I got lucky. I arrived here in Baldur's Gate, and immediately met Miss Iris Sorin as I was practicing some music by the Eastern Farmlands Campfire. She took me back to the Minstrel's Muse, a local tavern, to show me a bit of music. I ended up getting her to agree to be my tutor, at the price of a thousand coins per tenday.

The rest of the day I spent practicing my music, and playing what songs I knew for anyone I could.

Huego Bellecovum
Journal

Last edited by Sapper Woody on Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Freed Bird - Huego Bellecovum's Journal
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:17 am 
Recognized Member

19 Ches 1354

Today, I had the fortune of meeting Miss Rania Arowaven. She showed me the Halls of Inner Light, and hired me on to play for the Halls. Offered me all the food I could eat and the drink I could drink. I agreed, of course. It seemed a nice place to play, and as I need a place to get food, it works out nicely.

Huego Bellecovum
Journal

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:29 am 
Recognized Member

24 Ches 1354

I have spent the last few days, singing my songs for anyone who wouldn't run me off. Met a few interesting people today. The first was a gentleman named "Esteban" who insists that everyone should have heard of him. His exploits seem to be very exaggerated, however, as he couldn't name a single one. In the end, I told him I'd write a song about him, to make his name known throughout the coast.'

The second person I met today was a beautiful woman by the name of Linela Fryar. She easily outdid me in song and dance. I was immediately intrigued. I was most pleased when I asked if she'd like to get a drink with me and she responded that she did. We left the fire and spent some time at the Elfsong tavern in Baldur's Gate. The more she talked, the more intrigued I was by her.

Being myself, I began an effort to woo her. She resisted these attempts, and started listing reasons why I should not chase after her. She bid me to write them down on a piece of paper she handed me. I did not write them down, though I kept the piece of paper.

Eventually we were joined by some others. A joke was made by Miss Linela when she said that Lord Darius could have a seat on my lap. I winked at her, and said, "I thought that would be you." She told me if I wanted her in my lap, I must overcome the list she had given me, seek out her former lover, and make sure he wanted nothing to do with her. She wouldn't tell me who he was, though.

She left in a hurried manner shortly thereafter.

Huego Bellecovum
Journal

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:46 am 
Recognized Member

28 Ches 1354

I have so far been unable to determine who Miss Linela's former lover is. I have asked around, but no one seems to know. Many have said possibly a man named "Aiden". Some have said they thought it was an "Emrys" from Candlekeep. No one knows for sure who she is talking about.

I ended up playing at the fire today for a group of people, and then invited to play at the Minstrel's Muse by Lord Darius. I played a few songs for them, and they hired me to play there.

Eventually, Miss Linela showed up. I was playing a song, and she was watching. I can't tell if she was impressed or not, but after I was done, I asked Lord Darius to play a song so that I could ask Miss Linela to dance. She laughed and made a joke about how I was so sure she would accept. Well... she did. We danced to a couple songs. I think she might have noticed that I didn't quite know how to dance as well as I could sing.

After a while, people pulled out some dice. Miss Linela looked very uncomfortable and said she was leaving, so I told her I'd accompany her. We went to Ulgoth's Beard and sat in the sand looking out on the ocean. Somehow she got me talking about my past. And I just kept going. Telling her all about myself. And... now that I think of it, I didn't really learn much about her tonight.

I asked who her former lover was. And she refused to tell me. I told her that I would like to meet him at some point. She said that if the opportunity availed itself, then she would introduce us.

We parted ways for the evening, then I went back to the Muse and played some dice. It was hilarious. I learned about a new thing, where people say, "We're going to Waterdeep", which means that anything done there is not talked about later. Needless to say, after that rule was invoked, things got a bit crazy.

I had a nice chat with Miss Rania afterwards, where she asked a bit about me. As she had hired me to play at the Halls, I told her the important parts of my life. She ended up leaving suddenly and upset at one point, though. Something about her wedding. I never did get to learn more about joining the Halls. I'll have to talk to her more about it later.

Huego Bellecovum
Journal

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:57 am 
Recognized Member

29 Ches 1354

I met with Miss Linela again today. She scolded me on not taking care of my lute, as I was playing it in the rain, and she began wiping down my lute. She said that the way I took care of my lute was the way I'd take care of my future wife. I told her then that I would take my lute to bed with me, and prop it up on pillows so that it's comfortable.

