BGTSCC Discord BGTSCC IRC

Server Address: game.bgtscc.net
20/96
Last counter update:
2018-06-18 13:58:48

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crafting--odd question
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:37 pm 

Hey, I know there isn't any real crafting system here and this isn't about that. I was talking to a friend of mine who played on a Middle Earth server a while back. He said it had a really complex and in-depth crafting system. He couldn't remember the name of the server though. My question is:

What is the best crafting system you have seen/used?

The one we were talking about needed a mess of special skills and such to even just farm regents, it even had gardening to literally farm ingredients for potions.

Post subject: Re: Crafting--odd question
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:41 pm 
Sysop

EVE Online.

AoS Player Tools
Logon Issue/Resources

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:05 pm 

Star Wars Galaxies, Pre-combat "Upgrade"

No two craftsmen produce the same item. Now, if a crafstman sells his schematics and someone puts it into a factory, he'll make the same item but a schematic has a limited number of runs.

How it works:

There are countless randomly generated resources on creatures (hide, bone, meat) or strewn around the map.

When crafting, you are making a prototype using these resources on the small scale, and may try and experiment after the prototype is designed to improve things.

After being satisfied with the results, you either create a working prototype or create factory schematics.

You then go and stuff the factory with the resources and energy and maintenance fees and let it craft.

If you did things right, you'll have produced a unique crateload of guns/foods/drinks/clothes/etc. If you did things especially right, you'll have the best products on the market.

Now, (with limited char slots), you go and find a merchant and convince him your stuff is worth buying. He invests and buys it wholesale, then tries to turn a profit with advertisement. If you elected to get some mercantile skills, or use the forums instead or whatever, you can also do the sales yourself.

Everything made deteriorates, so there's always demand. Resources get dried out, so certain weapons may become exotic and rare until a similarly high quality resource spawns.

SWG's crafting system trumps EVE online.

The class system was also awesome. Everyone had 250 points and there were a number of skill trees, each with 1 "buy in" node, 1 "mastery" node and 4 branches, each with 4 nodes. You could mix and match things to make the perfect mechanical character, or if you were into the RP aspect by then, to make the ideal mechanical representation.

I really wish BG used SWG's class system over D&D ridiculously twodimensional one.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:32 pm 
Sysop

Having tried the SWG PreCU crafting mechanics in NWN1, it wasn't... the greatest of translations.

AoS Player Tools
Logon Issue/Resources

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:25 am 
Forum Moderator

Caetus wrote:
Hey, I know there isn't any real crafting system here and this isn't about that. I was talking to a friend of mine who played on a Middle Earth server a while back. He said it had a really complex and in-depth crafting system. He couldn't remember the name of the server though.

It was likely one of either "The Rise of Sauron" or "Unfinished Tales", two of Middle Earth servers run by the same core folks. Low magic, High RP, Deep Immersion. At one point they were about 30 regular players, but that was years ago. The crafting there was definitely top-notch.

It was a customized version of the CNR crafting system and I was/am a big fan. All ingredients harvested from environment via nodes and creatures. Each skill (from mining, to woodworking, to metalworking, to tinkering, cooking, healing, etc) leveled up separate from your character level based off of successful crafting (so the more you did the better you got sort of thing).

It was difficult to be good at multiple skill trees, and impossible to be good at them all. The RP around crafting, resource gathering, and learning was great.

That said, I think AoS is right. Eve Online has the best crafting/gathering/marketing system of any game I've played. Loved that one, too.

Zahven Thruel - Mysterious Mage
Wizzelbert Cranksproket - Lantanese Gnome

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:30 am 
Custom Content

Few 'survival' games on Steam over the last few years with some fairly nifty crafting mechanics.

Adolamin Marblerune - Mage Scholar of Kraak Helzak.
-
Claret - Tethyrian Vintner.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:22 am 

Aspect of Sorrow wrote:
Having tried the SWG PreCU crafting mechanics in NWN1, it wasn't... the greatest of translations.

I'd say it's probably hard to translate.

For it to work, you need massive maps with lots of empty regions for a variety of resources to spawn, for towns to spring and die, for factories to be made.

You also need a lot of active players to keep the economy active, preferably a mix of casuals and hard-core "this is the meta, everything else sucks" people for a diverse market.

And you need the class system and crafting mechanics themselves.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:58 pm 

Aspect of Sorrow wrote:
EVE Online.

Can I haz ur lootz? Ur to busy here.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:12 pm 

VDub wrote:
Aspect of Sorrow wrote:
EVE Online.

I've got like over 4 billion isk.. and like 3-5 t1 and t2 battleships fully decked out.. ever since the skill system overhaul, I'm done. No idea why I liked turning on autopilot and autofire in space.. because that's all you did, automate everything. I hope Star Citizen puts them out of business, it's what EVE should have been.

WoW, Diablo, EVE, Pillars of Eternity, Guild Wars, to name a few.. with the engine we have, I'd say it would work best the way the system is now via the books. I think i drafted a proposal for the system a while back.. not sure what happened to it.

Liliana Duskblade - The B*tch of Bane

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:58 pm 
Sysop

Capitals pilot, own a few mships.

AoS Player Tools
Logon Issue/Resources

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:01 pm 

Akroma666 wrote:
VDub wrote:
Aspect of Sorrow wrote:
EVE Online.

I've got like over 4 billion isk.. and like 3-5 t1 and t2 battleships fully decked out.. ever since the skill system overhaul, I'm done. No idea why I liked turning on autopilot and autofire in space.. because that's all you did, automate everything. I hope Star Citizen puts them out of business, it's what EVE should have been.

WoW, Diablo, EVE, Pillars of Eternity, Guild Wars, to name a few.. with the engine we have, I'd say it would work best the way the system is now via the books. I think i drafted a proposal for the system a while back.. not sure what happened to it.

Join the Bees and get some kills.