Server Address: game.bgtscc.net
31/96
Last counter update:
2018-05-25 16:25:18

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Resignation and Retirement from the DM Team
Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:31 pm 

Dear BGTSCC Community,

I am resigning and retiring from the DM Team and HDMship as of this week. Thank you all as players for all that you have contributed to BGTSCC and for being what DMing is all about. There is no way that serving in this role since 2014 would have been as joyful as it has been without you all to work for as the most wonderful gaming and RPing community in the world. It has been an honor to work with you all and one of the greatest opportunities and privileges of my life. I thankfully leave this role with no ill will against anyone that I had tension with over the years (as tension with some players (and other DMs) as an HDM and DM is inevitable) and I truly wish everyone in this small and uniquely amazing community of ours the best OOC and IRL.

In leaving the DM Team, I have utmost confidence in our excellent senior DM Team leadership team going forward, including HDM Ditto, HDM Boo, Global Admin Maecius, Global Admin Endelyon, and CCs DM Rosette and DM Soulcatcher, and I entirely trust the senior DM Team leadership team's judgment, skill, and competence on what is ahead for the server and DMing. I also have immense confidence in the ability, passion, commitment, and skill of the DM Team at large, members new and veteran, to serve the dynamic RP needs of our community going forward. Further, I have no doubt that all of us, as players in this community, will continue to drive outstanding RP and adventure cooperative storytelling forward in the coming weeks, months, and years.

I am concerned that IRL will be too busy going forward (for the foreseeable future) for me to do any staff leadership position in our community justice in addition to being a player of the game. Outside of work, marriage, friends, family, and some other things IRL, this community was my chief passion and hobby in life really until the beginning of last year (2017) since the year of 2013. This is no longer presently viable, however, as while my work and family get similar devoted time and energy still, newfound flexibility of my IRL work has inspired and enabled me to engage in too many other passions and hobbies IRL in terms of a time and energy investment to remain a competent staff leader of the BGTSCC community.

I have BGTSCC to thank for this growth as a person IRL. As the passion that BGTSCC inspired in me in its wonderful fantasy world and RPing community has transferred to passionate new directions in my pursuits IRL (sometimes IRL does follow our fantasy dreams and creative explorations!) -- this may sound crazy, but RPing on mountains in game is what in part inspired me to get heavily into wilderness explorations IRL the past few years as just one example. In other ways, new fulfilling business, charitable, and political activities IRL followed RP inspiration from BGTSCC as well. Outside of work, family, friends, and my marriage IRL, I had really hit a passion slump IRL in many respects when I happened upon this community in 2013, and this game and our incredible community here really turned this around for me overall, which I can never be grateful enough for to you all.

It has been one of the greatest experiences of my life to be a part of leading this community the past few years as a HDM/CC/DM/ADM, working alongside some of the most passionately creative, wonderful, and committed people that I have ever known digitally or IRL -- and I with total confidence say this still about the current DM Team and BGTSCC staff at large.

Being an HDM peer of Boo and Ditto has been an honor. These two have really dived into the problems no one else wanted to touch at multiple junctures in DMing and have done their best to resolve such problems gracefully and with an eye for what is best for the server and not their egos. I cannot thank them enough for what they have done for this community. Further, Maecius and Endelyon have been Helmites on watch for the server. Ever vigilant, they have protected the vision of the server and its processes and function through many hardships. We are truly lucky beyond measure to have had them as global leaders of this place. Currently, DM Rosette and DM Soulcatcher are extremely exciting to have as additions to our senior leadership as CCs this year. I am really looking forward to seeing what they do this year with the metaplot and for what is ahead with them as leaders of the server. The same positive feeling goes for the DM Team as a whole (past and present included), since even though I may have not mentioned many of you specifically upon finishing this post, I appreciate so many things about what each of you has done as a DM, whether we had differences in vision or not. Thank you for all you have done and continue to do for the server.

