BGTSCC Discord BGTSCC IRC

Server Address: game.bgtscc.net
19/96
Last counter update:
2018-06-21 18:07:37

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Is it just me, or...
Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:32 am 

Has the RP quality gone down in the recent years? I'm an old player, the last time I played seriously was the end of 2015-start of the DDOS attacks. I was pleasantly surprised to see the server alive and well, even with the speed bumps along the way.

Unfortunately, all I see online are scrambling packs of murder hobos. The server used to have top notch, consistent RP. I can count on one hand the amount of people I've seen walking somewhere instead of madly dashing from point to point since I got back, and there is never any conversation to be had, even passing greetings get ignored. Where are all the RPers at? :think:

Post subject: Re: Is it just me, or...
Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:45 am 

Forgotten-Six wrote:
Where are all the RPers at?

Eastern Farmlands Campfire seems to be a popular enough gathering spot if you seek campfire role-play.

- Elminster, probably.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:19 am 

Forgotten-Six wrote:
Unfortunately, all I see online are scrambling packs of murder hobos.

Where are you finding these people?! Can you send them to the Ebon Blade please?

Honestly, I have the opposite problem.. too much stale campfire RP, not enough adventure RP. FAI campfire use to be the best location, but recently it's the Farmlands Campfire.

Liliana Duskblade - The B*tch of Bane

Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:40 am 

Ebon Blades is campfire RP, though...

I mean, I haven't seen anything but campfire RP from the few members I've run into.

- Elminster, probably.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:18 pm 

Sun Wukong wrote:
Ebon Blades is campfire RP, though...

I mean, I haven't seen anything but campfire RP from the few members I've run into.

Come meet Druegar :D

Liliana Duskblade - The B*tch of Bane

Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:27 pm 

It like everything else fluctuates constantly. Now that summer is here and people have more free time to play it should improve.

Agathion Benedictus: Holy Priest. Retired for now.
Tiax Rules-All: Gnomish madman. Retired permanently.
Exordius Vrass: Cleric/Mage. Currently active.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:09 am 

Forgotten-Six wrote:
Where are all the RPers at? :think:

They're around... here and there, usually RP'ing away from the general populace. If you're hoping for something resembling circa 2015 RP... ehh, not gonna happen. :lol: But if you dig deep, and perhaps look towards some of the guilds, you're more likely to find some interesting characters to meet. The vast majority of "RP" you'll find out and about will likely be very grind-centric in nature(aka... your aptly stated "packs of murder hobos", lol).

Otherwise, and as stated by others already, it's summer time. Which tends to be the activity/RP slow season. Umm... yup, that's about all I've got.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:10 am 

Forgotten-Six we just have a nice weather for 2 week now and people maybe play something else or study or live life out

Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:39 am 

I Get you man. I can't count how many times I've logged in, walked up and down the tradeway with nothing going on. There is no stories to engage in, no events, no outright bad guys (thank god for the handful that go murdering people, else I'd not even have anything to talk about!). I sigh and log off a lot of times. I feel that the handful of events that are happening aren't open enough or advertised enough. I've been trying to find an active plotline I could join with little sucess so far.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:20 am 
Forum Moderator

Yes and no. It's not hard to waltz on in to the current 'major' RP hubs, which seem to be one (or several) of: Darius Holding Company, Halls of Inner Light, Eastern Farmlands, FAI. At least, that's where people are hiding away at the hours I log on.

And Azrael is right. There are few 'outright bad guys'. That's kinda the whole point. If ya'll knew what we were up to, you'd try to stop us. :twisted: We're smarter than that these days ;)

Mae yr Machshikhah - ???? [Bio?] [Hiatus]
Schezalle - The Black Claws Baeqeshel [Bio] [Semi-Active]
Aeili Azenci - The Great Priestess [Deceased]

Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:38 am 
Recognized Member

You can chalk a lot of it up to either cliques or fatigue, if you’d ask me.

There are few stable factions that have noth8ng to win against an opposition, be it PC or NPC. The “living world” isn’t really living much, and after 5–10 years of seeing Maltz with his same bald head in his same work clothes asking for the same package every week...a normal human being starts to break orbit and look away from BGTSCC for anything more gripping in terms of landscape (and interactivity).

The “end game” formula is also broke. One can reach Level 30 without any major hoops to jump or even RP to get there...and then what? You attain a near “immortal” character that has nothing really to do: evil never stays dead, and good keeps the light perpetually on, chaos spawns with regularity and lawfulness is just a rarely updated, weathered sign post guarded by a faceless soldier on a cold, southern end of a bridge drenched in far too much rain for gnomes to NOT have invented umbrellas (yet).

