BGTSCC Discord BGTSCC IRC

Server Address: game.bgtscc.net
29/96
Last counter update:
2018-07-17 17:22:02

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Single Attack attack mode.
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:21 am 

Hey, so I got thinking few days ago... And I was wondering if we could have another extra combat mode on this server.

Basically, a Single Attack attack mode. When it is active, you only do a single attack per round. There are no perks, there are no additional penalties, you only do a single attack per round.

I think this would have following benefits:

1) You have taken part in one of those 'open to everyone' DM events. If a epic character gets tangled into a lower level event, they could toggle Single Attack mode on and not exactly over power everything.

2) Sometimes a lower level character confronts a highler level one. Thus a higher level character could turn on the Single Attack mode and even the battle. Not to mention that if two melee players actually want to emote and taunt during the fight, then Single Attack mode could help do just that.

3) Sometimes arches and the like wish to conserve ammunition. Actually, I was recently at the Illithid Fortress or whatever it is called, and found my way to the middle of it. My melee character could not reach those Brain Tendrils and what not... So I ended up throwing 7 Acid Bombs and 10 Fire Bombs to take them out... Which was not enough. But luckily I had a stack of darts that I could use to finish off the last one. I went down to the last dart. Thus in this case, a Single Attack mode would have been golden. Not to mention that any ranged character can have a stack of 'epic ammunition' that they do not want to waste on those low BAB attacks. Thus, once again, Single Attack mode sounds like a good idea to me.

Oh and in PnP, you can just make a single attack per round.

- Elminster, probably.

Post subject: Re: Single Attack attack mode.
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:43 am 

I vote for this idea, another cool RP feature (like Normal Speed) that gives us much more possibilities. I imagine using it at FAI when throwing darts. It would be much more reailistic throwing 1 dart at once (instead of spamming hail of darts to the aim).

Known as:
Dasha — Smuggler, troublemaker, grandmaster of losing duels (Happy end?)
Alkor Deezelisk — Notorious spellcaster from Amn, paladin of Lathander (Semi-active)
Gerfrex — Sneaky orc, self-proclaimed master of shadows (Active)

Please don't metagame my journals.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:17 am 
Lead Programmer

Ok, no problem.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:55 pm 

In that case:

That is a potential icon for it.

- Elminster, probably.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:35 pm 
Quality Control

you make multiple attacks per round in pnp if you have them, they are just spaced out by initiative

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:51 pm 

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm <= You can read about attack action and full attack action.

The fifth edition allows far greater mobility. This 'Single Attack' mode is just to enable the standard attack action of 3rd edition rules.

- Elminster, probably.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:57 pm 

I could see this working for DM events but not for PvP. The High level player will still dominate the lower level player. They will both have 1 attack but the level 5 might have a +10 to hit while the level 20 might have a +30 to hit. When this is combined with # of feats and gear, there is no way a low level will defeat a high level. This is one of the flaws in this game, but I dont think it was ever designed with PvP in mind.

The best way to balance things would be a level 20 limit (with xp cap so ECL +2 has level 18 limit) and a rework of the available items. I know this will not happen, but this is how to balance the game since D&D is not even close to balanced at epic levels.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:30 pm 

niapet wrote:
When this is combined with # of feats and gear, there is no way a low level will defeat a high level. This is one of the flaws in this game, but I dont think it was ever designed with PvP in mind.

My under level 20 'Dwarven Battlerager' defeated an epic 'Frenzied Weapon Master'. I turned on ICE, put up that +4 Tower Shield, etc... While the 'Frenzied Weapon Master' just kept his Improved Power Attack on while kept trying to use his knockdown. I had a lot of AC, about the same strenth as the 'Frenzied Weapon Master' and I just kept chipping in more damage with lucky rolls.

Additionally, there are level differences other than level 1 and 30. Different builds can get a ton of power on just one level up. For example one of my current builds gained +6 AB with just two levels, and gained additional +7 damage to his maximum damage output with the third. Similar things happen with spellcasters when they get access to spell level with strong spells.

niapet wrote:
The best way to balance things would be a level 20 limit (with xp cap so ECL +2 has level 18 limit) and a rework of the available items. I know this will not happen, but this is how to balance the game since D&D is not even close to balanced at epic levels.

Rogues would not have Epic Precision, so they would need working 'ruin weapons' or at least access to a multitude of weapons with varied and notable size of elemental damage dice. Not to mention that non-spellcasting melee characters could not compete with melee clerics as those clerical buffs just add a lot of BAB, AB, and extra damage. Wizard builds would not be that different from current statues quo.

Maximum level 20 does not work to balance Dungeons and Dragons for PvP. And in PvE, epic levels are actually needed for non-spellcasting classes to catch up with classes that have spell books.

edit:
Thus, I think 'Single Strike' combat mode is better than nothing. It can be named as anything else, I don't mind. And yes, it would be nice to have in DM events. No need to have insanely bloated boss monster hitpoints, unhittable AC, high damage reduction, etc... if not outright universal damage immunities while the DM holds a stopwatch...

- Elminster, probably.