Some reflections related specifically to time in the DM Client and running events and plots at various junctures over the years, most of which I did before my time as a HDM, as HDMing eventually came to be intensive administratively... It was incredible to be an HDM peer with Theophanies in the past and a CCing peer with Theophanies before that during the 1351 DR metaplot and to work under HDM Cradh, HDM Narshe, and HDM Golem before that. The 1351 DR metaplot in particular, including the Beregost coup, Virutous Soil, Amnian trade, and undead invasion of the north campaigns/plots, where we ran many events and plots as a team in the north and south of the world map, working closely with DM Bloodlust, DM Theophanies, HDM Golem, DM Gogo, Maecius, DM Pun Pun, DM Ioulaum, DM Pancake, DM Eminence, DM Nephilim, DM Arkanis, DM Ghost, and others and the same in 1350 DR with now HDM (then CC) Boo and DM Arkanis really leaves me with epic DMing and RPing memories that I can never forget until the day I die IRL. The same can be said for RP worked on with DM Soulcatcher, DM Arrakeen, DM Spartacus, DM Key, DM Hera, DM Creo, DM Bembel, and DM Dagon later in time.

In general, I can say that the greatest DMing successes were almost always a team effort, where DMs and players alike and collectively could take credit for creating amazing RP together and/or where the DM Team as a whole put aside egos and differences to compromise on key points that were aiming ideally for a better BGTSCC.

To the rest of the staff at large, I want to say a huge thank you to the QC, Dev/Builder, Forum Moderation, and Media teams and to Zanniej, Aspect of Sorrow, Duster47, tfunke, Rasael, mrm3ntalist, Valefort, LISA100595, chad878262, 7threalm, and Stonebar in particular for all that they have done for the server since I joined the DM Team and for their work ethic in their duties for the server and their technical and creative brilliance in empowering the DM Team and players with new game and forum features, mechanics, templates, content, and maps (and many other goodies) to use as canvas for our dynamic RP visions.

The stories that we have collaborated on here together as a DM Team, staff at large, and playerbase have been the greatest artistic moments of my life and inspired me IRL in many ways that would be difficult to communicate in brief though be assured that they have; the people met and befriended here among some of my most amazing relationships in life; and the lore and roleplay facilitation here a rare and unique chance to be a part of a truly dynamic, inspiring, and beautiful alternative world to the grind of IRL. This place is and will always be a chance to live a different life and all the benefits thereof to escape from time to time from IRL. In a way it is a glimpse at immortality. A means to live and experience many different lives in the course of one IRL through the experiences and lives of our characters in the BGTSCC world. A fantasy mode to investigate the truth of many opinions and metaphysical solutions — a dialectic if you will. For the glory of RP.

As an HDM/CC/DM/ADM, I have tried (and with some of these items, it took time to come to realize such a goal, and with others, the goal came short or was never achieved or failed) to impart deep respect for:

-server and canon lore and also immense appreciation for dynamism of player character action and free will and changing the server base lore with appropriate IC effort
-fun opportunities for epic and small-scale immersion in the Forgotten Realms and serve lore worlds of BGTSCC
-team wide collaboration on major DM Team decisions, but also decisive decision making after team input is given or HDM fiat if a decision was needed quickly
-ethical DM Team leadership and recusing from decisions that would be inappropriate for a DM to make
-respect for different play styles and roleplay preferences and a balance between stern enforcement of server lore and norms and what is best for the enjoyment of the community at large
-writing down, acknowledgement, and recording of major server base lore changes driven by player characters and with a fair criterion more widely distributing player character titles and epic awards in recognition of player RP initiative and investment
-adding immersive lore features to our world such as in character laws for different polities that did not yet exist
-siloing the DM Team into focus on DMing instead of other community staffing roles and respecting such boundaries
-being welcoming to DM team members of various DMing philosophies and player backgrounds as long as they did not conflict with the overall vision of the server or ethical norms and recognizing that passionate and legitimate civil differences on the DM Team aggregate and average out to better decision making for the server as a whole
-acknowledgement and respect that all DMs have value of input to DMing process and a role to play in leading the server and that we can do our work passionately while remaining civil and respectful (without losing stern demeanor when appropriate) to others on staff and players
-creating processes and procedures and professionalizing the DM Team when appropriate for better execution of the server vision, balanced with spontaneity and ease of burden of implementation
-service to the community and our players and a vision for a dynamic RP world of BGTSCC over all egoistic and personal concerns otherwise
-opportunity for fair criticism and feedback and accepting of responsibility for successes and failures of the server among staff and players that goes both ways and goes beyond egos and personalities and avoiding the internet pitfall of unconstructive argument for the sake of argument