OOC grudges are unfortunately more powerful than a +5 vorpal Sword. Real change is near impossible to manifest, and the basic fact is there just aren’t enough Staff to adequately and happily take up player requests.

The Server could benefit from more Players creating Characters FOR a storyline or a Campaign, then what is the norm: creating a Character for themselves and bending storylines to fit themselves.

And then, of course, there is the additional fact that Players grow up, get a better job, family, a real life, and the game becomes more a nostalgic and/or relaxing pastime in which they have only a few hours a week—not much for the daily invested of life=gaming, so many Characters are easily forgotten or dismissed or simply exist ONLY to raid a cave for loot before hubby puts that roast on the table, you’ve slammed a few wines and now after reading your kids to bed, you’re a blob of tiredness who can’t seem to choose which of the 17 characters in the Vault to log on with, so you instead click End Game.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:58 am 

Steve wrote:

There are few stable factions that have noth8ng to win against an opposition, be it PC or NPC. The “living world” isn’t really living much, and after 5–10 years of seeing Maltz with his same bald head in his same work clothes asking for the same package every week...a normal human being starts to break orbit and look away from BGTSCC for anything more gripping in terms of landscape (and interactivity).

The “end game” formula is also broke. One can reach Level 30 without any major hoops to jump or even RP to get there...and then what? You attain a near “immortal” character that has nothing really to do: evil never stays dead, and good keeps the light perpetually on, chaos spawns with regularity and lawfulness is just a rarely updated, weathered sign post guarded by a faceless soldier on a cold, southern end of a bridge drenched in far too much rain for gnomes to NOT have invented umbrellas (yet).

OOC grudges are unfortunately more powerful than a +5 vorpal Sword. Real change is near impossible to manifest, and the basic fact is there just aren’t enough Staff to adequately and happily take up player requests.

The Server could benefit from more Players creating Characters FOR a storyline or a Campaign, then what is the norm: creating a Character for themselves and bending storylines to fit themselves.

And then, of course, there is the additional fact that Players grow up, get a better job, family, a real life, and the game becomes more a nostalgic and/or relaxing pastime in which they have only a few hours a week—not much for the daily invested of life=gaming, so many Characters are easily forgotten or dismissed or simply exist ONLY to raid a cave for loot before hubby puts that roast on the table, you’ve slammed a few wines and now after reading your kids to bed, you’re a blob of tiredness who can’t seem to choose which of the 17 characters in the Vault to log on with, so you instead click End Game.

The daily grind. Thank you for the daily dose of depression. I'll go stand next to the water cooler and contemplate my life.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:53 am 

Steve wrote:

Cheer up buddy ::gives Steve a bro hug::

You could've just told him to roll a dwarf!

Roll a dwarf dude, just roll a dwarf.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:01 am 
Forum Moderator

In my particular case it is sheer unavailability. Not only the fact I live in a far-off timezone (meaning no DM interaction, no events, max ~25 players online, most of whom hide in guild halls I'm ICly banned from :P), but prioritisation of my work life over my gaming life means I'm pretty much a spectator these days.

So apologies to all the players (like Nathan, Glowfire, Mercator, Wren) who are still hunting for outstanding RP with me or whatever. You'll never see me on in your timezone unless its a Fri or Sat, and even those I can't guarantee any more.

Mae yr Machshikhah - ???? [Bio?] [Hiatus]
Schezalle - The Black Claws Baeqeshel [Bio] [Semi-Active]
Aeili Azenci - The Great Priestess [Deceased]

Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:11 am 

Feels so true, especially about 30 lvl ceiling(

Steve wrote:

I will also add, that the server extremely lacks evil character support. It is much harder to RP an evil toon itself for many reasons, and yet evil RP has no DM support now, sometimes even DM punishment instead. I have probably written about it before, but the most exciting thing at this server is IC conflicts, and lets be honest, without evil toons this server will soon turn into Sims-style benchwarming simulator with 1/2 statuses saying "Squire of the Silver Rose" and occasional Xvart grind runs.

Known as:
Dasha — Smuggler, troublemaker, grandmaster of losing duels (Happy end?)
Alkor Deezelisk — Paladin of Lathander (Semi-active)
Gerfrex — Sneaky orc, self-proclaimed master of shadows (Active)

Please don't metagame my journals.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next