She then rescued a beetle from crawling into the fire. She said it must have been a Huego Beetle, because it didn't know when it was getting too close to something that would burn it.

Later on... I made a stupid, stupid remark. She warned me off again, and I simply said, "sometimes one needs to see how close they can get to the fire". I think she liked it, though? Hopefully.

Huego Bellecovum
Journal

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:34 am 
Recognized Member

30 Ches 1354

Today... was awful. Or was it wonderful? I can't tell. My mind is awash with... thoughts? Emotions? Am I chasing her? Or did I tell her I was letting her go? I think I said that I wouldn't pull her from.... him.

I met the mystery man today, though I didn't know it at first. Gloomy guy. "End of the world" and all that. Honestly don't see how someone as upbeat and lively as Miss Linela could possibly be with him. But she is. I put it together after meeting him, and hearing how his story lined up exactly with a story she told about him.

Eventually, we walked off with a Kald Blake and a Rorry. Miss Linela handed me a book on how to fold paper into things. She then told a nice story about a Rose, a Dragon, a spider, and a ... goose? Or swan, maybe. As she folded paper to match her story, I thought of the wrinkled piece of paper I had in my satchel that she had folded before, and then given to me.

After she told her story, she looked to me to tell a story. I didn't want to at first. But she insisted. So I told one. About a beautiful woman who loved a beast, and lost him. She then found a prince who, thinking she would surely fall in love with him, agreed to help her find the beast. As the prince helped her search, he became ore infatuated with her. Eventually, they found him. And the prince told the woman, "If you love him, I will not come between you, and will not try to take you from him."

She asked me what the woman said, and I told her that the story was incomplete. I could tell she understood what the story represented. Especially later, when she referenced it. Later, I got her story from her. It is a sad tale, yet the ending is still to be writing. I hope to help her turn it into a happy ending. In the end, I held her and promised I'd be there if she needed anything.

I think I just cemented my place in the friend zone...

Huego Bellecovum
Journal

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:41 am 
Recognized Member

31 Ches 1354

I was invited by Lannia and Derik Ranloss to play at their inn, The Last Anchor, today. We had a nice time, and I played a few songs. Teris then began playing some music, so I ate and enjoyed it. He then started telling stories. I really enjoyed his stories. They were a little drawn out, but there were good stories, with lessons.

Eventually, Miss Linela showed up, too. She played the harp while Teris told a story. Really enhanced the experience. She knew how to play just the right thing at the right time to add to what Teris was saying, rather than take the stage from him.

We ended up soaking in the Sauna. We didn't talk about anything discussed previously.

Huego Bellecovum
Journal

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:44 am 
Recognized Member

01 Tarsakh 1354

Saw Miss Linela at the Friendly Arm Inn today. She was talking to a nice elven woman, by the name of Natariel. Miss Linela sang a song. ... And I accidentally got her drunk. I played a song and she danced, going into the "splitz" at the end. I had to help her to her feet.

She then passed out, so I got a room and carried her to bed, leaving her to figure out how she got there.

Huego Bellecovum
Journal

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:10 am 
Recognized Member

02 Tarsakh 1354

Today... wow. So many things to say.

I started off by going to the White Mask Theatre, where I thought there was going to be an open stage day. Turns out it was practice for improv. I met Miss Linela there, and we were the first to arrive, so we just stood on the stage and had some fun yelling random things and listening to our own echo.

Eventually, others showed up, then this guy came in and talked about a book of songs he was supposed to buy. He said he had to leave, and couldn't wait anymore, but that the hin with the book was last seen in the Fields of the Dead. Miss Linela and I decided to go see if we could find it. Of course... he came with us.

We ended up finding the book, and then we ran into Miss Iris in Baldur's Gate. Miss Iris played songs while Miss Linela gave me some dance lessons. It was a fun time. I even got to "dip" Miss Linela while we were dancing.

I eventually took Miss Linela to Ulgoth's, where we went fishing. I made her wear one of the "lucky" hats the guy there sells. We had so much fun. Eventually, we had a "swordfight" with our fishing poles. We both ended up soaking wet in the water, so we settled back on the beach by the fire and talked.

We eventually went back to the Last Anchor and had some food and drink. That's when things got ... interesting. Percy had joined us, and I could tell that Miss Linela was keeping him around just because she didn't want to be alone with me. Eventually, she just ran out of the inn. So naturally I followed. I caught up to her on the beach, where we talked.

