Server Address: game.bgtscc.net
11/96
Last counter update:
2018-04-25 10:34:03

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recruiting New Players
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:32 am 
Recognized Member

I just finished reading all of the "Making Guilds Great Again" topic. Yes, I was that bored. It occurred to me that one point was never talked about... we need new players.

No, I'm not talking about new characters from existing veterans. I'm not talking about being friendly with new characters/players who log in. They've at least logged in, and tried the place.

Where are we, as players, recruiting new players? Has anyone on the staff done recruiting attempts on Reddit? What about making a server Facebook page people can "like"? What about posts on various tabletop gaming forums? Maybe a call for players on Gog or Steam forums. Does the new NWN Vault have forums for servers looking for people?

What, if anything, are we doing to encourage new unique logins?

Rashal - Lady's Man, "What do you call a male elf? Pathetic, as it were."

Post subject: Re: Recruiting New Players
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:45 am 
Recognized Member

https://bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=52583&start=15

Did anything ever become of that topic years ago?

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:09 am 
Global Admin

I did not find anyone interested in heading up a social media campaign, no. I've shifted the duties over to the Media Team (in theory), with the idea being that the artists and creators there could also generate fun content like drawings and screenshots; but there's still nobody who wants to be "the guy" (or gal) in charge of a BG:TSCC Twitter or Facebook page or whatever. :P

The main source of recruiting, at this time, remains word of mouth -- current or former players telling their friends or other gaming groups and communities about us.

On making the content friendlier to new players, that's a high priority item for me that I've pushed with our developers (since it's widely complained that it's too hard for people to get into the game, and that there's not enough guidance). For my part, I intend to fix up the forums soon, so that they're a little less confusing/disorganized/outdated in parts.

- Server Rules and Information
- Supporting BG:TSCC

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:12 am 

Is there a point of intensive recruiting? I mean, 96 people at the same time limit...

Currently active:
Dasha — Smuggler, troublemaker, grandmaster of losing duels
Alkor Deezelisk — Notorious spellcaster from Amn (Dead?)

Please don't metagame my journals.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:31 am 
Global Admin

In general, the goal is to keep enough players around so that people can easily find roleplay and develop storylines for themselves and others in game -- and so that we have a healthy volunteer pool to draw on whenever we start needing fresh staff or new talent.

Currently, the server is doing all right in terms of population, and is financially solvent, so there's no urgency to recruit. I'm not personally obsessed with keeping incredibly high player numbers at all times, myself, as it does tend to be easier for the DMs to get things going with a 30-60 player population range. Plus, experience has shown me that having 96/96 all the time can be pretty frustrating for players, too, since it does result in some people being unable to play when they want to play.

But all that being said, the more people engaged in NWN2, the healthier the community's going to be over all. As the expression goes, "a rising tide lifts all ships," and there are a lot of servers out there who would benefit from an increased overall NWN2 player base. And for a lot of players, BG has been the "gateway" to their exploring those other servers over the years.

- Server Rules and Information
- Supporting BG:TSCC

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:34 am 
Recognized Member

The point is so the server is still able to be alive in the distant future. Not growing is basically the same as dying. Personally, I think NWN:EE release really made the place quiet recently.

However, no... we have plenty of room left on various days and times. During the "night" I've seen as few as 6 people online, even if the peak times still hit about 50 on a weekend. That's plenty of room for more player activity.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:30 am 
Custom Content

Swings and Roundabouts. Happens with all games.
It is unnatural for something to last forever. That's why all the goody two shoes go out of their way to bash Lich's.

Adolamin Marblerune - Mage Scholar of Kraak Helzak, Kings Council.
-
Serlhuni - Knight of the Silver Fist, Halls of Inner Light

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:28 pm 

Regarding new players, one of the primary things that causes people I recruit to quit is the monotonity of pve and the associated grind.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:16 pm 

I'm not really a "new" player anymore but I can say just about all the players I was playing with when I started seem to be gone. I met new players after that and most are also gone. I don't know if this is a problem with the server or nwn2 itself.

I played nwn1 years ago, for a long time, so perhaps I had a better idea about what to expect. I think engaging new players would definitely help with player retention.

