BGTSCC Discord BGTSCC IRC

Server Address: game.bgtscc.net
49/96
Last counter update:
2018-08-14 23:21:15

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UD/Surface Crossing Rules
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:11 pm 

Due to work reasons, I haven't been able to play for quite sometime now so I'm not sure what is the current ruling on the rule:

"UD/Surface must have RP reason to go beyond..."

Assuming the game mechanics that "controls exp and loot gains" are still place, I'm guessing it is now fine for players to go beyond the "restricted line" without RP? ie. Surface toons visits UD and UD visits surface without RP reason.

I'm asking this because it seems that surfacers LOVES to visit our lovely Walmart merchants. Or is it acceptable to going beyond the restricted line as long as you want to visit a merchant count as RP?

Reiju - Ebon Blades Mercenary (PM Me if you need me to login)

Post subject: Re: UD/Surface Crossing Rules
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:18 pm 
DM

The rules have not changed. All characters must have an RP reason to visit the other side and must depart once that purpose is concluded. If you suspect someone is violating the Surface/UD travel rules, please take screenshots and report them to the DM Team for us to investigate.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:25 pm 

That thing has been there for years, even when UD charactes could not actually exit through it.

- Elminster, probably.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:47 pm 

Sshamath is a trade city where even bugbear runs his own business, so I guess trading is alright. What is not alright is surfacer RP, who are either acting brazen like "haha funny drow, buzz off I am shopping, no time for your mumble", or ignoring UD players at all with little exceptions. Unfortunately, it seems that with the current set of rules such behaviour is completely alright and you can't do anything about it. I also have to admit that the drow RP lately has become soft. Yes, UD playerbase has always been more friendly in general (at least from what I remember), but quality of drow RP used to be higher, nowadays it is harder to meet a drow who gives you chills and shows your place.

Known as:
Dasha — Smuggler, troublemaker, grandmaster of losing duels (Happy end?)
Gerfrex — Sneaky orc, self-proclaimed master of shadows (Active)
Alkor Deezelisk — Notorious spellcaster from Amn, paladin of Lathander (Semi-active)

Please don't metagame my journals.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:49 pm 

Let me rephrase my question.

Is it valid RP reason to travel down to Sshamath to visit the merchants to buy some epic equipments?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:53 pm 
Recognized Member

adobongmanok wrote:
Let me rephrase my question.

Is it valid RP reason to travel down to Sshamath to visit the merchants to buy some epic equipments?

i hope so, cause for surface orcs it the only avenue to such items. and i have been doing it for some time.

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."

Bob Marley

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

Except it's perfectly fine to whack your AFK tag on and go shopping wherever as whatever, like the paladin of ilmater did to me the other day in the Thayan Enclave.

And why travel to Sshamath to do that? Epic merchants are same on surface. BG marketplace for weapons/armour, Kraak Helzak for generic +4 merchant & Beregost for trinkets.

Mae yr Machshikhah - ???? [Hiatus]
Schezalle - The Black Claws Baeqeshel [Bio] [Stocklist] [RP] [Active]
Aeili Azenci - Baelnorn of Mystra [Deceased]

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:02 pm 

KOPOJIbPAKOB wrote:
nowadays it is harder to meet a drow who gives you chills and shows your place.

I disagree.

Harkon: Protector
Enmerkar: Keeper of the Old Ways

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:04 pm 

Tsidkenu wrote:
Except it's perfectly fine to whack your AFK tag on and go shopping wherever as whatever, like the paladin of ilmater did to me the other day in the Thayan Enclave.

And why travel to Sshamath to do that? Epic merchants are same on surface. BG marketplace for weapons/armour, Kraak Helzak for generic +4 merchant & Beregost for trinkets.

Well...can't spill the UD secret.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:11 pm 
Recognized Member

Tsidkenu wrote:
Except it's perfectly fine to whack your AFK tag on and go shopping wherever as whatever

not judging anyone else, but i find that pretty tacky and if i was a thayan in the enclave i might not like that so much. feels to me like it devalues the merchant you worked hard to get.

Bob Marley

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:25 pm 
Recognized Member

"This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world. Please respect the setting and stay in-character (IC)."

Just sayin'....

|> Hurgon WyrmstoneKraak Helzak Ambassador & Voice of the Deep Mountain
|> Preceptor Phasorin ZauPurification through Fire
|> Henryk Urde — Swords of Justice

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

And when guilds were given merchants, it was on the caveat they were not exclusive. An orc or drow can go to Doron Amar and buy +4 dex bracers if they like, as long as they have AFK flagged it is perfectly fine, although definitely cheaper to go via Moire as 3rd party :P

More RP that way too.

Mae yr Machshikhah - ???? [Hiatus]
Schezalle - The Black Claws Baeqeshel [Bio] [Stocklist] [RP] [Active]
Aeili Azenci - Baelnorn of Mystra [Deceased]

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:38 pm 

KOPOJIbPAKOB wrote:
haha funny drow, buzz off I am shopping, no time for your mumble

That is literally how my drow reacts to the 'drow' that 'immerse' their 'speech' with 'drow language' for no other reason than to 'role-play' in the most 'agreeable' manner.

After all, there exists a multitude of reasons why a fully grown adult drow would be unable to speak properly.