She warned me away from her yet again. Told me she couldn't take my future from me. I told her she made me happy. I said that I thought I could make her happy. She turned to leave... and I opened my mouth. The words just came out. "I love you" I said. She turned to go.

She walked off. She kept going. She was getting farther. Finally, my feet caught up to my thoughts, and I ran after her. "Linela!" I called. Then I realized, I had never called her by just her name. It was always, "Miss Linela". "Do you love me?" I blurted out even more words! I couldn't stop what was in my head from coming out!

... "I'm not going to answer that" she said. And then she left. I guess it's over.

Huego Bellecovum
Journal

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:38 am 
Recognized Member

03 Tarsakh 1354

Up, and down, and up and down. It's getting hard to keep up. I started off the day by taking out the crumpled piece of paper Miss Linela had given me, and writing a song on it. I was at the Elfsong, and she actually showed up. She didn't sit right next to me, though. She kept some distance. Another guy showed up and asked me to play a song. Instead, Miss Linela sang a song.

She then looked at me, and asked if I had anything new. I did. I looked at the paper, then looked to her, and told her she wouldn't like it. She insisted, so I sang the song.

When you danced into my life that night I stopped and stared at you.
Such beauty I had never seen by the light of the moon.
And now that you are gone I see the dream wasn't meant to be.
For I open up my eyes and see you're not right there next to me.

Where have you gone?
Where are you going?
Will you come back?
Will I be alone?
Will I be alone?

My heart breaks each time I see your smile and know that you're not mine.
Then I tell myself and you that you're happy so I'm fine.
But inside this longing for you just will never go away.
And each time I see your eyes I'm glad from you I did not stay.

Where have you gone?
Where are you going?
Will you come back?
Will I be alone?
Will I be alone?

After singing the song, Miss Linela excused herself quickly. I called after her that she still owed me another dance lesson. She called over her shoulder as she was walking away that she was free now. So I followed her to her house, where she taught me more about dancing.

Holding her in my arms... spinning around and around. Dipping her, leading her to circle out and back in. We danced for hours. We were having fun. Then, all of a sudden, she wasn't. I'm... not exactly sure what happened. She was near to tears, and talking about him. How she could never be with me. How she was stealing my future. She made me leave. But I made her promise that we would meet again.

It wasn't too much longer, before we were both at the clothing shop. She helped me pick out clothes that weren't armor, and helped me get the color just right. Then we went to the Muse together. It was just the two of us at first, then Mr Ranloss came in. He took Miss Linela off to the side for a bit.

She came back, and seemed fine. But on the walk back to her house, I could tell something was wrong. I asked her about it, and like women do, she said it was nothing. I pressed, and she invited me inside to talk. So I followed her in.

Turns out, she found out about him walking through Nashkel with an Elder Shadow Elemental out, and he evidently attacked someone, carved out their heart, and marked them for a sacrifice. I knew about the shadow being, and attacking people, but not the carving the heart out or sacrifice. I told her I hadn't said anything because I didn't want it to seem like I was trying to win her by talking bad of him. I moved to her to hold her as she was in tears.

Then... the oddest thing happened. She kissed me. And I kissed her back. Then she told me she was sorry. I responded with, "Yeah, I hated that." She then said that she wouldn't kiss me again until she had broken ties with him. I told her I would find a solution to her issue. She told me to set a time limit. One month.

One month to figure out how to break her pact. And if I failed in a month, then to forget about her. I told her I couldn't promise that. She said if I didn't promise, she would kick me out and never speak to me again. So I told her that if in a month I did not figure it out, I would move on, but I would never forget her.

I spoke with someone tonight who has supposedly helped others break their pacts. Miss Isabella Villame. She gave me some ideas of where to start at least. Looks like I need to get more gold to get some gifts for some Fey...

Huego Bellecovum
Journal

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:17 am 
Recognized Member

04 Tarsakh 1354

A moment, fleeting though it may be....
Is as well as a lifetime, if it's spent with thee...
Minutes pass and the time goes by...
But I don't notice, as long as you're mine.

She asked me how many women I had used that on. I'm not sure if she believed me when I told her I had just put it together in my head at that moment. A month. That's all I have with her, unless I find a way to break her pact. Or perhaps not break it. Perhaps buy it. To the fey, one pretty thing is equal to another, right? Or, perhaps I can play to Verenestra's vanity? Offer her a song. A song every year and a day, singing her praises. I'm young. That could be fifty songs or more singing of her beauty.