When I played on my first nwn1 server, I was part of a new player guild that heavily recruited new players; and once we started doing that the player base grew a lot. I think that those players felt some connection to the server and were engaged with RP, and were also taught the ropes by players that understood how things worked on the server.

I was thinking g about doing something similar here now that I have a general Idea what the server structure is, and have a successful enough merchant business to fund, such an effort.

If anyone is maybe interested in working with me on something like this send me a PM.

P.S. As the above player noted the grind is not fun (I've gained all my epic levels by RP, maybe that is not for everyone though?). More quests would help with that. Maybe 5 quests per level category at least? What would be interesting would be random quests, something like they tried to implement in Skyrim but a bit more fleshed out.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:21 pm 
Recognized Member

I've never heavily mingled with the "fireside chat" folks. Most of the people I've known well were people I met while adventuring. I can think of two out of all the scores of people I've played with who stuck around longterm... Lockonnow and Izzul. That's it. Usually the people I befriend are gone within a month or two.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:56 pm 
Recognized Member

I must say I'm surprised that EVERY YEAR for the last, what...8 years, I meet 2-3 new (?), awesome Players on this Server. I always think: where the puck did they come from?!? And what always tickles is that 50% of the time they've actually been around the Server for a 1+. Maybe that says more about the bubble I play in?!?

Anyway...still, there are new players ALL THE TIME. You can spot them every time, walking around BGTSCC like a total newb and (trying to) interact (ing) with all the wrong NPCs! :twisted: 0:)

Thought I think that word-of-mouth can't last forever, it has done a good job for the last decade. How to think into the future? Well, since NWN2 is a dinosaur of a game, unless new technical developments are invented to bring the Engine to the NOW, the only thing that I can imagine can bring new players is the promotion of this being a Role-Play server, dedicated to upholding the Lore of the Forgotten Realms.

I say this because the Forgottem Realms is a well aged and deep Campaign World, and there are plenty of DnD RP'ers that could take some time off from PnP to come join a CRPG.

Thus...there are plenty of FR forums and online chats were BGTSCC could be promoted.

|> Hurgon WyrmstoneKraak Helzak Ambassador, Kings Council & Mystic Warrior of the Deep Mountain
|> Preceptor Phasorin ZauPurification through Fire

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:58 pm 
Quality Control

I've tried to get my RL friends who I occasionally PnP with to start up, but no luck...

Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:19 pm 
Recognized Member

I'm pretty much with Steve on this. I think our outreach should be 3.5 edition folks who like the Faerun lore. I'm certain that there must be some who don't know nwn2 is a option. Granted, we'll get some PnP lawyers out of such a drive, but it would be great none the less.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:49 am 

You'd need:
  • Nwn2: Enhanced edition.
  • A youtube channel.
  • Maybe a social media page.
  • Also to steal every good idea from Arelith and re-implement it here.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:49 am 

If I put my two cents in:

I've been playing about 4 months, but I've kinda hit a wall. I had a great time at first when I had no idea what was happening though!

It became apparent pretty quick that the heart of the game involves partying up and going on adventures. However the main problem for me is the small number of players available. When I play (in the unhelpful time zone of GMT +13), there are usually only around 8-14 players online. Of these, at least half are lvl 20+ characters who aren't interested in slumming around with low-level noobs (something to do with xp hits as well? which I don't really know much about), and most of the rest seem to be power-build solo grinders not interesting in stopping running.

So the only real RP is sitting around the campfires, in which the conversation is usually dominated by regular players who have created their own on-going dramas. I created a second character who was more geared around dialogue RP than adventuring, and that was fun, but to get the combo of RP and party adventuring is super hard, and maybe only happened 3 or 4 times for me.

There's probably at least half the server I haven't seen, but unless you have a melee based character, it's impossible to go there without a party.

So yeah, basically it just got too tedious trying to keep grinding the same caves solo, in order to get powerful enough to explore other areas. And just not enough PARTY TIMES.

The other result of my unfashionable time zone is that I don't think I've ever seen one of these mythical "DM events". (Except maybe a squeaking bench one time??) They sound great though!

A bit of a ramble, and no real solutions offered sorry about that. But I did have some cool times!
The solution: more parties! :)