• Setting based dietary limitions: Charasteristicly the underdark has only scarce sources of both edible food and fresh drinking water. Therefore, chronic starvation in early childhood may have not only stunted the height growth of drow populace, but also had a negative effect on the brain itself and produced the obvious difficulties when it comes to basic communication.
  • Setting based dietary choices: Charasteristicly a life lived in the underdark is that of chronic misery. Thus it is easy to imagine how a member of the drow populace would be keen to find any relief to their lives filled with tedium of constant struggle and the horrors that linger as their constant companions. Therefore the slurred and broken speech some members of the drow populace show could be attributed as a side effect to a constant use of various intoxicants of curious natures and sources.
  • Setting based social economics: Charasteristicly the underdark is a violent location. The basic premise is the surfival of the fittest and that translates to the age of adage of might creating right. The threat of violence is not something that awaits behind the distant horizon, because in the underdark it is staring right at you. Therefore, any unlocky bout of violance at any point of a character's life could have caused a brain injury that has resulted in a form of aphasia that makes it impossible to pronounce certain words correctly.
  • Setting based religious tendencies: Charasteristicly the drow populace worships spiders. Spider adorn their weapons, armor, clothing, architecture, and the creature itself can be seen as something holy and its presence can be seen as highly positive. But if spiders are known for something other than their creepy number of hairy legs, it is the possibility of delivering a venomous or toxic bite. A bite is a sign of aggression, and when recieved from a creature considered as holy, instead of seeking appropriate medical aid the drow populace can have a tendency to attempt to hide this sign of 'divine' disfavour. Yet the venom or toxins in the spider's bite could potentionally limit the bitten party's ability to communicate due to suffering constant hallucianation and numbness of the tongue, alongside with respitatory difficulties.
  • Setting based...: Charasteristicly you probably get the general gist of idea now...

Thus, the mental image I get from the above 'drow' characters that 'immerse' their 'speech' with 'drow language' for no other reason than to 'role-play' in the most 'agreeable' manner is that of an: mentally challenged, physically stunted, intoxicated, spider petting simpleton.

Yet curiously the players behind said characters rarely seem to agree with the said mental image. If it is brought up, they are at best confused or at worst offended by it. I do not know why, after all, it makes perfect sense based on the setting.

Thus it really is just a lot less hassle to say:
KOPOJIbPAKOB wrote:

- Elminster, probably.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:25 pm 

Sun Wukong wrote:
KOPOJIbPAKOB wrote:

That is literally how my drow reacts to the 'drow' that 'immerse' their 'speech' with 'drow language' for no other reason than to 'role-play' in the most 'agreeable' manner.

After all, there exists a multitude of reasons why a fully grown adult drow would be unable to speak properly.

• Setting based dietary limitions: Charasteristicly the underdark has only scarce sources of both edible food and fresh drinking water. Therefore, chronic starvation in early childhood may have not only stunted the height growth of drow populace, but also had a negative effect on the brain itself and produced the obvious difficulties when it comes to basic communication.
  • Setting based dietary choices: Charasteristicly a life lived in the underdark is that of chronic misery. Thus it is easy to imagine how a member of the drow populace would be keen to find any relief to their lives filled with tedium of constant struggle and the horrors that linger as their constant companions. Therefore the slurred and broken speech some members of the drow populace show could be attributed as a side effect to a constant use of various intoxicants of curious natures and sources.
  • Setting based social economics: Charasteristicly the underdark is a violent location. The basic premise is the surfival of the fittest and that translates to the age of adage of might creating right. The threat of violence is not something that awaits behind the distant horizon, because in the underdark it is staring right at you. Therefore, any unlocky bout of violance at any point of a character's life could have caused a brain injury that has resulted in a form of aphasia that makes it impossible to pronounce certain words correctly.
  • Setting based religious tendencies: Charasteristicly the drow populace worships spiders. Spider adorn their weapons, armor, clothing, architecture, and the creature itself can be seen as something holy and its presence can be seen as highly positive. But if spiders are known for something other than their creepy number of hairy legs, it is the possibility of delivering a venomous or toxic bite. A bite is a sign of aggression, and when recieved from a creature considered as holy, instead of seeking appropriate medical aid the drow populace can have a tendency to attempt to hide this sign of 'divine' disfavour. Yet the venom or toxins in the spider's bite could potentionally limit the bitten party's ability to communicate due to suffering constant hallucianation and numbness of the tongue, alongside with respitatory difficulties.
  • Setting based...: Charasteristicly you probably get the general gist of idea now...

Thus, the mental image I get from the above 'drow' characters that 'immerse' their 'speech' with 'drow language' for no other reason than to 'role-play' in the most 'agreeable' manner is that of an: mentally challenged, physically stunted, intoxicated, spider petting simpleton.

Yet curiously the players behind said characters rarely seem to agree with the said mental image. If it is brought up, they are at best confused or at worst offended by it. I do not know why, after all, it makes perfect sense based on the setting.

Thus it really is just a lot less hassle to say:
KOPOJIbPAKOB wrote:

I'm not sure what this has anything to do with the question ^. I would ask for people to stay on topic.

-To sum it up, it is still not a valid RP reason to go shopping on the other side. Also, players (UD and Surfacers) can go to the other side and shop as long as they have AFK on their head and do about their business.

-UD/Surface RP rules are still in place.

So if I see surfacers that visits Sshamath and goes to the Gem Merchant as well as the Epic Merchant, and say "We are here to visit for trade" as an RP excuse, that's an automatic breaking the rules.

Noted.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:33 pm 
Recognized Member

adobongmanok wrote:
So if I see surfacers that visits Sshamath and goes to the Gem Merchant as well as the Epic Merchant, and say "We are here to visit for trade" as an RP excuse, that's an automatic breaking the rules.

unless they have an AFK tag?

Bob Marley