Or, perhaps I can convince her that Miss Linela was not worthy of joining her court? That having her there would somehow diminish her court. Point out the flaws of Miss Linela... I find I cannot find any flaws in her beauty. This option will never work. I must continue to look for answers elsewhere. I must save Miss Linela.

Miss Linela... I still call her that. Four times, and four times only, have I called her by name. Tonight, when I called her by name, the response made my heart sing!

"Linela?"
"Yes, Huego?" she replied.
"Do you love me?"
And this time, with no hesitation, "Yes, Huego".

I am her Cheeky Bard, and she is my Miss Linela. She met with him today. He released her. Told her to go be happy with the man she could be happy with. If only getting her released from her pact would be so easy. I must find a way! A month! I have a month to make her happy.

She asked me how long the prince would keep the princess. I told her forever, and then some. She reminded me not to promise anything I could not deliver on. So I ammended my answer to, "A month. And then as long as possible after that." I promised her, that even if I failed, this would be the happiest month of her life.

And so far, it is shaping up to be. If I can keep her as happy as she was today, then this month will be the happiest of both her and my life. From sitting on the couch in the Friendly Arm Inn and holding her, to soaking in the sauna at the Last Anchor, today has been a wonderful day. Not because of what we did. But because of how I was able to make her feel.

She is alive. She is smiling. She is forgetting of her pact. How long this will last, who knows. But as long as it does, I am going to enjoy it; and I will do my best to make sure she is happy for as long as I can.

Huego Bellecovum
Journal

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:10 pm 
Recognized Member

05 Tarsakh 1354

Today was a fun day. I spent most of the early morning in the company of Miss Rania and Miss Dove, fishing on the beach of Ulgoth's Beard. We had conversations about various topics, and it was a nice break from other situations in my life. A chance to chat with friends.

I discussed with Miss Rania the possibility of joining the Halls of Inner Light again. She explained to me the process. If Miss Rania and Miss Dove are fitting examples of the people there, I believe I will try to join. I've never considered myself an over religious person, but Miss Rania said this would not be an issue as long as I didn't break the tenets of the Halls. As far as I know, nothing I am doing would do so, but I'll learn more before I commit to anything. I'd hate to have to put them in a position where they'd have to throw me out if they learned anything.

A weird elf came up later by the name of Sirion. He didn't fish. But we all played a game similar to dice. Only there were no dice. Each person had a turn to ask a question, which all others must answer. It was a fun little game, though I didn't know how to answer some of the questions.

The first one was "If you were not with you current lover, what are the top three people you would be with?" I have not really met that many people on the coast yet, though I've spoken to several. So I answered with the only three females I could think of at the time. Miss Samanthea, though I was quickly told she was a Zhent. A woman who's name I couldn't remember; I could only recall that she sang well and refused me when I asked her to share a drink with me. And then Miss Isabella, who answered questions for me concerning breaking pacts.

My question was, "What is the most romantic spot on the coast you've been to?". Unfortunately, they saw through my attempt to figure out where I should take Miss Linela some evening. They still answered, though. The common place mentioned among all of them was "Greenfields". I'll need to find out how to get there.

I saw Miss Linela a bit today. (Here several lines are scratched out, unreadable.) Suffice to say, she's even more fun now that we're official. A lot more.

This evening, I spent most of my time looking for treasures. Gems, necklaces, anything of value. I'm keeping the pretty things, and selling the rest. I'm hoping to get enough to buy a blue diamond. I'm also hoping that the rarity and beauty of a blue diamond will be enticing to Verenestra, should I get the chance to meet her.

Huego Bellecovum
Journal

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:27 am 
Recognized Member

06 Tarsakh 1354

Began the morning fishing with Miss Rania again. We were there a while, and she asked me how things were going with Miss Linela. I told her that they were going great. We had a pretty decent conversation. She told me about a plan she had for the Halls of Inner Light, where they were putting in two card table. Her idea was that I play there while people play cards or dance. I told her that I would love to do that.

I played some music for the people at the fire in the Eastern Farmlands some more. Seems like it's easy to get an audience there. At the most, I counted nine people listening to me play. My song "My Heart is Broken in Three" seems to be a big hit with people.

I was able to buy a canary diamond from Elspeth. They aren't the most rare diamond, but they are extremely rare. Paid sixty thousand coin for it.

