New player here! A quick question

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Nezian

New player here! A quick question

Unread post by Nezian » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:56 am

Hi! New player here. Really enjoying your server! Already met a few friendly people and role played a few times. I especially love the changes made to the spells and abilities so far! I was wondering if there would be a way to add the changes to classes, spells and abilities onto the original campaign? It would be awesome to play with these changes in the OC!

Sun Wukong

Re: New player here! A quick question

Unread post by Sun Wukong » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:22 am

There is a test module that kind of works... If someone is willing to give similar treatment to the OC, then maybe. It might be rather unlikely... Unless the custom changes here on BGTSCC someday get put into a single override pack.
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.

Nezian

Unread post by Nezian » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:57 pm

Sorry for the late response. Was working and enjoying the game. I see, that's a shame but ah well. Another question, if I may. I decided to go sword and board ranger. I don't care about the viability, just think it'll be a fun journey! Now, I would rather use heavy shields over light, but do heavy shields count as heavy armor? I know rangers lose their two weapon fighting bonus while wearing medium to heavy armor, so I hope I'm not negating the feat with my shield. Thanks in advance!

Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:00 pm

Shields do not count as 'armour', in that using one will not inhibit your inherent ranger abilities.

Shield armour check penalties will still decrease your hide/move silent/tumble skills though.
Mae yr Machshikhah - Pryat of Helm [Bio] [Active]
Schezalle - The Black Claws Baeqeshel [Bio] [Black Claws Emporium] [Hiatus]
Araphella - Whispers of Oblivion [Bio] [Retired]
Aeili Azenci - Baelnorn of Mystra [Deceased]

Sun Wukong

Unread post by Sun Wukong » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:26 pm

Sword and Board Ranger? I would pick ranged combat style, and the following two feats: Northlander Hewing and Brutal Throw.

This means that you can just increase your AB and Damage with a single stat. Northlander Hewing is not that great early game without a source of Haste, but later on it is something that just cleaves through enemy damage reduction. As for Brutal Throw, it just makes sure that you can also use Throwing Axes and Darts to deal damage over distance.

As for starting ability scores, I would go for: 16 STR, 14 DEX, and 14 WIS, and raise strength as high as possible. 14 DEX and WIS means that you can get most out of a Chain Shirt and Mithral Chainmail with Cat's Grace or with the +4 DEX bracers - while the wisdom allows you to buff up yourself rather well.

If you are going to stay a single class ranger, then you might also consider getting the Natural Bond and Epic Animal Companion feats. Once fully buffed up that animal companion of yours will be a beast fighting by your side. Just do not pick Badger, since it just doesn't work that well with the ranger spell book.
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.