I want to thank all of you (players and DMs and the staff at large) for all that you did to forward these aims as a community and for our successes as such. I apologize for my failures as a DM in these aims and others.

I wish you all the best and I am confident that as a community that we will keep this place a dynamic RP wonder that has no equal in the world for many years to come.

For the Glory of BGTSCC,

DM Dialectic

Server Rules

Post subject: Re: Resignation and Retirement from the DM Team
Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:59 pm 

Wow, you really poured out your soul in here. Thanks for all your work, time and devotion to this place and best of luck and lots of health to you mate. Cheers.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:01 pm 
Recognized Member

Well I knew this was coming and its for all the best reasons but still, a tear comes to my eye :cry:

Thanks for all the fun memories Dialectic and thankyou for all you have done for the server while on staff. I hope to see you around IG when time permits.

For the Glory of Amn!

Cynric, Chief of the Greyfox - Seeking the Salt Shaman
Ameris Santraeger, Cleric of Ilmater, Harper, & Peacock - New Father!

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:08 pm 
Quality Control

That's one epic retirement post :P . Thanks for everything you have done!

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:34 pm 
Recognized Member

Well, at least hop on once in awhile and help us kill goblins. They say there is even treasure in them goblin ruins!

Shunasassi Immeril Pretty Elf in a Pretty Dress

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:49 pm 

Thank you for everything, DM Dialectic. You did a very great job as DM/CC/HDM as far as I can estimate it. I wish all the best for you, your family and your future plans. You rock! :D

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:57 pm 
Global Admin

As I've said to you already, you've had a huge impact on the server. It's been a true joy working with you, talking with you, and seeing you develop as a DM, as a person, and, of course, as a friend.

Thank you, Dialectic, for everything you've done to help make this place a better place for everyone. I expect that your efforts here will help to enable others, like you before them, to find escape and inspiration alike on this server.

This community is special, just like you said. And it's special because of people like you, like all of us, who give of themselves to make it special.

:) So thank you for your service, friend. You've more than earned some time player side again, free of the responsibilities and restrictions that come with staff positions!

- Server Rules and Information
- Supporting BG:TSCC

Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:54 am 
Lead Programmer

Thanks for the long, very long, dedication and work, enjoy the lessening of responsibilities :)

Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:15 am 
Quality Control

Thanks DM Dialectic... You've been a constant presence since about the same time I joined the server back in 2014. That takes a tremendous amount of dedication and volunteerism of time on your part. Enjoy your time being a player when you can and enjoy the family and all the other things life has to offer the rest of the time!

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs
Valefort wrote:
I suggest steadfast determination.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:33 pm 

Enjoy the freedom! :D

Hope to see you around playerside still!

Imyvor Vesche. 'The Negotiator', Lieutenant 'Magic Hands' of Bregan D'aerthe.
Diplomatic Representative of the School of Conjuration.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:14 am 
QC Coordinator

Thnk you for all you did as a dm and an hdm all this time. It is not an easy task and is very time consuming.

Good luck to the things you do IRL and I hope we continue to see you playerside

Spelling mistakes are purposely entered for your entertainment!

Unread postPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:22 am 

Thank you Dialectic for everything you do and everything you've done. Take care and best wishes in your future endeavors. :)

Media Team Head Coordinator
Color Name: Big Bird Yellow

Characters:
Nezkreal Sezifear
Silver