Miss Linela showed up to the fire eventually. She and I had a good chat, and began writing a song together. We only have a base idea of the lyrics. But already it's coming along nicely. The idea is a conversational duet; the man and woman singing back and forth to each other. I came up with the man's part, and she came up with the woman's. The man sings first.

"If you knew what you did to me when you say those pretty words
And how it makes my heart break, the pain and the hurt
Wishing it forever, but knowing it won't last
Hoping for a future, knowing you'll be in my past.

I've got no future to give you, Can only promise you today
I wish I had a lifetime with you holding me that way
So if you could, I wish you would, You've had me from the start.
You've got me begging, pretty please, take it easy on my heart?"

The words are sad, obviously. But sometimes the best songs are.

Miss Linela and I flipped a coin to see if we were going to go fishing, or go meet up with other people. The coin decided we would go fishing. So we headed out to Ulgoth's. I learned an important lesson today. When I smile a crooked smile... things happen.

Huego Bellecovum
Journal

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:30 am 
Recognized Member

08 Tarsakh 1354

The past few days have been a whirlwind of activity. Been training in the gnoll caves on the Lion's Way. They seem to be about what I can handle right now at my current skill. I went with Miss Linela. A few hours later with Miss Rania Mrs Ragnon. And then a few hours later with Miss Linela again.

I'm still in search of more gems for the necklace I intend to have made. Miss Linela saw my drawing of the idea, and even though it was a rough sketch, she asked me about it. I told her it was an idea I was working on for the gems I was collecting. She asked me why I needed them all, and what was going on. I simply told her that I would tell her in time. However... time is running out. I need to get it completed and need to try to talk to Verenestra. Which means ... that soon I'll need to talk to Miss Linela about meeting with Verenestra. I'm dreading that conversation, and fully expecting her to try and refuse me.

I had a good time with Miss Iris and the Ranlosses at the Last Anchor. We talked about music and I played a few songs for them which Miss Iris critiqued and gave me some feedback on. Then Miss Iris played some songs for the Ranlosses to dance to. A Miss Ronja was sitting there alone, so I danced with her for a couple songs.

All in all, these past couple days have been wonderful. Life is good, and I am enjoying it. I would be perfectly happy, if it weren't for the fact that there's an expiration date on it...

Huego Bellecovum
Journal

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:19 am 
Recognized Member

09 Tarsakh 1354

I had... what I am assuming was a dream. I was standing in a grove of trees. I could hear the birds, though I saw none. A woman appeared. I was frozen by her beauty. I... I can't even describe it. She was not tall, about four and half feet maybe. She was barefoot, and had nearly nothing on.

She was smiling at me. But, while drawn to her beauty, I was not drawn to this smile. It was a smile born more out of curiosity, or perhaps amusement. She stood there for a while, statuesque. Finally, she spoke to me, her voice melodic and sweet.

"I can see why she... but it is no matter. Do you think you can really save her, oh angel of music?"

"I can. I -must-!" I replied, too overcome to be able formulate entire thoughts. She circled around me, as if she were appraising a piece of meat at the market. I stood still, frozen. Unable to turn.

"Your songs are sweet," she said to me. "You could have a harem of women. Why must it be her? What has she done that has stolen your heart, 'Cheeky Bard'?"

The way she said "cheeky bard" was not loving, like my dear Linela said it. It was venemous, derisive. She was fully behind me now, and with her out of my sight, I could feel my thoughts becoming more clear.

"I don't want a harem. I want her."

"Oh, but does she feel the same way? Or will you save her, only to have her run back to him? She still loves him, you know. If he had promised her what you've promised her... would she still be yours, angel of music?" It was the second time she'd called me that. But it didn't sound as derisive as when she'd said "cheeky bard".

"It doesn't matter. She loves me. She's with me, not him. And I will save her."

"We shall see," she said to me as the scene began to fade. "But are you willing to pay the price I'd require? She is valuable to me, after all. And what could you hope to give me in exchange...." Her voice faded, and I woke up lying next to Miss Linela.

Looking at her, and thinking back on my dream, I grew angry. Then I became worried.

"What if I fail, Miss Linela?" I said softly, so as to not wake her. "What if I can't pay the price? What if I'm forced to stay true to my promise and move on?"

But I have no choice. I have to save her. Time is running out....

Huego Bellecovum
Journal